***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,231 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bold prediction (because wtf not). The LoL sticks it right in the gut of everyone jumping off board Team "Stannis the Mannis" and not only delivers the Stag King and his armies from starvation and exposure, but he is so impressed with Stannis' faith that it begs to be granted the complete annihilation of the Boltons at Winterfell and the North will be his. Yes, R'hllor makes great demands of his worshippers, but far be it from him to bring only woe to those who serve him best, the world will see that the sacrifice of his child was the most loving, fatherly act a King could ever bear for his people. Blood magic is real, and faith will be rewarded, because that is the world everyone lives in on Westeros.

LF shows up, sees which way the wind is blowing as he smells Rouse roasting on a pyre, and pledges fealty to Stannis. He, not Cersei, makes him Warden of the North. Right before it's too late, Ramsey takes Sansa hostage and flees for the Dreadfort, with Brienne in hot pursuit.

Credits roll. BOOM.

at least I think it'd be quite interesting if happens like that.
Sex Panther
AG
I've got a question about the religions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

There are two primary religions in the known world, The Faith of the 7 and the Lord of Light?

Faith of 7 primarily Westeros
Lord of Light primarily Essos

So is Arya's Many Faced God assassin house part of the Lord of Light or is it something separate?

And not to turn this into the Religion and Politics board so hopefully Agnzona's google alert won't go off... but it's clear that the Faith of 7 is modeled after Christianity... So is the Lord of Light supposed to be loosely based on Islam/Mohammed?

Or should I just squash that notion right away?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's also the old Gods that the Starks worship, and the drowned God.

I'll let someone else post in depth because I don't know much about the religious aspects of the show.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
I've got a question about the religions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

There are two primary religions in the known world, The Faith of the 7 and the Lord of Light?

So is Arya's Many Faced God assassin house part of the Lord of Light or is it something separate?

And not to turn this into the Religion and Politics board so hopefully Agnzona's google alert won't go off... but it's clear that the Faith of 7 is modeled after Christianity... So is the Lord of Light supposed to be loosely based on Islam/Mohammed?

There are also the "old gods" that are primarily worshiped in the north and the "drowned god" of the Iron Islands. The faith of the 7 is probably more widespread though in Westeros and some in Essos as well (where it came from originally). The Many Faced God is kind of a different thing, but could potentially even be considered all of them simplified (i.e. all religions/gods are correct but they simply refer to the god of death). I think there are others as well although less major.
boboguitar
AG
quote:

Weird, in what way is the face of the 7 loosely based off of Christianity? 7 different aspects of a god, sounds like Hinduism. The language used when discussing lord of light is very much borrowed from the bible.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

The many faced God is every god. Because every god has his people die at some point.

The old gods that the Starks worship are based off the religion of the children of the forest. We really don't know too much about them except for the weir woods set up all around Westeros(like the one Sansa would go to in KL).

The Drowned God is what the Iron Islands worship. We don't really have a whole lot of knowledge on this, other than he hates fashionable clothes. Unless you take them from somebody else.

The 7 seem like Christianity not as much as in the doctrine, but it seems very closely related in how the politics of the church are organized.

The Lord of light is an eastern religion. There have been three different priests we have seen in the show. The most prominent is Melisandre. Uses her power to destroy, shows her tits a lot. My favorite.

There was also the guy who served Beric Dondarrion, the guy who runs the brotherhood without banners. He uses his powers to keep bringing Beric back to life.

The last is the one Tyrion saw. Who was talking about Dany.

All of the Red gods priests seem to be looking for a chosen one to help with its powers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
There was also the go who served Beric Dondarrion, the guy who runs the brotherhood without banners. He uses his powers to keep bringing Beric back to life.

Thought that was the Lord of Light as well.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
There was also the go who served Beric Dondarrion, the guy who runs the brotherhood without banners. He uses his powers to keep bringing Beric back to life.

Yes
astroaggie13
AG
quote:
quote:

He was just pointing out three instances of people who are influenced by the Lord of the Light.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Weird, in what way is the face of the 7 loosely based off of Christianity? 7 different aspects of a god, sounds like Hinduism. The language used when discussing lord of light is very much borrowed from the bible.

