**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,341 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
What would the White Walkers do if they won and killed all the living? I mean, after that, how do you find the motivation to get up in the morning?
thats why the creatures never win in these things....they are there to serve as some ultimate scary threat...thats all.
Except GRRM has tried to go his own way in fantasy. I still don't think that is how he wants it to end, but it'll definitely be a bittersweet ending that is likely to leave everyone in a funk.
redline248
AG
I think an interesting question is will it end with the walkers being destroyed forever, or just beaten back for thousands of years like the last time?
The Debt
quote:
I think an interesting question is will it end with the walkers being destroyed forever, or just beaten back for thousands of years like the last time?
Do you think dragons are going to travel north of the wall?
aggie93
AG
FWIW, I can't see the WW being more than a side story in the end. They may kill a few primary characters but they can't realistically win. Only the really hard core fantasy types would enjoy that type of ending. Besides the prophecies have already essentially set up the story so that the WW lose.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
So you don't think The Others will ever get south of the wall? It's just an ominous distraction in the background?

I think both Martin and HBO have invested way, way too much of story in the Others for it to be only that.
No...I mean they may get south of the wall...in fact I'm sure the battle for the north will involve them at some point...I just don't think they ever conquer Westeros....

one possible scenario where they might though is - if they do conquer westeros, only then are defeated and driven back by Dany and her forces and Dragons. that I could see.

I'm just saying the end game cannot be the Others win.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
Do you think dragons are going to travel north of the wall?

That's also a good question. I don't see why they couldn't, without knowing more about how cold temps affect them.

Why didn't Aegon the conqueror go north of the wall to claim that territory? Talked out of it by the lords? He doesn't seem like the type to stop bc of a pre-existing border.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think westeros is the narrowest there. Purely military aspect.
AgLaw
AG
quote:
I think westeros is the narrowest there. Purely military aspect.
And it's the end of productive/fertile lands. Take as much land as you can use, and fortify yourself at the most strategic point thereafter.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
we need an "odds to it the iron throne" pickem.

Hodor: 500 to 1
Patchface: 50 to 1
Stannis: 60,000 to 1

Put me down for 5 Internets on Podrick
The Debt
Put 3 down on benjen
The Debt
I can't wager any more.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
What the ****?!
Losman
AG
That was shocking
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I remember reading that a prominent character wad going to die that hasn't in the books but I figured that was already covered with Mance Rayder. Damn! Did grey worm die too??
bigbass1170
AG
Holy. ****.
redline248
AG
If I was Daenerys I'd let my dragons loose and have them burn everyone in that damn city.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah wow!!!!!...we are somewhere different now.....holy crap.

I'm pretty sure Barristan Selmy is dead...not sure about Grey Worm though. I guess this is really accelerating and personalizing the Harpy attacks to get Daenerys to marry that Hizdhar dude......and open the fighting pits...which leads to the Dragon attack and Daenerys off to the waste lands..I'm guessing thats a season fianle for her story...so that'll be later....

the preview scene with Tyrion seeing the dragon was cool...

I loved his scene with Jorah...Tyrion figured out what was going on, summed up Jorahs problem and pissed him off all in about 2 minutes...classic Tyrion.

also the red priestess line to Jon was awesome...."you know nothing jon snow"...i think he wet himself right then.

and I guess we are taking a different approach with the high septon and the trial - not going after Maergery but her brother instead...interesting....still setting up to flip back on cersei though we know from the leaked info about her scene walking the streets nude.

also the Jaime and Bronn banter and bits were funny - not wanting to row or dig with one hand, only fighting one guy...and taking that sword in his gold hand. plus the introduction of the sand sisters and the setup of the plot about myrcella.

it was really a great episode overall...the first great one of this season...and the first time as a book reader where I felt what TV only viewers have felt all along...WTF is going on!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
redline248
AG
Yeah, it was a great episode. I thought for sure Barristan and grey worn were going to f some dudes up. The rest of those Unsullied went out like bttches. They should have slaughtered that bunch.
redbaron788
AG
Yeah, for being some of the greatest soldiers ever they sure got their asses beat by a bunch of pampered fools armed mostly with daggers
OnlyForNow
AG
I imagine neither of them are dead (maybe grey worm) I think semly plays too big of a role going forward.
MW03
AG
Selmy sure seems dead.
Zeke1995
AG
quote:
I imagine neither of them are dead (maybe grey worm) I think semly plays too big of a role going forward.

Pretty much my reaction when reading the first book and Ned Stark gets killed -- "He's probably not really dead because he had a lot to do coming up in the plot ..."
bigbass1170
AG
Also, Melisandre
OnlyForNow
AG
I admit I watched the leaked version earlier this week and haven't seen next weeks previews heard that was a give away that he is in fact dead.

Damn, oh well. Dude was old anyhow.
mid90
AG
quote:
Yeah, for being some of the greatest soldiers ever they sure got their asses beat by a bunch of pampered fools armed mostly with daggers
Seriously.

Grey Worm is the only dude who can fight? What the hell did all the rest of them get their dicks cut off for?
mid90
AG
nvm
mid90
AG
Touching scene between Barristan and Daenarys right before Barristan gets stabbed in a street fight?

He dead.
mid90
AG
And since when does Stannis have feels?
SoTXAg09
AG
quote:
quote:
Seriously.

Grey Worm is the only dude who can fight? What the hell did all the rest of them get their dicks cut off for?

The book touches on this when the Unsullied are getting killed in the streets. They arent good fighters individually, their strength is on the battlefield where numbers and discipline give them the advantage.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Seriously.

The book touches on this when the Unsullied are getting killed in the streets. They arent good fighters individually, their strength is on the battlefield where numbers and discipline give them the advantage.
I can understand all the 2-man patrols getting slaughtered. I'm mostly talking about Grey Worm's cadre of 6-7 unsullied, who weren't caught off guard, and had time to actually do something.
mid90
AG
reposted from the TV thread

Post removed:
by user
Thunder18
AG
Really bummed if Barristan is dead
cone
AG
f this stupid show
mid90
AG
Even though we've had several character deaths, I can't help but feel that nothing significant has happened this season. Am I crazy?

I think at this mark last season, the huge shocker of the purple wedding happened. So far, all we've got is lots of story building. (Although Mance and [supposedly] Barristan dying can be qualified as big events, I don't feel like they've affected the world of Ice and Fire significantly....yet).

Hopefully we'll get some big plot action soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.