**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,369 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The guy who plays Maester Aemon should be up for an Emmy for guest stars. I've never been more convinced that someone is the character they play than him.

I've always believed Ramsay (book and now show) is out to kill Roose, although I think Roose might have the same intention for Ramsay.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ramsay is too cowardly to kill Roose...i agree about the actor playing Aemon, also I want to know if he's that feeble in real life... He plays it so well
MW03
AG
We're DEFINITELY going to be out of source material by the start of the next season. I guess it makes sense that GRRM was so adamant about finishing the next book before that season starts.
MW03
AG
Also, it was a mistake to cut Strong Belwas.
Thunder18
AG
quote:
Selmy is the ultimate badass in the books, I hated the casual way to kill such a cool character. The book Selmy would have kicked the ambush right in it's ass. There was no doubt in the book that he could have killed the Kingsguards easily when he was dismissed.

Unfortunately the writers this season are trying to polish a turd without the new storylines from the books(Greyjoy ambitions, young Grif, Quentyn Martell). I suppose the best they can do is to condense.

Blue star. HATE Ser Barristan going out like that in the show
rhutton125
AG
Kinda sucks for Barristan - he's mostly silent but legit in season 1, is absent in season 2, appears in season 3 to serve Dany, is too similar to Jorah until they send Jorah away, and then dies having like 2 lines of dialogue in season 5.

He's a bamf in the books. Top-10 character for sure.

Side note - I feared it, but it makes sense - I love the decision to give Jorah greyscale. He's pretty similar to Griff, and knowing that that whole Aegon plot is gone, it made sense to roll the two characters into one. Make Jorah even more of a tragic hero, knowing that his days are numbered.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Also, it was a mistake to cut Strong Belwas.

could appear when they reopen the fighting pits...and then join dany's kingsguard. doubtful though.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
Selmy is the ultimate badass in the books, I hated the casual way to kill such a cool character. The book Selmy would have kicked the ambush right in it's ass. There was no doubt in the book that he could have killed the Kingsguards easily when he was dismissed.

Unfortunately the writers this season are trying to polish a turd without the new storylines from the books(Greyjoy ambitions, young Grif, Quentyn Martell). I suppose the best they can do is to condense.

Blue star. HATE Ser Barristan going out like that in the show
Agreed. He always seemed like he could battle like Aragorn in LotR (taking out hundreds of enemies at a time). I guess he still did take out quite a few at one time and seemed to inspire Grey Worm to finish the rest. You just want someone like him to go out in front of everyone though, not in an alley.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm Not reading this thread through because I'm watching the replay right now, buts it's no coincidence that maester Aemon is talking about Daenerys having no relatives and Jon walks right in

This.

The timing was just so that anyone who knows the meaning of R+L=J would have noticed the same. If his lineage is ever confirmed, we'll end up pointing back to that scene as a little knowing wink.
I completely agree. I think my comment about this was lost at the bottom of page 24. It's the second week in a row that they are discussing R+L, Targs, etc. and then discussing Jon, having Jon walk into a room, etc. They are either laying the groundwork for the reveal or are trolling book readers hard. My gf knows about R+L=J even as a non-reader, and she said she wouldn't be making these connections with knowledge of the theory existing. I assume these small connections could be used for ""previously on GoT" footage.
aggie93
AG
Still not over the Barristan thing either. I remember reading Book 5 and all of a sudden seeing "Barristan" as the subject line on the next chapter and thinking "**** Yeah!" and it didn't disappoint. Thought he was cool until we actually got inside his head and realized what a real boss he was. One of the leaked Book 6 Chapters is a Barristan as well and it's great.

The whole Hizdar thing in the Show just seems so off, when they showed Dany feeding the Mereenese to her dragon I thought they had cut it but obviously not. The real issue is in the Show they haven't made Hizdahr in to an interesting character. He isn't nearly as sleazy feeling as the Book version and it is harder to believe he is really behind the Harpy. He has never shown any thought toward marrying Dany and then suddenly when he looks like a ***** on his knees basically begging for his life she says she will open the fighting pits and marry him? Doesn't even get him to promise to stop the Harpy, just decides to give him everything he wants and marry him out of nowhere. It was already weak from the Books because essentially it is her giving up on going to Westeros, this makes even less sense.

I could almost see it if they had built Hizdahr up more and then she could back out on the wedding or have some plot all along but the way she is doing it in the Show just makes it look like she is either quitting or just an idiot. No one wants her to stay in Mereen and here she isn't even doing it to "save" her "children".

I thought the Stone Men stuff was ok but inconsistent. Stone Men are supposed to be weakened by disease, not one more set of zombies with ninja strength. It was good action but I guess I have never thought of GOT as a zombie show and they seem to be wanting to make it one, was almost waiting for one of the Stone Men to scream "Brains!". Dragon flying over was nails,

Feeling much better about the Sansa/Bolton storyline. They seem to be connecting some points together and I like how Sansa is handling herself. The line about how this was her home but the people were strangers was a nice veiled threat but she kept things soft enough so as not to raise too much suspicion. I liked how Roose told Ramsay the story of his conception just as a little reminder that he was a ruthless psycho a LONG time before Ramsay was and he better not forget it. Going to be interesting to see how they develop things with Sansa and Theon which is clearly coming, along with the Brienne setup.

