***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,288 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
The Sand Snakes can't even finish a fight with each other

I was trying to paste that quote and had technical issues. Just genius
Stive
AG
Gotta admit....I laughed when Bronn got the crap knocked out of him.
unmade bed
For a split second I thought Jorah took out Dany with the spear. I was like WTF?
jabberwalkie09
AG
"Pie looks good."

"There was one... condition."

*smack*

"Perhaps some soup instead?"
Texas Tide
AG
quote:
So in the Stannis vs Bolton fight you can root for the family that raped Sansa and murdered the Starks or you can root for the guy who just burned his daughter alive.

I'm rooting for the others. They seem well organized, they clearly are working towards goals, not everything revolves around some dumb chair, and they even have the decency to bring everyone back once they kill them. I'd argue they are the most good guy faction in the game.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The White Walkers are the Freedom Fighters... trying to bring down a wall, fight oppression, etc.
La Bamba
AG
Let's talk the physics and positioning of the final scene. Dany and her crew are surrounded, clearly outnumbered, and all hope seems lost. So lost that she touches that chicks hand, closes her eyes and basically concedes death. At that moment, Drogon comes to raise some hell, but not really. I mean he's burning a couple of them down, but the harpies are still throwing spears at him, some of which are making contact and slowing Drogon down. Then Dany decides to casually walk to Drogon as if nothing is happening....seriously she should have been speared in half, twice, given the entire time she spent petting her dragon in the middle of a battle. Second, she gets on his back and flies away, completely peace-ing out on her friends. If I'm Tyrion, I'm not thinking "wow dragon!", im thinking "turn around bit@* there's still a sh*tload of harpies down here". I get it, the dragon is cool, but everyone stopped what they were doing except the harpies and we're supposed to believe they all make it out alive despite being grossly outnumbered? How does that happen?

And Shireen was sick but I half expected that and nothing surprises me anymore with this show. My feelings for characters died when Oberyn died last season. Sad....
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
So in the Stannis vs Bolton fight you can root for the family that raped Sansa and murdered the Starks or you can root for the guy who just burned his daughter alive.

I'm rooting for the others. They seem well organized, they clearly are working towards goals, not everything revolves around some dumb chair, and they even have the decency to bring everyone back once they kill them. I'd argue they are the most good guy faction in the game.
Uh, how do you know? He's called the Night's king, when the WW cause night to fall on everyone, he'll be sitting on the iron throne.
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Not enough laugh cries on TexAgs to show how much I love the post above me
Joan Wilder
AG
While I understand why Stannis did what he did, I had a very hard time with the show dwelling and lingering on a child's screams while she was burned alive. That was horrible.

Glad to see Dany ride the dragon.
Madmarttigan
AG
quote:

holeee sheeeeeeeeet
marble rye
AG
quote:

Otherwise known as Election Year 2016.
jdls13
AG
**** you, Stannis
reb,
AG
quote:
NYT recap - - a good read
Some others:

Esquire
Entertainment Weekly
GQ
Vanity Fair
WSJ
Hollywood Life

Reading through those and the comments sections (god, the comments sections are the most terrible places on the web), it seems a good number of folks are "Seriously WTF" about Dany peacing the eff out of the fighting pit on Drogon and leaving Tyrion/Daario/Jorah/Missandei behind instead of attempting a rescue.

Really? She's the Queen! Yeah I'm sure they want to live but her life is the most valuable and getting her the eff out is what they want most. Would anyone really expect (or want) the POTUS to stick around and save the secret service and the cabinet if Marine One just landed and was taking on damage? No, you get the POTUS to the choppa and out of harms way. (there's an obvious joke here for people who don't like the current POTUS, im speaking generally here)

Like I said in my earlier post, Drogon was not invincible, he was looking very killable. Those spears clearly hurt him and Dany could tell her baby was in danger. It's completely up in the air whether Drogon actually could have survived the fight had the harpies regrouped and made a full court press to take him down. It's not like they could all just hop onto him like a Southwest flight.

