**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,365 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
mid90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think biggest surprise for me was how big Cersei's knockers were. She's been hiding those things for five seasons!
They have grown and sagged since 300.
Well, that was nearly 10 years ago. And she's had a kid.

She matches Cersei more then!
It was a body double during the nude scenes.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-walk-shame

quote:
while Headey might not have been naked herself during all the shots (a body double was used)

A quote from Lena Headey in that article:

"Cersei has done wrong, but she doesn't really deserve this."

Has she even been paying attention to the things he character has done?!?!?!?
mid90
AG
quote:
I thought maybe she saw the Bolton banners burning (GRRM would be proud) b/c Littlefinger will show up and kill all the Boltons

If she really did see the Bolton banners burning, but it's at the hands of Jon Snow and not Stannis.........OMG finally some sweet revenge on this show
mid90
AG
The fact that Melisandre is back at the wall now in the show (like she is in the books) kinda confirms some sort of resurrection for Jon Snow for me.
mid90
AG
Winterfell was in freaking walking distance for Stannis' army (with no damn food), and he still decided to burn Shireen?

F*** that guy. Hope Brienne really did take him out.

Also, I sincerely hope the battle of Winterfell isn't that anticlimactic in the books. That was all kinds of letdown.
Wade_3
AG
So what storylines from the books are now pretty much over?

The Stannis march (if it follows the TV show) seems like a huge waste of time considering that Sansa and Brienne are nowhere near Winterfel at the end of the last book. Also, I don't believe Stannis killed off his wife and daughter yet, so I am not really sure why so much time was dedicated to Stannis in both the TV show and the book.

Eventually the Reek/Sansa storyline will have to mesh up to something similar in the book, so I think Reek and Sansa will head south to find Littlefinger and let him know that Stannis' army has been defeated. Is there another army that Littlefinger could use to re-take winterfell?

With that said, I'm not convinced Stannis is dead. The only major death (if I am remembering correctly) that we didn't see directly either in the book or the TV show was the Hound. In the book there were plenty of other hints that "confirmed" it, but not so much for Stannis.

I don't believe John Snow is dead for a few reasons. The first, he is too integral to the plot. Second, they made an emphasis to show his blood in the final scene. Combine that with Melisandre's ability to do blood magic and I think she saves him. I think the only person he will take revenge on is Alliser Thorne and he will forgive Oli. I suppose it is possible that he then calls on the wildlings and they are used to re-take Winterfell, but I am not sure what their motivation would be.

Just some musings.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah, that warg eyes pic was shopped. Just watched
MW03
AG
quote:
I was talking to Dan Weiss and he said Jon is really dead. But George R.R. Martin left open the possibility the character might not be dead in the books. And then that cast salary contract story came out last year and it had your name among those receiving raises for season six and an option on a seventh. So let me ask you: Is Jon really dead?

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they're being whacked]. And they said, "Look, you're gone, it's done." And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don't know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It's going to put questions into your head and into fans' heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, "This is how it is." If anything in the future isnot like that, then I don't know about it it's only in David and Dan and George's heads. But I've been told I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm not coming back next season. So that's all I can tell you, really.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Winterfell was in freaking walking distance for Stannis' army (with no damn food), and he still decided to burn Shireen?

F*** that guy. Hope Brienne really did take him out.

Also, I sincerely hope the battle of Winterfell isn't that anticlimactic in the books. That was all kinds of letdown.
he's outnumbered and in the north during winter, what were you expecting? they only way I see him winning is if the other Northerners turncoat on the boltons, but they want a king of the north... given what happened with the show. I'm not optimistic regarding Stannis. his plot line was to get Melisandre to the wall in time to revive Jon.
MW03
AG
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview
Wade_3
AG

quote:
quote:

A quote from Lena Headey in that article:

"Cersei has done wrong, but she doesn't really deserve this."

Has she even been paying attention to the things he character has done?!?!?!?
Yea, I didn't feel any pity for Cersei at all. I don't understand how anybody could. i didn't even feel any sympathy for Jaime when his daughter died in his arms. Nor did I feel badly when Stannis' army was massacred.

Honestly, the only people worth rooting for in this show are Jon, Sam and Arya. Maybe Sansa but she annoys me more than anything.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Jon Snow certainly may be dead, but maybe the trick is that his real last name is Targareyn
mid90
AG
quote:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

This could be completely wrong, but how cool would it be if D&D actually told Kit "yeah, you're gone. He's dead for good" to make sure that convincing interviews like this get put out there, only to call him and be like "we need you on set" and try to keep everything discrete?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
I was talking to Dan Weiss and he said Jon is really dead. But George R.R. Martin left open the possibility the character might not be dead in the books. And then that cast salary contract story came out last year and it had your name among those receiving raises for season six and an option on a seventh. So let me ask you: Is Jon really dead?

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they're being whacked]. And they said, "Look, you're gone, it's done." And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don't know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It's going to put questions into your head and into fans' heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, "This is how it is." If anything in the future isnot like that, then I don't know about it it's only in David and Dan and George's heads. But I've been told I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm not coming back next season. So that's all I can tell you, really.

saw that...but he has to say that....

as the article points out he also reportedly got a raise and signed for seasons 6 and possibly 7...and rumors of him in filiming already for season 6 in belfast...

i've said it will leak that he is involved in filming...

my prediction is they also purposefully leak that it is just his burial/funerla pyre.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Jon Snow certainly may be dead, but maybe the trick is that his real last name is Targareyn
also a possibility that he is resurrected and changes appearance...we don't know.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:

Strange.

