***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,080 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Note to self...not buying upper deck left field tix
Proposition Joe
The issue I have with concerts at the ballpark is that they are the worst possible venue to see a concert.

I'd rather sit in JerryWorld for a concert than the ballpark. There's maybe 100 good seats in the stadium for a concert, the rest you are paying just to watch it on the jumbotron.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
Ballparks in general. Most venues youve got your front floor seats and at least 2 sections on both sides of the stage with good sightlines.

With the stage at a ballpark being in the outfield so far away from the seats, the only decent seats in the whole place are first few rows of the floor.
PatAg
AG
Do we start making nicknames for it, or should we wait until it's had some games first?

Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Ballparks in general. Most venues youve got your front floor seats and at least 2 sections on both sides of the stage with good sightlines.

With the stage at a ballpark being in the outfield so far away from the seats, the only decent seats in the whole place are first few rows of the floor.

GLF is built more like an arena so you'll feel closer to the stage for concerts
Proposition Joe
AccidentProne said:

Proposition Joe said:

Unless they change the dimensions of the ballpark, you're still going to have your homeplate seats 400 feet away from the guy on stage, and your closest actual seating (down the lines) roughly 200+ feet away with a weird viewing angle. If it's like Billy Joel you have an enormous elevated stage that the artist is 10 or so feet back on.

Concerts sightlines in ballparks are terrible. For some artists it's a necessary evil, but even then that's because LiveNation has started running out of A+ acts that can sell out enormous venues so they're just combining a couple of B- artists. Chris Stapleton could play AAC just fine. Same with Guns N Roses (if they hadn't just hit Arlington for a reunion tour in the last few years then a 30k+ venue would be prudent).

A lot of the acts the are sticking in ballparks don't actually need ballparks, but you can sell a lot more tickets at a lower price point. Normally I'm not against that as if it's cheaper it's better for the fan, but having been to a couple of concerts at Rangers Ballpark... it's a fun experience and the acoustics really aren't that bad, but sightline wise there's like 20 good seats in the house.
Rossko
AG
Proposition Joe said:

AccidentProne said:

Proposition Joe said:

Unless they change the dimensions of the ballpark, you're still going to have your homeplate seats 400 feet away from the guy on stage, and your closest actual seating (down the lines) roughly 200+ feet away with a weird viewing angle. If it's like Billy Joel you have an enormous elevated stage that the artist is 10 or so feet back on.

Concerts sightlines in ballparks are terrible. For some artists it's a necessary evil, but even then that's because LiveNation has started running out of A+ acts that can sell out enormous venues so they're just combining a couple of B- artists. Chris Stapleton could play AAC just fine. Same with Guns N Roses (if they hadn't just hit Arlington for a reunion tour in the last few years then a 30k+ venue would be prudent).

A lot of the acts the are sticking in ballparks don't actually need ballparks, but you can sell a lot more tickets at a lower price point. Normally I'm not against that as if it's cheaper it's better for the fan, but having been to a couple of concerts at Rangers Ballpark... it's a fun experience and the acoustics really aren't that bad, but sightline wise there's like 20 good seats in the house.
Don't forget this place was built with concerts in mind as multi-use...
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Last mock up I saw had the stage for concerts just beyond the dirt behind second base.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
The mound can be lowered
Proposition Joe
AccidentProne said:

Last mock up I saw had the stage for concerts just beyond the dirt behind second base.

For small post-game shows maybe. For major concerts it will be like it was at the old park (and other parks) so they can squeeze as many PIT/Field sales in as they can.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

AccidentProne said:

For small post-game shows maybe. For major concerts it will be like it was at the old park (and other parks) so they can squeeze as many PIT/Field sales in as they can.

At RBiA, they basically rope off the IF, so you have this huge open area between the PIT/Field... and the stadium seats. Moving the stage to 2nd Base (or so), you have the same field configuration. You just lose some of the side seats. It will remain to be seen, if seating capacity is reduced. The overall experience will be better, IMO.

It will be the same as it was at the old ballpark. It's the same configuration every ballpark in the country uses, and it's the same configuration the 3-4 shows already announced at the new ballpark have.

