***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,275 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Though to be fair I just read the recap from the guy filling in for Sepinwall... man that was bad.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My gut is that Mama Tyrell's counterpunch is that she uses Cersei's indiscretions to turn the sprarrows against her. Maybe she even gets Lancel to admit his role in some Cersei-ordered regicide, which I'm sure the Seven frown upon.

Once she's on the outs, Mama T either cracks down on the Militant Faithful with some Gold cloaks or Reachian knights or something like that. Then she and/or Margery rule the throne by proxy through Tommen. He's happy as he's getting his carrot wet.

That stirs up Casterly Rock again, although I bet Kevin Lannister is largely impotent to mix it up with the Tyrells.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I stick to the Dragon Brag podcast for episode review/discussion. Pretty good for those who haven't heard it.

Grantland Pop Culture also does a decent GoT podcast.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed.

The crazy thing is that the throne is basically up for grabs right now. The Lannister army has retreated to Casterly Rock, the Tyrells don't have a particularly strong army (do they?), and Tommen is basically just a seat filler with no power or influence over anyone.

If Stannis or Dany really wanted the throne, now would be the time to strike.
ChipFTAC01
AG
This week's Dragonbrag hasn't posted yet, has it? Sirois & Machine were going to Hangout Fest this weekend.

From what I remember, the Tyrells had the biggest army in all of Westeros.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
Agreed.

The crazy thing is that the throne is basically up for grabs right now. The Lannister army has retreated to Casterly Rock, the Tyrells don't have a particularly strong army (do they?), and Tommen is basically just a seat filler with no power or influence over anyone.

Pretty sure the Tyrells have the strongest army in Westeros with the Lannisters sitting at Casterly Rock.

I could be mistaken though.
Stive
AG
I wish we could get a bead on that kind of info. How strong is Stannis' army? How about the Knights of the Vale? Dorne? The Tyrells? We get the gist that Bolton is smaller/weaker than when he began and that the Lannisters are wobbly right now. How do all of those compare to how many people Dany has?

That'd be interesting to know.
Natasha Romanoff
Just off of my intuition, which is worth as much as you pay for, I would put the strengths of the army in Westeros as this:

1) Tyrells - they've basically been the "swing vote" as to who had the most power since season 1. Renly could have probably easily taken the throne if he actually went to battle rather than taking his sweet time, and then getting murdered. I don't think they are powerful/cunning enough to take the throne for themselves at this point, BUT I wouldn't be shocked if that gets pulled off somehow this season/next season before (I assume) Dany comes to Westeros. For some reason I see Dorne/Tyrells uniting against the Lannisters, but I'm sure there is a reason they haven't yet.

2) Dorne - I don't think they are very interested in getting involved in the power struggle, but I bet they could wreak some havoc if they did.

3) Lannisters/Stannis - tied. I don't know if Kevan is equal to Tywin in battle smarts, and we know Stannis is one of the best military leaders Westeros has. Also doesn't help the Lannisters that they are out of money.

4) Vale

5) Boltons - if the North would reunite, then I would put the northern army up above the Vale knights, but that won't happen with the Boltons in power.

Dany would be the most powerful thanks to dragons, but she's not in Westeros yet.
zap
AG
I don't think Cersei will die until she sees all three of her kids die, per the prophecy in episode one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can someone remind me - where does the Tyrell army go after Renly's death? Do they follow Margaery and Loras to Kings Landing, or are they back in Highgarden?

Edit: I remember now, they arrive with Tywin during the battle of Blackwater.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Agreed.

At the time of his death, Renly had a huge army (100,000 as I recall). It was composed of Baratheon and Tyrell troops, mostly Tyrell. I don't recall any mention of numbers since then.

They did not seem to take many casualties at Blackwater, so they are probably largely intact.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If I'm not mistaken, that army splintered after the remaining Baratheons joined Stannis , and the Tyrells joined Tywin and fought at the Blackwater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now that I think about it, Renly was clearly going to win the throne, and the only reason he didn't is cause he was killed by the shadow/demon baby that came from Melisandre.

