***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,318 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was surprised that Jon didn't REALLY beat his men over the head with the fact that every wildling they bring south of the wall now is one less zombie that they'll have to fight later.
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:
I know WHY both things are happening: that was made very clear with the conversations in the show.

The "why" doesn't make Jon look any less naive about his position in command. And the "why" doesn't make Dany's choice any less out of left field.
Jon's why makes a lot of sense to me. Not only is the painfully undermanned, every wildling the walkers kill is now yet another foe. Getting the wildlings on their side is a win-win IF they cooperate.

Dany's is just odd. How does marrying some old family guy in Meereen going to help her take over Westeros?

I get that. The conversations last night make perfect sense with regards to the "why" of his decision. It just seems like a "touchy" decision to walk/sail away from a precarious position that he's in as Commander. It seems like the same naive type decision that Robb made when he killed one of his lords and lost part of his army. You're not in the best spot, and you're making a risky decision that could very well (probably) make it worse.
Ol Jock 99
AG
He can have Alester Thorne watch the Wall for him. What could go wrong?
Stive
AG
quote:
He can have Alester Thorne watch the Wall for him. What could go wrong?

That's kind of what I'm guessing happens. Or something equally sketchy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Completely random, out-of-left-field prediction:

When Jorah arrives, she'll send him to the fighting pits to fight her new fiance.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, a very controversial decision followed by leaving isn't exactly the brightest move. But I understand why they would take the story down that path.
easttexasaggie04
AG
  • GREY WORM LIVES!
  • Stannis' army looked massive leaving Castle Black, do the Bolton's have an army near that big? If so we haven't seen it.
  • It looked like a Stone Man grabbed Tyrion's ankle when he was in the lake. Am I wrong?
redline248
AG
He was definitely grabbed, but maybe only his boot/pants. I don't know if that counts or if it has to be touch on skin.
AggieDPT
AG
Dany was so promising last night and then decides to marry that weirdo.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Her groom interests me zero. They should have made us love him or hate him first. When the dragon was about to eat him I didn't even care.
zap
AG
Dany suspects Hizdahr is the leader of the Sons of the Harpy. She believes she can marginalize him by bringing back the fighting pits (under her rules) and marrying him.

boogieman
AG
quote:
Yeah, Dany's move seems incredibly premature. She needs to save the marital cooch for an alliance that really matters when she's ready to retake Westeros, not to hold friggin Mereen and slavers bay.

I wouldn't expect the marriage to last, even if it actually reaches that point. He's toast.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Dany suspects Hizdahr is the leader of the Sons of the Harpy.
What in the show leads you to believe this? Did I miss something?
easttexasaggie04
AG
She kept looking at him when she was talking about the Harpy. I thought it was pretty obvious she was accusing him over and over.
boogieman
AG
quote:
She kept looking at him when she was talking about the Harpy. I thought it was pretty obvious she was accusing him over and over.

Yup. I was thinking the same thing.
zap
AG
WILD speculation on my part:

*He's always in her face telling her to respect Mereen's traditions.
*Dany took the nobles into the dragon chamber to see who would cower and who would "man up." Hizdahr showed some bravery. She could sense something different about him from the other nobles.

That's my theory. As Murtaugh and Riggs would say, "It's really thin."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's interesting. Totally missed that then. I suppose he would have reason, with his father being killed.

I don't see how marrying the guy puts her in any better position though, to be honest.
AggieRebel
AG
So I know there is a theory about who Jon Snow's parents are but I'm not sure if it's a book reader only theory (I'm not a book reader and as far as I know it's just a theory) or if it can be discussed here. Because there was a scene in last night's episode that pretty much proved that theory in my mind. Ok to discuss here or would that be considered spoilerish?
98Centerpole
AG
As long as you are not a book reader and it is only a theory, everything is free game to discuss.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
As long as you are not a book reader and it is only a theory, everything is free game to discuss.

I would add, that if it is a theory that could have been proposed by ONLY watching the show.

If the theory is based on information that has not been in the show and that could reasonably be put together then OK.

It is wasn't or it couldn't, the I hope you like a banning.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Theory's on Jon's paternity are definitely NOT book only. Come on people!
khaos288
AG
quote:
So I know there is a theory about who Jon Snow's parents are but I'm not sure if it's a book reader only theory (I'm not a book reader and as far as I know it's just a theory) or if it can be discussed here. Because there was a scene in last night's episode that pretty much proved that theory in my mind. Ok to discuss here or would that be considered spoilerish?
All the other show forums I'm on have figured out this theory. It's not proven yet, but the amount of evidence given in show only clues is huge.
Rocagnante
AG
quote:
Theory's on Jon's paternity are definitely NOT book only. Come on people!

If you insist. The theory he talks about was put forward by book readers first, but its out there. I stumbled across it by accident. There is enough info in the show if you're looking for said theory.
AggieRebel
AG
Ok, discussing theory and scene below...

The theory is the R+L=J theory, which is Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon. The scene was when maester Aemon was getting an update on Dany from Sam and he satrts talking about being old and dying and how Dany would be the last Targaryen when he dies. He then says something to the effect of "being a Targaryen alone in this world is a terrible thing" and then immediately Jon Snow walks in. To me that was the creators telling us that Jon is a Targaryen. Would also think that means he's integral to the end game of all this so hopefully he sticks around.
Rocagnante
AG
I have only seen the show and would not have guessed said theory unless I was looking for it. The clues are only huge to book readers.
khaos288
AG
Show evidences are as follows

• the "previously on" showing Robert and Eddard in the crypts at Lyannas tomb
  • Ser Barristan talking about Rhaegar at length, and his lover/not fighter mentally
  • Jon being entering the scene as the word Targaryan leaves Aemons mouth
  • Aemons natural disposition towards Jon
  • Mellisandre taking in interest in Jon when talking about kings blood in the same episode
That's all of the top of my head, but I think there are even more than that. This has all been pretty recent too.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
There is enough info in the show if you're looking for said theory.

More than enough. My wife proposed the theory to me early in Season 2 and she's show only. Only more evidence since then.
Duncan Idaho
Nm
AJ02
AG
Did I imagine it or was there a conversation between someone on the show that rhaegar supposedly raped lyanna?
boogieman
AG
Between Sansa and Little Finger, I believe.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Show evidences are as follows

• the "previously on" showing Robert and Eddard in the crypts at Lyannas tomb
  • Ser Barristan talking about Rhaegar at length, and his lover/not fighter mentally
  • Jon being entering the scene as the word Targaryan leaves Aemons mouth
  • Aemons natural disposition towards Jon
  • Mellisandre taking in interest in Jon when talking about kings blood in the same episode
That's all of the top of my head, but I think there are even more than that. This has all been pretty recent too.
If you know what to look for, this all makes sense. The majority of show-only folks won't be making these connections though as I haven't heard anything from others. Obviously, some have (like Ol Jock 99's wife), but then again she didn't even need 2 seasons for her to consider it. What was it about season 1 & 2 that made her come up with it Ol Jock?
gigemags-99
AG
Nm
Ol Jock 99
AG
Nope.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
Nope.
Rocagnante
AG
I hadn't tuned into the importance of Rhaegar to the backstory of the overall series arc until these recent events. Until then I was going with Jon as another ******* son of Robert Barathron.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.