These are major livenation tours -- the stage setups are all going to be pretty standard.
Mr Gigem
AG
On the field now. The "grass blades" of the turf are about 2-2.5 inches long

They will fill it with sand first, and then the crushed coconut
sburg2007
DallasAg 94 said:

sburg2007 said:

That makes sense. As an avid bobblehead collector, missing two from last decade plus of ranger baseball, I'm torn on the theme nights for those. On one hand it's nice that average Joe doesn't have to worry about getting there two hours early to beat the eBay crowd, but I also hate having to buy an extra ticket when I can usually swing some from work.
I have some bobbleheads I may be willing to part with... LOL.
I am only missing the rangers captain from 2018 and "last out" Nefty and Molina from last year. Unless I didn't pick up on sarcasm...
DallasAg 94
GrapevineAg
AG
Have they published ground rules for when the roof will be open? I hope it's open more often than the roof next door at JerryWorld. The artists' renderings of GLF with the roof open look decent, but with the roof closed, it looks like a hangar/warehouse.
Grapesoda2525
GrapevineAg said:

Have they published ground rules for when the roof will be open? I hope it's open more often than the roof next door at JerryWorld. The artists' renderings of GLF with the roof open look decent, but with the roof closed, it looks like a hangar/warehouse.
I hope it's closed 150 games a year.

I heard that their is supposedly a rule that they can't constantly switch it back and forth. I agree with the rule, some teams ( Astros) would try to game the system by closing it if a pitcher sucks in domes or opening it if he can't handle the heat.
DallasAg 94
GrapevineAg
AG
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of!
twilly
AG
Just saying this now, but for any future throwback nights at the new park, no need to open the roof for that truly authentic Arlington baseball memory. We can let that one go now.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
DallasAg 94
GrapevineAg
AG
I suppose I'll need to get a new hat commemorating the opening of GLF. I have one for tBiA (and the "Lone Star Series"):

I missed out on one of these - I actually like it better:

DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

GrapevineAg said:

I hope it's closed 150 games a year.

I heard that their is supposedly a rule that they can't constantly switch it back and forth. I agree with the rule, some teams ( Astros) would try to game the system by closing it if a pitcher sucks in domes or opening it if he can't handle the heat.
The Astros would open and close the roof based on the count.

wbt5845
AG
And it's started at spring training:

https://twitter.com/baseball****/status/1229818202277863424?s=19
Mr Gigem
AG
Roof will close when outside temp is 84 degrees

Stadium will have a heater
wbt5845
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_rules

Quote:

Movement of retractable roofs

These ground rules only apply at ballparks featuring retractable roofs.

Universal
  • The decision as to whether a game begins with the roof open or closed rests solely with the home club.
  • If the game begins with the roof open:
    • It shall be closed only in the event of impending rain or other adverse weather conditions. The decision to close the roof shall be made by the home club, after consultation with the Umpire Crew Chief.
    • The Umpire Crew Chief shall notify the visiting club, which may challenge the closing of the roof if it feels that a competitive imbalance will arise. In such an event, the Umpire Crew Chief shall make a final decision based on the merits of the challenge.

Ballpark-specific

All ballpark-specific retractable roof ground rules concern opening of the roof after a game has started.
If the game starts with the roof closed:

• Chase Field, Miller Park, Minute Maid Park, & Safeco Field permit its opening during the game if weather conditions warrant, as long as the following procedure is followed:
    • The roof may be opened only once during the game.
    • The Umpire Crew Chief will be notified at the beginning of the inning that the roof will be opened at the inning's end.
    • The Umpire Crew Chief shall notify the visiting club, which may challenge the opening of the roof. In such an event, the Umpire Crew Chief shall make a final decision based on the merits of the challenge.
    • The opening of the roof shall only begin between innings.
  • Chase Field requires that the roof is opened in two sets of 2-minute-and-15-second intervals, at the conclusion of one inning and the conclusion of the following inning.

If the game starts with the roof open and it is closed during the game:

KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

And it's started at spring training:

https://twitter.com/baseball****/status/1229818202277863424?s=19

Link gives me this:
Sorry, that page doesn't exist!

What was it?
GrapevineAg
AG
Cool, I have one too I had one from another year, but it was a flat-bill so I gave it to a friend's kid.
GrapevineAg
AG
AccidentProne said:

Roof will close when outside temp is 84 degrees

Stadium will have a heater
Good info, thanks! Hopefully they'll still be playing in October & November when the heater is needed.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Heres a retweet with a username TA doesn filter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.