**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,321 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
marble rye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What if he wins, gets his hands on Dany and gives her greyscale? That'd be great, too, for some good schadenfreude.
I thought Targs were immune to greyscale which is why Tyrion made it through the attack and said he was untouched.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
What if he wins, gets his hands on Dany and gives her greyscale? That'd be great, too, for some good schadenfreude.
I thought Targs were immune to greyscale which is why Tyrion made it through the attack and said he was untouched.

i think Jorah being expelled is going to lead to him infecting the people outside meereen which leads to the dead/dying plague outside the city where Dany in the books demands to help her people and go out there.....

but i also think that won't be until next season. i mean he may infect some before/during the fighting pits thing, but the plague is next season....takes a while to spread.

i think this season is just the fighting pits and dragons.

although i guess the plague thing in the books was before the fighting pits and dragons...so they could just leave out the plague completely and have it only be a thing affecting Jorah.
agmatt06
AG
I dunno. I can't imagine Jorah doing something to hurt Dany. Doesn't seem to be in his nature.
OnlyForNow
AG
Doesn't mean he meant to...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I must say though...where we are at in the show...for book readers......

this is great for us, i was kinda lamenting the show passing the books and in some cases it hasn't anyway...

but either way, this dicussion thread is now much more interesting than it was when we pretty much knew everything coming, it was only a discussion of changes and minor plots they left out....

this is much more fun. we know some stuff anyway from more depth and background of the books, but we are nearly as surprised as non readers now.

that said...i really want book 6 before season 6.

agmatt06
AG
quote:

Jorah went back to fighting group specifically to get back to the stadium.

He's planning something that will likely end in his death to save Dany.
rhutton125
AG
I think Jorah just wants to use whatever time he has left to serve her in any way.

I don't expect Greyscale to become the new plague. First of all, that plague story was pretty forgettable. Second, there's not yet an army or even masses to infect. Third, he'd have to start swabbing his hands on everyone he meets.

Possible, but from where we are now it'd be pretty random
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:

Jorah went back to fighting group specifically to get back to the stadium.

He's planning something that will likely end in his death to save Dany.

I really think he's going to attempt to ride one of the dragons. (a la Prince Martell)
OnlyForNow
AG
He struck the master of the pits. So is it automatically transferred?
redline248
AG
I think he hit him with his elbow. Maybe it's only direct contact with the infected area...
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
quote:
Man that was an amazing end scene that would have been great in a movie, but it happened on TV!
Harhome was so much worse in the show than in the books, how could anyone betray Jon Snow after he was proven right that amazingly at Hardhome. He even had a lot of third party witnesses. I could really see Jon Snow not being stabbed on the show now after that.

Also, if you are a show only watcher, how do you go back to caring about the rest of the plots after last night? Grantland said it better than I can:
quote:
Will it be possible to downshift back into minutiae now that we know what's coming and coming fast? All the questions that have bedeviled us for years suddenly seem downright trite. Who controls the North? Will Tommen leave his chambers? Dorne: Why? Does anyone honestly care? Even Arya's deep dive into raw bar management feels extraneous now. And yet there's no way Thrones can allow the existential tumult of "Hardhome" to trickle down into every one of its myriad plots, at least not yet. There are too many hours to fill, too many scuffles in Meereen to adjudicate. But not even Mrs. Lincoln was forced to sit through the rest of the play.
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-8-recap-hardhome/
just on the Jon Snow thing......did you not see the previews for the next 2 weeks after the show?

those are fair game right...warning spoilers ahead ................

looked like Alliser Thorne retakes control of Castle Black and is staring ominously at the returning nights watch guys and wildlings at the wall....i could see jon demanding a conference or soemthing as alliser refuses to let them through...and while there the nights watch loyal to alliser turn on him and stab him.

if you did not see it...and want to scroll to the bottom here:

PREVIEW
I don't ever watch the previews, old Mad Men Breaking Bad habit I guess. In that preview they look to be north of The Wall looking to be let through at Castle Black. They were in boats at Hardhome, why not sail south of The Wall to Eastwatch?
MW03
AG
quote:
quote:
I could really see Jon Snow not being stabbed on the show now after that.
How does that change anything? No one saw him kill the White Walker and the majority of his Brothers remain at the wall and have received no new reasons to accept the wildlings in their ranks.
Yeah, whoever said it above nailed it. Tarly unintentionally talked Ollie into killing Jon with his "make the hard choice" speech.

Classic Tarly.

AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I don't expect Greyscale to become the new plague. First of all, that plague story was pretty forgettable. Second, there's not yet an army or even masses to infect. Third, he'd have to start swabbing his hands on everyone he meets.
There is WAY too much worry about the "plague" during the siege of Mereen. The "bloody flux" is just dysentery. Every besieging army in the history of warfare has suffered from it, due to unsanitary conditions in the siege lines.
AggieHank86
AG
BTW, I DO think that this was a great episode, but I was greatly disappointed with the manner in which the Wights were portrayed.

ASOIAF wights are strong and they don't stop, but they are NOT speed-demon berserkers retaining all of the fighting skills learned during their living days.

I was having flashbacks to the worst Zombie re-write in history and looking for Brad Pitt somewhere in the background.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
I think he hit him with his elbow. Maybe it's only direct contact with the infected area...

