**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,332 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
All of this could have been avoided had Ned told Robert "No, I won't be your Hand".. Robert B would have return home broken hearted and picked a Lannister.. who would have ran the country quite well and kept the piece.. oh sure Cersie would have killed her husband at some point and Stanis would have still rebel but this time Ned would most likely sided with Stanis. The Stormlord, North, Riverlands and Vale (assuming sister love and all..) vs King Landing and the Lannister. Ned would have kept the Boltons and Frey in check and ensure Rob married the Frey girl. Stanis and Ned armies would have taken King Landing. Stanis would be named King and then march the combined Armies North to fight whitewalker.. Theon Greyjoy would never have been sent to home and would have kept his staff...no Reek.

Bran would have not gone up North of the Wall.. but it would not have matter because the Wall would have fallen to Mance since Stanis never came up to help Jon Snow earlier.. i.e. his Army would be in King Landing and only march North after word of the Wall fallen to free folks.

With Stanis trying to recapture the wall with Ned.. they leave the Capital open to a combined attack of the Golden Company.. and Queen Ta.. oh nevermind she would still be in Mereen.. who takes the City with little interference. Renly still bangs Flower lord.

All cause Ned could not say "No"
Interesting yes....but you still would have had Viserys and Dany in Essos...and likely it plays out the same and you still hve Dany and her Dragons at some point. And you still would have had Jon at the wall, but likely with a little more backing from the North, which likely means he doesn;t end up as Lord Commander.....

eveything happens for a reason.
bangobango
AG
quote:
Just like how there is no way Ned could be executed, he is way too vital for the story. I think LSH has distorted expectations for many fans. Resurrection happens in this universe so it must apply to this character that I love.

I personally want to see that R+L=J and still have him permanently dead. I don't know how the repercussions work out though...

Then again I speculate that the white walkers winning is very realistic. Westeros has hit a winter after a major war that has torn the country apart. It is primed for being overtaken. It would be kind of neat to have DoS to be about a mass exodus across the narrow sea with Dany(or whoever) delaying the WW as long as possible.
It wouldn't be neat. It would suck balls.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Rewatching season 1 and reading the books again has made me realize there are a ton of moments when one character's decision could have changed everything. If Ned had backed Renley, he would have had more fighting men with him and, if I remember correctly, Baelish and the gold cloaks would have backed him. You'd be looking at the North. Riverlands, Stormlands, and Highgarden united. If Joffrey had listened to his mother and advisors and let Ned take the black, Robb would have never rebelled. At worst, they would have sat things out like Dorne while the Westerman and the crown fought Stannis and Renley. It's pretty cool to go back and see those moments where all of Westeros hung on one person's decision
AtlAg05
AG
And the series would last two books and everyone lived happily ever after....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Going back a couple, if Ned had not gone to Kings Landing, Robert would have kept attempting to assassinate Daenerys...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
There was no Coldhands in the show right?

Also, in the show didn't they end one episode or season with some weird Others Round table and one of Crastors babies being taken before them??? Was that ever explained?
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
There was no Coldhands in the show right?

Also, in the show didn't they end one episode or season with some weird Others Round table and one of Crastors babies being taken before them??? Was that ever explained?

That was meant to show you that the Others are human. They converted the baby to one of them.

That was a huge reveal to book readers because their origin had not been explained.
redline248
AG
Also raises the question how did they convert in the first place?
AggieSouth06
With Timberland on Ned's side, producing his mixtape, how could he lose?
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
With Timberland on Ned's side, producing his mixtape, how could he lose?

Haha, I missed that. Autocorrect on my Kindle has burned me a couple of times now.
SouthTexasAg06
AG
What's worse is that you're autocorrect automatically goes to Timberland...
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I'm just glad it didn't correct it to Riverdance
redline248
AG
It will from now on
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
D'oh!
Agustus Caesar
AG
Holy s!
Who's ready for tonight?
Winter is coming mfers!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Holy s!
Who's ready for tonight?
Winter is coming mfers!
YEAH!!

i'm thinking some action starts tonight.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You think the Starks change their motto whenever winter gets here? Maybe to like, "Holy Dick It's Cold"
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
You think the Starks change their motto whenever winter gets here? Maybe to like, "Holy Dick It's Cold"

Followed by "Oops, sorry about that, Theon."
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

Followed by "Oops, sorry about that, Theon."
AtlAg05
AG
quote:

Take it to the humor thread!
The Dog Lord
AG
Jon always comes back eh? Confirming his rebirth or just trolling?
AggieSouth06
That last 20 minutes was amazing. So strong. Wow.
redbaron788
AG
It was pretty cool to see the look of surprise on that white walkers face at the Valyrian steel not breaking
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!!!!

that was incredible...no preview of it either, I don't think anyone saw that coming, especially non book readers, but even book readers have not had any battle like that.....

absolutely amazing last 20 minutes....better than Blackwater, better than the batttle at the wall, better than the red wedding, beter than joffrey's death, better than dany sicking the dragons on that guy for his unsullied.......seriously might be the best episode of the series.

