***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,215 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I completely agree. I have no idea where this "if they don't show the death on screen, don't trust it" line of thinking comes from. It's certainly something I could see them doing at some point, but until they do, I'm not going to consider it a possibility.

Jon is dead. Whether or not he gets brought back is another question.
seriously? It's been pretty much a staple of episodic television from the beginning.

This show is not typical tv. Name a show that killed its biggest star in the first season and ratings got better and better each season?
30_Days
AG
quote:
A part of this series?

I don't know, but as pointed about by Ramrod, the opposite has certainly been true.

What other major recurring characters have died off screen? I can't think of any.
Scotch
AG
Sounds like GRRM will be just as surprised as we are when Syrio shows back up, because he will.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Sounds like GRRM will be just as surprised as we are when Syrio shows back up, because he will.
This guy gets it.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:

What other major recurring characters have died off screen? I can't think of any.
Arya's dancing instructor, The Hound and Stannis
TheDraw
AG
They told it wrong
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I think the people holding on to the dead people in this thing are chasing rabbits.

Show me one person that they "resurrected" a season later....or 2 seasons later....or 3 seasons later.... They haven't show us any "SURPRISE" moments like that. The Mountain got poisoned, but literally the next episode, the Maester is telling Cersei that he thinks he may be able to save him. The guy that the Hound cut open that was brought back to life, was brought back to life 5 minutes later in the same episode. There haven't been any out of the blue, call back type moments of people you saw die on the show (or even alluded to being dead) that 3 seasons later, and on the other side of the world, they pop up and say "See.....they didn't really kill me!!!"

The only one that I've waffled on with this is the Blackfish (Cat's uncle) who they made a pretty obvious show of sending him out of the room before the massacre went down.

But this crud about the Hound, Stannis, Syrio, etc., to me, is reaching beyond reaching.

Edit to add: I'm holding my thoughts on Jon for now. My theory above could still stand if next season in episode one the Red Witch runs over to him and brings him back to life (next episode, same day in the timeline).
right...we also haven't had a season end on a guy lying there dying.....not dead....dying....

i didn't see a last gasp, eyes dilate, stop breathing.....lots of blood and motionless sure....but unless he is a really bad actor he didn't get that stone cold "death face"...it almost looked like his mouth was moving slighlty....eyes still focused.

in the words of
Miracle Max: There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. Inigo Montoya: What's that? Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

and the red pristess is right nearby ...presence of kings blood...check assuming r+l=j
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

technically Ned was not shown directly....although the head was later....

this was the last scene and it cut away as you hear the sound....just like Brienne/Stannis except Ned is in frame.

Also the dire wolves were not shown - Lady was out of the shot you just saw Neds face and heard it...and Gray Wind was in the kennel at the red wedding and shot through the bars.
israeliag
AG
Hey, y'all remember when Grey Worm died?

30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:

Arya's dancing instructor hardly meets the criteria of a major recurring character, he only appeared in 3 episodes and has less than 10 minutes of total screen time

Stannis is part of the point of this discussion

The Hound is the only example that really holds, but even he wasn't as major a character as Stannis or Jon Snow, not by a long shot.

Next season we'll see.
Stive
AG
And if Stannis, The Hound, and Syrio aren't back alive and roaming he country side next season, are you going to say, "Wait until season 7......I need to see the body before its confirmed!!!!"

You know what, you didn't see Lysa Arryn actually strike the rocks when Littlefinger threw her out of the hole in the floor either. Maybe she sprouted wings and flew off halfway through her fall!!!!

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Don't be ridiculous, a dragon swooped in and caught her before she landed.
Sex Panther
AG
You know now that I think about it, we never actually saw Peter Gregory die...
bigjohn1
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
He could have stolen a sword from one of the 5 Kings Guard he knocked out.

Seriously, it's far fetched... but it's not THAT far fetched. Just a little more crazy than it being accepted as fact that Jon Snow will be resurrected by Mel and the Lord of Light.

Read my post on the subject of John Snow. He is dead until they show me otherwise.
Yup. He's dead. Dead is dead. Dead as a doornail. Assuming room temperature.

