***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,369 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get frustrated seeing the players crow that they've already agreed to a 50% pay cut. 50% of the season wasn't played. You're pay wasn't cut 50% - you did 50% of the work.
Schall 02
AG
All sides are showing their true colors (green). Not sure how I can justify them getting so much of my money moving forward.
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00
AG
I blame all sides in this. I don't give a flying rat's butt what their arguments are. They need to play baseball.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Mr Gigem
AG
I just want baseball to start up again so all my season ticket holders would stop threatening to file lawsuits
wbt5845
AG
AccidentProne said:

I just want baseball to start up again so all my season ticket holders would stop threatening to file lawsuits
haha I hadn't even considered that yet. Of course, I'm a small fish. If I was one of those guys who dropped $20k and more, I'd probably sing a different tune.
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

AccidentProne said:

haha I hadn't even considered that yet. Of course, I'm a small fish. If I was one of those guys who dropped $20k and more, I'd probably sing a different tune.

I have it coming from all types
Proposition Joe
Hate for you to have to go through that AP, but yeah -- the Rangers have really done their season ticket holders a disservice. One of maybe 3 teams that still haven't refunded March/April/May.
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Hate for you to have to go through that AP, but yeah -- the Rangers have really done their season ticket holders a disservice. One of maybe 3 teams that still haven't refunded March/April/May.
Oh we are offering that, for sure. You just have to ask about it. The catch is if you do want the refund for those months, you will not get opening day if/when the season restarts

I can't really get into it on here, but there are specific issues much higher up than me that, if handled more effectively in the beginning, could have help avoid most of the situation that we are currently in. As in, we wouldn't have STHs threatening to file lawsuits because they wouldn't have the ground to stand on that a lot have recently found they indeed have.
Trucker 96
I look forward to years of continued penny pinching with payroll while they play in the new taxpayer funded stadium in the 5th largest market (and 2nd largest with only 1 team). They have their excuse now
Chipotlemonger
AG
I am a Rangers fan, but the last couple of years have been embarrassing.
Mr Gigem
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-owners-reject-mlbpas-114-game-proposal-for-2020-season-per-report/

MLB owners reject MLBPA's 114-game proposal for 2020 season, per report
By R.J. Anderson Jun 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm ET 1 min read
On Sunday, the Players Association submitted a proposal to Major League Baseball for a 2020 season that would include, among other aspects, a 114-game regular season and expanded playoffs. It took the league a few days to respond, but on Wednesday owners rejected the union's proposal and said they would not send a counteroffer, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.
The owners are said to want a shorter regular season, perhaps as short as 50 or 60 games, with an emphasis on getting to the postseason quickly. The hope is to have the postseason completed before a possible second wave of the novel coronavirus can sweep the country, thus ensuring the league pockets all of the money from playoff television deals. (The union, as part of its proposal, included the potential for mass deferrals if the postseason was canceled due to a renewed spread of COVID-19.)
It should be noted that refusing to make a counteroffer is a well-known negotiating tactic, one commonly employed in baseball circles by agent Scott Boras, and that the league's stance does not necessarily mean the 2020 season is endangered. Still, this was eyed as a pivotal week if the two sides wanted to begin play sometime in early July, and so far there's been limited momentum toward a deal.
Earlier this week, ESPN's Jeff Passan reported that Commissioner Rob Manfred would be willing to force a shortened season with prorated salaries if the two sides could not strike an agreement. That season would be about half as long as the players' desired length.
MLB had originally intended to launch its season on March 26.Two weeks prior, the league was forced to hit pause, alongside every other in-season professional sports league, due to the spread of COVID-19.
Mr Gigem
AG
Sorry for the formatting. Posted from my phone
AgBQ-00
wbt5845
AG
So I guess the path forward here is the Commissioner is going to force a short season. And since this had to all be decided in the first week of June, that means an announcement is imminent?

So home and away with 9 other teams (AL & NL West) = 9 X 6 = 54. I guess 4 games series with some select rivals gets you to 60. Sound about right?
TDub
AG
If there's no season I say we riot at Manfred's office
TV Casualty
AG
AccidentProne said:

Proposition Joe said:

Oh we are offering that, for sure. You just have to ask about it. The catch is if you do want the refund for those months, you will not get opening day if/when the season restarts

I can't really get into it on here, but there are specific issues much higher up than me that, if handled more effectively in the beginning, could have help avoid most of the situation that we are currently in. As in, we wouldn't have STHs threatening to file lawsuits because they wouldn't have the ground to stand on that a lot have recently found they indeed have.

