***Official Game of Thrones: Season 4 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

207,085 Views | 2149 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Twelfthman
rhutton125
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah... Tyrion is more empathetic than most but I'm pretty sure he still admitted that mocking his cousin was the only time he felt normal like everyone else. So he's not QUITE Mother Theresa with this speech.
MW03
AG
I think Tyrion always had a soft spot for "pathetic" things. He tried to take care of Shae. He wanted to save Sansa from Joff. Seems like he decides to look after Penny, too.

hunter2012
AG
Cripples, *******s, and broken things...
El Chupacabra
So does Tywin get cross bolted this week or next?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Season finale is my guess. Next week is the Assault on Castle Black
Urban Ag
AG
it would not surprise me at all if this season ends with Tyrion having a date set for his execution and Tywin still alive, then have Tywin's death come as an early or mid season "shocker" in season 5. They have plenty to cover in the next two episodes on the wall and elsewhere, as it is.

The Missandei/Grey Worm thing is just weird. Maybe they are going for the angle of having some sort of endearing relationship present in the series. Who knows.

The added twist of Sansa outing herself was great and added some of interest to what is otherwise a pretty boring series of chapters in the books.

So now what are they going to do to get rid of the Hound? At this point they ought to just have him suffer a mental breakdown and Arya can drop him off with the monks that bury the dead. Probably not a big hurry to speed fer off the Braavos as that's also one of the more boring storylines as well, IMO.

And man, they are really getting some mileage out of the Theon/Ramsay/Roose storyline.
rhutton125
AG
Outside of what happens on the Wall, anyone care to guess what else we'll see the rest of the season?

- Tyrion's escape and double-homocide
- Arya and the Hound splitting up
- Stoneheart, most likely (given Cersei's tweet, as has been discussed)
- some really expensive scene in episode 10

Will we get any more scenes from Bran, Theon, Sansa, Brienne, etc? Seems like they could all be done for the year and it would feel natural.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
The Hound's wound is obviously infected. So that could be his demise. But they'd have to advance that quickly for it to happen this season.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Urban
^No I disagree....

they really have not dealt in cliffhangers and I don't think they will leave Tyrion unresolved.

But they may save it for the last episode....but I doubt it is even the last scene.

My prediction of last episode, not necessarily in order:

This whole season more or less (in KL anyway) has been about Joffrey/wedding/murder/trial/etc....and about Jaime/Tyrion relationship which has been set up well. You gotta resolve that. I think we will get Tyrion set free by Jaime and helped by Varys kills both Shae and Tywin....escapes by boat maybe we even know he is heading to Essos.

The rest will be about change in direction for main characters - somewhat hopeful and promising:

I think after the battle at the wall we will get Jon Snow elected as Lord commander of the nights watch and rejecting Stannis offer.

Dany will have to chain the dragons.

And Arya will depart for Braavos in some way.

I think the end of the episode though will be a complete shock to viewers - Lady Stoneheart revealed and they either simply tell the story of how she was resurrected or it ends with UnCat threatening to hang Brienne and Pod - ok thats a cliffhanger...but it's not a cliffhanger of the major story arc for this season.

[This message has been edited by mchensel (edited 6/2/2014 10:51a).]

[This message has been edited by mchensel (edited 6/2/2014 10:55a).]
MSCAg
AG
quote:
In the books doesn't the Mountain confess Tywin gave him the orders?
No, he just confesses to doing it. Which is why Tywin was adamant Pycell's keep him alive so that they could send him to Dourne to be executed.

quote:
I was disappointed by the fight. The Mountain looked like a lumbering idiot. He looked completely overmatched from the get-go. Really wish they would have gotten a real actor to play him and then use camera tricks to make said actor look giant.
Granted, its hard to mimic the Mountain's size on a TV show without a ton of CGI. That said, I thought the fight was good, if too short.

In the books, Oberyn basically kept circling and hitting his armor and the Mountain didn't really do anything. In the books, the fight came off extremely one sided.

In the show, the fight mostly went to the Mountain until the Viper got his second spear.
MW03
AG
I dont think there is anyway we get Jon as captain this season. I think we spend an entire episode at the Wall dealing with the wildling war and Jon/Ygrette, and Stannis saving the day.

The last episode we get Tyrion's escape, Jorah to Volantis, Arya to Braavos, and LSH.

Next season opens on the Wall with Jon winning the big job after leading them to victory over Mance.
rhutton125
AG
The fact that most of Jon's scenes this season (outside of the fighting episode) have been minor spats with Alliser makes me reluctant to believe the voting for Lord Commander will be swift at all.

Same way for anything Stannis does - it's been two entire seasons where he's essentially done nothing. It's a shame - Stannis is one of my favorite characters in the books. But boy are those scenes worthless. (until Braavos)

I tend to believe the show will continue to drag all things Jon and Stannis... but hopefully not.
redline248
AG
So, first, Jon and the Watch have to fend off the Thenns coming from the south. Then Mance shows up. They'd have to do that over 2 episodes, I would think. Is Thorne going to be killed in the Thenn attack? How else will Jon ever have command of the Wall when Mance shows up? My guess is that never happens, which would make his election as Lord Commander even more out of the blue.

