***Official Game of Thrones: Season 4 Thread (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

207,067 Views | 2149 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Twelfthman
Tree Hugger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Benjen's life and Coldhands are pretty big mysteries that are important to the central plot (white walkers)

I was under the impression that Benjen and Coldhands are one in the same.
hunter2012
AG
Fixed it for you dog

Also didnt Leaf say that coldhands died a long time ago?

And several more characters confirmed on the Petyr Baelish Facebook page:

quote:
If you feared this would not happen, don't be any more. We will see a gentleman with very cold hands, a lady with a heart of stone, and a man with a thousand eyes and one.

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 2/13/2014 10:10a).]
redline248
AG
quote:
I was under the impression that Benjen and Coldhands are one in the same.

Popular theory, but not proven to be the case. We have no idea who Coldhands is.
hunter2012
AG
look at the quote

quote:

They killed him long ago. - Leaf

I think he's significant, but I don't think it's Benjen
Al Bula
AG
quote:
a man with a thousand eyes and one
"How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and one."
AggieSouth06
quote:
...or if Rhaegar and Lyanna were actually married and he is a legitimate son of Rhaegar.

Would Targaryens recognize a son from mixed bloodlines in their line of succession? Not that it matters... The throne now belongs to the Baratheon line, so anyone outside of that line would be a new usurper, even if it's from a line that had previously laid claim for many generations. Userping the Userper.

In other words, whoever wins, wins.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Would Targaryens recognize a son from mixed bloodlines in their line of succession?

Well Rhaegar had already married Elia of Dorne because there was no female Targaryen at the time and reportedly they couldn't find anyone else of noble-enough birth with Valyrian blood. Elia was a princess of Dorne at least though, whereas Lyanna was just a lord's daughter. I would assume that Jon would probably be Targaryen enough for those who would choose to userp the Baratheon/Lannister claim though.
BillOnCapitolHill
Except that not all 7 Kingdoms were fans of the Usurper. The Martells and Tyrells fought besides the Targaryens.

The only reason the Tyrells are questionable to current Targaryens is their alliance with the Lannisters ("Baratheons"). But Margery hasnt sealed the deal with Tommen.
AggieSouth06
Damn, you guys are making me want to go back and do a re-read. I planned to do one anyway, and time it with the release of TWOW, but that may be released sometime after the heat death of the known universe.
The Dog Lord
AG
quote:
Damn, you guys are making me want to go back and do a re-read. I planned to do one anyway, and time it with the release of TWOW, but that may be released sometime after the heat death of the known universe.

Also considering a re-read even though I just read all 5 for the first time last spring. Now that I have read all 5 (and after reading all of the theories and spending some time on wiki type sites), I want to go back and see if I catch some of the smaller details that meant nothing to me at the time because I had no knowledge of these people and their family lines.
redline248
AG
I just reread the Tyrion chapter covering the trial by combat. That still pisses me off. Oberyn, we barely knew you.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Third trailer came out last night with True Detective!

http://youtu.be/xIASaUUwklk

I think the things in this trailer that got me most excited were at 0:55 when they show a great shot of Braavos and the Titan of Braavos and at 1:06 when they show all three dragons together. Drogon looks to be growing a LOT faster than the others, so just wondering how far they're going to get with Dany this season.

[This message has been edited by Inspector Spacetime (edited 3/10/2014 12:51p).]
Inspector Spacetime
AG
dp

[This message has been edited by Inspector Spacetime (edited 3/10/2014 11:30a).]
hunter2012
AG
Famous lines from little finger, I guess we know how far that storyline will go...
Inspector Spacetime
AG
So, prior to last season I hadn't yet finished all five books available, but now that I have it's great to be able to pick out things from these trailers that are an extra word or shot away from being major spoilers for non-readers.

The one thing that really bothers me though, is that they've shown at least a couple of shots of Cersei in all-black, looking sad as ****, and I can't help but think that there are some reasonably smart people out there who have figured out why and are being spoiled for the royal wedding's climax. Anyone else feel like it's a little bit too much to show or am I being crazy?
aCosmicBandito
AG
I'm excited that it looks like they've replaced Ser Ilyn Payne with Bronn as Jaime's sparring partner when learning to fight left handed. Bet those are gonna be great scenes watching Bronn kicking ass and taunting the Kingslayer.

[This message has been edited by acosmicbandito (edited 3/10/2014 1:16p).]
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
quote:
I'm excited that it looks like they've replaced Ser Ilyn Payne with Bronn as Jaime's sparring partner when learning to fight left handed. Bet those are gonna be great scenes watching Bronn kicking ass and taunting the Kingslayer.

Love that. Illyn Payne has had virtually no role in the series so this is a great way to keep Jeremy Flynn on the show and relevant.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I like that plot switch too. The actor they cast as Ilyn Payne was pretty disappointing, no menace whatsoever.

And keeping Bronn around is always good. I like his casting the best of anyone, although it really disparages the reasons that Jamie picked Payne as his sparring partner (he couldn't tell anyone Jamie sucked).

