**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,312 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too - if Tyrion had been rescued from the pit and brought to the dais by an act of mercy, it seems like he'd be a lot scruffier. But if he's there as an advisor or part of her entourage, then wow we've moved fast into book 6 - and cut out a lot in Book 5.

I wonder how much GRRM is working with the writers to make sure that the overall plot arcs stay in the right direction, and how much is them writing their own story. I'm okay either way - it's an adaptation, not a word for word transcription, and often stuff that works on the page doesn't onscreen. But it seems likely to me that we could end up with two very different stories that end at the same major place (R+L=J; Others invasion; fighting the dragons - whatever the "big reveal" ends up being.). Which would be very strange.
BryanAggie2013
AG
quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too - if Tyrion had been rescued from the pit and brought to the dais by an act of mercy, it seems like he'd be a lot scruffier. But if he's there as an advisor or part of her entourage, then wow we've moved fast into book 6 - and cut out a lot in Book 5.

I wonder how much GRRM is working with the writers to make sure that the overall plot arcs stay in the right direction, and how much is them writing their own story. I'm okay either way - it's an adaptation, not a word for word transcription, and often stuff that works on the page doesn't onscreen. But it seems likely to me that we could end up with two very different stories that end at the same major place (R+L=J; Others invasion; fighting the dragons - whatever the "big reveal" ends up being.). Which would be very strange.
Strange for sure. But not necessarily a bad thing. Could be a lot of fun to have two different plots.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
The pic with Tyrion and Dany could also be from the 9th or 10th episode of the upcoming season, leaving plenty of time to get through a lot of what Tyrion experiences between Pentos and Mereen. I think maybe Penny and the slave camp get eliminated or dramatically shortened.

Is it just assumed by most that because no casting was announced regarding "Young Griff" that the whole river trip down the Rhoyne isn't happening? I don't think they'd have had an easy time during the SDCC new cast intro video explaining who "Young Griff" is with any significance without spoiling something, so I think it's totally possible the story goes along the lines in the book.

If there's been some other news I'm neglecting to include in this logic, please let me know. If Aegon is truly going to be a thing in the books and show (and I hope he is), I'm sure they'll find a way to include him, but I bet it happens more or less like in the book. I look forward to those games of Cyvasse.
Saxsoon
AG
I just don't know how the writers completely write him out. Still reading through the fifth book, but this is another freaking Targaryean. How can that NOT have plot relevance?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well, there's plenty of speculation that he's no Targ at all, just a trumped-up impostor.
The Dog Lord
AG
I'm not sure if Dany would necessarily place someone alongside her husband and the rest just because she felt sorry for him and spared him in the fight. I mean she is Dany and the plot would move forward faster, so it definitely could happen. Regardless, I'm wondering if maybe he is serving Hizdahr though. Missandei is in the same spot beside Dany that Tyrion occupies next to Hizadahr. Could he be sold to him instead of Yezzan? Or maybe he is simply taken into service after Dany spares him. It will be very interesting to see if she knows who he is at this point or not.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
quote:
but this is another freaking Targaryean.

Is he though? Is he??
AggieSouth06
quote:
Well, there's plenty of speculation that he's no Targ at all, just a trumped-up impostor.

If he is eliminated from the show completely, that pretty much confirms this, right?

And if Victarion is eliminated, that means he's just basically a ship-deliverer (Dany already has a navy in the show).

What the show leaves out is a bigger book spoiler than what they include that hasn't happened in the books yet.
mid90
AG
I was just thinking last night that if Targaryen's are the only ones who can ride dragons, the 3 dragon riders will be Dany, Jon, and Aegon.
mid90
AG
inb4tyrionisatargtheory

because that theory is crap
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
inb4tyrionisatargtheory

Benjen is Tyrion is a Targ.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:
inb4tyrionisatargtheory

Benjen is Tyrion is a Targ is Jaqen who is part of the Great North Conspiracy.

FIFY
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Don't forget about Hodor!
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
What the show leaves out is a bigger book spoiler than what they include that hasn't happened in the books yet.

this. The omissions essentially end story arcs before they are ended in the books, or at least, if you were reading the books linearly with the HBO series, if that makes sense.

jenn96
AG
quote:
Exactly. It's not exactly a major plot point, but take Jojen, for example. Now, a lot of readers suspected that he died once Bran got to the 3EC, but now we know he is out of the story.