Until he gets brought back. In which case he will be alive.
To cross the streams of two shows and use a Silicon Valley reference:

In my Opinion, currently he is both dead AND alive (a la Schrodinger's Cat) and will stay that way until the first episode confirms one way or the other (or GRRM or someone says specifically, i.e. a cast member leaking script info.).
unmade bed
I think they didn't show Stannis's death for the same reason they didn't show the Bolton vs Barratheon battle up close in the episode - they already spent a ton of money on special effects on that episode and episode 8 and 9 so they didn't think it was worth it
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
You know now that I think about it, we never actually saw Peter Gregory die...
Peter Gregory is dead
Rudyjax
AG
Sheet. Stannis' daughter is still alive as well I guess.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
And if Stannis, The Hound, and Syrio aren't back alive and roaming he country side next season, are you going to say, "Wait until season 7......I need to see the body before its confirmed!!!!"

You know what, you didn't see Lysa Arryn actually strike the rocks when Littlefinger threw her out of the hole in the floor either. Maybe she sprouted wings and flew off halfway through her fall!!!!
Not at all; but based on how the producers handle the death of other major characters (yes, I'd say The Hound was a major character; no, Syrio is not) you are being intentionally obtuse if you don't at least question if they are actually dead.

At the end of the series if they never come back to Stannis or The Hound I'm not going to go banging on GRRM's and the producer's doors begging to know if they are alive or not. I probably won't even think about them for a while and then just go "huh...guess those guys did die. Oh well, on to my next show"; but at this point I have no reason to believe either of them are dead.

I'm not sure how anyone can accept the producers saying that Stannis is dead and those chose not to show it because it would be "too gratuitous". Stannis getting beheaded would be too gruesome; but watching Joffrey's veins pop and blood pour from his eyes, Janos Slynt's body shooting blood as his head falls to the ground, Oberyn get his skull crushed, Meryn Trant get stabbed all over his body by Arya, Shireen scream as she was burned alive, and all the other characters who we've seen have blood pour from their throats getting cut was all just fine.
chipotle
Selyse is doing just fine as well.
Quinn
AG
You have no reason to believe that he is dead besides he fact that he was bleeding out from his leg and someone was swinging a sword toward his head. Other than that, no reason.
Stive
AG
quote:
You have no reason to believe that he is dead besides he fact that he was bleeding out from his leg and someone was swinging a sword toward his head. Other than that, no reason.
And you HEARD the sword cut into him (excuse me......you heard it cut into SOMEONE). I guess Brienne could have had a Stannis Kingsguard jump up between the sword and Stannis. But since they didn't show it, we'll never know.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Not at all; but based on how the producers handle the death of other major characters (yes, I'd say The Hound was a major character; no, Syrio is not) you are being intentionally obtuse if you don't at least question if they are actually dead.

At the end of the series if they never come back to Stannis or The Hound I'm not going to go banging on GRRM's and the producer's doors begging to know if they are alive or not. I probably won't even think about them for a while and then just go "huh...guess those guys did die. Oh well, on to my next show"; but at this point I have no reason to believe either of them are dead.

I'm not sure how anyone can accept the producers saying that Stannis is dead and those chose not to show it because it would be "too gruesome". Stannis getting beheaded would be too gruesome; but watching Joffrey's veins pop and blood pour from his eyes, Janos Slynt's body shooting blood as his head falls to the ground, Oberyn get his skull crushed, Meryn Trant get stabbed all over his body by Arya, Shireen scream as she was burned alive, and all the other characters who we've seen have blood pour from their throats getting cut was all just fine.

who said it was "too gruesome"???.....producers/director just said it was unnecessary.

quote:
There's also speculation about whether Stannis is truly dead. We didn't see Brienne deliver that final, fatal blow.

