***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

579,640 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248
AG
That's the exact kind of arrogance Stannis has about himself. Such a c_nt.
mhayden
quote:
quote:
Guys, Davos clearly had a very, strong idea of what was going to happen to Shireen

Maybe not 100% certainty, but he knew
I'm going to repost from page 63: I don't buy Davos knowing. He simply wanted her away from danger. He said goodbye because he was leaving for awhile and they are in dangerous situations. Every goodbye could be the last. Davos wouldn't sit by and let her die if he didn't let them kill Gendry.

What about Davos's past actions and behaviors makes sense with him leaving Shireen? He does what he thinks is right even if it means his death (staying loyal to Stannis when picked up off the rock after the battle of the Blackwater when asked which king he supports, freeing Gendry and confessing to it, never telling Stannis what he wants to hear, etc.). The above makes more sense.

Him giving her a gift seemed very much like a "I'll likely never see you again gift" than a "hey I'm leaving for a while but I'll be back, here's a gift to tie you over"
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Guys, Davos clearly had a very, strong idea of what was going to happen to Shireen

I'm going to repost from page 63: I don't buy Davos knowing. He simply wanted her away from danger. He said goodbye because he was leaving for awhile and they are in dangerous situations. Every goodbye could be the last. Davos wouldn't sit by and let her die if he didn't let them kill Gendry.

What about Davos's past actions and behaviors makes sense with him leaving Shireen? He does what he thinks is right even if it means his death (staying loyal to Stannis when picked up off the rock after the battle of the Blackwater when asked which king he supports, freeing Gendry and confessing to it, never telling Stannis what he wants to hear, etc.). The above makes more sense.

Him giving her a gift seemed very much like a "I'll likely never see you again gift" than a "hey I'm leaving for a while but I'll be back, here's a gift to tie you over"

He probably thought the danger was on his end. Like who knows what's going to happen travelling through the North to get back to the Wall and back? Or if he thought there was danger for Shireen, he thought it was because they were in the middle of a battle camp. I doubt anywhere in his wildest imagination did he think Stannis would kill his own daughter. If Davos had known Stannis had that kind of cruelty in him, he would not have been following him this long.
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He probably thought the danger was on his end. Like who knows what's going to happen travelling through the North to get back to the Wall and back? Or if he thought there was danger for Shireen, he thought it was because they were in the middle of a battle camp. I doubt anywhere in his wildest imagination did he think Stannis would kill his own daughter. If Davos had known Stannis had that kind of cruelty in him, he would not have been following him this long.

You may be right, just the way I took it... Just odd this the first time he's given her a "parting gift". Was he not present the time Melisandre mentioned Shireen as a sacrifice (or the other times when it was implied that might be coming)?
israeliag
AG
quote:
If Davos had known Stannis had that kind of cruelty in him, he would not have been following him this long.
This.

It'll be interesting to see how Davos deals with the Wildlings when they (I would assume) inevitably cross paths.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You may be right, just the way I took it... Just odd this the first time he's given her a "parting gift". Was he not present the time Melisandre mentioned Shireen as a sacrifice (or the other times when it was implied that might be coming)?
Exactly, Davos wasn't there for that. The only inkling he might have had would be:

a) what Stannis/Mel did to Renly
b) what they were willing to do Gendry
c) that he (Davos) was being sent away on a questionable mission

I can see where you might think he should have connected those dots, and we as the audience certainly did because it was telegraphed to us. But I just don't think Davos would follow a man who he believed could commit filicide. And if he thought that was coming, he wouldn't just have given her a deer, he would have taken Shireen with him. This is more from what I believe about Davos' character than anything else. Davos has been shown to be willing to defy his King, if he believes its the absolute right thing to do.
Stive
AG
His radar was up though because of the way he questioned Stannis regarding the reasoning for being sent back to Castle Black.
reb,
AG
I don't think so which is why I disagree with you guys who think he knew. Which episode was that? Will that settle it if he wasn't there? He explained what the stag was for...repaying the kindness of her teaching him to read, and how he should have listened to his son (whose death greatly affected him... He told the story about it in a past season) who had nagged him to become literate while he was still alive.

