***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,809 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My inexpert analysis with 0 inside info of the tweet I just linked is that both the Angels and Yankees are starved for pitching. With the reality that Strasburg is likely to go back to the nationals, it would presumably take the nationals out of the Rendon race. At the same time, the angels and Yankees would be fighting hard for Cole because he's the last big fish pitcher left.

I'm not entirely sure what the Rendon market looks like yet, but it may come down to the Dodgers and rangers. I still remember the dodgers beating us out for Zach greinke. That one really hurt. Hopefully we don't lose to them again.

I also don't think the angels have the money to get both Cole and Rendon because they already have alberts mega deal and trouts super deal on the books.

Things could be breaking just right in the Rendon race for the rangers, but with the winter meetings coming up, nobody knows for sure.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/winter-meetings-preview-texas-rangers-priorities/

Interesting write up about the winter meetings.

The last few years were very quiet for the rangers. It just feels different this year. The owners can't be allowed to sit on their hands and play it safe after the tax payers of Arlington just helped them get a new stadium. A talent infusion should be expected and hopefully will happen.

Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

cmiller00 said:

I like it more and more as additional details come out. Originally looked like the one in Houston but I don't think that is the case and seems the details have been really well thought out. Loved the Ballpark but AC will be nice!

Edited to add it'll be hard to replace a park where I've watched World Series and playoff wins until I get to see those in the new park.
At the end of the day, fans... and super fans (like by TexAgs brethren) will rely of memories to grow and love the new RBiA. Win a Pennant and we'll love whatever the product in whatever the stadium they play. If they flounder, criticism will grow.

I like JD and haven't disagreed with too many things he has done. I may be the ONLY person left willing to publicly support his signing of Odor. I don't agree with how he does some things, but by and large he has done what no other Rangers GM has.

I can guarantee that the air conditioning will win over most Ranger fans very quickly.

Day games just weren't an option for most people because of the heat.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Signing Rendon would blow me away. The question is (as it has been often), does JD decide he is willing to overspend? Usually it has been no (and I don't necessarily disagree)... the limit on payroll has had him cautious and unwilling to stick to his short and long-term plans. Some seasons he has been very rigid.

If the Rangers over pay for Rendon... and someone is going to... then I will start to buy into an organization change that says we don't have a hard limit... more of a soft limit.

If you sign Gibson for $10M, when you can't get Wheeler for $20M... If you have to go above your $X Million limit for Rendon and pay an additional $Y Million, then take from one bucket for the other.

Bad contracts will happen.
Rendon is a surefire stud who would fill a MASSIVE hole at 3rd base. That position was an unmitigated disaster all of last season. Signing him would feel much different than the Choo deal 7 years ago and the odor extension.

Rendon could be a cornerstone for this franchise. He would help us with all of our weaknesses. We need more right handed hitting? Check. We need more guys who are real hitters and don't swing for the fences every AB? Check. Good batting average and on base percentage ? Check. Good power numbers at a corner infield position? Check.

We are severely lacking in all of those areas.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
MLB Trade Rumors has an article up that Rendon is now the Phillies top priority.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers
AG
C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak Rendon*
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Kyle Gipson
Sampson
Burke
Baby Billy
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak Rendon*
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Kyle Gipson
Sampson
Burke

A lot has to go right even with this to be wildcard contenders
Grapesoda2525
Ed Gelton said:

DeangeloVickers said:

C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak Rendon*
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Kyle Gipson
Sampson
Burke

Can only fix so much in one offseason and we need a lot of damn fixes.
Mr Gigem
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Ed Gelton said:

DeangeloVickers said:

C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak Rendon*
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Kyle Gibson
Kolby Allard
Burke

Can only fix so much in one offseason and we need a lot of damn fixes.