Lots of Wall stuff that is setting up Jon for his downfall and agree the Maester Aemon scenes were great.
aggie93
AG
Oh and BTW, I think Ramsay figures out his side piece is deceiving him and goes Medieval on her.
Al Bula
AG
Still a very entertaining TV show despite HBO consolidation. It's really hard to blame HBO sense the source material is more detailed than the average mouth breather can comprehend.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Oh and BTW, I think Ramsay figures out his side piece is deceiving him and goes Medieval on her.

Yeah, her taking Sansa to the kennels was a curious move. Ramsey may be a kitten compared to the books, but he's still nuts.
redline248
AG
Poster on the show only thread predicted the end for Jon Snow
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Poster on the spoiler thread obsessing on the show-only thread again.
Post removed:
by user
redline248
AG
Why does it matter if it's posted here?
Post removed:
by user
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
There are also two that just agreed that Jon and Dany are the two most untouchable characters. Can't wait for the knifing. As much as it will kill me to wait for Book 6 or Season 6, I hope they don't let us know Jon's fate this season. I just don't see them starting a new season with that big of a reveal though. Much more discussion will be generated during the hiatus if they do what someone else suggested and have a very basic reveal like his eyes opening or him walking out of a fire or something. Giving the WTF moment and then going to the black screen without any further details will drive everyone crazy.
Post removed:
by user
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
Why read that thread? And why would you post it here?
Can't speak for redline, but I find it interesting to see how others perceive the show. Also, they make connections over there that I miss sometimes.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, her taking Sansa to the kennels was a curious move. Ramsey may be a kitten compared to the books, but he's still nuts.
thats what i thought at first too......but.......

later i was rethinking what happened and it occurred to me maybe Ramsay sent her to do that....to push the issue with Reek and Sansa. why? he is a sadistic monster...wanted to see her reaction...who knows....

but think about it...the girl suddenly has a brilliant idea to show her Reek....and the very next time Reek is in Ramsay's presence he questions Reek if there is something he needs to tell him...seems awfully convenient, like he knew because he sent her to show Sansa.....

i'm not sure but it could be.
Post removed:
by user
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Same situation as Sassappis....

Except my wife is a speed reader and read all 5 books twice between seasons one and two
MW03
AG
My wife is show only, obsessed with it, and will be completely blind-sided when Jon's end comes. It's going to be amazing. She was yelling at the TV last night that they'd better not roll credits on Tyrion in the water.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
My wife is show only, obsessed with it, and will be completely blind-sided when Jon's end comes. It's going to be amazing. She was yelling at the TV last night that they'd better not roll credits on Tyrion in the water.
Same situation here. CAN'T. WAIT. She also loves Jorah, so she wasn't too happy last night.
redline248
AG
What is there to love about Jorah?
chase128
AG
Hizdar muttered valar morghulis before he thought he was about to be fed to the dragons. Is that a common saying or is it something only Braavosi say
MW03
AG
I do think it's a little interesting that the change with the Quentyn Martell story going away is that Dany basically burns an "innocent" man alive just like dear old dad. As where big dumb Quentyn tried to tame a dragon and got roasted for his trouble, Dany basically fed that dude the dragons to scare people. How very Aerys II of her.

Incidentally, aside from Selmy dying like crap and that being a bummer, what the hell is GRRM/HBO going to do now that we know they are going forward with the Dany/Hizdar marriage? There's no Strong Belwas to stop her from eating the locusts, and now there's no Selmy to capture Hizdar when he turns into a giant P about killing Dany's dragons??
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Common saying in Essos.
MW03
AG
OnlyForNow
AG
I would imagine that Strong Belwas could still be introduced as someone else said now that the pits are opened back up and/or that once again that role is rolled into someone else's.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I do think it's a little interesting that the change with the Quentyn Martell story going away is that Dany basically burns an "innocent" man alive just like dear old dad. As where big dumb Quentyn tried to tame a dragon and got roasted for his trouble, Dany basically fed that dude the dragons to scare people. How very Aerys II of her.

Incidentally, aside from Selmy dying like crap and that being a bummer, what the hell is GRRM/HBO going to do now that we know they are going forward with the Dany/Hizdar marriage? There's no Strong Belwas to stop her from eating the locusts, and now there's no Selmy to capture Hizdar when he turns into a giant P about killing Dany's dragons??

Assuming Jorah gets back to Dany and she takes him back (who knows) he could take on anything Selmy would have done including taking Hizdar prisoner....with Selmy gone and who knows about Grey Worm it would seem she is in need of some council and defense more than just Daario.

and like i said before, Belwas could still be introduced with the re-opening of the fighting pits and could be added to her guard before the poisoning incident. or could be welcomed into the queens box as champion and still be the one to partake of the locusts.
rhutton125
AG
It's likely that they cut the poisoned locusts thing out entirely. We tend to get hung up on the minor details on this thread, despite the bigger details changing rapidly.

If Hizdar doesn't seem like the guy behind the Harpies, then maybe he isn't. Or maybe there's some other attempt on her life. Etc. etc. There's a lot that can change between now and the time Dany hops on Drogon's back.

But then again... there could indeed be poisoned locusts. It's just that that's definitely one of the least crucial parts of that scene.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.