He wanted her to be safe because he didn't think a brutal army march in a blizzard was safe for her or her mother. Just in general. There's just no way he'd abandon her if he knew the biggest risk wasn't the Boltons or weather, but that she was going to die horrifically on Stannis' orders. No way.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
His radar was up though because of the way he questioned Stannis regarding the reasoning for being sent back to Castle Black.
He probably thought Stannis was going to do something foolish like press his men forward during the blizzard, which is what they'd mostly been fighting about in previous episodes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, a small part of me thought he'd show up at the last second and cut down Melisandre and save Shireen.
drewbie08
AG
Would we rather see Brienne kill Stannis? Or Davos?

I'd like to see this play out...
Bolton get killed by falling off his horse and impaled by a stake in the ground
Sansa do some sort of ninja/stealthy like kill of Ramsey
Brienne kill lots of people just because she's crazy/loyal
Davos kill Stannis in a slow fashion, letting him know how terrible he became
Even though I don't like her, Stannis' wife kill the red priest lady. Either her or Davos.

At the end of the day, I want to see Davos or Tyrion on the Iron Throne.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, they really did lay groundwork. I don't remember this quote.

mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly, Davos wasn't there for that. The only inkling he might have had would be:

a) what Stannis/Mel did to Renly
b) what they were willing to do Gendry
c) that he (Davos) was being sent away on a questionable mission

I can see where you might think he should have connected those dots, and we as the audience certainly did because it was telegraphed to us. But I just don't think Davos would follow a man who he believed could commit filicide. And if he thought that was coming, he wouldn't just have given her a deer, he would have taken Shireen with him. This is more from what I believe about Davos' character than anything else. Davos has been shown to be willing to defy his King, if he believes its the absolute right thing to do.

I agree now you are right -- I tend to confuse the closeups of Melisandre then Stannis then Shireen that I see with what the characters likely know... I just wasn't sure if there was a Davros/Stannis debate of "NO YOU CAN'T DO THIS" since that seems to be about the only thing Davros' character has done for 3-4 seasons now. I guess I just assume anything Stannis does, Davros at one point tried to talk him out of it and failed.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

Ramsey needs to gets tied to a great big X post and Sansa (and anyone else at Winterfell who he worked over) goes at him. For weeks. They can give him blood transfusions to make it last longer.
TX_AG_10
AG
Where do you dig these things up!? Other GoT threads? Thanks for posting though.. pretty cool stuff!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/
TX_AG_10
AG
Ahhhh I should've guessed that! Is it strictly TV series? (No book spoilers)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, show only. No spoilers beyond episodes aired. If there is a book spoiler in the comments they are always marked.
stick95
AG
quote:
quote:

Ramsey needs to gets tied to a great big X post and Sansa (and anyone else at Winterfell who he worked over) goes at him. For weeks. They can give him blood transfusions to make it last longer.
I think a flaying is in order.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Tough Game of Thrones Quiz: Hodor's 50 most spoken words in GoT.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/mr_sparkle/hodors-most-spoken-words-in-got
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My dream team Small Council:

Queen of the Seven Kingdoms: Danaerys Targaryen
Nagler
AG
I think Devos is going to come back and have serious issue with what happened last week.
drewbie08
AG
I got 100%!
drewbie08
AG
Wrong emoticon.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Scotch
AG
Won't happen so probably will possibilities:

Stannis has Davos killed while on the mission.

Jorah goes all "if I can't have her, no one can" and tries to infect Dany
AgLaw02
AG
I wanted Brienne to rescue Sansa at her wedding, Monty Python style.
Independent George
AG
quote:

What it will actually be:

King of the Seven Kingdoms: The Night King

Hand of the King: White Walker 1
Master of Coin: White Walker 2
Master of Whisperers: Undead Wildling Mother
Master of the Laws: White Walker 3
Master of Ships: White Walker 4
Grand Maester: Hungry Demon Child
Rocagnante
AG
quote:
Wow, they really did lay groundwork. I don't remember this quote.

I don't remember the exact quote but early on Davos told Stannis something to the effect of winning the war this way (re Lord of Light magic) won't be worth the price he'll have to pay.
Rocagnante
AG
quote:
Since we saw the priestess in Volantis celebrating Dany, I still think that's Melisandre's end game. The fire connection is just too much.

I too think Mel is using Stannis. I hope she ends up sacrificing him at some point. Burn him.
Duncan Idaho
That list is terrible.

SF2004
AG
How crap... Just watched.

How do you burn your own daughter alive!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So do better.
Goldie Wilson
What if that Dorne Prince tries to kill the Lannisters on their way back to KL? He seems to quietly be siding with the Dorne ruler/king, but perhaps he actually sides with that annoying lady with the dumb haircut. That could actually make that storyline tolerable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.