***Official Game of Thrones: Season 4 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

207,062 Views | 2149 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Twelfthman
LawAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Janos Slynt gets ahead of himself.
BTKAG97
AG
quote:

Isn't there some flame somewhere that burns brighter when more magic is in the realm? One of the maesters could have sent word to the bank...Someone with ears everywhere.

That, like all the other magic in the world, didn't light until after the dragons were born.
mid90
AG
There could easily be some prophecy foretelling the birth of Dany's dragons that we haven't heard about.
redline248
AG
There could just as easily be a different reason Jaqen is in the citadel.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
do you really think the tv writers are going to have NOTHING for the next TWO seasons?

Imagine telling these things to someone who only watches the show.

We get to see the Citadel.

This kind of illustrates my point. I'm not saying next season will suck, but the previous seasons had some "big moment" to cap off the season, after several episodes of talk and build-up. Ned Stark's execution, the Battle of Blackwater, the Red Wedding, Joffrey's death, the Viper vs. the Mountain, Tywin's death. These are the things that get people talking. The things that you see trending on Twitter and Facebook and hear around the water cooler.

I don't know a single person who hasn't read the books that knows what The Citadel is, much less cares that we might finally "get to see" it next year. That this is even listed in the top few highlights of next season is somewhat telling.

Next season will be toned down a bit. The stories will need to be a bit more intimate, and that's fine. Maybe that's what we need. Maybe we'll get some "new content" like the whole Bran capture thing or the "where are my dragons" crap from season 2. Because if episode 9 has nothing worth writing home about - no siege, no surprising death, no back-stabbing moment - it may not go over well with the show audience.

That's why I think they shouldn't blow their load with the entire Mance invasion this season. Nobody I know is saying "man I can't wait for whenever the wildlings attack" because it's been more of an afterthought this season. Maybe that's because Peter Dinklage has been so good. But they could do the Ygritte part in episode 9 and save all the Mance stuff (meeting with Jon, revealing he has the horn, etc. etc.) next season. Not saying they will, but I wish they would.
aggie93
AG
No doubt next season is a huge writing challenge. Something to remember is Book 5 will have to be included both because Book 4 is easily the shortest book but it also ignores multiple characters that we are already seeing won't be left out (See the Theon storyline).

Next season will also be the most spread out the entire series. Multiple new storylines are introduced and few of the main characters are in the same place.

You have:

Dorne introduced with Arianne, Doran, Sand Snakes?, etc.

Iron Islands with Yara/Asha, Victarion introduced, Damphair introcuced, and Euron introduced.

Arya in Braavos.

Jon at the Wall partly with Stannis/Mel.

Sam on his travels.

Theon chilling out with Ramsay.

Dany in Mereen.

Jorah wondering until he runs in to Tyrion.

Tyrion travelling and running in to Young Griff.

Cersei in KL wreaking havoc. Jaime eventually leaving.

Brienne and Pod wondering around.

Sansa hanging out with LF in the Eyrie.

Bran hanging out with 3 Eyed Crow.

Lady Stoneheart doing what she does.

Davos in White Harbor with the Manderlays.

They are going to have to consolidate and also expand some storylines. It's going to be a real challenge to decide which things to change so that the story still makes sense, people stay engaged with decent pacing, and the end plot isn't destroyed in the process.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
next season will likely go beyond the books in some storylines, imo. We may even get Jon's death
Malachi Constant
AG
Chances book 6 will be published before season 5 is filmed?

They could probably get some content from that.
aggie93
AG
Speculating on when Martin will publish is an exercise in frustration. That is unless you are betting on him never publishing and then you can only be happy if/when he does.
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:

I have a hard time thinking that there is some mystic object in the citadel beyond the message candles.

We have gone through 5 books, dozens of prophesies ethics and customs, plenty of religions and explanations of magics, it just seems really late in the game to spring out some object or new prophesy that will change the political dynamics.

If I were really concerned with what's behind the locked door, the only thing we have to draw from is that prologue and what luwin tells bran.
redline248
AG
On the other hand, after 5 books with all that is going on, is it really that important what a guy in the books for like 5 chapters is up to?
redline248
AG
After asking that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever Jaqen is up to ends up being something that puts him at odds with Arya and she has to kill him.

