***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,216 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
AggieHank86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Have they even called the controlled undead wights in the show?
Show Wiki (careful of book references at page bottom)

The term "wight" is a common usage for the resurrected dead in the fantasy genre. I have seen it in works by dozens of authors.

I don't think the show has ever called them "zombies" either, but we use that term because it too is a common usage.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

The term "wight" is a common usage for the resurrected dead in the fantasy genre. I have seen it in works by dozens of authors.

I don't think the show has ever called them "zombies" either, but we use that term because it too is a common usage.

I wasn't asking why we use certain words to describe them. I was trying to remember what the show calls them. They just say stuff like "the dead?"
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
I wasn't asking why we use certain words to describe them. I was trying to remember what the show calls them. They just say stuff like "the dead?"

I think Samwell may have used the term when he was reading in the library at Castle Black, but I am not certain of that.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
You'd know how to spell it just by knowing the word, which is a pretty standard fantasy type creature, even included in Tolkien and Shakespeare.
You learn something new every day. I'm not much of a fantasy guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wight
Independent George
AG
I have been rewatching from the beginning and have really enjoyed getting a refresher. I am new to the threads this season and am wondering if jons mother has been discussed here.

the first couple of episodes raise some questions I never much gave any thought to before but seem pretty significant now.
TX AG 88
AG
I do think the term wights was used in the show. Maybe Maester Aemon after Jon saved LC Mormont from one?
LHIOB
AG
quote:
I do think the term wights was used in the show. Maybe Maester Aemon after Jon saved LC Mormont from one?

Im pretty sure it was used here
Rocagnante
AG
It's been discussed so fire away, but if you've read the books best to take it to the other thread.
Independent George
AG
Well there has to be a good reason why Eddard Stark never would reveal to him who his mother is. I still find it hard to believe Ed cheated.

Maybe he was another bastage of Robert Baratheon that he was trying to keep covered up?
gomerschlep
AG
Didn't Ramsey's dad tell him a little while back that his mom's last name was Snow? Hinting that he and Jon were brothers?
redline248
AG
Snow is the standard last name given to bastrds in the north.
gomerschlep
AG
Oh. Must have missed that, but then why was that his mothers name?
Independent George
AG
Or maybe his last name is snow cause he is secretly a WW.

But really, I thought that is just what they called the bastages, Snow.

What was Gendrys last name before he vanished?
Ambres
AG
In Game of Thrones .. a child of an unmarried person uses the last name of the region they are from...

Reach - Flowers
Westerlands - Hill
Iron Island - Pyke
Riverlands - Rivers
Dorne - Sand
North - Snow
Vale - Stone
Stormlands - Storm
Crownlands - Waters

So yea Ramsey Snow and Jon Snow are both guys born from the North with unmarried parents.
Agustus Caesar
AG
quote:
Didn't Ramsey's dad tell him a little while back that his mom's last name was Snow? Hinting that he and Jon were brothers?

All high born *******s in the north are called Snow.
Riverlands= Rivers
Westerlands= Hill
The Vale= Stone
Stormlands= Storm
The Reach = Flowers
Dorne = Sand
Crownlands= Waters
Iron Islands= Pyke
The Debt
quote:

If you are watching online the commentary used the terms wights as a differentiator from the WWs.

There are the ice demons with the icy weapons that shatter steel (wws) and the reanimated hordes with normal weapons (wights).
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
quote:

Wights = undead with intelligence (add Lich, Vampires etc)
Zombies = undead without intelligence (add skeletons etc)

Yeah, I've DnD'd for many years.
chipotle
Wight is right
Ambres
AG
Also a zombie bites you.. you turn into a zombie.. a wight bites you and it just pisses you off.. see the Giant of example... i am a little sad not to see a Giant as a wight.. cause that would be cool too.
Sentinel
AG
You'd need a really big Valyrian steel sword.
AggieDPT
AG
I expected the giant to turn while it was in the water and kill Jon and everybody on the boat.
The Debt
We may see undead giants, we see undead horses and humans. I said in the other thread if I were to make an undead army, step one is resurrecting any and all unburnt corpses north of the wall.

So if the WWs came across a giants corpse, guess what.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
I expected the giant to turn while it was in the water and kill Jon and everybody on the boat.

Oh man, that is dark. But wow, that would have been a gut kick.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
We may see undead giants, we see undead horses and humans. I said in the other thread if I were to make an undead army, step one is resurrecting any and all unburnt corpses north of the wall.

How long do they have ? Can a corpse be dead for 10 years and still turn?
The Debt
quote:
quote:

How long do they have ? Can a corpse be dead for 10 years and still turn?

We are all guessing here but based on some of the undead bring fresh wildlings and some being skeletons, the WWs can resurrect whatever they find. There is a distinct possibility the undead that attacked bran have been sitting underground for thousands of years. And, quite possibly, some of those skeletons are from the first war between WWs and the first men.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Wight is right
You think it is a coincidence that the "Brothers" take the "black"
Rocagnante
AG
Sentinel
AG
So is Tommen just sitting in his room jerkin it? He needs to man up!
Cromagnum
AG
I get what a wight is from DnD, but it could also just be a "white" which is short for whitewalker.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
I get what a wight is from DnD, but it could also just be a "white" which is short for whitewalker.
Why would it be short for white walker? The undead are nothing like the white walkers.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
You'd need a really big Valyrian steel sword.
Nah, wights = undead that can be taken out without a special weapon. White walkers are the ones you need Valyrian steel and/or dragonglass.
tmaggie50
AG
How does one become a white walker to begin with?
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:

I think you have to be nominated. This is typically a substantial financial donation. And there are several rounds of interviews.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
So is Tommen just sitting in his room jerkin it? He needs to man up!

Probably. He seems like the type to sew.

Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.