I liked the quick flash of Cersei walking with Oberyn Martell. In the books, Oberyn tells Tyrion that Cersei tries to seduce him in return for Tyrion's guilt.
redline248
AG
Has Osmund Kettleblack (or whatever) been introduced in the show yet? Cersei has to have someone else to screw now, doesn't she?

btw, I just for the first time thought about that last name, kettle black. Who is the pot?

aggie93
AG
Anyone go by the GOT exhibition at SXSW? I just went by at lunch and it was pretty cool. Got to sit on the Iron Throne. They had a ton of artifacts from dragon models to the swords (Ice, Needle, even a White Walker sword) to costumes to dragon eggs. They also had a virtual reality thing where you would simulate going up the elevator on the Wall (didn't have time to wait in the line though).

Got me very pumped for the season!
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
quote:
Has Osmund Kettleblack (or whatever) been introduced in the show yet? Cersei has to have someone else to screw now, doesn't she?

dont think they have and i dont think they will. he doesnt have much of a role going forward, even in the novels. probably just cast some extra, and allude to Cersei ****ing members of the kingsguard/queensguard.
Fat Bib Fortuna
They'll probably have her boning Boros or Merwyn, just to save on space and number of names for the TV viewers to remember.

As for

quote:
Cersei has to have someone else to screw now, doesn't she?

[This message has been edited by MuckRaker96 (edited 3/11/2014 2:41p).]
BillOnCapitolHill
Is Tamu gonna get an event for the premiere again this year?
hunter2012
AG
Names and speculation on the first 4 episode names.

Season 4, Episode 1: “Two Swords.”-obviously the breakdown of Ice, think we see the wilding attack on the wall at this point?

Season 4, Episode 2: “The Lion and the Rose"-Purple Wedding, which means that little b@$tard has only 2 more episodes to live!

Season 4, Episode 3: “Breaker of Chains.” - Dany conquers Mereen and dismisses Mormont?

Season 4, Episode 4: “Oathkeeper.”- Brienne goes on her quest and we meet Lady Stoneheart?

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 3/18/2014 11:32a).]
MeatDr
AG
Lots of behind the scenes footage for this season below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/game-of-thrones-behind-the-scenes_n_5045191.html
redbaron788
AG
quote:
Names and speculation on the first 4 episode names.

Season 4, Episode 1: “Two Swords.”-obviously the breakdown of Ice, think we see the wilding attack on the wall at this point?

Season 4, Episode 2: “The Lion and the Rose"-Purple Wedding, which means that little b@$tard has only 2 more episodes to live!

Season 4, Episode 3: “Breaker of Chains.” - Dany conquers Mereen and dismisses Mormont?

Season 4, Episode 4: “Oathkeeper.”- Brienne goes on her quest and we meet Lady Stoneheart?

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 3/18/2014 11:32a).]

Ep1 : do you mean the attack at castle Black or the big one? Either way probably too soon. Jon has been out of the loop on everything the last two seasons

Ep2 : yes, this is the one GRRM wrote so definitely PW

Ep3 : mereen yes, mormont maybe

Ep4 : don't think brienne leaves just yet, no idea about LS
hunter2012
AG
Attack on castle black, I think they'll build up to the main attack.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Everything on that list looks plausible except for the Lady Stoneheart part. I think a reveal like that-- unless they plan to make her a character and fill in a bunch of scenes like Theon-- is so much of a mind-**** that it almost has to be at the end of the season. Like, last frames of the last scene of the last episode. If they don't use that moment to finish out Tywin and Tyrion's big scene (if that's not in episode 9), I could see them bringing her out.

PS- pretty sure they've already shown a clip from that scene in Tywin's bedchamber. They show Shae reacting to someone arriving while laying in a pretty fancy bed at night. She's not nude like the books, but still I feel like that's got to be it.
hunter2012
AG
I also wonder if they are going to change the Greyjoy/iron born plot line entirely since Balon isn't dead yet, that would change a lot of the story though.

I agree however that the tyrion/Tywin scene should be at the end of the season, I think we'll see how far the first few episodes advance the story.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
In the "Directing Season 4" featurette in the link to behind-the-scenes youtube videos, Neil Marshall (who directed the battle at Blackwater) says they brought him back in to do another big battle. In that video, all the season's directors' episodes are listed under their name, and his shows that he's directing ONLY episode 9 this season.

So, it would seem that the wildling attack on the wall would be in that episode. Maybe it's just been too long since I read the book, but I felt like it'd be earlier in the season than that, with maybe the end of Tyrion's trial and murder of Tywin being "that" episode 9 of the season.

Thoughts?
redline248
AG
Bump
MW03
AG
Excellent episode.
The Debt
The smile on my face when I saw The necklace from Dontess.
MW03
AG
My nerdy face when Joff read about Ser Duncan
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
I was hoping they'd work in the great "is there gold in the village?" scene where Arya kills the tickler, that was a great homage to it

Also EXTREMELY pleased with the red viper so far, great intro

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.