***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,205 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
AggieHank86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
That is what I thought, but I couldn't remember why.
In the Petyr/Sansa exchange, we learned that Rhaegar won the Tourney at Harrenhal and that he gave the title of "Queen of Love and Beauty" to Lyanna, rather than to his wife, Elia of Dorne.

Apparently, Rhaegar and Lyanna became somewhat besotted with one another and ran away together ... though Lyanna's family chose to interpret the matter as a kidnapping because (1) Rhaegar was already married and (2) Lyanna was betrothed to Robert Baratheon (then the heir to the Stormlands).

My question: Why would Rhaegar take Lyanna to Dorne of all places, when that is the ancestral home of the wife he appears to be jilting ... ruled by her older brother and inhabited by her crazy younger brother who seems to be a big fan of poisoning people.
Wes97
AG
Yeah if you go back to the first season, Robert railed about Rhaeghar kidnapping Lyanna but Ned just sat there never saying anything. And Sansa mentioned how Ned never talked about his sister but would come down there by himself to light the candle, etc... So it could be that Ned just did not like to talk about her or remember anything about it OR there was another reason he never talked about his sister (or talked about Jon's mother for that matter).
easttexasaggie04
AG
The stark in question...

I'm such a nerd.
boy09
AG
quote:
Yikes, I know what I am doing this weekend. GOT marathon.
I just started over on season 1 the other night, in anticipation of this season wrapping up...

I've also never gone back to watch season since I finally figured out who all the characters are. Just jumping into season 1 with no prior knowledge and trying to figure everything out on the fly is overwhelming.
redline248
AG
Oberyn (rip, too soon) had a scene last season complaining to someone about Rhaegar leaving his sister for another woman.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YES!!!
reb,
AG
I wonder how GRRM feels about all this. As a man. As an author. As a lazy ass author who is probably going to Robert Jordan on us anyway.

I want to -think- that he won't go all...i dont even know the term for it...intra-4thwall-meta...and change things up because everyone knows. So much loving detail has gone into planting a vast number of clues all along the way, with enough plausible red herrings to make the reader feel pretty sure it's anything but what it is...

That's gotta piss him off, right?

BTW, my punk rock band name is going to be called Intra-4thWall-Meta. It's all about the music and we're never gonna sell out.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I wonder how GRRM feels about all this. As a man. As an author. As a lazy ass author who is probably going to Robert Jordan on us anyway.

I want to -think- that he won't go all...i dont even know the term for it...intra-4thwall-meta...and change things up because everyone knows. So much loving detail has gone into planting a vast number of clues all along the way, with enough plausible red herrings to make the reader feel pretty sure it's anything but what it is...

I have no doubt that R+L=J is correct (don't know how you can even argue against it at this point) and I am curious to see if he and/or HBO change it because they're pissed everyone figured it out. Which I firmly believe is what happened with Lost.

I also think that if you are strictly a show watcher and don't do any kind of following online with message boards, blogs or podcasts, then you would never guess that theory at this point.

I know if I talked about it to my Dad he would be blown away... And then he would ask me who Rhaegar and Lyanna are. And then he would say, "I don't know how you keep up with this ****"
Rocagnante
AG
Agreed. I think the vast majority of people who watch the show only haven't picked up on the theory Jon may be a Targaryean.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I know if I talked about it to my Dad he would be blown away... And then he would ask me who Rhaegar and Lyanna are. And then he would say, "I don't know how you keep up with this ****"
Talked about it with my wife and this exact scenario played out nearly word for word. Though, as we go through and watch the series over again to prepare for a Trivia Contest next weekend (NERD ALERT!), she did point out that the clues are there, but it was hard to see them. Mainly because all of dialogue in the first and second season is hard to follow when you are still going through and putting the pieces together of the different houses and characters.

Totally agree about Lost, by the way. So obvious that they were supposed to be in Purgatory, but everyone guessed it within 1 or 2 episodes.
chipotle
Who cares about Jon?! I want to know more about Gily.
redline248
AG
moar Sweet Robyn, please.
Rocagnante
AG
Asked my wife about it and she had no clue. She's binge watched the entire series over the past month, but never reads any articles about the show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Which I firmly believe is what happened with Lost.

You seriously think the island was supposed to be purgatory?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
Which I firmly believe is what happened with Lost.

You seriously think the island was supposed to be purgatory?

You seriously don't?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They said early on it wasn't. And by early I mean the first two or three episodes.
Scotch
AG
but... ****LOST spoiler alert****

IT WAS!

...freakin' hated that ending.
redline248
AG
Interestingly enough, they all ended up in purgatory anyway...in the flash sideways stuff, or whatever they called it. I don't think the island was purgatory to begin with, though.

/end my help derailing this thread
Agustus Caesar
AG
Grrm has stated some people have figured out the books, and he will not change from his end game. Not sure about the show howeveer
Goldie Wilson
Edit: here's my guess as to what happens next based on zero knowledge of anything in the books:

Jon and whoever follows him head south to escape from WW, gradually collecting houses and armies on the way. Dany leads army west because HOLY **** WHY IS SHE STILL IN MEEREEN. Armies clash somewhere in westeros. Jon doesn't want to fight, only wants to flee from WW. Dany sees Jon and his army as a threat, so she attacks. Uh oh, here come the dragona. All hope is lost for Jon & Co. But wait here's Bran to warg into a dragon and save the day! Hooray! Then Jon and Dany probably bang bc they're related. They rule Westeros together happily ever after. Then the WW come and annihilate everybody.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
Jon and whoever follows him head south to escape from WW, gradually collecting houses and armies on the way. Dany leads army west because HOLY **** WHY IS SHE STILL IN MEEREEN. Armies clash somewhere in westeros. Jon doesn't want to fight, only wants to flee from WW. Dany sees Jon and his army as a threat, so she attacks. Uh oh, here come the dragona. All hope is lost for Jon & Co. But wait here's Bran to warg into a dragon and save the day! Hooray! Then Jon and Dany probably bang bc they're related. They rule Westeros together happily ever after. Then the WW come and annihilate everybody.
thanks for ruining it for the rest of us...
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:

Spoiler alert. This is straight out of the books.
MookieBlaylock
AG
And here come the guys who never got to play sports trying to show off

Guess what book nerds you aren't that smart so fook off
The Debt
It's gonna suck having another sex scene with dany bc we won't get to see her Cs
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
It's gonna suck having another sex scene with dany bc we won't get to see her Cs
reb,
AG
quote:

this isn't the book thread, beavis. i think you may be lost.

when you get a flat, its your wife out there changing the tire, isn't it.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
quote:

Spoiler alert. This is straight out of the books.
there are books? If so, I've never read them.
Objective Aggie
AG
Independent George
AG
Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better a Lost discussion breaks out!

Technically the writers stuck with their plan but told a white lie. Mama said a little white lie never hurt nobody.

I just don't think Martin nor the show writers are going to let it end up all that nice and pretty. im glad they keep us on our toes though, that's what I like about the show. I wasn't addicted to it till Ned's head was removed from his neck.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
reb,
AG
Saxsoon
AG
quote:

I am sorry you can't read above a first grade level
AggieRebel
AG
quote:
A few episodes back, Maester Aemon was telling Sam T. that he felt bad for Dany being alone, so far away and the last of his family. Immediately after he sad that, Jon Snow walks in. I'm just wondering if it was somehow forshadowing that maybe Jon is actually half Targaryen as previously suggested. We shall see I suppose.

Hmm, where have I seen that before? *cough* pg 26 *cough*
TCTTS
AG
Hearing tonight features another epic episode...
Sentinel
AG
Can't wait!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.