OMG...and in the 8th epsiode.

So much awesome stuff in that...and completely overshadows Tyrion and Dany which was AMAZING!!!!!
AND Cersei getting her just desserts.....love that too.
And Arya....And Sansa finding out about Bran and Rickon.....

Tormund was killing me - first he said Jon was a pretty boy (prettier than his daughters) then he calls Stannis a C*** and basically the only reason Jon didn't die was Tormund stadning up for him and telling them he mercy killed Mance. And Jon vs. the white walker was awesome.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Jon always comes back eh? Confirming his rebirth or just trolling?
Other thoughts besides the quote above which I think is most significant:
  • Confirmed that Valyrian steel can kill an Other
  • The Night's King looks like **** compared to the one from last season
  • I hate the members of the army of the dead that look like skeletons and act like zombies. The kids toward the end looked great and so did the "new recruits"
  • I thought Arya might pass on killing Ser Meryn to try to commit to her new life of being no one, but I wasn't thinking that it would open a spot in the Kingsguard for Robert Strong, so now I'm thinking she goes ahead with it after all
  • Holy crap Sansa knows her brothers are (possibly) alive
  • Holy crap Tyrion and Dany now have scenes together, and he is advising her
pb488
AG
great episode. tyrion and dany in private was great; the 'wheel of thrones' reminded me of mad men for some reason. the entire hardhome sequence was awesome.
mazzag
AG
Best episode evar!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
seriously my ranking now goes:

11. The Lion and The Rose (season 4, episode 2) - The purple wedding/joffrey
10. And Now His Watch Is Ended (season 3 episode 4) - "dracarys" Dany unleashes the dragons
9. The Laws of Gods and Men (season 4 episode 6) - tyrion on trial
8. The Children (season 4 episode 10) - brienne vs. the hound, stannis saves the wall, tyrion kills tywin and shae
7. Fire and Blood (Season 1 episode 10) - dany births the dragons
6. Watchers on the Wall (season 4 episode 9) - battle at the wall
5. Baelor (Season 1 epsisode 9) - Ned
4. The Mountain and the Viper (Season 4 episode 8) - duh
3. The Rains Of Castemere (season 3 episode 9) - red wedding
2. Blackwater (season 2 episode 9) - blackwater
1. Hardhome (Season 5 episode 8) - dany+tyrion, bitter ugly cersei, white walker/others battle at hardhome

Season 4 has still been the best with 4 episodes in that top 11.....
mazzag
AG
oops. Nm
KidDoc
AG
Great episode. Most interesting to me was Cersei's maester and his foreshadowing. Time will tell!

What do you guys make of Jon coughing up blood? He got smacked pretty good maybe a lung contusion?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
stoeln from non spoiler thread

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Alan Sepinwall agrees...best ever. Love his reviews.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-game-of-thrones-hardhome-are-you-not-entertained

quote:
It's been 23 minutes since "Hardhome" ended as I start to write this review. In that 23 minutes, I have stared at my television, breathed heavily, and tried very hard to do anything but goggle at what I just experienced. I've been in a daze, the kind of daze I feel when I experience a show or movie that transcends even the abundant greatness we see every day in television, and that wraps me so tightly in its web that I can think of nothing else for a long time after it's done. Sometimes, it comes from the kind of spectacle we got throughout the incredible second half of "Hardhome" far and away the best and biggest action sequence in the life of this series.

quote:
"Game of Thrones" has given us spectacle before, of course, at the battle of the Blackwater, at Dany's dragons burning the slavers of Astapor, at last season's siege of Castle Black. But it had never given us spectacle on quite this scale, and certainly not with the intensity and relentlessness. From the moment the clouds started to gather above Hardhome until the moment Jon's boat rowed away from shore as the lead White Walker(*) raised his arms in smug triumph raising more walking dead soldiers into his army as he did so there was no let-up, only shock and awe. Benioff, Weiss and director Miguel Sapochnik conjured up one jaw-dropping image after another, from the giant Wun Wun emerging from the burning hall, shrugging zombies from his back like gnats, to the Walkers sending another horde of undead soldiers hurtling over the cliff to join the battle so much faster.
Greeze06
AG
What do you mean "call" white walkers?

Why do we assume the leader is the Nights King?

Really good episode!
Houston Lee
AG
That was one of the best episodes of all episodes.

Why?

Because for once the book readers and the non book readers had no idea what was to happen. We all experienced it for the first time.

And it was awesome.
M.C. Swag
AG
Besides the "Ice crown" on his head, HBO listed his character as "Nights King" in their end credits last season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.