***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,271 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
zap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like that the supernatural stuff got introduced slowly and sparingly.

[Due to some posters not being able to act like adults, we are adding this warning as of 4/21/15. If you are thinking about putting a book spoiler or comparison on this thread, you need to ask yourself a very simple question: IS MY POST WORTH A 30 DAY BAN? If you are thinking about posting something that MAY be a spoiler from the book, you need to ask yourself a very simple question: IS MY POST WORTH A 30 DAY BAN. Yes, it's a big ban, but we don't want to have to babysit this thread due to adults that act like children and think that it's funny to ruin things for other people. There is the warning. If you get banned for thirty days and your email simple says "Spoilers on the Entertainment Forum", don't whine to us because that means that you didn't take time to read this warning. Have a nice day. -Staff]
Duncan Idaho
quote:

Wasn't it literally introduced in the first scene?
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The White Walkers are basically just there as a Mcguffin. The more the show goes on the more I doubt they'll ever really play a major role. At most, there'll be one major battle involving them. (In addition to the one that happened offscreen at the end of Season 2.)
zap
AG
Edit: I like the way the supernatural elements are introduced and used.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
I like all the supernatural stuff except for the white walkers. I think having the imminent danger really drives the show. Just wish it was something other than zombies.
I guess I just think we (like the characters) don't really know what the extent of magic is in this world at this time. Most people thought the white walkers, giants, and children of the forest were just stories, the last dragons had died out awhile back, etc. The magical elements arguably haven't played a major role in the story because they weren't really present in the recent past of the world (some things haven't been present even in the distant past).

The entire story is built around the fact that this is a new and different time. Perhaps the influence of magic flows like their seasons or is dependent upon certain conditions. Perhaps some form of the gods present in the show are influencing the world because they feel it is necessary (e.g. Noah and the flood). Maybe the white walkers ARE the gods and not just evil ice zombies that fill the role of antagonist. There are forces working in the world beyond the normal forces of man. As they exert themselves more, magic will likely play a larger part in the story. Also, I think it's just GRRM's style to also not overdue the magic in this particular series. He wants to do more than have a wizard shine a bright light to save the day. Maybe the wizard does save the day, but it'll be dependent on a lot more than having the magic sword of destiny or something.
boogieman
AG
quote:
quote:

It was the cold open.
YellowPot_97
AG
Where has Ghost been this season?
bkag9824
AG
Has he really been needed?

They never really show the wolves/dragons unless there's a direct need in the story/action.

E.g. - It was important for Jorah & Tyrion to both see Drogon in last week's episode for a handful of reasons.

No need to waste budget on unnecessary CGI...
Natasha Romanoff
I know I shouldn't have, but I thought that when Ramsey's slampiece was taking Sansa to the kennels, Nymeria was going to be back there.

I should have realized it was Theon, but for a second I got so hopeful.
The Dog Lord
AG
Ghost was in a recent episode gnawing on a bone at the bottom right of the picture. I wish he was around more, but I'm sure it's for money/work reasons like bkag said.
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
I know I shouldn't have, but I thought that when Ramsey's slampiece was taking Sansa to the kennels, Nymeria was going to be back there.

I should have realized it was Theon, but for a second I was hopeful.

this
khaos288
AG
Oh Girl, you taste real good
zap
AG
LOL

Nice find, khaos288
mhayden
quote:

I assumed it was Catelynn's head on a stick or something that the Bolton's kept.
mattvswild
AG
I really enjoyed that Stannis and Roos are shown to be such caring, loving fathers to their respective children in back to back episodes. #fathersoftheyear

In all seriousness, it was a fairly boring episode, but set up some more tension well enough. And Ramsay was hilarious this episode. I swear he's like an evil sitcom villian.
redline248
AG
Roose probably loves Ramsay the same way Tywin loved Tyrion.
Sentinel
AG
quote:
Oh man I needed that.
Stive
AG
quote:

I thought some how she was going to have one of the dogs attack her or try to attack her.
dave94
AG
quote:
quote:

I assumed it was Catelynn's head on a stick or something that the Bolton's kept.
I was expecting the remains of Robb and Grey Wind.
Joan Wilder
AG
I highly recommend the Grantland podcasts "Hollywood prospectus" and "watch the thrones" - it is a great discussion on the show by non book readers. On Watch the thrones they talk to some Got experts on geography, who's who, etc but do it in a way that's spoiler free. The Maester answers questions on their website too - again, targeted for show watchers only.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
quote:
Oh man I needed that.