Gotta admit, I understand the killing of Ned Stark, the killing of Renley Baratheon and the other killings on the show/book but I don't understand the purpose of killing of Jon Snow.

Maybe they will make it clearer next season but it seems like more of a shock killing than something that will further the plot.
bangobango
AG
Article says he cut his hair, too. I suppose he could just be flat out lying, but kind of surprised he would do that. Seems like a good way to piss off that reporter.
hunter2012
AG
Well on the bright side, they won't be able to keep it quiet if he's on set during shooting. They may try to say it's for his "funeral" scene, but we would all know the truth.
MW03
AG
I mean, it makes sense that he didn't get a present if he hasn't wrapped... Right? RIGHT?!
Saxsoon
AG
He said he is dead and that he is not coming back. GRRM is pretty incessant on coming back changes you . . .
MW03
AG
A couple of changes...

In the book, doesn't Jon force Sam to Old Town and not vice versa? Also, Jon's last word is "Ghost" in the book correct?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
quote:
^
Why would she need Thoros? They're both red priest(ess)es. Presumably they all learn the same dark magic?
I don't think she'll find Thoros, but (as I've continuously pointed out) Mel has never been able to bring anyone back to life. Her version of Rhllor's power is very, very different than that of Thoros. So much so that I question if Rhllor is the one that has been granting her power.
Mel has not attempted or even had the opportunity to bring someone back to life in the books. That doesn't mean she doesn't know how or doesn't have the ability to. Also, Thoros was stated multiple times to have been a terrible priest in the books, and only initially brought Beric back by accident while performing the traditional burial ritual of the followers of the light (which is the most likely fate of Jon). Also, Beric demonstrates similar powers to Mel, like seeing visions in fire, so I'm not so sure that their versions of magic are that different.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
PatAg
AG
Jon sends Aemon to oldtown to prevent his blood from being used. sends sam with him
JCRiley09
AG
And gilly and mance's baby son
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Also, although an entertaining change, how stupid was it to have Ellaria kill Myrcela? You poison her with a poison that kills her within minutes, leaving no doubt who was responsible which essentially weakens Dorne's position, as now they have a hostage situation with Trystan.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Also, although an entertaining change, how stupid was it to have Ellaria kill Myrcela? You poison her with a poison that kills her within minutes, leaving no doubt who was responsible which essentially weakens Dorne's position, as now they have a hostage situation with Trystan.

Yeah, I like the plot better in the book on this one, with the sand snakes trying to crown Myrcela as queen. Here it just comes across as petty.

I know this got overshadowed but how awesome was Arya's scenes, with H'ghar being shown to be what he truly was, just a face. They've nailed the faceless men perfectly in the show. I was also jumping for joy during her torture/murder of Trant. It was so satisfying...
marble rye
AG
Least favorite episode of the season. Just terrible. I dont know why I thought Cersei had to shave her head (was it that way in the books)?

I feel robbed.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
somone just posts this in a facebook group about ASOIAF. I'll transalte for you guys:
quote:
Here's a hint, I live in Belfast and met Kit and Rose yesterday. I asked to take a picture and he said .. He is forbidden to take pictures because the media can not know he is in Belfast. He hinted that it is because of name than happens in today's episode .. After all, what was he doing in town if Jon would not appear in the sixth season? .. Life is dark and full of spoilers guys.

G Martin 87
AG
Can't recall if this has been linked before, but it's a good review of all the AA prophecies.

KidDoc
AG
quote:
She wanted war. That is her only interest. She doesn't care if the prince dies in King's Landing-- she wants war and to destroy all of the Lannisters.

rhutton125
AG
I'm shocked that anyone would think Stannis is still alive in the show. Brienne ditched Sansa (so much for that Oathkeeping) to get revenge. She's said before she'd kill him. She told him she was going to kill him. She lifts the sword and (IIRC) we hear the swing. Just because someone doesn't die on-screen doesn't mean they don't die. It'd be a complete 180 for her to suddenly spare him. Besides, he's bleeding out anyway. And if the Bolton's catch him they'll flay him alive.

I suppose it's a possibility... but it's a pretty stupid one. It'd be a Marvel Comics level of plot armor (where no one ever truly dies, except Uncle Ben).
plowboy1065
S
Brienne didn't actually ditch Sansa. The candle wasn't lit until after Brienne was already gone. Just like in real life, wait on a woman for months and the moment you move on she comes running back
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
She wanted war. That is her only interest. She doesn't care if the prince dies in King's Landing-- she wants war and to destroy all of the Lannisters.

And she doesn't give a crap about Trystane. Not her kid.

She sealed her fate with Doran thought I think. He was certainly not in on it, and will take it as a treasonous act. She better be out of there quick.
El Chupacabra
Help me out

Season 1, book 1
Season 2, book 2
Season 3 & 4, book 3
Season 5, parts of books 4& 5?
Season 6?
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
A couple of changes...

In the book, doesn't Jon force Sam to Old Town and not vice versa? Also, Jon's last word is "Ghost" in the book correct?
Others have already answered your main question, but I was wondering why they waited so long for this to happen. I realize Sam had other roles to play at the Wall this season, but doesn't it feel a little late in the game to send someone to train as a maester? Sam acted like he had plenty of time to get back before he was "really needed." What makes him think he knows the timetable of the Others?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.