***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,207 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Goldie Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or maybe nothing will happen and we can pretend that dumb storyline never happened
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Wow, they really did lay groundwork. I don't remember this quote.

Stuff like this is why people are annoyed with the High Sparrow and the Faith Militant
redline248
AG
Honestly, it's not really HBO's fault.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Honestly, it's not really HBO's fault.

Oh I know. Heard it's just like that in the books. Just uncharacteristic of GRRM.
reb,
AG
Are people certain that Stannis isn't going to do the same thing in the next book, anyway?
dave94
AG
quote:
His radar was up though because of the way he questioned Stannis regarding the reasoning for being sent back to Castle Black.

This. He knew something didn't seem right about the need for him to take the message to Castle Black. His gut told him something bad was gonna happen.
Aggie Infantry
AG
good info.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Duncan Idaho
What the **** do Muslims have to do with anything?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm assuming "wrong thread".
Teddy Perkins
AG
So do dragons in GOT need a runway to start flying? Seemed like Drogon had to get a running start on he and Dany's escape. Maybe it's because he's young. These dragons still have a lot of growing to do. Dany needs to get them in armor ASAP too.

Duncan Idaho
quote:
I'm assuming "wrong thread".

I am thinking worse. More likely one of those that think their signature is 1)clever and 2)appreciated
Duncan Idaho
I was thinking the runway need was due to age.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, here's my question. They seem to want us to forget that Littlefinger is marching on Winterfell with his army of the Vale, but he is, correct?

So I'm thinking if and when the battle for Winterfell actually takes place, LF's army will show up at the last second and take Winterfell. If that were to happen, would he become Warden of the North or would it fall to Sansa as the "true heir"? Is there an actual protocol there or does it pretty much a become a decision for LF to make?

I know LF's angle is for Cersei to make him Warden of the North but she no longer appears to be in a position to make that happen.
redline248
AG
I doubt he has word of that, yet.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
So do dragons in GOT need a runway to start flying? Seemed like Drogon had to get a running start on he and Dany's escape.
Big birds often need a runway if they aren't taking off from a cliff or tree.

Natasha Romanoff
Age and/or the spears in his neck weakened him slightly would be my guess.
Texas Tide
AG
quote:
So, here's my question. They seem to want us to forget that Littlefinger is marching on Winterfell with his army of the Vale, but he is, correct?

So I'm thinking if and when the battle for Winterfell actually takes place, LF's army will show up at the last second and take Winterfell. If that were to happen, would he become Warden of the North or would it fall to Sansa as the "true heir"? Is there an actual protocol there or does it pretty much a become a decision for LF to make?

I know LF's angle is for Cersei to make him Warden of the North but she no longer appears to be in a position to make that happen.

For a narrative that refuses to buy into typical tropes and norms GRRM sure does like to have a deus ex machina army show up across hundreds of miles at the last possible second to swing the outcome of pivotal battles.
Agustus Caesar
AG
that's if the vale army arrives. i don't think we'll see that this season.
and it's not really a deus ex machina, considering the vale has been long established since the prologue of book one (one of the rangers is a Royce), the murder of their lord puts the events in motion, and their crazy Lady purposefully keeps them out of the War of the Five Kings.
The Vale is not a populous as the Reach, Riverlands, or Crownlands, but is untouched, like Dorne.
Duncan Idaho
Bull****. That only happened on the blackwater, night's keep and in reverse with the white walkers last week.

Oh wait.
mhayden
quote:
Bull****. That only happened on the blackwater, night's keep and in reverse with the white walkers last week.

Oh wait.

Gandalf says "look to the East and say hi -- this plot device in epic battle stories has been going on for centuries".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Oh wait.

Gandalf says "look to the East and say hi -- this plot device in epic battle stories has been going on for centuries".

Rape has been pretty common in history but we don't hold it up as something we should all aspire to.

The ghost army in lord of the rings was terrible.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not a fan of ghost army, but the Rohirrim charges in Two Towers and ROTK are epic.
boogieman
AG
This isn't the thread to discuss the books. This is the show only thread. Seems some people need to be reminded of STAFF'S warning.
israeliag
AG
quote:
Not a fan of ghost army, but the Rohirrim charges in Two Towers and ROTK are epic.
The Ghost Army was more Deus Ex Machina, but the Rohirrim made sense - they were the people who divided from their mad king, and Gandlaf, knowing their importance, rallied them back in support of their country.

I wouldn't call LF's Vale Army as Deus Ex Machina either, since he stated (if I remember correctly) that he wanted the Boltons and Baratheon armies to slug it out, and then he'd come in and cleanup.

The Wildling army would be more of a deus ex machina in this situation if somehow they get involved (i.e. Davos rallies them or something).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Davos leading the Wildlings would be epic.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
The Ghost Army was more Deus Ex Machina, but the Rohirrim made sense - they were the people who divided from their mad king, and Gandlaf, knowing their importance, rallied them back in support of their country.

I wouldn't call LF's Vale Army as Deus Ex Machina either, since he stated (if I remember correctly) that he wanted the Boltons and Baratheon armies to slug it out, and then he'd come in and cleanup.

The Wildling army would be more of a deus ex machina in this situation if somehow they get involved (i.e. Davos rallies them or something).

Exactly. Littlefinger wouldn't be there to help the Boltons or the Baratheons. He'd be thee to take it for himself. This isn't Deus Ex Machina. It's what we call in the Xbox live gaming communities as vulturing the kill.
mhayden
My point with the LOTR reference was that in order to actually pen an exciting story about a group being saved from the brink of destruction, then the group actually has to be saved from the brink of destruction.

Yeah the armies are coming "just in time", but if they were coming way early there wouldn't be a whole lot of tension, and if they were coming way late then there wouldn't be much of a story.

Yeah he goes to the well with it a lot, but otherwise there's not much to build up tension.

Jaime showing up right as the Sand Snakes were showing up is the only "battle" I've seen in this show that just looked so convenient it was out of place.
Goldie Wilson
Davos + Jon Snow co-leading an army south in a 4-episode buddy cop story arch
Duncan Idaho
quote:

The buddy cop spin off I wanted was "the hound and the stark" with sandor and Arya traveling around the 7 kingdoms doling out their own sense of justice. Like an r rated violence filled BJ and the Bear.
Objective Aggie
AG
Tywin + Arya =

Kindergarten Knights -
As one of the most most powerful men in Westeros, Tywin Lannister thought he had seen it all. Nearing his retirement, he was called into a top secret mission that required he partner up a young commoner named Arya. With the future of the Seven Kingdoms in the balance, this unlikely duo solved various crimes and capers, with hijinks sure to follow. Things are not always what they appear as Arya's previous background is called into question. With cameos by Martin Lawrence and Jack Black.
zgood10
AG
quote:
quote:

The buddy cop spin off I wanted was "the hound and the stark" with Gregor and Arya traveling around the 7 kingdoms doling out their own sense of justice. Like an r rated violence filled BJ and the Bear.
That's Sandor, bud!
Duncan Idaho
Oh snap big **** up on my part
The Dog Lord
AG
Also, in the situation everyone is describing about LF, he isn't coming in to save the day while others are on the brink of destruction. He would be biding his time waiting for both to weaken before sending them both over the brink to serve his own ends. Now if he shows up to support Stannis or the Boltons at the last second, that is a different story.
Sentinel
AG
Arya and a zombie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.