"The faith of the Seven is of course based on the medieval Catholic church and their central doctrine that there is one god who has seven aspects is partly based on the Catholic belief that there is one God but he has three aspects: Father, Son, Holy Ghost. With the Seven, instead, you have The Father, The Mother, The Maiden, The Crone, The Smith, The Warrior, and The Stranger, who is the death figure.

- GRRM

Article on the subject

(Haven't read it all. It's probably discussing the books though so be careful)
The Debt
Some one asked about the many faced god and where he fits.

Remember aryas fencing teacher? Syria forrel, first sword of braavos. There is but one god, the God of death. Now Arya is in braavos. Arya looked at the statues and said which is the many faced god,? I see the drowned god, the father, the stranger. Jaquen answers there is only one god and you already know his name and his gift, points to a dead man.

If you accept there is only one god and his aspects are worshipped differently across both continents it's a little easier to keep everything straight. It also tells you that all religions are right in ASOIAF.

Melisandre believes in a dualism, the Lord of Light versus the Nemesis. Both are aspects of the MFG.

The Faith of the Seven believe in a polytheism. All the aspects of the MFG. The builder, the crone, the stranger, etc.

The drowned God is a giant squid. The religion says "what is dead may never die". They baptize people in the ocean (usually drowning em then resuscitating them, you are now death reborn).

No one really understands the old gods. The question is: if there is one god is everything that is magical from this god? Bran can warg into animals, it is an ability only folks who worship the old gods can do. The children of the forest live for a long time and haduken magic at the undead, are those abilities from the God of death? Maybe.

While Dany used the witches death in drogos pyre to bring life to the dragon eggs (blood magic) is that from the MFG? Also as a targaryen, dany cannot be hurt by fire. Is that just a genetic magic that some Targaryens get? Is that from the MFG?
reb,
AG
quote:
Some one asked about the many faced god and where he fits.

Remember aryas fencing teacher? Syria forrel, first sword of braavos. There is but one god, the God of death. Now Arya is in braavos. Arya looked at the statues and said which is the many faced god,? I see the drowned god, the father, the stranger. Jaquen answers there is only one god and you already know his name and his gift, points to a dead man.

If you accept there is only one god and his aspects are worshipped differently across both continents it's a little easier to keep everything straight. It also tells you that all religions are right in ASOIAF.

Melisandre believes in a dualism, the Lord of Light versus the Nemesis. Both are aspects of the MFG.

The Faith of the Seven believe in a polytheism. All the aspects of the MFG. The builder, the crone, the stranger, etc.

The drowned God is a giant squid. The religion says "what is dead may never die". They baptize people in the ocean (usually drowning em then resuscitating them, you are now death reborn).

No one really understands the old gods. The question is: if there is one god is everything that is magical from this god? Bran can warg into animals, it is an ability only folks who worship the old gods can do. The children of the forest live for a long time and haduken magic at the undead, are those abilities from the God of death? Maybe.
This post pleases me greatly. i don't know which i liked more...the genericness with which the dead terror sleeping in R'lyeh was referred to, as if the insanity of laying eyes upon cosmic horror was boring...

...the thought of lil forest folk with big ears and dappled skin hurling orbs of explosive energy at White Walkers like batsheet crazy woodland pikachus.

Thank you.
The Debt
One could argue the dualism between light and darkness, fire and ice is the pertinent religion we should pay attention to because white walkers and melisandres powers.

But face changing, warging, blood magic have all played (could play) major roles in the end game. Everyone kinda hopes bran will warg into a dragon at some point. He was already told warging into another human (hodor) makes him one of the most powerful wargs ever.
redline248
AG
One interesting thing about the Lord of light is the different way in which we've seen his power used. Melisandre uses it for death, the priest with the brotherhood uses it for life.

How does the ability to bring one back to life fit in with the many faced god?
The Debt
If it's life versus death, fire versus ice, we kinda shun at the idea that the Light God wants living sacrifices. But if the light god is merely one side of the MFG (the God of Death), the act of killing for sacrifice appeases the true god.

We have seen him birth a shadow assassin thing, birth is life. We have seen leaches with kings blood kill joffrey and robb. It's not like a pillar of fire jumped and consumed the usurpers, but it would be silly to call it a coincidence. Melisandre's voodoo is strong and has never failed. It even saved her from poison in the first scene we see of her.
reb,
AG
hrrrmm...dont get too distracted by absolutism. The 3 major religions nowadays are all about that but before, ancient mediterranean civilizations had supreme "good" gods that still did sheet out of pettiness and jealousy. Zeus, Hera...not always deities of the year IYKWIM.

