***** Game of Thrones: Season 5 (TV SHOW ONLY) ***** [STAFF WARNING ON OP]

578,303 Views | 3110 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Debt
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
replaced below
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ned told no one. If your sisters dying wish was to keep a secret that determined her childs life, you wouldn't tell either. Neds too honorable to betray her secret, even to his wife.

I know, I know... honorable Ned always keeps his word... And it helps sell that Jon is his b@stard which was ultimately the point... But you can't help but think this is another instance of Ned's honor being kind of dumb.
Kind of dumb? Neds honor literally killed him. If he was smart enough to play the game, he would have been able to easily escape Kings Landing. Or at least he would have been able to control the court and get Stannis in power, who he backed.

If he knew how to play the game he would have given Renly the green light to take King's Landing the night Robert died
Stive
AG
Assuming Jon is Lyanna's son, then If he had told ANYONE that Jon was a Targaryan then he puts him at a great risk. Robert was killing every Targaryan out there. If it had ever got out that Ned was protecting a Targaryan then it could have gotten pretty nasty.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
if my sister looked like Dany and we were living in medieval times, I would **** the **** out of her.

You could say that for most of the girls on the show.

Sansa, Margaery, heck Cersei had to have been a babe back in the day.
Did you see "300?"

"Back in the day ...." (Walks away shaking head)
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
The one thing about R+L=J that never made sense to me is Cat's hatred for Jon. You would think Ned could at least tell her so she'd lighten up on Jon and not resent Ned as much either. I'm pretty sure she could be trusted with the secret.
Cat makes bad decision after bad decision. Eddard was right to keep her in the dark.
mhayden
Re-watching the entire series to catch the SO up (and it's not a chore because this time through I understand a heck of a lot more about who these people are), and Season 1 makes it pretty damn obvious (in hindsight) that the theory is on the money with the lines that Ned and King Robert say. You don't know all the players at that point, but once you get into later seasons and further hints are dropped (I'm assuming this is why Melisandre tried to mount Rob -- with the only other two men she's "gotten close to" have been Stannis and Gendry).
mhayden
Any my feelings on Dany are that if she does live, she won't be a ruler. She's never wanted to rule, she's just wanted to free. If she finds a position where she can free people without having to govern/rule them, that is where she'll end up.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'm rewatching it as well and really enjoying it.

One thing I didn't pick up on was that the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch was Jorah's father. So that could be kind of a bond between Jorah and Jon if they ever cross paths. Assuming Jorah would recognize his sword.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I see your sword is as big as mine.
Stive
AG
quote:
Any my feelings on Dany are that if she does live, she won't be a ruler. She's never wanted to rule, she's just wanted to free. If she finds a position where she can free people without having to govern/rule them, that is where she'll end up.
Your "if she lives" comment was interesting.

I've never really considered that GRRM would kill off Dany, but who the heck knows. He's killed off others that we thought weren't "killable".

And if Rhaegar was Jon's father, is it possible that Jon can't be killed by fire either? That'd be an interesting twist.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I take nothing for granted with GRRM. It would be hard to imagine Dany not making it at least very close to the end of the overall story, but who the hell knows with this dude.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My enthusiasm for Dany has pretty much plummeted this season. I'd be more upset if Tyrion died than Dany.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
And if Rhaegar was Jon's father, is it possible that Jon can't be killed by fire either? That'd be an interesting twist.

Seriously, though, Jon got burned by the lantern he threw at the wight trying to kill the commander, right? Did that just deliver a blow to the R+L=J theory?
COOL LASER FALCON
Dany's brother got burned. "Blood of the Dragon" must be recessive.
Sentinel
AG
quote:

One thing I didn't pick up on was that the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch was Jorah's father. So that could be kind of a bond between Jorah and Jon if they ever cross paths. Assuming Jorah would recognize his sword.

I didn't pick up on this until this season. I feel dumb.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

How could he not?

jbanda
AG
LONGCLAW.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
Assuming Jorah would recognize his sword.
How could he not?

Longclaw originally had a bearhead pommel. LC Mormont had a new wolfshead pommel made when he gave the sword to Jon Snow.
TLS11
AG
quote:
quote:
Your "if she lives" comment was interesting.

I've never really considered that GRRM would kill off Dany, but who the heck knows. He's killed off others that we thought weren't "killable".

I think Jon was burned when he fought off the white walker that was in the Lord Commander's house. I think I remember his arm or hand being burnt
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah. Pretty sure he'd recognize that it is his old sword though. Would you recognize your old car if it had new rims?

It's still valyrian steel.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Yeah. Pretty sure he'd recognize that it is his old sword though. Would you recognize your old car if it had new rims?

It's still valyrian steel.
Jon and Jorah meet in a tavern. Jon has his sword in its scabbard on his back. Jorah sees nothing but the pommel and crossbar.

Now, if they draw on one another... different story, but I doubt they would be swapping tales in that instance.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Did you see "300?"

