***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

234,800 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Gotta repeat it again, but this is the highest level of the game. The best player should play. If you want to baby players and give them special treatment that is what little league is for.

I'm sure odor will get a shot again, but he doesn't deserve anything but a short leash.
How do you know... who is going to perform on a daily basis? I mean, EVERY player slumps and hits hot streaks. How do you know... when a player is entering a slump or ready to get hot?

That is the question every manager/GM asks. And if they knew the answer, they would always bench players when they are slumping.

You would have Odor NEVER hitting again, in lieu of anyone else.

Solak has FIVE... 5 Career MLB games at 2B... at the age of 24 1/2.

The BEST players play... and you are not going to convince me that both Tampa and Texas denied him the ability to play, if he were the best option.
Forsythe and Santana badly outplayed odor in the first half of the season last year. No adjustment was made.
Grapesoda2525
Rendon wants a 7 year deal.

I hope the rangers are ready to pony up. They should be able to outbid Philly who might be the biggest competition. Philly already has Bryce Harper, Wheeler, and several other expensive guys on the books.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They've been saying he'll take five for a higher AAV.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
I think he'll get 6 for 36/year
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AccidentProne said:

I think he'll get 6 for 36/year
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
My understanding of Rendon is that he has no interest in playing past about 36 or 37. That would lineup with that and other reports that he's willing to go shorter for a higher AAV.
DallasAg 94
Aggie_3
All I know is I'm ready to hear we signed him!
Mr Gigem
AG
Strasburg to the Nats.

Rendon to the Rangers up next
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
MLB Trade Rumors still has us in the hunt for Cole. I can't fathom that being anywhere close to true. Especially not after that contract. His price just went way up.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

MLB Trade Rumors still has us in the hunt for Cole. I can't fathom that being anywhere close to true. Especially not after that contract. His price just went way up.

Everything I've seen lately is that Cole is pretty much down to Yankess/Dodgers/Angels.

But supposedly the Dodgers are also in on Rendon. Not sure why they are hot on Rendon when they have Justin Turner already at 3B for less money. Maybe they want to move Turner to 1B?

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't get that one either. I guess they just have enough money to not care.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Ranger #007 said:

Everything I've seen lately is that Cole is pretty much down to Yankess/Dodgers/Angels.

But supposedly the Dodgers are also in on Rendon. Not sure why they are hot on Rendon when they have Justin Turner already at 3B for less money. Maybe they want to move Turner to 1B?

Should root for the dodgers to get Cole. It would put him in the national league and reduce the dodgers chances of getting Rendon.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

Ranger #007 said:

Should root for the dodgers to get Cole. It would put him in the national league and reduce the dodgers chances of getting Rendon.

That'd be good, though I'll be happy if he ends up anywhere that's not the AL West.
DeangeloVickers
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
That is casting the bullpen net pretty dang wide
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sure, it's Japan. But that 0.9 whip, 1.6 era, and 77 K's vs 14 BB's in 60 innings he put up last year looks pretty nice
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Cardinals and DBacks both supposedly showing interest in Mazara according to MLB Trade Rumors.
Baby Billy
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Cardinals and DBacks both supposedly showing interest in Mazara according to MLB Trade Rumors.

Do it. Mazara's ceiling is .270 / 25 HR. Can't run, cant play first base, terrible in the outfield.
tam2002
AG
Ed Gelton said:

Ranger #007 said:

Do it. Mazara's ceiling is .270 / 25 HR. Can't run, cant play first base, terrible in the outfield.
Agree 100 percent...Lets get something for him while we can. We have enough leftys and like you said he cant run or play a lick of defense
Mr Gigem
AG
I'd be interested in Corbin Martin from the DBacks
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Interesting you Bryant up, was going to post an update on him myself. Basically his value is TBD (see below). He is an option for teams needing third base help that don't sign Rendon or Donaldson, as is Andujar from the Yankees. But his asking price could go down depending upon the arbitrators ruling.

Quote:

Neither Bryant nor Lindor is expected to be traded soon. As Ken Rosenthal reported Monday on MLB Network, the market for Bryant hinges on two factors: Teams in the third-base market are likely to wait until after Rendon and Josh Donaldson sign free-agent contracts before making their best offers to the Cubs for Bryant, and the lack of resolution on Bryant's service-time grievance has created uncertainty in his value.

An arbitrator is expected to rule in the next two weeks on whether Bryant should be credited for a full year of service in 2015. If Bryant is successful, he would become a free agent after the upcoming season, instead of following the 2021 season, as is the current course. Because two seasons of a former MVP would be much more valuable than one, it's nearly impossible to consummate a trade until the question is resolved.
https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-ask-about-kris-bryant-trade-sources

DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Interesting you Bryant up, was going to post an update on him myself. Basically his value is TBD (see below). He is an option for teams needing third base help that don't sign Rendon or Donaldson, as is Andujar from the Yankees. But his asking price could go down depending upon the arbitrators ruling.

Quote:

Neither Bryant nor Lindor is expected to be traded soon. As Ken Rosenthal reported Monday on MLB Network, the market for Bryant hinges on two factors: Teams in the third-base market are likely to wait until after Rendon and Josh Donaldson sign free-agent contracts before making their best offers to the Cubs for Bryant, and the lack of resolution on Bryant's service-time grievance has created uncertainty in his value.

An arbitrator is expected to rule in the next two weeks on whether Bryant should be credited for a full year of service in 2015. If Bryant is successful, he would become a free agent after the upcoming season, instead of following the 2021 season, as is the current course. Because two seasons of a former MVP would be much more valuable than one, it's nearly impossible to consummate a trade until the question is resolved.
https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-ask-about-kris-bryant-trade-sources

I saw the Cubs are waiting on a ruling, on that which could affect 1 or 2 years of team control. I meant to reference that, but most believe the 2 years of control will prevail.
I agree it will affect his trade value, and should indicate the Cubs will have to trade him regardless.

I've mentioned Andujar, as well... any of the 4 (Rendon, Donaldson, Bryant, Andujar) would make me happy.

If the Rangers increase payroll $35M from where it is and have the choice of Rendon or Bryant+Rizzo, I think it is a no brainer. A JD move would take Bryant+Rizzo, but I wouldn't discount the idea of him going after Rendon as a 1st option.
Rendon is obviously the move for several other reasons besides the obvious.

I'm sure the ranger fan base and the front office are SICK of people saying that we can't attract big free agents. Up to this point, it has been true for the most part. We are much more likely to be the runner up then the actual choice.

In addition, now is as good of a time as any. Making a big splash would really help things because the team has been run in a very low key and uncompetitive way for the last few years. People want to see a big move because of the new stadium as well.

DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
MLBTR is saying trade talks have included Mazara, Calhoun, and Choo. They better get something decent in return if they move Calhoun.

They're also saying we're talking to Chirinos again.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
At DH or an outfield spot. He showed fairly well last year and is young. If they give him up over Mazara I think they need to get something solid in return and not just be offloading a left hander to make room. I'd like to think they could trade Choo, but I just don't see that happening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.