***Official Game of Thrones: Season 4 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

207,077 Views | 2149 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Twelfthman
LawAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I look at the show as confirmation of upcoming theories and plot lines which have not yet been released. Revealing Brienne is in "love" with Jaime is a prime example of something ambiguous in the books but confirmed in the show.

redline248
AG
That wouldn't have hurt his goal. He wanted Stark v Lannister, which is why he said it was Tyrion's dagger.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
I think you have two problems on that end. In the books, you've got POV interpretations of events. Characters (if they are not directly confessing) are only relating what they believe to be true. This is compounded by the problem of the "unreliable narrator" when your POV character is learning things from people who are known manipulators and liars (i.e., Littlefinger).

However, in the show, you are actually witnessing most events firsthand without having to rely on hearsay. I think that's why it's important to note that GRRM was the writer of the Purple Wedding. Martin is having to leave enough detail in what you can actually witness on the screen as opposed to having to rely on some version of the hearsay truth.

Agreed completely. It is ambiguous in the books because GRRM writes in POV. The show gave him the opportunity to make it crystal clear. Forgive the pun.
MW03
AG
I think we're also going to learn in pretty short order that Tyrion was looking at the jewel in the cup at the end of the episode (hence his confused face). He'll also know that the stone wasn't in there when Sansa handed him the cup. That's why in the "scenes from next week" he appears convinced that he was set up to take the fall.

The Tyrells had to know that Joff would attack either Sansa or Tyrion at some point. I think they wanted that stone found. More speculation. I don't think the Tyrell's intended to save Sansa. I think that was Dontos acting (with Littlefinger) to repay Sansa for saving his life. And of course, Littlefinger making a play to be the eventual Lord of Winterfell.
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
That wouldn't have hurt his goal. He wanted Stark v Lannister, which is why he said it was Tyrion's dagger.

Right, so Petyr steals a dagger from Robert Baratheon and intentionally sends a sloppy assassin to kill Bran knowing he will just blame it on Tyrion.

I always thought Joffrey was too stupid to come up with any plans. Cersei showed herself to be sloppy at times, and it was Tyrion's first suspicion that it was her that sent the assassin.

Is Tyrion set up to be the "smartest" and therefore, do we trust his interpretation of events over other characters?
jenn96
AG
Agree 100% MW. The Tyrells set up Sansa to take the fall, I have no doubt of that. Littlefinger saved her for his own purposes and used Dontos to get to her.

Great observation about the jewel still being in the cup. That would have also confused Tyrion more if he noticed that it matched the jewels on Sansa's necklace. In the books, doesn't he believe that Sansa was the poisoner?
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
Agree 100% MW. The Tyrells set up Sansa to take the fall, I have no doubt of that.

Not so fast my friend!

Weren't the Tyrells trying to marry Sansa off to Willas just a few chapters earlier?

Did they know Cersei wouldn't go for it? Did they plan on Cersei not going for it?

Once Cersei had Sansa marry Tyrion, did the Tyrell's change plans?
Malachi Constant
AG
The Debt
quote:
I agree with the Joff sending the assassin to kill Bran. That's what we're left to believe that Tyrion figured out.

However, there is a statement Littlefinger makes to Sansa once she makes it to the Eyrie about "Sometimes you do things that may even hurt your goal just to keep your enemies from knowing your true intentions."

That led me to think that maybe Baelish sent the assassin to kill Bran.

But that doesn't hurt LF's position or plans. If anything it accelerates then he wants war because chaos is a ladder.

Even if the knife man succeeded, how does Bran death hurt LF?
jenn96
AG
I don't know if the Tyrells actually planned to marry her to Willas or if that was just a way to gain her trust. At the time Robb was still the King in the North and they might have been it as a good insurance move in case he won.

But once she was marred to Tyrion, they no longer cared what happened to her at all. They may have liked her - I think they probably did - but she was a piece of the game. Olenna Tyrell is probably one of the best players of the Game of Thrones in the books.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

Right, so Petyr steals a dagger from Robert Baratheon and intentionally sends a sloppy assassin to kill Bran knowing he will just blame it on Tyrion.

You said LF's statement about sometimes having to hurt your own goals led you to consider that LF sent the assassin. That wouldn't hurt his goals.

Yes I believe Tyrion accurately figured it out and that Joff knew he figured it out. You're right Joff is stupid, that's why he picked a valyrian steel dagger instead of some kitchen knife. Seems like it happened too soon after Bran's fall for LF to learn about it and send an assassin anyway.
hunter2012
AG
So let's see:
LF poisons Jon Arryn via Lysa(setting everything in motion)
LF poisons Joffery via the Tyrells

Ned confronts LF on the catspaw LF deflects it to Tyrion

Occam's Razor:LF was telling the truth but instead of Tyrion taking it he sent the assassin. Regardless of success he would get what he wants, the Starks' suspecting the Lannisters.
mid90
AG
quote:
I think we're also going to learn in pretty short order that Tyrion was looking at the jewel in the cup at the end of the episode (hence his confused face).

idk, I mean maybe.....the more likely reason for his confused face was "damn, what was in this wine?"
hunter2012
AG
I figured it would have dissolved in wine.
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
I agree with the poster above that Joff did not send an assassin to kill Bran. He had no motivation. I still am not sure the whole motivation behind that.