Once you stop thinking Jesus and Mary and start thinking Loki or Thanatos...things get a lot more complicated but a lot more fun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
We have seen leaches with kings blood kill joffrey and robb.
We saw poison kill Joffrey and Roose Bolton kill Robb. Not sure we can definitively say it was because of Melisandre's blood magic.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
quote:
We saw poison kill Joffrey and Roose Bolton kill Robb. Not sure we can definitively say it was because of Melisandre's blood magic.
Bingo. The only one we know that Mel killed for sure is Renley.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Bingo. The only one we know that Mel killed for sure is Renley.

Pretty sure she killed Shireen.
redline248
AG
but not with some form of magic. Just plain old fire.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He probably thought the danger was on his end. Like who knows what's going to happen travelling through the North to get back to the Wall and back? Or if he thought there was danger for Shireen, he thought it was because they were in the middle of a battle camp. I doubt anywhere in his wildest imagination did he think Stannis would kill his own daughter. If Davos had known Stannis had that kind of cruelty in him, he would not have been following him this long.
Fine line between Cruelty and [Faith] Conviction....

If God demands a sacrifice, well then.... look at the Old Testament. I suppose Moses/God was cruel for killing the firstborn child of every Egyptian... but it was to get his Chose People free from captivity.
MandoArms
Howdy folks,

So something has been driving me crazy about Episode 9.

In the scene where Trant is in the ***** house trying to pick a girl, the madame introduces the second to the last girl, says she is their most talented and most expensive and then says her name.

Am I just hearing what I want to hear or is her name Inara and is this a shout out to Firefly?
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
Am I just hearing what I want to hear or is her name Inara and is this a shout out to Firefly?

I don't recall the name exactly, so she may have said that. That said, I'd be shocked if it was a Firefly reference, doubt the people involved would do that kind of thing. It sorta just sounds like a GoT-type name.
israeliag
AG
White walkers are the result of a Seven Kingdom experiment gone awry?!?!?
zap
AG
I think her name is Brea.

GIS the actress: Gemita Samarra

*hubba, hubba
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Howdy folks,

So something has been driving me crazy about Episode 9.

In the scene where Trant is in the ***** house trying to pick a girl, the madame introduces the second to the last girl, says she is their most talented and most expensive and then says her name.

redline248
AG
quote:

*hubba, hubba
When the scene starts, an unnamed concubine enters the room, she is too old for Trant. Brea is called, she is too old. The host says "I have just the one" and calls in Inara, the "most expensive girl", and "well worth it." I also wondered if this was a nod to the character on Firefly.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
quote:

*hubba, hubba
When the scene starts, an unnamed concubine enters the room, she is too old for Trant. Brea is called, she is too old. The host says "I have just the one" and calls in Inara, the "most expensive girl", and "well worth it." I also wondered if this was a nod to the character on Firefly.
Thought the same thing. Then I wondered if maybe there is some famous goddess or ***** in history that both shows took the name from.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it Sunday yet?
et98
AG
quote:
Inara (goddess)
From Wikipedia

Inara, in HittiteHurrian mythology, was the goddess of the wild animals of the steppe and daughter of the Storm-god Teshub/Tarhunt.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inara_%28goddess%29#cite_note-Siren-1][1][/url] She corresponds to the "potnia theron" of Greek mythology, better known as Artemis. Inara's mother is probably Hebat and her brother is Sarruma.
MandoArms
if it was any other character I could dismiss it as a coincidence, but another "companion" being name Inara, come on what are the odds?
Aggie Infantry
AG
Aggie Infantry
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
So the Game of Thrones trivia is this weekend. Any ideas for team names?

Not sure if there is a limit on number of characters but only one I could think of so far is:
Trivia Team, the Firsts of their Names, the Unburnt, Kings/Queens of Meereen, Kings/Queens of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khals/Khaleesis of the Great Grass Sea, Breakers of Chains, and Mothers/Fathers of Dragons
Sex Panther
AG
Shireen Didn't Start The Fire

Bring Your Daughter To Work Day

Friend Zone Level: Jorah

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.