I'll ask my dad. He's a pathologist.
The Dog Lord
AG
Maybe Jorah asks the honor of shaking the hand of every noble Meereenese after he wins a fight.
LawAg05
AG
From the non-reader thread:
quote:
Now that we've seen the full white walker army I hope they advance that story along faster than Dany's army.

This was the last scene from Season 3 Ep 4 after Dany got her unsullied army. 2.5 seasons later and she still hasn't crossed the sea.

LawAg05
AG

Don't know why this map is so huge, but I saw this on reddit and they make a good point...

Ol Jock 99
AG
There is no drama going that way. Eastwatch hasn't been a location, Thorne is a Castle Black, etc, etc, etc.
The Debt
I don't mind the agile undead.

Remember when bran made it to the Raven. Same undead. I don't want lumbering wights. If that was the enemy, there is no threat. They would just bump against the Wall for 200 years and no one cares.

There's a reason why there is a huge fuggin scythe on the wall.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think the reasoning is, if you get off the boats south of the Wall, why would the Wildings who outnumber you 100 to 1, have any reason whatsoever to follow you to Castle Black and pledge their lives to fight the White Walkers?

The only leverage Jon has on them keeping their word, other than Tormmund, is that he's going to give them passage through the tunnel. If you're already south of the tunnel on free land, what's the point of kissing some crow's ass with vows and pledges?
Furlock Bones
AG

quote:
  • I hate the members of the army of the dead that look like skeletons and act like zombies. The kids toward the end looked great and so did the "new recruits"

i'm guessing the others "die off" or more appropriately rot away over time. otherwise, their growth would be exponential.
PatAg
AG
It didn't seem like they were speed demons or whatever to me, it seemed like every wildling or whoever was taking out multiple ones. As far as some being more decomposed than others, that also makes sense too, considering some have probably been dead for longer than others.
JonSnow
So we learn that Valyrian steel kills Wights. But there are only three or four Valyrian swords. There are likely more in Valyria but it is full of stone people keeping everyone out. Except if you had someone already infected, like Jorah, they could go through and not bothered. I think that is his future purpose. After of course is helps defend Danny in the pits from the Harpies.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Anyone got any theories/ideas as to what exactly happened when the White Walker struck Jon Snow in the chest (looks like it may have been his heart) and he started coughing blood?

At first I thought it was just a wound like any other but the cameras seemed to focus specifically on it in the same manner when Bronn was sliced by the Sand Snake's poison dagger.

So I guess what Im asking is, will there be and lingering effects from that blow? Did he somehow 'taint' Jon Snow in some way?
i think it was more to show their strength and power. Thenns are considered some of the strongest people in Westeros yet he destroyed Styr with ease.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
So we learn that Valyrian steel kills Wights. But there are only three or four Valyrian swords. There are likely more in Valyria but it is full of stone people keeping everyone out. Except if you had someone already infected, like Jorah, they could go through and not bothered. I think that is his future purpose. After of course is helps defend Danny in the pits from the Harpies.
that's a good call
agmatt06
AG
It's setting up a pretty interesting dynamic.

I think this episode was a hint that Westeros cannot survive a full blown attack from the white walkers if/when it comes to that.

Will this be the point where Dany comes in with her Dragons to save the day and "break the wheel?"

BTW, there's soo much parallel between this and Wheel of Time.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:

quote:
  • I hate the members of the army of the dead that look like skeletons and act like zombies. The kids toward the end looked great and so did the "new recruits"

i'm guessing the others "die off" or more appropriately rot away over time. otherwise, their growth would be exponential.
Maybe I am missing something, but I see the Others (White Walkers) and the wights (zombies) as being two, distinct "species."

The Others seem to be converted in infancy or childhood from humans into ... something else. They grow and mature. They seem to be entirely sentient. Presumably, they eventually die.

The wights are just reanimated corpses, used as thralls by the Others.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
No, Valyrian steels seems to disintegrate Others (White Walkers).

I don't recall seeing that Longclaw did anything different to the mere wights than any normal steel blade.
OnlyForNow
AG
Wrights don't decompose or age, I agree that they are completely just reanimated corpses.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:

There are around 200 swords in Westeros alone, and why would Dany care at all about getting Valyrian swords? The Others are not even on her radar, and likely won't be until she is already knee deep in them if she ever makes it to Westeros, and by that point she'll likely be too busy riding a frickin dragon to care about Valyrian steel.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

Maybe I am missing something, but I see the Others (White Walkers) and the wights (zombies) as being two, distinct "species."

The Others seem to be converted in infancy or childhood from humans into ... something else. They grow and mature. They seem to be entirely sentient. Presumably, they eventually die.

The wights are just reanimated corpses, used as thralls by the Others.
sorry, yes i'm incorrectly using them interchangeably. i mean the wights sort of rot away.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Wrights don't decompose or age, I agree that they are completely just reanimated corpses.
so, you think the complete rotted ones were really, really long dead rotted corpses before they were converted?
redline248
AG
I was under the impression the wights don't stop except for being burned.
redline248
AG
Yes. The walkers have, by accounts, been essentially dormant for thousands of years. If they just started building the army of wights in season one, it stands to reason they would be at all stages of decomposition.

Prior to season one, even those at the wall were not worried about (or had forgotten about) the others.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.