***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

237,819 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha. Not aimed at anyone here. I actually enjoy the back and forth about odor because i have the same arguement with myself about him.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

As long as you post without being a deuch canoe you should be ok. At least on the Ranger thread. We enjoy discussion. But flame posting and general frickery is frowned upon.
While I was definitely in there trolling, the post Staff edited and banned me for was pretty harmless.

Someone had complained about the refs and I posted- "there were Stros fans in THIS THREAD talking about how good blue was before the lead changed"

After the ban hammer hit I went back 10 or so pages and sure enough "Pretty impressed with Blue in this game" with 17 Blue Stars lol
DannyDuberstein
AG
You pretty much can't go into the other team's thread as fan of the other. Anything seen as remotely critical will catch a ban. And I am perfectly fine with that. I have no interest in their thread. There is a huge gaggle of "put one in his earhole" mouthbreathing morons in theirs, and I have zero interest in seeing any of those morons post on this one. It's a good trade in my book. I'm more than happy to stay out of theirs anyway.
wbt5845
AG
Anyone interested in David Price or Chris Sale?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/10/30/red-sox-may-look-to-shed-payroll-and-sources-say-the-rangers-have-had-internal-discussions-about-the-possibilities/
AgBQ-00
AG
Sale yes. Price I think he is on the downhill slide pretty quickly
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Cubs happy or disappointed?

4yr/$81M.

So far they've gotten
8GS, 4.95, 1.425
31GS, 3.98, 1.097

At $20m/year I'd say they are still OK with it. May not necessarily trade for that kind of contract, but the aren't looking to shed it.
KT 90
AG
Article mentions Rangers as one of seven teams that could define the off-season. I don't think we take the plunge for Rendon, either Donaldson or Moustakus are more likely if we bring someone in for 3B. And I'm kinda meh on Keuchel. Wheeler might be interesting, but I would need to look into his stats and pricetag more closely.

Quote:

The Rangers would like to give themselves a housewarming gift as they move across the street to Globe Life Field. Anthony Rendon, a native of Houston, would be ideal, and so would third baseman Josh Donaldson. Texas could also make a run at right-hander Zack Wheeler, and lefty Dallas Keuchel could be a nice fit.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Article mentions Rangers as one of seven teams that could define the off-season. I don't think we take the plunge for Rendon, either Donaldson or Moustakus are more likely if we bring someone in for 3B. And I'm kinda meh on Keuchel. Wheeler might be interesting, but I would need to look into his stats and pricetag more closely.

Quote:

The Rangers would like to give themselves a housewarming gift as they move across the street to Globe Life Field. Anthony Rendon, a native of Houston, would be ideal, and so would third baseman Josh Donaldson. Texas could also make a run at right-hander Zack Wheeler, and lefty Dallas Keuchel could be a nice fit.

Don't think I'd go that far, but I am still expecting this offseason to be much different than the last few. Last few being exceedingly boring.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd like to think they're gonna drop some cash and get some of these guys but I'm still in "I'll believe it when I see it mode".
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

I'd like to think they're gonna drop some cash and get some of these guys but I'm still in "I'll believe it when I see it mode".
As long as they get some tier 2 guys, I won't *****. They better do much better than the last few offseasons tho. Drew smyly and Edison volquez types just aren't going to cut it.
DallasAg 94
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Anyone interested in David Price or Chris Sale?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/10/30/red-sox-may-look-to-shed-payroll-and-sources-say-the-rangers-have-had-internal-discussions-about-the-possibilities/
That article is why I haven't taken Grant serious in about a decade.

Sale (30): 6yr/$145M; $24M/yr. 147.1 IP, 4.40 ERA, 1.086
Price (33): 3yr/$96M; $32M/yr. 107.1 IP, 4.28 ERA, 1.314
Eovaldi (29): 3yr/$51M; $17M/yr. 67.2 IP, 5.99 ERA, 1.581

Choo: 1yr/$21M
Odor: 3yr/$37M; $12.3M/yr

Coming off terrible 2019 seasons... are you ready to commit that kind of money to guys like that?