"Tell me how you found the kitten meat"
La Bamba
AG
quote:
"How do you feel about people that go Hadouken?"
"Darth fader is bad, and his assistant is a mouse"
"now I ask you a question, you think they should make iPhones for babies, cause I do"
Hatchet Harry
AG
I haven't read the thread since before Sunday's episode so I'm a little late with this but I have to say that everytime y'all start talking legalities in a medieval society, it reminds of this...

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:

Thought the same that it was a direwolf.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Just a heads up to those that enjoy GoT and think they have the knowledge to compete in a trivia:

Geeks Who Drink (Pub Trivia) is doing a GoT trivia in select cities on June 13th. Should be a blast.

quote:
One night only.
Saturday, June 13th at select Geeks Who Drink venues.

See full locations list by clicking "See More" below.

Planning to come to the quiz or want us in your city? Let us know athttp://bit.ly/ThemeQuizInterest

--------------------------------------------------------

Can you play the "Rains of Castamere" on acoustic guitar? Do insist that your children call you "Mhysa"? Do you always sit as close to the exits as possible at weddings? If so, you'll fit right in at our next theme quiz. On Saturday, June 13th we open the fighting pits and watch you duel for fame, gold and glory in Fire Cannot Kill A Quizmaster: A Game of Thrones Quiz! If you went to the others, don't worry, this will be bloodier, geekier, and finished long before George R.R. Martin releases another book.

The bulk of this quiz will cover the Game of Thrones television show through Season 5, but if you haven't read the books, you might as well be Jon Snow because you know nothing. Anything and everything written by George R.R. Martin about the universe is fair game, so you might want to bring a friend who knows a thing or two about Dunk and Egg. Cheaters will be sent to the The Night's Watch to die cold and alone.

Admission to the realm comes at a price - either bring us your first born for a marriage we can marry or $5 (no coins, paper currency please). The winners will be as rich as the Lannisters (incest and patricide optional), so bring your friends, your direwolves, and your dragons. The more commoners who play, the more riches you'll earn.

Remember, valar quizghulis, all men must quiz, so we hope to see you on the 13th. As George R.R. Martin once warned, "for every person who doesn't come to a Geeks quiz, I kill a Stark."

Don't see your city's info? Check back often, as we'll be adding more venues soon.

ALBUQUERQUE | 8pm | O'Niell's (Nob Hill) | 4310 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108
ANCHORAGE | 3pm | Tap Root Public House | 3300 Spenard Rd, Anchorage, AK 99503
AUSTIN | 2pm | The Highball | 1120 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704
BOSTON | 3pm | White Horse Tavern | 116 Brighton Ave, Boston, MA 02134
BUFFALO | 6pm | Century Grill | 318 Pearl St, Buffalo, NY 14202
CHICAGO | 5pm | Fado | 100 W Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60654
CLEVELAND | 6pm | The Side Quest | 17900 Detroit Ave, Lakewood, OH 44107
DALLAS/FT WORTH | 4:30pm | Alamo Drafthouse | 100 S Central Expy, Richardson, TX 75080 (see special booking instructions in the FAQ below)
DENVER | 3pm | Funky Buddha | 776 Lincoln St, Denver, CO 80203
FORT COLLINS| 3pm | Island Grill | 2601 S Lemay Ave # 12, Fort Collins, CO 80525
HOUSTON | 4pm | Christian's Tailgate Bar & Grill | 2000 Bagby St, Houston, TX 77002
KANSAS CITY | 2:30pm | Charlie Hoopers | 12 W 63rd St, Kansas City, MO 64113
LAS VEGAS | 6pm | Aces and Ales | 2801 N Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89128
LOS ANGELES | HODOR |
MADISON | 3pm | Buck & Badger | 115 State Street, Madison, WI 53703
MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL | HODOR |
NEW ORLEANS | 5pm | Twelve Mile Limit | 500 S Telemachus St, New Orleans, LA 70119
NEW YORK CITY | 6pm | Bar Thalia | 2537 Broadway, New York, NY 10025
PORTLAND | 5pm | Punch Bowl Social | 340 SW Morrison St, Portland, OR 97204
ROCHESTER | HODOR |
SACRAMENTO | HODOR | Capitol Garage | 1500 K St, Sacramento, CA 95814
SALT LAKE CITY | HODOR |
SAN ANTONIO | 6pm | Firehouse Pub & Grill | 5380 Walzem Rd, San Antonio, TX 78218
SEATTLE | HODOR | Rhine Haus | 912 12th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122
SPOKANE | 8pm | Brooklyn Nights | 122 S Monroe St, Spokane, WA 99201
TUCSON | HODOR |

THEMED QUIZ FAQs

Can people under 21 play? It's up to the bar, and each venue's going to be a little different. Check with them before you make any plans.

