***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,208 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Independent George
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is the giant just walking along the sea bed?
Seven Costanza
AG
Cut to close shot of Jon rowing away. Cut to close shot of WW staring back. Back to Jon. More dramatic staring. Cut to wide shot showing the boat 8 feet from the pier and moving away at a snail's pace.
combat wombat™
AG
Best episode of the year and no sex, no rape, not even any nudity, that I can recall.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
Cut to close shot of Jon rowing away. Cut to close shot of WW staring back. Back to Jon. More dramatic staring. Cut to wide shot showing the boat 8 feet from the pier and moving away at a snail's pace.
The guys with the oars should have been stroking like the Tech bellringer, but I guess they just couldn't take their eyes off what was happening onshore.
zgood10
AG
quote:
IceDude obviously wanted Jon to see what he's up against rather than kill him right then
Rocagnante
AG
Heavy metal cameo last night:

https://www.yahoo.com/games/news/yes-mastodon-game-thrones-last-124400383.html
boy09
AG
quote:
There's also the dagger that was used to assassinate Bran.

I think it was mentioned that most of the old powerful houses have valryian steel swords but OathKeeper, HeartEater, and Longclaw are the only known ones to this point.
Widow's Wail
M.C. Swag
AG
Got it. I believe other's corrected me a few pages back.
HtownAg92
AG
I looked up where Hardhome is on the map. WW army is spitting distance from Eastwatch by the Sea. Of course, they were just as close when they were at the Fist, but went east instead of south. I guess they were waiting for winter to officially start. Or following Mance's army.

easttexasaggie04
AG
So are all the surviving Wildlings now on those ships? That's all that's left? Or are there other camps north of the wall also?
Rocagnante
AG
quote:
So are all the surviving Wildlings now on those ships? That's all that's left? Or are there other camps north of the wall also?

how many made it to the ships? One review said 5000. There is also the remaining part of the army that attacked the wall still camped out just north of the wall.
HtownAg92
AG
I think Jon told Tormund that 5000 boarded the ships but "too many are staying", then all hell broke loose.

I thought at first that there was an avalanche or volcano erupting. Didn't think army of undead.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Good recap by HBO
boy09
AG
quote:
I thought at first that there was an avalanche or volcano erupting. Didn't think army of undead.
I thought it was some kind of storm rolling in and all I could think was, "Oh ****, winter is actually coming.." Nope, just zombies.
Seven Costanza
AG
quote:

Same here. I thought it was just a wave of "Winter" rolling in.
chipotle
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Me when the **** started going down:
Independent George
AG
I thought Jon was going to have the giant shoot an arrow with a dragon glass tip at the WW leaders that were on the cliff. If he can shoot one up the wall at the crowd why not the WW.

Then again that was a massive arrow with a massive bow.
RebAg13
AG
Best episode yet
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
But I am curious again. If Hardhome was episode 8 and the big **** often happens in episode 9, this week should be good.

I''m certain we're gonna get some more great ****, but there is no way that it can be on the scope of what we just saw. I'm betting Battle at Hardhome is the most expensive thing HBO has ever produced.

That said, we're probably seeing dragons do cool stuff too this season.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:
But I am curious again. If Hardhome was episode 8 and the big **** often happens in episode 9, this week should be good.

I''m certain we're gonna get some more great ****, but there is no way that it can be on the scope of what we just saw. I'm betting Battle at Hardhome is the most expensive thing HBO has ever produced.

That said, we're probably seeing dragons do cool stuff too this season.

A guy I work with and I were talking about how we would have loved to have 2 episodes showing the battle at Hardhome like the Battle at Castle Black in S4, but agreed that the CGI probably would have cost a fortune.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, D&D kept talking about a battle this season that was by far the most expensive in the series, and now we know why.

The only downside is, if they blew most of the budget on this, what will we get in the last two episodes that is nearly this great? Probably won't be getting a full-blown battle at Winterfell anymore. But after these last two episodes, I'm sure it'll finish strong. Some fantastic storylines will come to a head.
COOL LASER FALCON
I thought that episode was already one of, if not the, best of the season before the battle. Which is pretty crazy since we didn't get any Little Finger or Grandma Tyrell.