One thing I just remembered. Brienne and Pod are headed toward the Vale now, too. Are they going to run into Arya and the Hound leaving?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
headed toward the Vale but a long way off i think...and intercepted by Lady Stoneheart before they arrive I imagine.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brienne vs. the Hound would be one helluva fight.
The Dog Lord
AG
It seems they are lumping Ygritte's and Mance's attack into one based on the preview. I still wonder if Bran meets the children in Ep 10 "The Children". A few episodes ago, I would have said yes, but he disappeared and likely won't be in Episode 9 if it is supposed to all focus on the attack on Castle Black. Are they really going to rush his journey to all of a sudden be there?
mid90
AG
Re: Tyrion and Jaime

something HAS to happen between them unless there will be a huge departure from the books

when Jaime confessed to Tyrion that Tysha was actuallly just a girl and not some ***** he had hired, Tyrion snapped internally. Whatever good will between the two of them dissipated and Tyrion lied to Jaime and told him he killed Joffrey, just to spite him in the hopes of causing him pain. Then he confronts Tywin about Tysha and kills him without hesitation when he lies.

Have they even mentioned Tysha on the show beyond the very minor tale Tyrion tells Shae and Bronn in season 1?
MSCAg
AG
All I know is next year I better hear "where do *****s go" a 1000 times.
zip90
AG
The perfect time for Tasha revelation would have been to replace the story of the bug smashing cousin.

Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
The perfect time for Tasha revelation would have been to replace the story of the bug smashing cousin.

Wut? That story happens after Jaime frees him...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah Jamie can mention it when he frees Tyrion just like in the books - Tysha (it is Tysha in the books at least) was mentioned in the Tv series before the battle in season 1 in the tent with Tyrion and Bronn and Shae. Bronn says he heard he was married once and he mentiones he married her after rescuing her from bandits out near Casterly rock with Jamie. And later Jamie revealed she was a ***** and Tywin paid the guards each a silver coin to have sex with her and Tyrion had to watch.

So it is all there, if people recall, Jamie can now tell the truth that Tywin made him lie since he had married a commoner and that she was not a *****.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
Quad Dog
AG
It was hard to tell with the light behind her, but did Sansa have her hair dyed black at the end?
JAggie2007
AG

edit...sorry about the image size

[This message has been edited by JAggie2007 (edited 6/2/2014 11:01p).]
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
Lady Stoneheart revealed and they either simply tell the story of how she was resurrected or it ends with UnCat threatening to hang Brienne and Pod - ok thats a cliffhanger...but it's not a cliffhanger of the major story arc for this season.

only problem with that is that Jamie still has to free Tyrion, decide his sis is a complete POS and leave KL, and then wander from castle to castle in the Riverlands putting an end to the war. All of that is a major part of the transformation of Jamie Lannister and would be interupted if he ran off to save Brienne.
The Debt
JAg2007, whats the point of those images?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Back to the fight....Oberyn's amazing character combined with the stakes of the combat and the horrifying/gruesome death itself all combined to make that the hardest/most gruesom death scene I've ever watched. I was physically nauseous for almost 30 minutes afterwards.......

I totally shouldn't have watched that episode so late. Won't be going to bed for a while now...

I liked the Beatle speech. It was all summed up in the line "what did it all mean?" What did the story mean? who knows. What has Tyrion's life meant? That's what he was really asking. Did his life really mean any more than his idiot cousin's? What's it matter what Tyrion's life meant to himself if he's dead? That's what I got out of it, and I liked it.

Really liked Sansa's development in this episode. As others pointed out, revealing er self bought protection and she's starting to play LF with her sex appeal. Been a while since I read the books, but I remember her being the eternal victim in them, and a huge bore. I think she's about to become much more interesting in the show.
The Debt
http://www.hypable.com/2014/06/02/anne-groell-george-r-r-martin-the-winds-of-winter-2/
taz997
quote:
JAg2007, whats the point of those images?

I think they are showing that Jaime and Varys have already discussed freeing Tyrion if the Red Viper loses.

However, in the books Jaime forces Varys to free him by knife point. I'm not sure how they will portray it in the show. Also, although it is not explicitly stated by Varys, he seems to goad Tyrion into killing Tywin on the way out by saying, hey definitely don't climb that ladder that leads to your dad's chamber.
JAggie2007
AG
Basically what Taz was saying, that Varys and Jamie already had their plan worked out.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
http://www.hypable.com/2014/06/02/anne-groell-george-r-r-martin-the-winds-of-winter-2/

Yeah can't say I wasn't expecting this at some point. Ever since he said the last two would be the longest in the series, I thought he might decide to split it up some more. His editor wants him to finish before HBO? I just hope we get Book 6 before HBO. There is ZERO chance he finishes the entire thing.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I wonder if the 8 books information is not a ploy to get a book out earlier than it would have been. i speculate the amount of information/length of remaining story is the same as its always been, but instead of breaking it up in 2 parts, they are going to break it up into 3. give a shorter Book 6 to the editors to publish, so that it gives GRRM a bit more time to finish the rest of the series and it alleviates the immediate pressure to get the next book out.
MSCAg
AG
Sansa looks good in black dresses.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Jaime doesn't have to run off to save Brienne, he wouldn't know anything about Uncat if that were to just happen.

I think he certainly already has talked with Varys and will let Tyrion escape and will leave KL himself - his relationship with Cersei has soured already and he was disgusted by the farce of a trial and his father.

But that can happen next season, no ned fo Jaime to just leave now. He stayed around a while after freeing Tyrion in the books, until Margery married Tommen and when he disagrees with Kevan Lannister who is then Hand of the King.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
It was hard to tell with the light behind her, but did Sansa have her hair dyed black at the end?

Yes, I noticed it too...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.