Adrian Sampson also plays in the KBO now, so that spot is for Kolby Allard now. I would also expect us to trade for another SP
Grapesoda2525
https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/jon-daniels-discusses-rangers-free-agent-options

They have been talking a big game. I don't think it's all talk either. I'm thinking they will try very hard to get a good 3rd baseman and another starter.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Rangers have agreed to a 2 yr/$16M deal with pitcher Jordan Lyles. Should be a good 2/3 pitcher. Maybe even a bullpen arm.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I guess that will round out the staff of pretty good. Beef up the O with Rendon and it's a team (if healthy) that I think stands to put up a wild card fight. Not a staff that scares anyone in the playoffs, but maybe the ace comes via trade later ala Hamels.
Rossko
AG
Jordan Lyles was great for the Brewers last year once he arrived via trade from Pittsburgh. He started 11 games and Milwaukee was 10-1 in those games. Ironically the only loss was a 1-0 pitching duel that Minor and the Rangers won. If he can pitch anywhere close to that level (2.45 ERA) he would be a solid #3/4 to have in Arlington.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
I like the Lyles signing. It gives the team another low risk option to fill out the three rotation spots behind Lynn and Minor. By my count they need three of Gibson, Lyles, Jurado, Allard, Burke, Palumbo, Hearn, or Hernandez to pan out. I still have a sliver of hope that YoMen will put it all together as well. Should also be a pretty fun AAA rotation to keep an eye on.
DannyDuberstein
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I guess that will round out the staff of pretty good. Beef up the O with Rendon and it's a team (if healthy) that I think stands to put up a wild card fight. Not a staff that scares anyone in the playoffs, but maybe the ace comes via trade later ala Hamels.

I will eat my shoe, if Hamels comes back to the Rangers. Anytime a player openly speaks in public in opposition to the GM, it isn't a good thing.

JD spoke about using an "opener" and Hamels indicated he wanted no part of it.

Missed the point. I was saying they could get a top end guy via trade later, like they did in the past with Hamels. Or Lee. Hamels is ****ing old and not a top end guy anymore anyway. It was an example from the past.
gigem1223
DeangeloVickers said:

C Trevino/Mathis
1B Santana/Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Solak Rendon*
LF Calhoun
CF Gallo
RF Mazara

Minor
Lynn
Kyle Gipson
Sampson
Burke

2B - Solak*
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
I think Solak's future is in LF or at 1B. I'd prefer they use him against LHP with Odor's AB's if he struggles again.
AggieDPT
AG
Solak starting at AAA after how much better he was than Odor last year should be a war crime
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think he'll take a lot of Odor's PT. They are spending to win. The patience with Odor is largely over IMO
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

I think he'll take a lot of Odor's PT. They are spending to win. The patience with Odor is largely over IMO
I'd like to think you're right, but this team can be very stubborn. I still can't believe they sent Calhoun down to the minors last summer while they kept both odor and condor up. What a slap in the face that was.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Stubborn depends on the goal. He's a highly paid young guy that they were clearly and naturally motivated to try to give him a lot of leash to figure it out since the team wasn't going anywhere regardless. But that is changing now.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. They were going nowhere the past 2 years and knew it. They were trying to salvage $35 million which is completely logical. I really think the approach with him will be different now
KT 90
AG
Quote:

I believe the Rangers will field the best players in 2020

I certainly hope that is the case. I think the best approach would be to discuss with Odor prior to the start of Spring Training. We need more consistent hitting out of him, not the deep slumps and occasional hot streaks. Probably need to adjust the all-or-nothing approach at the plate and become more of a gap power hitter that sprays it around more rather than trying to pull everything.

And if we don't get more consistency then somebody else will be getting more of the playing time at 2B.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Quote:

I believe the Rangers will field the best players in 2020

And if we don't get more consistency then somebody else BETTER be getting more of the playing time at 2B.

Fixed the last part for ya.

Gotta repeat it again, but this is the highest level of the game. The best player should play. If you want to baby players and give them special treatment that is what little league is for.

I'm sure odor will get a shot again, but he doesn't deserve anything but a short leash.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.