**Official Game of Thrones: Season 5 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)**

342,351 Views | 2543 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Al Bula
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, completely believe that.

The white walkers have the power to raise the dead as shown in the episode. I also believe that the may go dormant for a time being but can wake up if magic is around, see Bran getting to the three eyed raven and Jojen biting the dust.
redline248
AG
I figured that was more the wights guarding the cave to A. keep the children in, and B. keep anyone from reaching the children. IIRC, the children told Bran the wights couldn't cross into the cave b/c of some magical reason or another.
Furlock Bones
AG
all good points. it's been awhile since i read the books. so, i only vaguely remember some things.

however, i can tell you about the many different blood sausages and puddings eaten at royal fests.
OnlyForNow
AG
If the CoTF can fireball the skellys/wrights then I don't really think they stand much of a chance at keeping them in the cave.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
however, i can tell you about the many different blood sausages and puddings eaten at royal fests.
redline248
AG
I'm pretty sure that was a tv only ability.
mid90
AG
I can't wait for the "Ollie kills Jon" reaction videos
OnlyForNow
AG
Considering they weren't even in the book (the skeletons), I don't think that it matters.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Yes. The walkers have, by accounts, been essentially dormant for thousands of years. If they just started building the army of wights in season one, it stands to reason they would be at all stages of decomposition.

Prior to season one, even those at the wall were not worried about (or had forgotten about) the others.
But don't the Wildlings have a tradition of burning their dead? And hadn't Craster been exposing his sons to the Others for a fairly long time? (The oldest of his wives looked to be at least in her 40s).

The Others have been "active" in the far North for a good while. But they are only now marshaling their forces for a drive South.
mid90
AG
Pissed that they included that line about ice spiders, and then DIDN'T HAVE ICE SPIDERS in the episode.

WHEN AM I GONNA SEE A DAMN ICE SPIDER
redline248
AG
quote:
Considering they weren't even in the book (the skeletons), I don't think that it matters.

I never once was talking about the skeletons. I consistently used wight, referring to the book. There were wights outside the cave, but no children throwing fireballs.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes. The walkers have, by accounts, been essentially dormant for thousands of years. If they just started building the army of wights in season one, it stands to reason they would be at all stages of decomposition.

Prior to season one, even those at the wall were not worried about (or had forgotten about) the others.
But don't the Wildlings have a tradition of burning their dead? And hadn't Craster been exposing his sons to the Others for a fairly long time? (The oldest of his wives looked to be at least in her 40s).

The Others have been "active" in the far North for a good while. But they are only now marshaling their forces for a drive South.

Those points are both true, but (as far as we know) none of that was known to the nights watch (or at least not the reason why they burn their dead). Mance had been trying to unite the wildlings for some time, one might suspect if the walkers already had an army of undead that the wildlings knew about they would have joined and left a lot sooner.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I think the reasoning is, if you get off the boats south of the Wall, why would the Wildings who outnumber you 100 to 1, have any reason whatsoever to follow you to Castle Black and pledge their lives to fight the White Walkers?

The only leverage Jon has on them keeping their word, other than Tormmund, is that he's going to give them passage through the tunnel. If you're already south of the tunnel on free land, what's the point of kissing some crow's ass with vows and pledges?

Great point...I also think there may be a few other factors....

1. I'm not sure how passable the route from Eastwatch to Castle Black is on land on the south side...it seems to me the route might be along the top of the wall.......that would be a lot more difficult than a land route.

2. We know Stannis came along that route north of the wall basically when attacking Mance's army. So it seems that side of the wall is fairly passable by a large army.

3. roads or well travelled paths seem to terminate at Castle Black. You can't even see any going to Eastwatch....again it might be easier to go on the north, through the tunnel at CB and then you are on the main roads to wherever they are going (I forget where he is taking them is it Moletown or tthe Gift?).
The Debt
I think there is a distinct possibility every wight jon and Co put down, they were resurrected by the nights king.

Yes I think the decomped wights have stopped decomping. I think the wws first order of business was resurrecting the 2000yo corpses. And I think every corpse they found along the march south that wasn't burnt was reanimated. And I think you aren't going to see decomping on them, for 1 its magic, for 2 it's frozen meat.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
why would anything north of the wall decompose...seems like it is always well below freezing.

Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
why would anything north of the wall decompose...seems like it is always well below freezing.

someone was complaining that some of the wights were essentially skeletons which made them too zombie like. we were throwing up theories why.
redline248
AG
Wild animals eating from corpses. Decompose is probably the incorrect term, although it's been summer the last however many years
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
someone was complaining that some of the wights were essentially skeletons which made them too zombie like. we were throwing up theories why.
i don't think you understood my question......i'm not asking about theories or zombieness....i'm asking a scientific question.
OnlyForNow
AG
I think their gripe was in their blazing speed and craziness, when what we've seen of turned humans has been mostly slow bumbling "dead man walking"

redline, understand your comment better know; still think that the fireballs from the CoTF don't matter much. The cave is magic but Bran being there (he is magic too) is what woke them up.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Wild animals eating from corpses. Decompose is probably the incorrect term, although it's been summer the last however many years

ok that is possible (animals eating them).....

i think summer north of the wall is still below freezing....some parts are called the Land of Always Winter.

but ok...maybe it's not always frozen everywhere...maybe nearer the wall it could get above freezing.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
i don't think you understood my question......i'm not asking about theories or zombieness....i'm asking a scientific question.
apparently that one is a hoax.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

frozen caveman that was discovered in nepal.
sure...although you don't know that he was always frozen.
redline248
AG
My only argument is that the children are magic, too. So why weren't they outside wandering around the whole time? I think they were just waiting for anyone trying to come or go, rather than being dormant.
Furlock Bones
AG
reading on one of the forums, the north isn't quite as cold as we think or at least it wasn't. it maybe now that winter is coming.

quote:
In fact, the extent of the Haunted Forest shows that the Arctic Tundra only begins around 600 miles North of the Wall.
OnlyForNow
AG
The surprise element would make sense. But I think they got used to no one coming or going from the cave and then they got used to the magic sense from the CoTF and then when Bran came by it was like an alarm clock.

I also initially thought that the CoTF might have been using them as their own guardians under some sort of spell or possession, which would give your thoughts/theory a lot of credit. The CoTF took them over and kept them at the outside of their cave and they'll attack anyone who gets close, even the CoTF that's why there was a spell on the cave.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ok, it was super cold in Hardhome, yet before all the craziness started there is a wildling standing waist deep in the ice cold water...

Sure when you're gonna die I'd jump off the Titantic's deck or if you're a giant you say ef it, but he is just chilling out holding the boat next to the dock.... strange.
marble rye
AG
It helps if you don't consider the story actually happening in real life. There is magic, dragons, and humans possessing each other/animals. Why is everyone bringing science into this thread?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
My only argument is that the children are magic, too. So why weren't they outside wandering around the whole time? I think they were just waiting for anyone trying to come or go, rather than being dormant.

There's been a theory that the 3 eyed raven and the CotF is the real "great other" and that is the real antagonist to AA. The CotF were driven to near extinction by the Andals which is most of the southern houses(including the Boltons), so it stands to reason they would be in conflict with the AA(being an Andal god). In the books they also cut down the weirwood trees they come across including dragonstone. There's also a contrast of light and darkness like this quote:

quote:
"'There he sat, listening to the hoarse whispers of his teacher. 'Never fear the darkness, Bran.' The lord's words were accompanied by a faint rustling of wood and leaf, a slight twisting of his head. "The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.""

You can see the contrast to the Red Priestess and the "night is dark and full of terrors".

Therefore it is entirely possible that the WW are a separate faction/threat entirely.

Also seeing as how the Night's King lived after the wall was completed(to prevent another attack like the 1st WW invasion), so he couldn't have been in charge during the first invasion. Who do ya'll think is in charge of the WW, or are they merely a "force of nature" of sorts?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
It helps if you don't consider the story actually happening in real life. There is magic, dragons, and humans possessing each other/animals. Why is everyone bringing science into this thread?

Because the last episode was so awesome that they need something to b*tch about.
rhutton125
AG
Please don't turn this into another "at what temperature would brain matter decay" discussion like the Walking Dead thread turned into.
Post removed:
by user
hunter2012
AG
I'll take a shot at explaining the wights:

redline248
AG
Hunter, in regard to the 3 eyed raven, a couple thoughts:

1. The children and the Andals made peace, which resulted in no more trees cut down, the island of many faces being protected, etc. They've been biding their time for centuries?

2. It's pretty late in the game for the children to become a prominent threat, especially after establishing the danger of the walkers, the history of the children helping fight the walkers, etc.

Edit to add: oh, AA isn't a god. Was just a man.
marble rye
AG
Maybe I am a huge nerd that is impatient, but I like to read all the message boards dedicated to the books. Many have speculated that the WW are followers of The Great Other, god of ice and death; who stands for darkness, cold, and death.

The Great Other and R'hllor are at war in the supernatural/spiritual, and the R'hllor stands for light, life, and fire. AA is his Messiah. GoT could end up being one big allegory. :/
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
white walkers and others coming south to fight the nigths watch and wildlings in the south....leaving their flank unprotected from the children behind them.....

and then dragons from above.....

i'm not saying it's gonna be easy....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.