Why not do the same to Joffrey/Tommen?
TX_AG_10
AG
Maybe that's why she was trying to sechs up Jon Snow. To put another shadow baby in her!
jbanda
AG
Does the smoke baby weapon have an effective range? Seems like you have to get close to use it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good catch. But she could get that from Stannis whenever.
Quinn
AG
Maybe she was trying to get a Jon Snow smoke demon baby to use to kill Bolton??
TX_AG_10
AG
That's true.. IIRC, it had to be someone with noble blood? That's definitely intriguing if true considering she did try to get with Jon.. Someone might need to correct me on the shadow demon/noble blood thing...
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
If I'm not mistaken, that army splintered after the remaining Baratheons joined Stannis , and the Tyrells joined Tywin and fought at the Blackwater.
They are nominally aligned with the Lannisters, but they are still a Tyrell army. The Lannisters just orchestrated the arrest of a Tyrell and REALLY annoyed the Tyrell granny.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:

Didn't they say it took a lot out of who ever made it with her? She said something about if Stannis did it again it would kill him. This was back in the time when Gendry was at their castle. I thought this was part of why she wanted to have her fun times with Gendry.
bkag9824
AG
They just orchestrated the arrest of the son of the house. And then they worked in a way to arrest the queen of Westoros after granny was told it was going to be a simple inquisition. Now it's a full blown trial with the two eldest children of House Tyrell locked up and facing a pretty significant sentence. (Anybody know what the penalty is if they're both found guilty?)

If it's death then the move Cersei just made is akin to what happened to Ned.

It's a bigger deal than just annoying granny who doesn't have the same naive view of the inner workings of King's Landing that Ned did.
Quinn
AG
What do y'all expect for the rest of this year? I see some combination of the following:

• Stannis and Bolton battle in episode 9
  • Cersi's scheming comes back to get her in the end, whether she's jailed or just banished to Casterly Rock
  • Tyrion gets his butt saved in the end and meets Dany, but is unimpressed
  • Dany just chills in Mereen
  • Arya gets to kill someone from her list
  • We see a white walker near the wall maybe?
DannyDuberstein
AG
There will be some fighting pit action with Jorah in Mereen. Could get intersting with drawing out the Harpy ****ers.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
What do y'all expect for the rest of this year? I see some combination of the following:

• Stannis and Bolton battle in episode 9 - No
  • Cersi's scheming comes back to get her in the end, whether she's jailed or just banished to Casterly Rock - No
  • Tyrion gets his butt saved in the end and meets Dany, but is unimpressed - Maybe
  • Dany just chills in Mereen - Yep
  • Arya gets to kill someone from her list - No
  • We see a white walker near the wall maybe? - No

I am not optimistic about any progress being made this season.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:

Didn't they say it took a lot out of who ever made it with her? She said something about if Stannis did it again it would kill him. This was back in the time when Gendry was at their castle. I thought this was part of why she wanted to have her fun times with Gendry.
Lady Mel has used two different kinds of murder magic.

The shadow baby was one, and the flaming leech trick was another.

I think there was explicit statement that they needed "king's blood" for the leeches (Gendry), which seem to be able to kill from a distance. Maybe you need more-powerful blood to kill at long range.

Shadow babies apparently are an "up close" weapon (Lady Mel needed to be nearby), and I don't recall any mention that "king's blood" was necessary to create them.
Quinn
AG
It has been a pretty low key season, but episode 9 is always something big, whether its stannis and the bolton's battling it out or not.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
It's a bigger deal than just annoying granny who doesn't have the same naive view of the inner workings of King's Landing that Ned did.
My phrasing was intended to be entertaining. Apparently not.
bkag9824
AG
Sorry - must have gone over my admittedly low head (fify protected).
khaos288
AG
I still hope Dany utilizes the dragons to kill the Harpy at the end of the season

Tyrion talks his way into her good graces

Jon does something interesting with the wilding army/walkers

Cersei dies, Margery gets freed, Tommen unarms the faith/unleashes the gold cloaks on them
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
  • Stannis and Bolton battle in episode 9 - No

Not a question of if, just when. But it will definitely happen this season.
powerbelly
AG
Why does it have to happen this season?

They are moving at a slow pace and I can see them leaving this for next season.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The writers have mentioned that the biggest and costliest battle they've ever filmed happens this season.

Plus you don't build something up all season just to leave it for next year. Stannis hasn't done anything yet this season.
Squirrel Master
AG
A battle in the North definitely happens this year.
Objective Aggie
AG
The North remembers!
InternetFan02
AG
Another episode that makes mention of Tyrion's grown man sized cock. Does it qualify as a chekhov's gun prop at this point?Will there be a Boogie Nights style exposure in the finale? Has it been interviewed by Grantland yet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.