**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,370 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
Post removed:
by user
MSCAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
In the show, Theon/Reek told Ramsey. In the book, Ramsey/Reek helped Theon do the deed (flayed and tarred rather than burned I think).
Don't Bran and them hear from one of the northern clans that people from the Dreadfort are asking around about boys their age?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Does anyone else thing the show has foreshadowed Jon's death too much. I've been reading a lot of reviews of the episodes this season, and a lot of people are predicting Olly kills Jon, especially after this last episode. It seems to me like the show has telegraphed it too much.
Actually I think with what they just did with Jon it was genius....

all non-readers anyway were sitting there with all of that ominous foreshadowing and then the attack of the wights/others/white walkers and thinking Jon was going to bite it right there....literally 15 minutes or so after Samwell had said Jon always comes back....

i saw so many tweets to that effect...and that they were going to be so upset if he had died - lol.

now they think he is safe...and nobody (non book readers) will be thinking his own men will stab him.
Post removed:
by user
redline248
AG
Is he including the one on the horse that kills a few night's watchmen as they retreat from the fist? Or the one that Sam killed? (Was that the same encounter in the books?)

I guess I'm not bothered by how infrequently they show up in the books. I'm hopeful it means the payoff is awesome.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
redline248
AG
In regard to your last question, I was under the impression that only fire could destroy them. I suppose if you have a giant smashing them into pulp they are pretty much done, but normal stabbing/slicing/etc hasn't stopped them in the books. I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to be animated.

As to the other question...maybe any walker can do it. Maybe those bodies that attacked Mormont were already animated out in the woods and pretended to be dead until a chance to attack. Was ghost the one that found them? He probably would have reacted in a more aggressive manner if that was the case. I never really thought about it before.
KidDoc
AG
My wife was asking how long it took the dead to come back and I told her I thought it happened over night based on the initial attack on Mormont. I guess the King fella can do it whenever otherwise he just casts a big area effect raise undead every night.

Doesn't make much sense-- but it is magic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redline248
AG
Yeah, that is a pretty powerful ability he has. If I was him I would just turn it on every couple minutes during a battle.
Post removed:
by user
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
In regard to your last question, I was under the impression that only fire could destroy them. I suppose if you have a giant smashing them into pulp they are pretty much done, but normal stabbing/slicing/etc hasn't stopped them in the books. I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to be animated.

As to the other question...maybe any walker can do it. Maybe those bodies that attacked Mormont were already animated out in the woods and pretended to be dead until a chance to attack. Was ghost the one that found them? He probably would have reacted in a more aggressive manner if that was the case. I never really thought about it before.
Recall that they were not decaying, that their hands were not black and that their eyes WERE blue. I think they were "turned" before they were carried to the ice cells.

I think that maybe they don't "animate" until nightfall (in the books). I cannot jibe this book idea with the show Hardhome encounter.
Al Bula
AG
absolutely incredible episode. tormund is stealing the spotlight this season.
PatAg
AG
Just wanted to say I don't see how it would be "cheap" to have more valyrian swords show up, when so far its been made obvious that it is something the high families seem to own, and pass down father to son.

I also don't see what that dude's problem was with it killing the white walker. Dragonglass dagger/arrowheads kill them, the swords do too. Just accept it, jack.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Just wanted to say I don't see how it would be "cheap" to have more valyrian swords show up, when so far its been made obvious that it is something the high families seem to own, and pass down father to son.
And not to mention that even if you have a valyrian sword, you can still get swarmed by wights, catch an ice blade to the chest, etc., etc. If Jon wasn't an excellent swordsman, he'd be dead.
OnlyForNow
AG
Two notes.

1- again the wights that were coming over the gate and threw themselves off the top of the cliff, IMO aren't decaying anymore that's the state of decomp they were in when the magic took over their bodies. I also think that typically the dead bodies just turn at night, darkness, more magical... BUT we see that te King guy has the power to raise them up at any given time. Now I don't think we are gonna see a wight which is cut in half melt back together ala T2 metal guy. But I think that the lower half and upper half will both still function. So much ya if a giant smashes them to bits I'm better that wight is done for or if you cut em into small pieces but for the most part, just flesh wounds or stabbing them won't stop them.

2-Tormund is in some kind of comical I saw the other day. Hilarious
Ol Jock 99
AG
From the other thread....Episode 9s...

bangobango
AG
I hope when they kill Snow it's not just Ollie doing it on his own. I hope that some of the other Crows talked him into doing it, or leading Jon to where he will be stabbed by other men. I think it's important that many of his brothers betray him so that if/when he comes back he no longer feels bound by his oath. After all, he served until death and his death was precipitated by his brothers. If that doesn't free you to go bang the mother of dragons, then nothing will.
MW03
AG
quote:
absolutely incredible episode. tormund is stealing the spotlight this season.

The Wyndham Rewards Wizard!

MW03
AG
By the way, I was curious as to how tall he was based on how much he towers of Jon Snow. Turns out Kitt Harrington is actually only 5'8, the guy that plays Tormund is 6'0.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
i'm not expecting this to be a typical episode 9.....if anything i think episode 8 was this years episode 9.

i actually expect more from episode 10 now...like a true cliff hanger (jon stabbed and left for dead, and dany flying off on the dragons).....unless those happen in episode 9 (in which case i was wrong) and episode 10 has her return and his resurrection which would be more like previous seasons. i fully epxect cersei's perp walk in episode 10 as well.

but i think they, of course, knew we were expecting IT in episode 9 and thus they sprung THAT on us in episode 8.