You have 1 yr of Choo... do you trade that for 6 on Sale?

If you can trade Odor for SP, and have a viable replacement... ok. But Solak, Santana, et al... are not going to be everyday 2B'ers. I think Eovaldi is likely not going to be much better than a #4... or #5. IF you can even get him for a full season.

Can we develop our own starting pitching? If not, we should stop drafting pitchers and simply trade for them or sign them as free agents. Is it really that hard?
KT 90
AG
TR Sullivan's Q&A mentions Ryu as a Ranger possibility. Also noticed today that MLBTradeRumors is projecting Ryu to the Rangers, as well as Donaldson to the Rangers.

Ryu is more affordable that other FA pitching possibilities, but of course comes with a lot of injury history as well. Ryu does not qualify for a qualifying offer, so he wouldn't cost a draft pick.

If Ryu is healthy, he is a definite take. But he has a hard time staying healthy. Two separate sources are linking him a a Ranger possibility, so I'd assume the Rangers have some interest. Sullivan even noted that Ranger evaluators were high on him.

Quote:

It doesn't seem the Rangers will be at the top of Gerrit Cole's list this offseason. What big-name pitcher do you think the Rangers have a chance to pursue this winter. Do you think Hyun-Jin Ryu is a possibility?
-- Brian O., Tulsa, Okla.

MLB.com ranked left-hander Ryu as the No. 8 free agent this winter and fifth among starting pitchers. He will be 33 on Opening Day next season and is not overpowering. He relies on a four-pitch mix and his 1.2 walks per nine innings were the lowest in the National League. His 1.01 WHIP was the third lowest. However, red flags include that he has been in the injured list at least once each year for the past six seasons and his numbers are considerably better at pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium than on the road. But he is unlikely to command the knee-buckling offers possibly awaiting Cole, Madison Bumgarner and others and could be a good No. 3 behind Lance Lynn and Mike Minor if he holds up. The Rangers have talent evaluators who are high on him.

bigcat22
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Ranger #007 said:

As long as they get some tier 2 guys, I won't *****. They better do much better than the last few offseasons tho. Drew smyly and Edison volquez types just aren't going to cut it.

The tier 2/3 dice rolls seem to be JD's specialty the past few years. Minor, Lynn, Pence...
Chipotlemonger
AG
What are the biggest changes needed this offseason?
Grapesoda2525
Chipotlemonger said:

What are the biggest changes needed this offseason?
Black holes at first base, second base, 3rd base.

Lefty log jam in the out field

Outfield logjam in general

Need deeper pitching.

Need better pitching.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sounds just like the mid 2000's
Grapesoda2525
Chipotlemonger said:

Yup.....

Our infield including the catcher sucks pretty bad. Needs a massive talent upgrade there.
bigcat22
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I donno, the mid-2000s has Palmeiro/Teixeira at first, Soriano/Young/Kinsler at second and Blalock at third. All were all stars at some point during that stretch.

Now pitching on the other hand...
KT 90
AG
So Reid Ryan gets in essence a demotion so the owners son can have a spot, and Nolan says adios....

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

So Reid Ryan gets in essence a demotion so the owners son can have a spot, and Nolan says adios....

I've been saying for years that Reid Ryan only got that job because of his daddy.

I'd bet cranes son represents the Astros organization with more class and grace then Reid Ryan ever did. Nolan's kid is a spoiled little *****
TXAggie2011
AG
I mean, Jared Crane has worked for his dad nearly (or all of) his entire professional career, which hasn't been all that long or distinguished. He's not exactly blazed his own trail and it's not like he's ever wanted for anything.