I thought Dany and Tyrion were really great and Qyburn is becoming one of my favorite characters. "The work continues." Zombie Mountain is going to bust Cersei out of there.
LHIOB
AG
I think we can assume that they won't show a battle at Winterfell, if there even is one, due to how much they spent on Hardhome. Money well spent HBO, money well spent.

Its funny because all season people have been talking about the battle this season and everyone assumed it would be Stannis vs Roose because its been set up all season long. Oooooops!
Squirrel Master
AG
I think the only "Battle for Winterfell" we'll be getting is Ramsay and his 20 men doing whatever he's planning on doing. Roose and the fall of Winterfell are going to happen some other way. Brienne is present but just chilling for a little too long. I'll bet money that she kicks some ass in the last episode.

They are being so heavy-handed with the 'Ollie will kill Jon' foreshadowing, that I'm wondering if it will actually happen. A couple episodes ago, I was pretty sure some Nights Watch betrayal was headed his way, now it's almost too obvious.

Dany and Tyrion were great. Great combo.

King's Landing hasn't really been exciting in a while, which is why the Sparrows were created I presume, but with everything else happening, it's even more irrelevant.

I do think it's interesting and telling how much the rest of the world doesn't fear what's north of the Wall. Such an 'out of sight, out of mind' mindset. Everyone knows of the Watch and that they matter, but don't do anything to really support them. We know stories of them make it to the rest of Westeros, because Ramsay knew Jon was Lord Commander and Tyrion knew of Mormont's killing. But everyone is just concerned with their own business. If anyone, only Stannis is really aware, even then, I'm not sure how much he is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Keep in mind, 99.99% of people in Westeros/Essos have never even SEEN a White Walker, much less a whole army of them. I'm sure a lot of people are probably skeptical of their existence, and the ones that aren't probably don't expect to ever see one in their lifetime.
powerbelly
AG
I also think most think of the wall as a place to send criminals and disgraced nobles. The function is not really to protect anything anymore.

They have been battling the wildlings for thousands of years, but that is really only a problem for the northern lords.
Stive
AG
Yeah the foreshadowing for Ollie betraying Jon is neck deep at this point. The whole "making tough decisions" conversation last night with Sam so crazy obvious that that's what they're wanting people to think. It's going to be weird if he (Ollie) doesn't at least try to kill/hurt/betray Jon.

So what's the point of Jorah going back into the fighting pits just to get back in front of Dany? Is he going to try to win? And if so, what would be the point? Is he going to try to lose/die? Again, what would be the point? That whole thing is a bit lost on me at this point? And how is the grey-scale going to play into it? Does he figure that since he has it, he might as well go out with a sword in his hand?

So Arya's first assignment is going to be to kill a crooked life insurance salesman? There's some humor there somewhere.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think Jorah knows he is going to die soon, and just wants to die "fighting" for Danaerys, since that's all he has left in his life.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Finally caught up on episodes 7 and 8 for the season and that's no avalanche. Things have finally started happening this season.
boy09
AG
quote:
I think the only "Battle for Winterfell" we'll be getting is Ramsay and his 20 men doing whatever he's planning on doing. Roose and the fall of Winterfell are going to happen some other way. Brienne is present but just chilling for a little too long. I'll bet money that she kicks some ass in the last episode.
Brienne is just waiting for the right opportunity to make a move and no one is expecting her. I think she's going to throw a wrench in Ramsey's plan. However, that seems a little too obvious, so that's probably the opposite of what's going to go down...

quote:
A had a little beef with the fighting at Hardhome. For awhile there it was really hard to see who was killing who, IMO
I think it's fair to assume it was mostly The Dead killing Wildlings....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm very happy with the way these last couple episodes are coming out. Before episode 7, it looked like a bust of a season, and yet if they finish with another 2 great episodes, the overall season will look a hell of a lot better once seen all together. 6 "setup" episodes and then 4 great episodes to finish isn't too bad.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Keep in mind, 99.99% of people in Westeros/Essos have never even SEEN a White Walker, much less a whole army of them. I'm sure a lot of people are probably skeptical of their existence, and the ones that aren't probably don't expect to ever see one in their lifetime.
I think even Ned questioned their existence in the first episode.

I'm not sure that anyone that isn't at the Wall has seen one.
Sentinel
AG
What if Jorah plans on infecting everyone with gray scale?
RebAg13
AG
That would be incredibly lame

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.