Inspector Spacetime
AG
Drogon flying into the stadium will be the episode 9 moment this year, I guess. I feel like they're going to end the season on Jon being betrayed to sell more books.
mid90
AG
quote:
I hope when they kill Snow it's not just Ollie doing it on his own. I hope that some of the other Crows talked him into doing it, or leading Jon to where he will be stabbed by other men. I think it's important that many of his brothers betray him so that if/when he comes back he no longer feels bound by his oath. After all, he served until death and his death was precipitated by his brothers. If that doesn't free you to go bang the mother of dragons, then nothing will.

IMO the brothers might not help Ollie, but they'll totally just stand there and watch.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:

Agreed. The fact that it was multiple people in the book made it even worse than simply one person betraying him. I hope that Olly is maybe even the last guy who walks up. Maybe the others stab him in the torso a few times, and Olly slits his throat or some other finishing move if they want to establish that he does in fact die.
redline248
AG
Will Jon say "...and you, Ollie?"
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

Agreed. The fact that it was multiple people in the book made it even worse than simply one person betraying him. I hope that Olly is maybe even the last guy who walks up. Maybe the others stab him in the torso a few times, and Olly slits his throat or some other finishing move if they want to establish that he does in fact die.
That would make it somehow even worse than if he instigated the whole thing. Which is awesome and I hope they do it.
The Debt
Yall are gonna flip a damn table when Tyrion rides drogon, not dany
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
Yall are gonna flip a damn table when Tyrion rides drogon, not dany

This is odd but I would be happy for Tyrion. He was obsessed with dragons as a kid and dreamed of flying. That's why the first time he saw Drogon was such a big deal. It's like Samwise Gamgee getting to see elves and olyphaunts without anybody spooning Elijah Wood.

I'm in favor of Tyrion riding one of the 2 smaller dragons. Everybody in his father's household has crapped on him his whole life with the exception of Jaime and his uncles. Cersei's face when he landed in the King's Landing would be awesome
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
The final books have been delayed so GRRM can spend the next 15 years writing Game of Ice Thrones detailing the schemes and snow puddings the white walkers are playing beyond the wall.

This was such a great idea I just had to drop everything and start on it! After 1 day, I've made great progress. I've got a book tour already lined up for this new project, Gardner Dozois is going to help me edit an anthology of short stories (working title "White Walkers Gone Wild"), and I've sold the series rights to SyFy. Oh, and I've written most of the first sentence.
Thunder18
AG
^
Should be POTD
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
If Jon is resurrected, do you actually think he leaves the wall?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yes. He would've freed from his oath, have an army of wildings sympathetic to his cause, and thinks Ramsey is doing horrible things to his sister.
MW03
AG
quote:
Oh, and I've written most of the first sentence.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
quote:
Yes. He would've freed from his oath, have an army of wildings sympathetic to his cause, and thinks Ramsey is doing horrible things to his sister.
I dunno, it seems that Jon's fate is tied to the wall. If he truly is Azor Ahai, seems strange that GRRM would have him take a detour to save his "sister" when Stannis has essentially already taken care of that.
MW03
AG
There was an article interviewing GRRM a while back about characters from the books he wanted to put in the show. I think this is relevant re: Jon.

quote:
"Lady Stoneheart does have a role in the books," Martin said. "Whether it's sufficient or interesting enough I think it is, or I wouldn't have put her in. One of the things I wanted to show with her is that the death she suffered changes you."

Continues Martin: "I've talked about Gandalf [in The Lord of the Rings], and how the impact of his death was enormous. When I was a 12-year-old kid reading The Fellowship of the Ring and 'Fly, you fools!' and he goes into the chasm it was 'Holy ****! [J.R.R. Tolkien] killed the wizard! That's the guy who knew everything. How are they going to destroy the ring without him?' And now the 'kids' have to grow up because their 'daddy' is dead. If Gandalf could die, anybody could die. And then just a few chapters later Boromir goes down. Those two deaths created in me the 'anyone could die' thing. At that point I was expecting [Tolkien] to pick off the whole Fellowship one by one. And then we also think in The Two Towers that Frodo is dead, since Shelob stung him and wrapped him up. I really bought it because he set me up with those other deaths. But then, of course, he brings Gandalf back. He's a little strange at first, but then he's basically the same old Gandalf. I liked the impact we got from him being gone."

Martin's explanation initially sounds like an argument against including Lady Stoneheart, but Martin then noted: "Lady Stoneheart is not Cateyln. I've tried to set it up beforehand with Beric Dondarrion and his repeated [resurrections]. There's a brief appearance by Beric in Book One and he rides into the city and he's this flamboyant Southern knight. That's not that man we meet later on."

So according to Martin, when you are resurrected, you are not the person you were. Sounds like he's pretty adamant about that. If Jon is resurrected, and he is "not" Jon in the same way Catelyn is not LSH or Beric is not the same guy, then there's your loophole for Jon's vows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.