Reid may or may be a spoiled ass, but he's also got some baseball-related skins on his wall. And had some before he took the Astros job (a year before Nolan joined the Astros org.)
bigcat22
AG
I Craine has been hanging around those damn snow monkeys.
South Platte
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

I've been saying for years that Reid Ryan only got that job because of his daddy.

I'd bet cranes son represents the Astros organization with more class and grace then Reid Ryan ever did. Nolan's kid is a spoiled little *****
Make no mistake, I welcome the concept of the Astros front office self-destructing, but I've heard good things about Reid from people who worked directly with him. I didn't like how he handled the Astros-Rangers series in 2017, but he never seemed like a bad dude.

Lots of people get jobs because of parental involvement . . .
94chem
What did Reid Ryan do after Harvey? My house was under water, so I was just glad to see a game and wasn't paying attention to side stuff.
Grapesoda2525
94chem said:

What did Reid Ryan do after Harvey? My house was under water, so I was just glad to see a game and wasn't paying attention to side stuff.
Reid Ryan offered the rangers a very unfair deal. I'm hoping his hall of fame dad didn't teach him how to negotiate because the guy is terrible at it.

For the sake of this story, the rangers and Astros had 6 games left in the season when the hurricane devastated Houston. The rangers and Astros each had 3 scheduled home games a piece.

Reid Ryan called the rangers organization after Harvey hit, and with absolutely no consideration for our fans who attend the games, Reid pretty much demanded that the Rangers "swap" series with the Astros. The Astros had 3 home games with the rangers scheduled for the very same weekend that the hurricane hit. Houston couldn't host the games because the city was unfortunately under water.

The rangers didn't agree to the "swap" because believe it or not some families actually plan way ahead to go to these games. They buy the tickets in advance, they book hotels, and come from out of town to attend. For some of these people, it is their only opportunity to see the rangers that season. A high caliber baseball executive should've taken that into consideration, but unfortunately the rangers had to deal with an incompetent trust fund baby who grew up wealthy and has little ability to understand or care for the needs of regular people.

The rangers offered to host the Astros home games at the ballpark in Arlington. The Astros would be the home team and the Astros would get all of the revenue from the games minus the concessions. Reid Ryan abruptly declined the offer and before you know it, both teams were on their way to play in Tampa bay for 3 games at a neutral site.

Reid Ryan leaked the negotiations to the media and used the sympathy that the nation had for the city of Houston because of the hurricane as leverage to make the rangers organization look bad. The rangers took a beating from both the media in Texas and the national media.

After the whole thing was over, they asked Reid Ryan why he didn't just play the games in Arlington and his reason? Ryan said that he didn't want to help the rangers organization earn the wildcard in any way shape or form by giving us 3 "extra" home games. Even though it was apparent that the Astros were going to win the AL west, this guy was still fixated on keeping us out of the playoffs.

94chem
Thanks for the summary. I see 2 things that might be mitigating. First, the Houston fixation of being anti-DFW on everything probably clouded his judgment. Second, the Astro's corporate culture has shown some significant flaws. From the childish stuff like the Take It Back game wear to the Osuna mess, they are flawed in the Optics department. There was no voice of reason to counter Ryan's petulance. Unlike Roger Clemens, where no one is surprised to see the apple falling close to the tree, Nolan's family will get the benefit of the doubt from me. Heck, he named his other kid after Jimmy Reese.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The Rangers were literally willing to do anything other than what Ryan asked. Anything. And what he asked was something that has never been done and there have been similar situations for other teams before. I don't have a problem with him asking but running to the press to make the Rangers look bad was ridiculous and a really s****y thing to do.
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

The Rangers were literally willing to do anything other than what Ryan asked. Anything. And what he asked was something that has never been done and there have been similar situations for other teams before. I don't have a problem with him asking but running to the press to make the Rangers look bad was ridiculous and a really s****y thing to do.
Correct.