The dragons are still growing and despite being badass (and I think we can finally put to rest the question of whether she would ever be able to control them), they still aren't physically ready to take over Westeros.

This scene has been 5 years in the making and it needed to be just how it was...after hundreds of years, a Targaryen riding her dragon.

Her crew will still be alive in the next episode. Something will have happened to save their butt like a battalion of Unsullied reinforcements arriving from elsewhere in the city to mop up the Harpies whose biggest advantage was the element of surprise.

edit: added more recaps
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
While I understand why Stannis did what he did, I had a very hard time with the show dwelling and lingering on a child's screams while she was burned alive. That was horrible.

Glad to see Dany ride the dragon.
Is that a euphemism for getting high?

Urban Dictionary cracks me up sometimes:
quote:
1) To operate a vehicle on the 11mi stretch of highway US129 famus for it's 318 curves, known as "Tail of The Dragon".

1) To go all out, to venture into the unknown, to wing it, to face ones fears, to reach the limits of sanity;
(2) to eat at a McDonalds in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Seven Costanza
AG
I was worried about Missandei there for a second. That girl is gorgeous and I like her little character.
reb,
AG
A couple of other thoughts.

Arya. I can't recall any specific quote but there is a definite impression that in order to become a Faceless Man, one has to let go of their identity completely. She's not able to do that, the Kill List is still calling the shots for her. Jaquen also knows whenever she's lying but he said nothing when she returned to the House of Black and White.

But, it seems set up so perfectly for her, in the next episode, to retrieve Needle from where she hid it, return to the brothel with a changed face, get picked by Meryn for a pedophilic roll in the hay, and to kill him.

So...blah. I'm at a loss. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't feel that the Many-Faced God will impart the ability to someone who has not let go of their identity and who wants to kill for vengeance. Maybe in the season finale we see Arya's training come to an end, either by her choice of Jaquen's, she somehow still kills Meryn, and she hops aboard a ship back to Westeros. It'd be kind of unsatisfying for this whole subplot to yield nothing for her except crossing a minor character off her list. It would leave her character without having had any development at all, and to me that makes for a bad subplot. I hope I get surprised. Maybe the showrunners will pull the trigger and have her forsake the list and go all-in with Jaquen. We'd pretty much lose the Arya we know and love, but it'd be a bold move that could open up a lot of interesting possibilities for "Arya" to go do the Many-Faced God's work in Westeros.

Davos. Non-trivial chance he says "eff this" after finding about Shireen and decides Braavos is a good place for an old pirate to retire. It would be cool to see him end up in Dany's entourage, given that his good-nature jives with hers.
zgood10
AG
quote:

mattvswild
AG
quote:
But, it seems set up so perfectly for her, in the next episode, to retrieve Needle from where she hid it, return to the brothel with a changed face, get picked by Meryn for a pedophilic roll in the hay, and
to kill him.
Whatever. I'm totally prepared to see Meryn catch her, rape her, torture her, cut off her head, and then - for good measure - take advantage of her newly-dead body... all on screen, of course.
The Dog Lord
AG
I too was a little like WTF?! at Dany leaving the rest of them, but it looked like the Unsullied had actually mopped up the last few Harpies who had stuck around. There were a few of them sticking spears into people on the ground while Tyrion and the rest just looked up at Dany flying. Now, once the dragon was gone could be a different story, but Dany was really the main target. By then perhaps more Unsullied would be arriving.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I too was a little like WTF?! at Dany leaving the rest of them, but it looked like the Unsullied had actually mopped up the last few Harpies who had stuck around. There were a few of them sticking spears into people on the ground while Tyrion and the rest just looked up at Dany flying. Now, once the dragon was gone could be a different story, but Dany was really the main target. By then perhaps more Unsullied would be arriving.
Yes, the Harpies were gone in the final scene
bangobango
AG
quote:
Let's talk the physics and positioning of the final scene. Dany and her crew are surrounded, clearly outnumbered, and all hope seems lost. So lost that she touches that chicks hand, closes her eyes and basically concedes death. At that moment, Drogon comes to raise some hell, but not really. I mean he's burning a couple of them down, but the harpies are still throwing spears at him, some of which are making contact and slowing Drogon down. Then Dany decides to casually walk to Drogon as if nothing is happening....seriously she should have been speared in half, twice, given the entire time she spent petting her dragon in the middle of a battle. Second, she gets on his back and flies away, completely peace-ing out on her friends. If I'm Tyrion, I'm not thinking "wow dragon!", im thinking "turn around bit@* there's still a sh*tload of harpies down here". I get it, the dragon is cool, but everyone stopped what they were doing except the harpies and we're supposed to believe they all make it out alive despite being grossly outnumbered? How does that happen?