Someone stated earlier that LF wanted to frame Sansa for the murder. What would be his motivation for that? I think the show portrayed the Tyrells behind the murder because they knew how cruel Joff really is. Since the marriage had not been consummated I think they knew that Margery would simply marry the next heir in line.
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you. Remember that, Sansa, when you come to play the game.
The Debt
quote:
I agree with the poster above that Joff did not send an assassin to kill Bran. He had no motivation.
He was pissed he had to observe courtesies with the Starks, remember Tyrion slapping him twice? He wanted to lash out and killing someone who forced him to pretend to be kind and it pissed him off. And Tyrion exacerbated that.

[This message has been edited by The Debt (edited 4/16/2014 11:29a).]
jenn96
AG
quote:
Someone stated earlier that LF wanted to frame Sansa for the murder. What would be his motivation for that?

Because it makes her totally dependent on him to save her. She can't run away, can't go elsewhere for help because she's wanted for treason - murder of the king. And if she betrays him he can use it against her.

[This message has been edited by jenn96 (edited 4/16/2014 11:46a).]
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree with the poster above that Joff did not send an assassin to kill Bran. He had no motivation.
He was pissed he had to observe courtesies with the Starks, remember Tyrion slapping him twice? He wanted to lash out and killing someone who forced him to pretend to be kind and it pissed him off. And Tyrion exacerbated that.

I think it was more along the lines of what Tyrion mentions to be the case. He's a 12-13 year old that hears his parents say "It'd be a mercy if they just killed the boy." So he decided to take action. Being the cruel little f_ckstick that he is, he thinks it is a good idea.
Tree Hugger
AG
Does is bug anyone else that they have Tommen looking about 6-8 years older than he should be? He becomes King when he is about 6 and all he cares about is playing with kittens and getting to use the King's wax seal.

redline248
AG
In the show he's always been older (just like Sansa, Robb, Jon, Arya, Bran, Rickon and Joff). This is a different actor, too. It's not a big deal. They'll find other ways to show he's not ready to be a king.
JJxvi
AG
Littlefinger doesn't want to frame her (the Tyrell's do, she's a convenient person who might have motive). Littlefinger simply goes along with it and helps the Tyrell's in order to set up a situation where he can remove Sansa from court in the ensuing confusion and force Sansa to be divorced from Tyrion or have Tyrion get killed thus widowing her.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 4/16/2014 11:59a).]
Tree Hugger
AG
He seems to have aged just a wee bit since the battle of the Blackwater

redline248
AG
yep, the new actor is older. Still don't care.
BTKAG97
AG
quote:

Littlefinger was never in Winterfell so he could not have sent an assassin to kill Bran because he didn't know about Bran's incident at that time.

However, he did know who was supposed to be the current owner of the dagger (Hint: It wasn't Tyrion), but he is a master liar and manipulator that he couldn't allow a good opportunity to create or spread discourse get away.
Fat Bib Fortuna
the picture of Joffrey and the pie has so many photoshop implications it makes my head spin.

New question I've been pondering. Can a warg (say Jon Snow or Bran) take possession of a dragon?
BTKAG97
AG
quote:

Joff did send the assassin and he did have motivation. It states the reason clearly in the books.
BTKAG97
AG
quote:
Can a warg (say Jon Snow or Bran) take possession of a dragon?

I can't recall if it ever was mentioned, but they probably can.
Thunder18
AG
quote:
quote:

Joff did send the assassin and he did have motivation. It states the reason clearly in the books.

I agree.
jenn96
AG
Re: warging a dragon. It's unknown. Huge point of speculation on the fan boards. One theory (based on nothing but imagination) is that the destruction of Hardhome happened when someone tried to warg a dragon and drove it insane. No evidence but fun to talk about.

[This message has been edited by Jenn96 (edited 4/16/2014 1:37p).]
hunter2012
AG
Wow Tommen is a lot older than he should be, how do you show immaturity on someone that old? He looks to be same age as Joffery in season 1...

Also Ingrid dies next... I'm calling it now...
RedbeardAG
AG
The whole using a gem from the hairnet theory has always seemed a little overly complex? Why not just carry the poison on yourself? The book never mentions them finding anything that looks like a jewel in the remnants of the wine, so it doesn't point extra fingers at Sansa..... just seems like an assassination plot should have as few moving parts as possible...
Fat Bib Fortuna
quote:
Also Ingrid dies next... I'm calling it now...

she'll be missed.

LawAg05
AG
Because getting caught with a vial of poison is much tougher to explain than a necklace or a piece of broken jewelry. Also, if the crystal doesn't completely dissolve then Sansa and Tyrion definitely take the fall once someone realizes it came from her necklace. This allows the actual perpatrators to walk about scott free.

Remember:
jenn96
AG
Don't forget, having Sansa take the fall was part of the plan. Once the killer is found, they'll stop looking for the others. If Sansa hasn't disappeared, she would have come under suspicion and the hairnet with a missing stone would have been found.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.