I have no doubt in my mind that if this same scenario happened with any other team in MLB that we would've played the games at the globe, given that organization all of the money for the games, and our fans probably would've donated supplies to help out the victims of the hurricane. Most executives would be thinking about home, the team, and the welfare of the city they play for while Reid was unnecessarily trying to play hardball.

Reid very clearly offered us a very bad deal and he wanted us to take it. He wanted to be able to brag to his buddies in the Houston front office that he swindled the rangers or " got one over on those guys". The fact that he leveraged a natural disaster against us in the negotiation phase, started a battle in the media, and then used it against us again in the media shows what a piece of garbage the guy really is.

This is the main reason I've rooted against the Astros ever since. They have burned some bridges.
BMX Bandit
Reid Ryan only got the job because of his dad.

But by all accounts, he was still good at the job

Grapesoda2525
BMX Bandit said:

Reid Ryan only got the job because of his dad.

But by all accounts, he was still good at the job

By all accounts, the Astros are regarded as a very smart and well run organization in mlb. Reid Ryan had lots of help around him, it's not like they threw him into the deep end and he flourished.
Proposition Joe
Their organization seems to completely revolve around analytics and advantage at all costs and either don't care about the optics or are oblivious to them.

It's why they accepted being historically bad by fielding a Major-League-Movie caliber team for multiple years just to amass money and draft picks. Damn the optics of not even trying to compete.

It's why multiple other organizations have accused them of stealing signs and signalling. (I personally don't have a problem with it but when more than one team has complained it's obviously not well received in baseball).

It's why multiple other organizations have accused them of ball doctoring.

It's why they go after a guy like Osuna.

It's why the can deny and write hit pieces defending members of their front office when multiple media members confirm some volatile/toxic actions.

It's why their fanbase can't wrap their heads around why the media seems to be rooting for the Nationals when things like the above hit-piece happen (or Gurriel mocking Asians in the Astros last World Series appearance).

And it's why Reid Ryan used the hurricane and leaks to the press as leverage to try and give his team a scheduling advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably be OK with all of that if it got a WS banner... But I certainly wouldn't be oblivious to it.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Their organization seems to completely revolve around analytics and advantage at all costs and either don't care about the optics or are oblivious to them.

It's why they accepted being historically bad by fielding a Major-League-Movie caliber team for multiple years just to amass money and draft picks. Damn the optics of not even trying to compete.

It's why multiple other organizations have accused them of stealing signs and signalling. (I personally don't have a problem with it but when more than one team has complained it's obviously not well received in baseball).

It's why the can deny and write hit pieces defending members of their front office when multiple media members confirm some volatile/toxic actions.

It's why their fanbase can't wrap their heads around why the media seems to be rooting for the Nationals when things like the above hit-piece happen (or Gurriel mocking Asians in the Astros last World Series appearance).

And it's why Reid Ryan used the hurricane and leaks to the press as leverage to try and give his team a scheduling advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably be OK with all of that if it got a WS banner... But I certainly wouldn't be oblivious to it.
Knowing the Astros fixation with us.....

They probably acquired Osuna because his stats against the rangers are unbelievably good,

As a member of the jays, he pitched 25 innings against us with tons of strikeouts and his ERA was very close to 0.00

I would look the stats up, but it would just make me depressed. All you need to know is that guy is ranger bats kryptonite.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

The media and most people around the country were pulling for the nationals because of the nationals playoff history. It truly is a remarkable story.

From 2012 to 2017, the farthest the nationals could get is the division series and they lost every single time they got there.

This year, they went through the wild card round, division, championship, and the World Series. They had just enough to get by the hated Astros. Every game in Houston was fun to watch.

People were also rooting for the nationals because they're the oldest team in Major League Baseball. This was a lot of guys last chance. At least Half of that roster most likely won't be back to the World Series.

The 2019 Nationals remind me of the 2011 Mavericks in a way. Both scrappy under dog teams with lots of talented vets who were going up against a super team and knew this might be their lost shot at glory. I'm glad both teams were able to cash in.
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.