Director: I think that was basically in the script. Dan and David felt it best not to be gratuitous with that. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne's life-long mission had come to an end. It's a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die. It would have been gratuitous.

gratuitous means "uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted."
gruesome means "causing repulsion or horror; grisly."
Ramrod
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure how anyone can accept the producers saying that Stannis is dead and those chose not to show it because it would be "too gruesome". Stannis getting beheaded would be too gruesome; but watching Joffrey's veins pop and blood pour from his eyes, Janos Slynt's body shooting blood as his head falls to the ground, Oberyn get his skull crushed, Meryn Trant get stabbed all over his body by Arya, Shireen scream as she was burned alive, and all the other characters who we've seen have blood pour from their throats getting cut was all just fine.

who said it was "too gruesome"???.....producers/director just said it was unnecessary.

quote:
There's also speculation about whether Stannis is truly dead. We didn't see Brienne deliver that final, fatal blow.

Director: I think that was basically in the script. Dan and David felt it best not to be gratuitous with that. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne's life-long mission had come to an end. It's a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die. It would have been gratuitous.

My bad...I got one word wrong, there goes my entire argument. I'll go back and change it for you.
Ramrod
AG
Sex Panther
AG
It is absolutely mind boggling anyone could think Stannis is alive
30_Days
AG
oh give it a rest.

Stannis is PROBABLY dead. But there's a big difference between probably and absolutely. Likely the matter will be settled the first episode of season 6, but until that time it's totally reasonable to guess and theorize what it might mean if he's not.

Same goes for Jon, The Hound, or anybody else.
Stive
AG
The f'ing producers are saying he's dead.......but internet wahoos are still clamoring that because we didn't see the sword hit the jugular, there's a CHANCE he's still alive!!!

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

My bad...I got one word wrong, there goes my entire argument. I'll go back and change it for you.

yes but your entire argument was he may be alive because they don't shy away from showing gruesome (horrific) deaths.....implying they did not show it in order to make it possible he was spared......thats not the reason they left it out.....

it CAN be simply a stylistic thing...and the Director may not have even intended what the Editor did with it which was make a quick "cut" from that to Ramsay doing the same thing to another victim....and they showed that. It obviously wasn't because it was too gruesome....it was kind of a clever shot to me. And the end result was the same in both - the victim was dead.
chipotle
Season 6: The Return of Ned
Stive
AG
quote:
Season 6: The Return of Ned
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
In my Opinion, currently he is both dead AND alive (a la Schrodinger's Cat) and will stay that way until the first episode confirms one way or the other (or GRRM or someone says specifically, i.e. a cast member leaking script info.).

So...if we watch next season and Jon dies, it's as if we murdered him ourselves.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see where D&D are coming from. We saw Stannis' world crumble in a matter of minutes. He has nothing and nobody left. We didn't need to see his head come off to know he is out of the game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On another note -

Ever since Season 1, I've been waiting to see a Stark reunion. Maybe not all the siblings, but at the very least, Sansa, Arya, and/or Bran. We're starting to get close to the finish line, and I'm starting to think it's never gonna happen, and if it does, probably not until the very last episode of the series.
Ramrod
AG
quote:

yes but your entire argument was he may be alive because they don't shy away from showing gruesome (horrific) deaths.....implying they did not show it in order to make it possible he was spared......thats not the reason they left it out.....

it CAN be simply a stylistic thing...and the Director may not have even intended what the Editor did with it which was make a quick "cut" from that to Ramsay doing the same thing to another victim....and they showed that. It obviously wasn't because it was too gruesome....it was kind of a clever shot to me. And the end result was the same in both - the victim was dead.
Fair enough, I hear you on the stylistic thing. I thought it was a clever cut as well, for what it's worth.

Actually my argument is based on how they handle the deaths of major characters; I just thought it was laughable that they trotted out that reason for not including the "death". I'm sure we'll get confirmation one way or the other by mid season 6.

I could go into, what I think, is pretty clear reasoning that Brienn didn't kill him based on her swing path...but that will just be met by cry/laugh deflections from people like Stive.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They just tried to film/edit it as a stylish way of transitioning between two scenes, and now they are saying ****, some morons think that Stannis is alive.

Unintended consequences.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.