Marsh
AG
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/22/game-of-thrones-rumors/#comment-1648928652

A good summary of some of the things that have already been discussed in this thread. Of note, seemingly a confirmation that the Iron Islands will not be in the upcoming season:

quote:
An assumption among some readers of George R. R. Martin's novels is the watery Iron Islands subplot will be explored. While the Dorne-based subplot will be in season five, producers have previously indicated the Iron Islands subplot has been omitted.
and it continues in the comments:
quote:
I asked the producers last season if they were doing Dorne and Iron Islands in season 5. They said they were doing one of them. Later they announced they were doing Dorne. Those tracking the castings have already pieced this together as they would have needed to cast a few more roles if they wanted to delve into that world, like they did with Dorne. From a storytelling standpoint it makes sense -- Martin had to split the characters into two books to fit in the Dorne and Iron Islands subplots, but a TV show has to use or lose its actors (benching Bran is hard enough!). I'm not saying S5 won't have any Iron Islands scenes, only that my understand is the big book 4 subplot isn't a part of S5.
Murder Hornet
AG
Would that mean they could put the Iron Isle plots into season 6. Or does that do the same thing with putting certain actors/characters on hiatus?

That might give Martin time to finish book 6 and then maybe show and book are caught up together.
AggieSouth06
quote:
Would that mean they could put the Iron Isle plots into season 6. Or does that do the same thing with putting certain actors/characters on hiatus?

That might give Martin time to finish book 6 and then maybe show and book are caught up together.

7 seasons. After that they would have to renegotiate all the principle cast contracts at (I would assume) a significantly higher rate.

Season 6 is TWOW. It has to be.
jenn96
AG
Yes, HBO is doing 7 seasons, no matter what. Book fans keep hoping they'll slow it down, or extend out the plot to take more time, but HBO isn't interested in taking more time. They don't want to do a 8-10 year series, they want to wrap up at 7 years when their contacts expire. And I suspect that the writers feel perfectly confident of creating a solid, well-crafted storyline to get us to the finish line. It may be completely different from the path that Martin takes, but will end at the same place.

Not to mention, I think HBO WANTS to be the ones to finish this. What possible motivation do they have to give Martin years of time to finish the books - at a huge cost to production - when the alternative is to be the first ones to show the Final Battle and Denouement of one of the most anticipated books series - and now TV series - of all time? And who would possible blame them? Martin has had years to end the books - and the universe of Ice and Fire - on his terms. He has chosen not to.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Yes, HBO is doing 7 seasons, no matter what. Book fans keep hoping they'll slow it down, or extend out the plot to take more time, but HBO isn't interested in taking more time. They don't want to do a 8-10 year series, they want to wrap up at 7 years when their contacts expire. And I suspect that the writers feel perfectly confident of creating a solid, well-crafted storyline to get us to the finish line. It may be completely different from the path that Martin takes, but will end at the same place.

Not to mention, I think HBO WANTS to be the ones to finish this. What possible motivation do they have to give Martin years of time to finish the books - at a huge cost to production - when the alternative is to be the first ones to show the Final Battle and Denouement of one of the most anticipated books series - and now TV series - of all time? And who would possible blame them? Martin has had years to end the books - and the universe of Ice and Fire - on his terms. He has chosen not to.
The books and universe will still end on his terms (assuming that he does complete the final 2 books), regardless of what HBO does with the series.

I love the TV shows, but to consider them "canon" over the books is absurd, even if the TV show covers material first.
jenn96
AG
quote:
The books and universe will still end on his terms (assuming that he does complete the final 2 books), regardless of what HBO does with the series.

I love the TV shows, but to consider them "canon" over the books is absurd, even if the TV show covers material first.
Of course it will end on his terms - he's told HBO the ending. It's always his tale, and the books stand completely alone from the tv show. But if HBO tells the end of the story on TV, it does affect the books readers because it changes the way they'll read the rest of the story. Even if every path to get there is different, you'll still know ahead of time that Bran wargs a dragon, or Jon kills Dany, or the Others will win and destroy all of Westeros, or that Dolorous Edd becomes the king, or whatever the ending is. It's a completely different reading experience when you know the ultimate ending. Still great, but not the same, and Martin knows that.

