***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

268,821 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie_3
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
That's a pretty raging fire.
DallasAg 94
AggieDPT
AG
That's definitely a metaphor for the offseason
Super Aggie 64
AG
Will there still be free Lexus Valet?
Mr Gigem
AG
CDowsk09 said:

Will there still be free Lexus Valet?

There will be a Lexus lot
DeangeloVickers
AG
Well at least we have a picture anytime were losing
Grapesoda2525
I'm so glad we decided to use payroll to bring back Jeffrey Springs. I was worried there for a minute we wouldn't be able to find another 5 ERA raging dumpster fire to take his place. But all is better now. If we can just ink Jeff Mathis to a 10 year $10 Million extension now, we'll be all set.
Grapesoda2525
Moreno is still at least TRYING to run with the big dogs. Rendon might turn out just like Matthews, Hamilton, and all of his other hilarious failures. But at least he hasn't given up.

Our penny-pinching crooks got burned one time by signing a big bad contract in Choo, and then promised themselves no one would ever steal their gold again.

You have to have at least 1 or 2 elite level players to win a pennant. Period. And we have zero, and our owners have no interest in acquiring one unless he is gifted to us on a silver platter with a contract way under market value.

We have the worst ownership group in the AL west.
Rossko
AG

Schall 02
AG
I wouldnt call Choo a bad signing. Not his fault the roster wasnt balanced around him. He has done just what he was signed to do.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Rossko said:

One thing that will totally make me forget about the lack of FA signings... is going out and trading for Kluber and his $17.5M salary, and 7GS, 35.2 IP, and 5.80 ERA.

And not in a good way. It would appear JD is trying to boost salary just for the sake of keeping fans from revolting.

Goes back to my comment about how you spend.
Do you make all of your opinions based solely on stat lines without context? Just curious because Kluber is a Cy Young caliber pitcher who dealt with injury last year.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Choo's issue was being a friggin roller coaster, especially in those earlier years when there was more around him. Between injuries and slumps, he spent 2 of his first 3 years here as extremely unreliable. And that is when the team was a playoff contender, more complete,
and those are the years you need from these big deals. You hope the years at the end the deal aren't a disaster for you, but you're really paying for the first 3-4 years.
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers
AG
I only buy Kluber if I have empty wallet and I'm not depending on him

An awful option for Rangers...he could come back and be cy young...but that percentage has to be very low
LosAngelesAg
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well lets see what we had to give up.
LosAngelesAg
AG
this totally depends on the cost
LosAngelesAg
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled Tommy John'd masses
Baby Billy
AG
Would assume one, if not multiple, of Palumbo, Allard, Burke
Mr Gigem
AG
Ed Gelton said:

Would assume one, if not multiple, of Palumbo, Allard, Burke

I would guess Palumbo and Burke. I like Allard a lot. Not sure I'd deal him
Rossko
AG
Kluber is a salary dump trade so hopefully not too much. He will likely slot in as the Ace or #2 behind Minor. This a big trade for the Rangers!
Baby Billy
AG
Two of:

Palumbo
Allard
Burke
Hearne
Clase

Hopefully just 1, plus Yohander Mendez
LosAngelesAg
AG
Rossko said:

Kluber is a salary dump trade so hopefully not too much. He will likely slot in as the Ace or #2 behind Minor. This a big trade for the Rangers!
eh, i would be hesitant of someone who is in their mid 30s, just dealt with a major injury, and pitched like dirt before he got hurt

he cant come into this year with the lack of control that he had in the 35 innings he pitched last year. some stuff is encouraging as he is still missing as many bats and was able to hold steady with his velo as he did in his good 2018. but he still has taken a step back from where he was in 2017 and i just dont like pitchers in their mid 30s whose command is starting to go.

but we will see. some underlying numbers suggest that his performance last year might be a mirage and he can still be the 2018 type of guy, but i need to see it first
Schall 02
AG
Kluber is a risk, but far from a salary dump. He's a relatively cheap price given the marketplace. Cheap salary that is.

But more interesting to me is that he's from Coppell. The Rangers are really localizing with their acquisitions; maybe they realize that DFW doesnt attract sports talent that isn't from DFW.
LosAngelesAg
AG
AggieDPT
AG
Sent Delino and Emmanuel Clase
LosAngelesAg
AG
clase is an interesting prospect but cant be too upset over this so far
gigem1223
Clase stings a little but we have an abundance right handed bullpen options. If we got kluber with just DD and Clase I'm thrilled.
Baby Billy
AG
That's a great trade
DallasAg 94
Leander - Ag
AG
Indians fleeced

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.