***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,844 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At least acquired some starters this past off-season and he was slated to get more time at AAA:

dave94
AG
AccidentProne said:

Moving into the new offices today!

Just saw that on Facebook. How's the new place?
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
dave94 said:

AccidentProne said:

Moving into the new offices today!

Just saw that on Facebook. How's the new place?

It's great. Lots of new tech and much needed new furniture. Plus I got a window seat

Also the entire staff - sales, marketing, communications, partnerships, etc. are all on the same floor and in one big room, which I really like.
Grapesoda2525

Astros are taking away signs now. Totally pathetic.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Signs aren't allowed per ballpark rules so unless this has never been enforced before or they're not taking other signs away it seems pretty overblown.
Disco Stu
AG
What? He is 23 and was probably one of two most ready to contribute out of the pitchers slayed for AAA before the injury.
Trucker 96
Hate seeing a shoulder injury requiring surgery. Those things are tough to get right again.
Jimtim1216
S
https://instagr.am/p/B9CvTOwn7LP
Trucker 96
The aforementioned magic coconut dirt appears to be getting applied. Seems a bit excessively stripy, but whatever. Just hope it ends up natural green and not shiny
Mr Gigem
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

The aforementioned magic coconut dirt appears to be getting applied. Seems a bit excessively stripy, but whatever. Just hope it ends up natural green and not shiny
Was this excessively stripy too?

Trucker 96
I'm meaning more the contrast. DARK BRIGHT DARK BRIGHT
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pour one out. That pic with more of the field done reminds me of all the Rays broadcasts on TV that make for lame baseball. Lighting and shading of it and all.
Schall 02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Pour one out. That pic with more of the field done reminds me of all the Rays broadcasts on TV that make for lame baseball. Lighting and shading of it and all.

It looks very sterile.
wbt5845
AG
Looks AWESOME!

BTW - those who are hard core "gotta be natural grass" are gonna continually whine and gripe about the field no matter what. "Too may stripes" - "too shiny". How about we let a few games be played on it first?

But those people were not out there with me 25-30 games per season in that insane heat. For us - that field looks awesome.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Having a roof and AC doesn't require that you have turf. That was a choice, not a necessity.
sburg2007
AccidentProne said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Was this excessively stripy too?

Stripes in ryegrass =\= synthetic fake stripes.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm going to miss that ballpark, heat and all.
AgBQ-00
AG
I'm excited about the new park. Means my wife and I will be physically able to go to games after May. When we went to summer games day or night in the old park she had at least a week recovery from flare ups due to heat and sun.
PatAg
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I'm excited about the new park. Means my wife and I will be physically able to go to games after May. When we went to summer games day or night in the old park she had at least a week recovery from flare ups due to heat and sun.
Ultimately, thats what it comes down to when im thinking about how I feel about the new stadium
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Ultimately, thats what it comes down to when im thinking about how I feel about the new stadium
I don't get why people miss the old one.

I mean yeah...... it looked nice, but the weather ruined the fun most of the time. I've never been to a rangers home game in august or September because of the weather. I'm looking forward to going to games in August for the first time ever.
Mr Gigem
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

This is such a bad take right now. They don't even have all the lights on, the video boards aren't on, and there are no fans in the seats right now. How about we wait until games are being played to make this kind of argument
Baby Billy
AG
Can't wait to hang off the edge of that cliff in left field. Looks kinda funky
Rossko
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Do you know how grass works when mowed in different directions? I was 100% against turf but I haven't seen a picture yet that makes the new field look horrible. Let's wait until it's complete and we can see it live or on TV before complaining.
Rossko
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I don't get why people miss the old one.

I mean yeah...... it looked nice, but the weather ruined the fun most of the time. I've never been to a rangers home game in august or September because of the weather. I'm looking forward to going to games in August for the first time ever.
The old park is the reason we had season passes to Six Flags. The parking turned out to be a great help but one summer Sunday day game fans were moving up to the top of the upper deck to get in the shade and out of the sun. We eventually said **** it and left the game to cool down at Six Flags.
Proposition Joe
Ranger #007 said:

Having a roof and AC doesn't require that you have turf. That was a choice, not a necessity.