"Back in the day ...." (Walks away shaking head)

Funny thing about 300, when I saw it in the theater the dad in front of us covered his son's eye when there was a tit on the screen....no problem bringing your kid to a violent movie but one boob and oh ****! We can't be having any of that.
ChipFTAC01
AG
After watching Sunday's episode, I pulled up a GOT map to see where Valaryia is. For some reason I thought it was on the north side of the continent and I was confused why Jorah's path took them through there. Whilelooking at the map I noticed that Qarth was waaaay over on the far east side of the continent. Can someone remind me why Dany and Jorah went all the way over there?

I also got thinking about the role that mysticism and the supernatural play in the show. In someways it seems kind of superfluous and doesn't add a lot to the show. The warlocks of Qarth could have just been regular rich dudes that wanted to kill Dany, Melisandre's smoke baby could have just
been an assassin than killed Renly. As it stands now, warging hasn't added anything to the show (other than being cool). And other than the looming threatof "Winter is Coming", the Walkers are just a phantom menace driving some urgency for some characters.

Does the mysticism/supernatural add anything to your enjoyment of the show? Would you prefer if it was left out and it was just a House of Cards with more beheadings, flayings and nudity? The Walkers are the only thing I think the story would really miss. Ultimately their looming threat means that none of the petty squabbling between the realms of men are important compared to the survival of the entire
continent.

Also, how slow do these damn walkers walk? Wasn't that the beginning of Season 3 that Sam saw that huge WW army march past him?
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
I also got thinking about the role that mysticism and the supernatural play in the show. In someways it seems kind of superfluous and doesn't add a lot to the show. The warlocks of Qarth could have just been regular rich dudes that wanted to kill Dany, Melisandre's smoke baby could have just
been an assassin than killed Renly. As it stands now, warging hasn't added anything to the show (other than being cool). And other than the looming threatof "Winter is Coming", the Walkers are just a phantom menace driving some urgency for some characters.

Does the mysticism/supernatural add anything to your enjoyment of the show? Would you prefer if it was left out and it was just a House of Cards with more beheadings, flayings and nudity? The Walkers are the only thing I think the story would really miss. Ultimately their looming threat means that none of the petty squabbling between the realms of men are important compared to the survival of the entire
continent.

White walkers and DRAGONS, and the changing faces of Jaqhen are all important. Maybe the last not so much, but he's an interesting character, assuming Arya's storyline doesn't become a total bore.

Plus, I'm still holding out hope that the Brotherhood without Banners returns, and thus, the ability to reincarnate becomes relevant and important beyond just the dude that the Hound killed in the cave.

Also, we're definitely about to get FrankenMountain, who may or may not be important at all, but they are certainly building his character up subtly through Qyburn(sp?) and his crazy medicining.

In short, I think the magical and mystical elements of the show add a unique layer on the show that takes it passed just an alternative version of the British Medieval Age.
Squirrel Master
AG
Qarth? Is that the city Dany went to back in season 2(?) with the dude who wanted to marry her and stole her dragons and she ultimately locked up in that empty vault?
mhayden
Didn't they go to Quarth to get ships (or money for ships)?
HtownAg92
AG
I think they ended up at Qarth because it was the closest place to find sustenance after Khal Drogo died and the horde abandoned them. Weren't they heading toward a port to find ships after Drogo finally agreed to fight for Dany's throne?
Squirrel Master
AG
Yep, I'm pretty convinced we're all talking about the same place. Also probably the place some dude in the market tried to poison Dany and Jorah saved her.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Yep, I'm pretty convinced we're all talking about the same place. Also probably the place some dude in the market tried to poison Dany and Jorah saved her.
Vaes Dothrak for the poison wine. Remember that it was this attempt that ticked-off Drogo to the extent that he got interested in attacking the Seven Kingdoms.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Qarth? Is that the city Dany went to back in season 2(?) with the dude who wanted to marry her and stole her dragons and she ultimately locked up in that empty vault?
Daenerys and her group headed into the Red Waste (nasty desert) to avoid the steppe (the Dothraki Sea) while searching for the coast, because the group was too small and weak to risk running into another khalasar. They found Qarth basically by accident, because it was on the other side of the Red Waste.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

White walkers and DRAGONS, and the changing faces of Jaqhen are all important. Maybe the last not so much, but he's an interesting character, assuming Arya's storyline doesn't become a total bore.
I thought about dragons when I was writing my question, but for some reason excluded them. Maybe it's because dragons seem much more real than someone being reincarnated or smoke monsters or zombies. It's basically just a big lizard. Same reason I didn't really think anything of the giants.
Duncan Idaho
I agree he doesn't do enough with the mystical stuff to even bother with it.

Dragons aside.
OnlyForNow
AG
Let's delete our posts.

Sorry.
Duncan Idaho
Well since this is the "haven't read the book"thread...I meant grrm but if the HBO has toned it down, then the he is them.

COOL LASER FALCON
I like all the supernatural stuff except for the white walkers. I think having the imminent danger really drives the show. Just wish it was something other than zombies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.