My point though, wasn't to criticize GRRM - but to point out that HBO has no need to wait on him for the series, and a very compelling reason to finish first. I've heard fans talk about hoping the show will take a 2 year hiatus, or spread the story out over 10 seasons, or do Dunk ad Egg stories, or anything to get the books caught up to the show. But HBO isn't going to do anything like that because it makes no sense for them.
Saxsoon
AG
Like the Full Metal Alchemist comparison earlier.

FMA deviated pretty much from the 1/3 of the manga going forward, much sooner that GoT, but still. FMA was good but it pales in comparison to the Manga and the far superior FMA:Brotherhood that finished the true story. HBO will be telling the inferior story.
redline248
AG
They won't care, they'll just cash those checks
AggieSouth06
quote:
HBO will be telling the inferior story.

I may be the sole book reader that thinks the show tells a better overall story. It's more linear, it has movement, the secondary characters are better developed...

I love the world building and history of the books but I love the story of the show.

That's probably not a popular opinion.
Marsh
AG
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-cast-signs-season-744314

Many of the major actors have been resigned through season 7. Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark).

The article even states:

quote:
Of course, when an actor signs on for seven seasons of Game of Thrones it doesn't mean his or her character will live that long. Thrones is notorious for killing off characters, and Martin is still finishing the book series on which the show is based, which means the stars could lose their jobs and their new paychecks before a seventh season.
However, this certainly seems to point to Jon Snow being alive in TWoW and on.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
HBO will be telling the inferior story.

I may be the sole book reader that thinks the show tells a better overall story. It's more linear, it has movement, the secondary characters are better developed...

I love the world building and history of the books but I love the story of the show.

That's probably not a popular opinion.
Meh. I agree with you fwiw. I loved the books, but Martin writes himself in circles with unnecessary characters and plot deviations. The show simplifies a good deal of that while staying true to the more significant elements of the story. My wife can't get into the GoT show because there are too many characters. I just tell her the books are much worse in that regard.
mid90
AG
Someone created a massive family tree. I think it includes all of the major houses.

It doesn't work well as a picture here, so click the link to go to a zoom-able .png
The Dog Lord
AG
While reading The World of Ice and Fire, the section on Winterfell discusses several common theories about the hot springs. The first point mentioned is that the dragon Vermax is rumored to have laid a clutch of eggs in the depths of the crypts while a son of Princess Rhaenyra was convincing the Starks to join their side during the Dance of the Dragons. It then mentions how the small folk say the breath of a dragon who sleeps underneath Winterfell heats them before concluding that the "fires of the world" heat them similar to te smoking mountains of Valyria and Dragonstone.

My questions are 1.) which do you think it is and 2.) do you think that anything will ever happen to Winterfell or Dragonstone regardless of whether dragons come forth or an eruption takes place? If so, what purpose do you think it would have in the story?
AggieSouth06
First (brief) teaser of Arya's house of black and white storyline.

https://t.co/LknnRX0f4D
mid90
AG
Brief is an overstatement
mid90
AG
This looks kinda cool. Point and click adventure game; part 1 released today.

Impressive that they got all the voice acting done by the actors from the show.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Not the scene I would have imagined in my head between Cersei and Margery.
mid90
AG
HBO just announced April 12th as the start date.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Someone created a massive family tree. I think it includes all of the major houses.

It doesn't work well as a picture here, so click the link to go to a zoom-able .png
So I was looking at that tree again. Definitely just realized they are rocking the R+L=J theory.

I know HBO wants to keep making the show and not put it on hold while GRRM finished the books. That fat ******* is probably pulling the biggest screw job in the history by not finishing the books. At the same time, I will probably stop watching the show once they start really getting into TWOW because I've read the all the books first and I want to finish the books before watching the show. Granted I say that now. I still think they should just do a season on both the War of Conquest and Robert's Rebellion. The material is there and it would be cool as hell.
RangerRick9211
AG
A redditor visited Cushing to review original manuscripts of the final book.

Exhibit: http://cushing.library.tamu.edu/exhibits/deeperthanswords/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.