This.

In 2 months we may not care about the surface and think it's fine, but the choice wasn't "keep the old park and battle the heat" or "indoors and turf".

It was a business decision made to maximize revenue in non-game days, and if that ultimately gets funneled back into the team then that's great.

But if we continue to linger outside the Top 10 in payroll and the field looks sterile, all so we could have the financial windfall of Journey playing the ballpark in October instead of the Rangers, then yeah some people are going to be upset.

It sounds ridiculous to many but the field is kine of like your selection of commentators -- if you're winning then nobody gives a hoot... but if you're losing, things like the beauty of the field and the commentary can still keep you coming back to attend/watch.

May be much ado about nothing, but the way in which this dog and pony show was put on about how they were really trying to make a decision on the field surface when that decision was made in the accounting ledger before this thing even began construction is kind of going to leave some purists with a bad taste in their mouth.
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
100 percent planning on taking my mom to a game at the new ballpark because of the AC and roof. I'm not ready to write it off as a bad stadium. I do wish that they had done natural grass though. Turf isn't good.
Mr Gigem
AG
Rossko said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Do you know how grass works when mowed in different directions? I was 100% against turf but I haven't seen a picture yet that makes the new field look horrible. Let's wait until it's complete and we can see it live or on TV before complaining.
The lines are permanent. No amount of mowing with change the design.

With that said, it isn't completely filled in yet with all the organics. That, and how much they water it, could affect how bright or how dark it looks.
Mr Gigem
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

100 percent planning on taking my mom to a game at the new ballpark because of the AC and roof. I'm not ready to write it off as a bad stadium. I do wish that they had done natural grass though. Turf isn't good.
To be fair, we don't really know anything about this turf because it's never been used before.

Yes, Arizona has the same product. But we are making a few tweaks based on feedback on their field this season. We can also control, to a certain extent, how the ball plays by how much or how little the field is watered.

Also, this is not the turf your grandfather knows. It's not the roll of carpet with cement underneath.

This product SHOULD mimic natural grass very closely

Edit: I really encourage everyone to have an open mind about this new ballpark. Yes, there are a ton of things that are different. It's not the Temple that we are all used to. BUT...it is going to be a beautiful ballpark when it's all said and done. And once we start playing some baseball in there, it is going to be an amazing experience for all. GLF will provide the Rangers same game experience that fans have grown to love, but in a safer, more comfortable environment.
Mr Gigem
AG
Also, I heard an interview with JD that we are going to try and keep the roof open more often. The way we would do this is to keep it closed during the day and then open it right before the game starts. That way the seats and the concrete wouldn't have been baking in the heat all day, and that cool air from the AC will continue to circulate even with the roof open.

Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

Also, I heard an interview with JD that we are going to try and keep the roof open more often. The way we would do this is to keep it closed during the day and then open it right before the game starts. That way the seats and the concrete wouldn't have been baking in the heat all day, and that cool air from the AC will continue to circulate even with the roof open.

I hope they keep it tight shut June - Early September at least.

Don't even give the heat a chance to effect people or the players.
Rossko
AG
AccidentProne said:

Rossko said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

With that said, it isn't completely filled in yet with all the organics. That, and how much they water it, could affect how bright or how dark it looks.
I don't expect anyone to be mowing turf. My comment was geared towards the derisiveness of the contrasting stripes. When you mow real grass in different directions and use the weight behind the mower, you get contrasting stripes. I don't know why anyone is complaining about them.
GrapevineAg
AG
You know what would be cool? If the underside of the roof was all LEDs - they could project a partly cloudy sky up there and make it feel a bit like being outdoors, a la the Fremont Street Experience in Vegas. They could also do all kinds of other cool stuff like showing replays, fake fireworks, ads, etc.

I know, I know, just having some fun.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rossko said:

AccidentProne said:

Rossko said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I don't expect anyone to be mowing turf. My comment was geared towards the derisiveness of the contrasting stripes. When you mow real grass in different directions and use the weight behind the mower, you get contrasting stripes. I don't know why anyone is complaining about them.
You're being dense. Agree or not, care or not, the comment/point was how much contrast there was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.