And Shireen was sick but I half expected that and nothing surprises me anymore with this show. My feelings for characters died when Oberyn died last season. Sad....
The Harpies were there to assassinate Dany. When she left, their mission became moot and they probably didn't feel like throwing half their force away just to kill who was left. Not to mention that reinforcements would arrive at some point.

That doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me at all.
SuperAg05
AG
The thing that most are missing about the Dany/Mireen story line is the direct call-back to Robert Baratheon in Season 1. He mentions to Ned about how much easier it is to fight a war than rule a Kingdom. Dany is now learning that lesson. It's very easy to grab an army and go killing a bunch of fools, but now to have that army work as police and stop conquering and start ruling, it's a completely different animal, and one she MUST figure out if she is ever to rule the 7 Kingdoms.

To be honest, I really dislike the Dany story-line in general, but this past season has really helped put her narrative into perspective and give it some meaning. She knows, generally speaking, how to conquer. Now she has to figure out how to rule.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I got the distinct feeling that Dany ain't coming back to Mereen.
stick95
AG
quote:

I have seen this picture 5 times now, and it still cracks me up.
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Good episode. Not as good as Hardhome but still damn good.

Ugh.....Shireen. Stannis has been one of my top 3 favorite characters but he dropped down quite a bit after that. That was terrible. That was right there with Red Wedding and Oberyn's death. Now Shireen at the stake. Those 3 scenes are pretty tough to watch IMO, and I have a strong stomach. Still rooting for him over the Boltons but not by much any more.

Dany's dragon rescue was cool. Really glad we got to finally see some fire breathing badassery.

Also, haven't seen anyone comment on this........what about my man Jorah? I know the dude is Friend zone lvl 99 so to speak but you got to give him credit for his perseverance and tenacity. Also, the guy is a pretty badass fighter. Glad to see his fortunes turn about some.
BarryProfit
Did anyone else worried that when he touched Dany's face there at the end he may have given her the plague or whateverTF it is that he's infected with?
chipotle
quote:
Did anyone else worried that when he touched Dany's face there at the end he may have given her the plague or whateverTF it is that he's infected with?
Well not until now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't he have gloves on?
reb,
AG
quote:
Yea that's a bit disconcerting. But, the spot of the infection is on his forearm and was probably covered in armor. I don't think we know much about greyscale but I would guess that you'd have to make contact with the infected area. Otherwise...well she's going to die
reb,
AG
quote:
IIRC, no. There was a close-up of Dany putting her hand in his and I don't remember gloves.
Quinn
AG
quote:
I mentioned that to my wife, but I bet they just ignore that it happened.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
quote:
IIRC, no. There was a close-up of Dany putting her hand in his and I don't remember gloves.

And then Dany held hands with Missandei...
TX_AG_10
AG
I think Jorah's love/obedience to Danrys is hindering him from making smart decisions. His decision to return to Mereen and fight in the pits was extremely selfish. He just wanted to see her one more time. "Who cares if I have a deadly disease that get transmitted by touch". I don't think these were his intentions, but I certainly dont think he was thinking cleary about his return to Mereen. I think this decision will come back to bite him in the butt and I got a feeling they are about to have a serious greyscale problem.

I do think he will get some credit for saving Danrys, but i still think she'll be pissed he came back knowing he had greyscale.. Just my $0.02

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.