***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,261 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
But if the slave owner deserved a fair trial, why didn't the slave who killed him?

No need for a trial when you admit it.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
quote:
But if the slave owner deserved a fair trial, why didn't the slave who killed him?

The slave confessed. The slave owner did not.
COOL LASER FALCON
I guess I'm somewhat assuming since I'm not very well versed in Meereen law, but I was thinking it was because he confessed and basically put his fate in Dany's hands. The way she said, "the penalty for this is death," made me think that it was already established. I just definitely didn't get the impression that she was trying to intimidate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shouldn't a fair trial involve a jury? Or are we assuming the sentencing is done by her alone?

Either way, still the wrong move imo.
Farmer1906
AG
He should have requested trial by combat.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Grey Worm vs Drogon
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
quote:
Shouldn't a fair trial involve a jury? Or are we assuming the sentencing is done by her alone?

As far as I know, at least in our court system, pleading guilty waives a jury trial and puts your fate in the judges hand. I don't know Mereen law but I assume it is similar.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
Grey Worm vs Drogon

Why would Grey Worm fight?
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

As far as I know, at least in our court system, pleading guilty waives a jury trial and puts your fate in the judges hand. I don't know Mereen law but I assume it is similar.
I don't think even Dany knows Mereen law. In fact, there probably is no Mereen law, it's Dany's version of Westeros law...or simply Dany law.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Grey Worm vs Drogon

It's a joke, dude.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Grey Worm vs Drogon

It's a joke, dude.

I thought you were confused. People didn't know who Grey Worm was as of a page ago.
Squirrel Master
AG
She did what she had to do, but sometimes there are consequences, like the people hating her now. I don't know how you can see a guy get explicitly told that there would be a trial for a guy, then go and kill the other guy and leave him on display in the city like that, and not view as an act of betrayal and treason. He was part of her inner court and committed gross disobedience. The idea that she was supposed to wave that off is silly.
JJxvi
AG
She made one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Essos, but slightly less well known is this...Don't put a guy on your inner council just because he was the first ignorant slave guy to grab a knife.
redline248
AG
quote:
She did what she had to do, but sometimes there are consequences, like the people hating her now. I don't know how you can see a guy get explicitly told that there would be a trial for a guy, then go and kill the other guy and leave him on display in the city like that, and not view as an act of betrayal and treason. He was part of her inner court and committed gross disobedience. The idea that she was supposed to wave that off is silly.
I think the biggest mistake she made, which is actually unbelievable writing, was putting the guy in a cell not guarded by Unsullied. Zero chance the Unsullied let that guy in to kill the prisoner.
JJxvi
AG
Why would they guard him? Its not like he was a member of some super secret organization nobody knows anything about or anything.
MaroonStain
AG
Someone on this thread is being That Guy.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Remember that the "trial" would likely be nothing more than an opportunity to tell the story to the ruler. She WAS the ruler. She HEARD the story. She DECIDED the case. Time for dinner.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Shouldn't a fair trial involve a jury?
Not in a feudal system or anything similar.
redline248
AG
um, to keep him from being murdered before his trial?
JJxvi
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Someone on this thread is being That Guy.
Not sure if you're referring to me, but I'm pretty sure it was written in a way that there should be debate about what she did, and whether she made the right move or not.
The Debt
quote:
quote:

Magna Carta
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Magna Carta
So, we are assuming that Westeros has had a uprising of its Barons and that they have imposed a new political Order upon the Iron Throne? I may have missed something in the books, but I seem to recall the Mad King executing people at whim and the Targs in general being somewhat despotic.

In fact, the very first scene in the North involved Ned Stark catching an (accused) deserter from the Night's Watch and basically executing him on the spot. I certainly do not recall a trial. whether by jury or otherwise.

We need to be careful that we do not impose our (often erroneous) preconceptions regarding medieval England upon Westeros.
Andy07
AG
Can we all agree Dany sucks and Lyanna Mormont's allegiance to the King in da Norf was awesome?
The Debt
I agree. Why would we assume westeros has had a magna carta?

A jury of one's peers is not something we have observed in westeros at any time.
redline248
AG
Tyrion's trial was the closest to anything like that, and that was only b/c he was Hand of the King and a nobleman. The lowly nobodies get a quick judgement from the King (i.e. Joffrey telling the minstrel he can lose his hand or his tongue). In the deserter's case in season 1, Ned as Warden of the North carries out justice in the name of the King.
La Bamba
AG
House of Black and White and the return of Jaqen H'ghar. I'm ready to see Arya become a deadly ninja.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
House of Black and White and the return of Jaqen H'ghar. I'm ready to see Arya become a deadly ninja.
I think she is already in fine ninja form. Did you see her cut the head off that pigeon with Needle? Impressive.
Cromagnum
AG
Is Gendry still rowing?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was honestly hoping the first scene of the season would be him rowing to shore somewhere.
cajunaggie08
AG
quote:
Is Gendry still rowing?
according to this map, yes

TheCougarHunter
AG
Needs more Hodor

And boobs
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Needs more Hodor

And boobs
It's an HBO show. The second is almost required.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
Needs more Hodor

And boobs
It's an HBO show. The second is almost required.
I was a little disappointed last night when the rating guide only had warnings for AC, L and V
TheCougarHunter
AG
So far this season has been a snoozefest of man-ass and severe lack of tits

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.