***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,263 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Not a good comparison or a fair one. The vast majority of mlb catchers can't hit. You know that.

If you want to be fair, compare condors hitting to a mid grade mlb first baseman's.
It was the comparison you made:

Quote:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I have never seen condor hit with any consistency whatsoever at the major league level. I have more confidence in trevinos bat than condors and that's saying something,

I meant to say relative to their positions.

KT 90
AG

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

So much for changing directions and going after the big guys.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
South Platte
KT 90 said:

EV is better suited for coach pitch little league. He's done.
Proposition Joe
"Working on a deal" with EV doesn't mean he is in the starting rotation. This has little to no impact on what big free agents we may or may not go after.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I'd imagine that is some sort of training camp/minor league deal
Quincey P. Morris
AG
When I saw that mentioned it was as a minor league deal. So far there's no reason to think that's going to be anything other than what it sounds like.
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Ryu for $32M/2 years? He obviously has plenty of prior injury issues... but the price is good given how he pitched last year. But you never know if he can duplicate that.

DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Amazing we've come to the point where $16 MM a year for a decent, middle of the rotation starting pitcher is considered a bargain. The economics of baseball make no sense to me. Owning a baseball team is not for the faint of heart.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Ryu for $32M/2 years? He obviously has plenty of prior injury issues... but the price is good given how he pitched last year. But you never know if he can duplicate that.

If you get Ryu for 2yr/ $32M, I say jump all over it. Even if Choo wants a 1 yr extension so they can be bunk mates.
DFW corners the market on aligning foreign players . . . maybe Ryu and Choo will play like Luka and KP.
KT 90
AG
First time I've seen Bryant mentioned with the Rangers, but it would make sense (at least a temp 3B fix) and give the Cubs some salary relief and the Rangers are looking to spend more. And he and Gallo know each other from kid baseball back in Nevada.

Not sure what it would take to get him, but it would be discounted somewhat for the salary dump. Mazara and who else???

https://www.mlb.com/news/famous-mlb-players-who-could-get-traded

Quote:

1. Kris Bryant, 3B, Cubs
If the Cubs are going to do it, now is the time. After missing the playoffs with baseball's second-highest payroll in 2019, president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said this will be an offseason of "real change." The Cubs would also like to avoid the penalties of a second straight year of exceeding the luxury-tax threshold. With Bryant two seasons from free agency, he could help replenish a depleted Minor League system.
Possible landing spots: Rangers, Dodgers, Braves, Phillies, Nationals
Squirrel Master
AG
Difficult to imagine the Rangers doing that, but it would be costly and the price would be minor league prospects, not Mazara plus.
KT 90
AG
Squirrel Master said:

Difficult to imagine the Rangers doing that, but it would be costly and the price would be minor league prospects, not Mazara plus.

I was assuming Mazara plus prospects. He is still cheap and someone they might be interested in. Except they already have a slow and clunky outfielder in Schwarber.

Squirrel Master
AG
If the Cubs are interested in parting with Bryant, who is still under reasonable $ club control for two more seasons, they aren't going to be interested in a lesser player with similar control. I assume Mazara would be highly unappealing to them in any deal involving shipping off Bryant. I also struggle to imagine them actually trading Bryant to begin with.
KT 90
AG
Sure, it's probably a long shot but they are looking to unload salary and he is due to make $18.5M in 2020 with another arb year in 2021 before becoming a free agent for the 2022 season. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/kris-bryant-14057/

So we have a need at 3B and some money to play with, so it's possible. Guess it mostly depends on how bad the Cubs really want to unload some salary. They are stuck with Heyword's contract much like the Rangers have been stuck with Choo's.

DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Still only 36 officially listed on the 40 man roster.
wbt5845
AG
One must be CF Leody Traveras. Then almost certainly 3B Sherton Apostel.

After those, two of:

RHP DeMarcus Evan's
RHP Joe Barton
RHP Tyler Phillip's
INF Anderson Tejada
INF Eli White
KT 90
AG
Evans has to be on the 40, can't lose him imo then it gets dicey. And IF they want to sign someone else's Rule 5 guy, we would need a spot for that person as well.

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

SO... Solak is NOT the Rangers' answer at 3B? What about 2B?

Cubs are projected at like $187M right now for 2020, without any moves. If they move Bryant, IMO, it is a salary dump of another player. Tie Heyward (4yr @ $21.5M/yr avg), KImbrel (2yr $16M + option on 3rd yr), or Lester ($20M in 2020, opt for 2021) to Bryant.

Any word on the 3-4 guys the Rangers put on the 40 before the Rule V deadline, today?

The Bryant stuff is still a long shot, but he would fit nicely for two years at 3B so that we don't have to rush Jung to the bigs to eventually take over at 3B.

KT 90
AG
Found this on MLB.com https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/top-prospects-eligible-for-rule-5-draft

Has the Rule 5 eligible's for each teams top 30 minor league players. They don't have Evans or Barlow in the top 30.

Texas Rangers (5)
5) Leody Taveras, OF
10) Sherten Apostel, 3B/1B
11) Anderson Tejeda, SS
16) Tyler Phillips, RHP
30) Eli White, SS/OF
No-brainers to protect: Taveras, Apostel, Tejeda, Phillips
Could be intriguing to other clubs: White
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG

wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

So Tejada is a goner, I suppose.
cmiller00
AG
wbt5845 said:

KT 90 said:

Scott Lucas on Tejeda:

Quote:

IF Anderson Tejeda Maybe the toughest decision. Tejeda missed most of the 2019 season, is a project at the plate and afield, and will probably begin 2020 in high-A. He'd be swamped in the Majors. The potential, though, is a starting shortstop with power, someone you'd really rather not dangle in front of your competition.
KT 90
AG
cmiller00 said:

wbt5845 said:

KT 90 said:

Scott Lucas on Tejeda:

Quote:

IF Anderson Tejeda Maybe the toughest decision. Tejeda missed most of the 2019 season, is a project at the plate and afield, and will probably begin 2020 in high-A. He'd be swamped in the Majors. The potential, though, is a starting shortstop with power, someone you'd really rather not dangle in front of your competition.

I read that the other day in the email. Kind of hard to stash a high A player on your roster for the whole season, but 2020 is the year that the rosters expand to 26 so it's possible.

KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG
Adrian Sampson joining Lotte Giants

Quote:

MLB Rumors: Adrian Sampson is leaving the Texas Rangers to join the Lotte Giants of the KBO, according to multiple reports. Sampson, a righthanded pitcher, spent part of 2018 and all of 2019 in the majors with the Rangers.

Sampson was a likely candidate to be dropped from the 40 man roster this offseason, and by going overseas he has an opportunity to make more money for 2020 than he would in the United States as a minor league swingman type. The Rangers will receive a fee from Chiba Lotte and then waive Sampson.

Sampson did quality work as a starter the first couple of months of the season for Texas, but saw his performance decline as the year went on, and ended the year with a 5.89 ERA and 5.69 FIP in 125.1 IP.

Once Sampson is removed from the 40 man roster, Texas will be at 39, but there will likely need to be several more moves needed to open up space for free agents or trade acquisitions.

AggieDPT
AG
Making room for Cole

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.