Another thought, I think this story ends up being about the eventual reuniting of the Starks. Ned told Arya that the pack is stronger than the lone wolf, and this whole time they are a bunch of lone wolves.
mid90
AG
quote:

Agreed. I was just saying that Dany's dragons not yet being born does not exclude Jaqen looking for a way to kill dragons in KL.
aggie93
AG
Martin has spoken about how he is following the same ideals as Tolkien and LOTR in terms of they all come together in the beginning to form the Fellowship of the Ring, they separate and get into lots of different adventures, and then they all come back together at the end. I'm sure it will be a LOT more complicated than that but I do expect most if not all of the Starks and maybe others to come together in the end.
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
On the other hand, after 5 books with all that is going on, is it really that important what a guy in the books for like 5 chapters is up to?

There is clearly something going on at the citadel, that is why master aemon wanted to get back, it's why Martin is steering the plot there with sam, and of course a faceless man who is an agent of a power player is all significant.
BTKAG97
AG
quote:
Because if episode 9 has nothing worth writing home about

You don't think what happens to Jon is episode 9 worthy?
rhutton125
AG
I wrote that in regards to next season. Jon won't die (or whatever) next season - not if it takes two full seasons to go through AFFC and ADWD.
AggieSouth06
quote:
I wrote that in regards to next season. Jon won't die (or whatever) next season - not if it takes two full seasons to go through AFFC and ADWD.

It won't. No way. Season 6 will be Winds of Winter, whether the book is out or not.
The Dog Lord
AG
http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/23/characters-confirmed-game-thrones-season-5-new-details/

This info is just from a "source" but still. It basically says that Spain has been announced as a new filming location (has to be Dorne), so multiple characters from Dorne will be included. It also mentions some other characters including the High Sparrow, Septa Unella, Lollys (Bronn stays?!), M**** the Frog (one episode), and the Waif. No news on the Greyjoys.
Al Bula
AG
Where the f ck in Patchface?

aggie93
AG
M**** the Frog! One of my biggest disappointments has been the lack of prophecies in the show.
Joe Cole
snow scene was the hottest Sansa has looked entire series.

Curious to see who gets the blame for Lysa fall

Marsh
AG
quote:
JJ: Can you share anything about the season finale?

ST: Oh yes! I can tell you that the end of the season, I mean, we have really great ends to every season. This season, there’s been peaks the whole way through, but the one at the end is spectacular. And it’s one of those, like the last three seasons you get chills at the end, but this one is actually really good because it takes the storyline to a whole new level of a particular storyline. And you’re like “WOW.” Then you can’t wait for the next season.

JJ: Is it a dramatic turn, a comedic turn…?

ST: It’s a hopeful turn. It’s dramatic but it’s like, for once Game of Thrones isn’t so depressing. (laughs)

Lady Stoneheart confirmed?

http://www.justjared.com/2014/05/22/sophie-turner-takes-the-jj-spotlight-series-throne/
Marsh
AG
Also...

MW03
AG
Damn son!
Baskin
AG
It's going to be awesome if the last 10 minutes of the season are a Brienne scene and everyone's like "wtf is this," then BOOM zombie mom.
mid90
AG
I can't wait to read the nonspoiler thread when that happens
Greeze06
AG
Isn't Numerical the one who finds Stoneheart? I thought Brienne didnt run into her until adwd?

[This message has been edited by Greeze06 (edited 5/31/2014 8:45p).]
BigN--00
AG

quote:
Oh boy, she knows exactly what she's doing...

--Cool Hand Luke
Fat Bib Fortuna
I love their description that Doran Martell is "in a wheelchair"
Texas Tide
AG
The woman who plays Catelyn also sent out a photo on Instagram of rocks arranged as a heart and titled it "my stone heart".

Yeah...LS is happening this season.
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
Isn't Numerical the one who finds Stoneheart? I thought Brienne didnt run into her until adwd?

One of the freys is the first to see her. Epilogue of SoS
mid90
AG
she was originally found by Arya's wolf Nymeria, who dragged her out of the river

then Beric Dondarrion and the Brothers Without Banners came across her body, Beric breathed/kissed his life into her and she became Lady Stoneheart

the first time we come across her in the books is through the perspective of one of the Freys, whose brother (cousin?) has been taken hostage by a band of outlaws; he is on his way to pay the ransom for him. Stoneheart is behind it all and hangs him next to his brother.
AggieSouth06
quote:
The woman who plays Catelyn also sent out a photo on Instagram of rocks arranged as a heart and titled it "my stone heart".

Yeah...LS is happening this season.

It was the actress that plays Cersei, actually.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
interesting that we see info on the Waif being cast, but not the Kindly Man...unless i missed something

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.