The Dallas Stars just reached out to me yesterday about rolling over to next season or getting a refund. Their initial communication had no mention of an incentive to roll into next season.

I guess it hasn't been only the Rangers who are dragging their feet on this.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm confident that once the negotiations between the players and the owners comes to a conclusion, we will have an update to our policy, and I'm confident we will have some type of relief option that includes getting a refund. It's just a matter of waiting until these negotiations end.

We made a business decision pretty early on that we weren't going to start offering full refunds immediately on the chance there would still be a partial season. What I see as the most likely scenario is once a new, shortened is announced, we will start our 2021 renewal efforts. STHs will have the option to use 20% of the credit of the unplayed games as their down payment, and then the rest would be refunded. We won't just rollover all the money towards 2021, unless the STH tells their rep to do so.

It sounds like we are also trying to get some beefed up benefits approved, too.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
AccidentProne said:

It sounds like we are also trying to get some beefed up benefits approved, too.

Trucker 96
Sorry you end up on the frontline for this AP.

The players proposal of a 114 game season AND an expanded playoffs made no friggin sense. What a waste of time.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
AccidentProne said:

Proposition Joe said:

Season ticket holders shouldn't have to reach out to the team during a pandemic to find out how to recoup their money.

Nearly every other team sent out information on it -- many with 5-15% bonus credit if you kept money with the team.

Rangers haven't said a word to season ticket holders, and nothing on their website about it. It's all been delay tactics in order to hold the money as long as possible and get to a later date where customer is more likely to roll money over.

If it was only about Opening Day, there's no reason March/April/May games that weren't O.D. couldn't have been refunded already. Instead of communicating, the Rangers have purposely been silent while holding onto money.
Trucker 96
It makes no sense if you actually own a calendar. So they basically play until mid to late November and then have an expanded playoff?
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

It makes no sense if you actually own a calendar. So they basically play until mid to late November and then have an expanded playoff?

THere is no way they play playoffs that late in the year, unless they want to do it at neutral sites that are either indoors or warm weather. Can you image playing in New York or Boston in late November/early December?

PatAg
AG
Trucker 96
KT 90 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

THere is no way they play playoffs that late in the year, unless they want to do it at neutral sites that are either indoors or warm weather. Can you image playing in New York or Boston in late November/early December?

Right. That's my point. That was basically a rhetorical question.
Rossko
AG
For those of you saying how greedy the players have been throughout this, give this a watch. It's on the longer side, about 30 min, but is extremely insightful and shows how big the gap is of perception vs reality in regards to players pay vs owners income.

AgBQ-00
AG
Don't care. Play baseball. There are millions without work or hope of work returning. There are 10's of thousands that have lost their jobs and have a long time to wait for the rebuild after these riots. Now is not the time for a public labor dispute. Get out there and be the face of the recovery. Help the nation get back to some type of normalcy.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This labor dispute is EXTREMELY short sighted. Getting back in June/July would've given baseball and the MLB 2 entire months with nothing else to compete with in sports domestically. Could've been a huge way to increase the interest in baseball going forward, thus raising everyone's earning potential.

It's a back seat move by a back seat league.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Ive NEVER watched Bundesliga games...it's on and Im watching and enjoying....Im now a fan

THAT's what MLB had to gain.....people who normally wouldnt watch WILL watch, but now they've waited so long who care if they come back. Bug Selig thinks this has been handled poorly

Little girls in Iowa and Houston are playing softball
I watched college kids play last night

People who actually care and want to play
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I generally like Bauer but I've read what he's written on this and seen some short videos and his logic through a lot of it has been painful. They really need to figure out they're not going to win the PR war, but they may well damage the sport enough that their big fat contracts don't happen anymore due to loss of revenue.
Trucker 96
Yeah, as far as PR wars go, the owners have the easier sell to the public -> if we don't play X games, you don't get paid for them + if we play Y in front of an empty stadium, then we can't pay full fare for those. Right, wrong, indifferent, that's the easy explanation in a PR battle

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.