***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,211 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When has Varys done anything selfish? (Other than that lady he brought back in the box).

Granted, he may have some ulterior motive but it hasn't been shown in the show at any point.
The Debt
quote:
When has Varys done anything selfish? (Other than that lady he brought back in the box).

Granted, he may have some ulterior motive but it hasn't been shown in the show at any point.

Remember Arya hearing Varys and Illyrio talking near the dragon remains in KL?

They are conspiring for war. They are supporting a viserys targaryen invasion to dethrone robert. He is a spider spinning his web. War is hell and those that try to start one are typically not good. But keep thinking varys is altruistic. Explain to me why a foreigner cares so much about the health of westeros.
redline248
AG
Doesn't make him evil. Would you say Napoleon was evil? He started wars to expand his empire all over the place.

Now, someone like Stalin...
AgLaw02
AG
Varys secretly supports the Targarian dynasty, but publicly supports the Baratheons. He's conniving, but not evil.
The Debt
quote:
Doesn't make him evil. Would you say Napoleon was evil? He started wars to expand his empire all over the place.

Are you arguing that killing thousands is aok because territorial expansion is justifiable? That's like saying Hitler was ok, if it wasn't for how he treated the jews.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Remember Arya hearing Varys and Illyrio talking near the dragon remains in KL?

They are conspiring for war. They are supporting a viserys targaryen invasion to dethrone robert. He is a spider spinning his web. War is hell and those that try to start one are typically not good. But keep thinking varys is altruistic. Explain to me why a foreigner cares so much about the health of westeros.

Explain to me why a book reader continually feels the need to post in this thread?
Stive
AG
While he may be a book reader, none of those posts are non-TV info. Varys WAS overheard down in the dungeons talking about the Targs and their alliances
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Are you arguing that killing thousands is aok because territorial expansion is justifiable? That's like saying Hitler was ok, if it wasn't for how he treated the jews.
Manifest Destiny says Hello
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
While he may be a book reader, none of those posts are non-TV info. Varys WAS overheard down in the dungeons talking about the Targs and their alliances
Yup, I am a book-reader, but I post about the TV show (only as far as I can tell) here. They are two different stories in my mind.
redline248
AG
While it's possible I don't have a real grasp on Napoleon's history, I have never thought he was on the level of Hitler.
jbanda
AG
I don't believe napo was about exterminating races, just conquest. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
I don't believe napo was about exterminating races, just conquest. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Right, but wasn't he a known megalomaniac?
The Debt
Napoleon believed himself to be an emperor, and he was for a while. Conquering peoples and nations kinda makes you one. He was the most feared man in Europe. He would invade countries because no one could stop him.

If one says it's ok to kill and take what you want, then every aggressor is moral and just.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Isn't this why we have Jus ad Bellum?
plowboy1065
S
Oh cool, now let's get back on the topic of GOT
mhayden
quote:
quote:
Yup, I am a book-reader, but I post about the TV show (only as far as I can tell) here. They are two different stories in my mind.

And in your mind you think that you are able to post without one influencing the other.

But you can't, in my initial read of your post it was quite obvious you know something in regards to what lies in store with Varys.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some images from the finale.

Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
But you can't, in my initial read of your post it was quite obvious you know something in regards to what lies in store with Varys.
Which post. Be specific. Quote it.

You people are so damn paranoid that you are searching for spoilers where none exist.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not much can be deduced from the pics except that Sansa is surprised/shocked at something. Stannis' army? Brienne?
Squirrel Master
AG
To be fair, that's a learned behavior when we've had so many people come on here with their "predictions" only to learn they were book readers and when we have so many people who are obviously book readers that decide to post in this thread.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
Not much can be deduced from the pics except that Sansa is surprised/shocked at something. Stannis' army? Brienne?
dragons!
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
and when we have so many people who are obviously book readers that decide to post in this thread
I've read the books and I post in this thread. It is really really easy to keep what you shouldn't say on here to yourself.

Why do I post here? It is fun to get others perspectives. And, as noted many times, several parts of Season 5 are basically new stories.

It is frustrating seeing people begging for details that aren't fully explored in the TV show (various religions, so&so's backstory, etc). Feels almost like entrapment.
Squirrel Master
AG
To be clear, I don't think you're the problem. I don't know that I would've pegged you to be in that group that post here. Some people are way more obvious and obnoxious about it (Debt, AggieHank). I agree with your comment about the questions people ask, such as the all questions about religions and Valyrian steel and such after recent eps. My view on those topics... the show does a great job of letting us know what we need to know, even helping us out with the 'Previously on GoT' at the start of each episode.
Quinn
AG
That's a fair point. If people want to know background, they should read the Ask the Maester columns on Grantland. That writer does a great job of giving additional info and filling in the gaps without giving anything away.
LawAg05
AG
This is a fun thread to lurk on for the new perspectives, but somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of this thread might be posts about spoilers, book readers, spoiled book readers, who has the sandiest vag, etc. So we are all clear, the books will be caught up after Sunday. Maybe then all the reader v. show nonsense can be put to rest.
redline248
AG
Only if the next book isn't release in the next year
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And in your mind you think that you are able to post without one influencing the other.

I don't think I posted anything about Varys, at all... You've got the wrong guy
LawAg05
AG
True. Although I've given up on hoping for anything with GRRM and his publication timetable. The possibility he may never finish is a very real one imo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
So we are all clear, the books will be caught up after Sunday. Maybe then all the reader v. show nonsense can be put to rest.
I don't understand how they got two seasons out of book 3, and somehow covered books 4 and 5 in a single season.

Edit: If you explain this to me, please do it on the other thread. I'm curious to hear about this.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
To be fair, that's a learned behavior when we've had so many people come on here with their "predictions" only to learn they were book readers and when we have so many people who are obviously book readers that decide to post in this thread.
Hopefully, I can be true to both stories and keep them separate... I will endeavor to honor that arrangement that is the spirit of this thread. I have read the books, and I am also a big Show fan as well... This is the show thread so I come here to talk about the show.

If I post a spoiler I expect to be banned.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
I don't understand how they got two seasons out of book 3, and somehow covered books 4 and 5 in a single season.
If you had read books 4/5, you'd understand. Pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of pages and pages and pages. Very disappointing compared to Books 1-3.
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:
Hopefully, I can be true to both stories and keep them separate... I will endeavor to honor that arrangement that is the spirit of this thread. I have read the books, and I am also a big Show fan as well... This is the show thread so I come here to talk about the show.

If I post a spoiler I expect to be banned.
Do they not talk about the tv show on the season 5 book readers thread? I just imagine its a bunch of "hey thats different than the book! And that's different too!" "Grrr why'd they change that??" "What happened to this knight?" or "That scene was way better in the book/show".
SpreadsheetAg
AG
It's actually more of a pissing match about the history of Westeros, Theories on characters, research on plot lines, and important topics like what is Valyrian steel made from...

Oh and diving into the psyche of some TexAgs posters who were more queasy about the horse on fire in Stannis' camp, than the death of a pleading, screaming 9-12 year old girl being burned alive by her daddy...
LawAg05
AG
Done. Looks like you have a few different book readers perspectives on it, in case anyone else is interested.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I look forward to being able to do this on one thread.

How anyone can watch that Shireen scene and not be deeply disturbed is beyond me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.