Should I wear a costume? YES! Some of our venues may have a costume contest if there's enough participation, but that's up to the venue and host.

How do you sign up? Where do you buy tickets? You don't. Get to the quiz venue early (we recommend at least an hour minimum) with cash for your entry fee to ensure seating. EXCEPTION LEVEL MIDNIGHT: The Alamo Drafthouse in Richardson will run a reservation system for seats. See below.

Alamo Drafthouse Ticketing Instructions

1) Using the system you'll buy your tickets for your WHOLE TEAM. Did someone drop out? Need to add a player? We'll deal with that on the day of the event (come early).

2) Please don't leave empty seats. We're one big happy family and we're going to do whatever we can to fit in as many people as we can. Thus, no buffer seats, okay?

3) Don't get married to your spot in the theater. We reserve the right to reassign seats and/or move to a different auditorium, thus changing your row and seat assignment. Questions or concerns? Email Stephanie Stone-Robb at stephanie@geekswhodrink.com.

This link for DFW: COMING SOON!

Is this a free quiz? No, it's $5 per person to play (bring cash!), and we'll ask you to pay for everyone on your team before we give you quiz materials.

What's the maximum/minimum players per team? There is no minimum, but if you want to win, you should have a fully staffed squad. Use our Facebook and Twitter to recruit. Team maximum is strictly six players, as always.

Can we play the quiz twice by traveling to another city? No. No. And no. First of all, that'd be impressive, because our themed quizzes are now always on one day (with the rarest of exceptions). Secondly, even if you figure out a way to cheat, don't do it.

Do spectators have to pay? Yes. Yes, they do. Spectators generally have to pay for sporting events, right? This also goes for Geeks Who Drink employees that aren't working at the event and the people they make love to.

Can my dad/girlfriend/friend sit at our table and not play? No. Six people max seated at a table and all players must pay.

Can you host this at BLANK bar in BLANK city? No. We host these at venues that meet certain criteria. So, if we're not in your city, there won't be a quiz. If we're in your city, and there's no quiz, we're sorry. Feel free to let us know if you think demand is there, and maybe next time we'll get it started.

Is there a prize for second place? Nope, this is winner take all. But second place is impressive; you should be proud.

How is the prize amount determined? In most cases, the prize amount is 50% of the total take. Why not 100%? Because we have to cover our costs of producing and marketing these event quizzes.

Will BLANK TOPIC be covered? Everything is fair game. Study hard. Apply yourself. And we never give clues.

How long will the quiz last? Our regular quizzes run about 1.5-2 hours, but themed quizzes require a bit more heavy lifting in terms of logistics, scoring and extra stuff we may have planned. Average is about 3 hours.

I'd like to help promote the quiz/talk to you on my podcast/contribute some bonus prizes. Great! Contact us at marketing@geekswhodrink.com and we'll see about making that happen.

mhayden
I was about to post about what kind of nerd crowd a GoT trivia contest brings out... then I remembered I went on a GoT tour when I was in Northern Ireland a few months ago.
gomerschlep
AG
I've been binge-watching from S01E01 for 2 weeks, and I'm caught up to last weeks episode as of this morning.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
I've been binge-watching from S01E01 for 2 weeks, and I'm caught up to last weeks episode as of this morning.

How long has it been since you've taken a shower? I feel like you smell like you need a shower...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
45 hours in two weeks? DAMN.
Stive
AG
I feel like you smell like you've been walking around Westeros for 2 months.
Quinn
AG
That's not that bad. You could knock out an entire season on a weekend day if you wanted to do so. Watch 2-3 per night the rest of the nights.
Scotch
AG
I had to watch the pilot 3 times just to figure out who the hell everyone was and why it was such a big deal when Bran saw what he saw.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
That's not that bad. You could knock out an entire season on a weekend day if you wanted to do so. Watch 2-3 per night the rest of the nights.

I feel like you smell like you don't get nookie.
redline248
AG
quote:
I had to watch the pilot 3 times just to figure out who the hell everyone was and why it was such a big deal when Bran saw what he saw.
In your defense, I'm not sure Bran knew that what he saw was a such a big deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.