***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,881 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And now this. Good lord. I guess IKF will do for the next couple of season.

Quote:

Rangers "Likely Out" On Josh Donaldson
December 12th, 2019 at 11:03am CST By Jeff Todd
The Rangers are believed to be exiting the hunt for Josh Donaldson, according to Levi Weaver of The Athletic (via Twitter). Indication is that the club isn't willing to keep pace with the bidding.

It seems there's ongoing action in the third base market even as the Winter Meetings draw to a close. Anthony Rendon signed last night, spurning the Rangers and other pursuers to go to the Angels. Now, the club's top alternative seems destined to move along.

Donaldson, who just turned 34, has drawn many of the same suitors as did Rendon, along with a few additional interested teams. He has long been expected to receive a big annual salary over at least three guaranteed seasons, with the major question being whether or not he can secure a fourth.
cmiller00
AG
I wouldn't give him 4 years.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Honestly wouldn't be too upset if we missed out on Donaldson. Do not want to have to bring myself to root for that guy.

I said basically the same yesterday but the incompetence of this organization is maddening. But hey, we have a fancy new stadium (so we can attract top notch free agents) and new uniforms for the same results (or worse) as last season.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I don't mind IKF at third. He is a good player and we have 4 years of control (I think). However, this 2020 will be a carbon copy of 2019 at this rate.

I don't necessarily want Donaldson but I want to do something that shows we are moving to the future. Maybe we do wait for our 3B prospects to mature. I'm ok with that as long as they come out and say it. Don't tell the fans your going to make a splash this off season and then give us Gibson, Lyles, and a Walker.

BTW, a link I saw earlier says the Rangers passed on the Rule V which I think is a good thing. We've been saddled with too many spares in the Rule V the past few years.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't mind being out on Donaldson either, but this is why it was stupid to back away from Rendon. 29 years old, deal that will go to 35, and a guy that you know will produce at a high level and provide a quality veteran leader with skins in your clubhouse.

Bargain basement hunting while milking the taxpayers for $500 million is bull***** I've tried to be patient with this ownership and JD, but this is just garbage. Could have told you on November 1 that was going to be market for Rendon. To play like they were in the hunt when they weren't going to sniff that deal is shady. People will come out in 2020 to see the stadium they helped pay for, but watch out in 2021
South Platte
DannyDuberstein said:

I don't mind being out on Donaldson either, but this is why it was stupid to back away from Rendon. 29 years old, deal that will go to 35, and a guy that you know will produce at a high level and provide a quality veteran leader with skins in your clubhouse.

Bargain basement hunting while milking the taxpayers for $500 million is bull***** I've tried to be patient with this ownership and JD, but this is just garbage. Could have told you on November 1 that was going to be market for Rendon. To play like they were in the hunt when they weren't going to sniff that deal is shady. People will come out in 2020 to see the stadium they helped pay for, but watch out in 2021
I can't believe anybody would think this franchise would actually sign Rendon. I was worried until I got the text from a friend.

I think the Prince Fielder Vince Wilfork debacle broke JD. I couldn't believe how stupid that trade was when it went down and he's struggled since. Up through then he'd been pretty solid with his moves. Dempster was a desperation move, Fielder tripled that, and now we suck.

We were better when we made moves to acquire young talent, developed the talent, and then added guys to fill specific needs that arose (Napoli, Mike Adams, Colby). I know, easier said that done. But IMO that's a GM's top responsibility - - not opening the pocketbook to chase stars.
Schall 02
AG
Fear not. Next comes smoke we're trying to trade for Nolan Arrenado, but he vetoes a deal in the end.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm still here. Been a long day already
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would have been shocked by a big move the past 2 years. But new stadium, team starting to show signs of coming together, etc,, I could buy a flashback to the original Beltre signing.
South Platte
DannyDuberstein said:

I would have been shocked by a big move the past 2 years. But new stadium, team starting to show signs of coming together, etc,, I could buy a flashback to the original Beltre signing.
Now I admit, when we signed Beltre, all I could think of was how much of a joke he had been in Seattle.

But if we could sign 2 more Mike Minors/Lance Lynns for combined $25M per year, wouldn't that be a better option? I'm shocked at how cheap those guys are.

Get more competitive, then add a big dog if we need to.

AccidentProne:

Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

And now this. Good lord. I guess IKF will do for the next couple of season.

Quote:

Rangers "Likely Out" On Josh Donaldson
December 12th, 2019 at 11:03am CST By Jeff Todd
The Rangers are believed to be exiting the hunt for Josh Donaldson, according to Levi Weaver of The Athletic (via Twitter). Indication is that the club isn't willing to keep pace with the bidding.

It seems there's ongoing action in the third base market even as the Winter Meetings draw to a close. Anthony Rendon signed last night, spurning the Rangers and other pursuers to go to the Angels. Now, the club's top alternative seems destined to move along.

Donaldson, who just turned 34, has drawn many of the same suitors as did Rendon, along with a few additional interested teams. He has long been expected to receive a big annual salary over at least three guaranteed seasons, with the major question being whether or not he can secure a fourth.

At some point, it has to be comical instead of frustrating right?
_lefraud_
AG
Does JD want the Rangers to be a franchise with a big payroll, or does he want to be the Rays/A's? He (or ownership) can't seem to figure out (or care) what the franchise is exactly.
DallasAg 94
AggieDPT
AG
He would kill it anywhere. I've been to a few Rockies games the last few years, and he's legit. Best fielding 3B in the league
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
So, so far our only significant move as been to dump an established, proven 24 year old MLB player that hit in the middle of our lineup (Mazara) for a prospect.

I think it was a mistake not to pony up and get Rendon. Disappointing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gibson and Lyles were solid moves, but they are the kind of move that really needs a Rendon deal to compliment as an overall upgrade. A reasonably balanced staff rounded out top to bottom with a serious quality bat, then you're onto something.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
At this point, I wouldn't mind getting Castellanos. He's a right-handed bat playing OF. Still can't believe we gave up Mazara for basically nothing. Even if he has hit his ceiling, he's cheap for the next two years.

I don't know why but I've been depressed all day. I had so much hope for the future. Now, I'm just not sure.
94chem
WestTexasAg said:

So, so far our only significant move as been to dump an established, proven 24 year old MLB player that hit in the middle of our lineup (Mazara) for a prospect.

I think it was a mistake not to pony up and get Rendon. Disappointing.

How will you feel when Mazara goes 37 and 116?
DeangeloVickers
AG
The Mazara trade just pisses me off more....if you need to salary dump for big signing. Okay

But no signing and that deal is complete ****
94chem
_lefraud_ said:

Does JD want the Rangers to be a franchise with a big payroll, or does he want to be the Rays/A's? He (or ownership) can't seem to figure out (or care) what the franchise is exactly.

Taxpayers built the stadium. Management should not be allowed to go Uncle Drayton on them.
Aggie_3
AccidentProne said:

I'm still here. Been a long day already

A lot of season ticket holders cancelling?
DannyDuberstein
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

The Mazara trade just pisses me off more....if you need to salary dump for big signing. Okay

But no signing and that deal is complete ****

Yep. They sure as **** got it backwards.
Grapesoda2525
I really don't know what to think. Both the cowboys and rangers have huge huge problems.

Rangers - I'd like to pin the blame on JD, but I think the owners are the problem. They are cheap as hell. I'm really starting to hate Simpson and Davis as much as I hated that loser sip Tom Hicks.

Cowboys - I still think the cowboys could be fixed if they had a good coach. We have lost at least 4 or 5 games this year because of bad coaching. The big question is will Jerry hire a real coach?

Both franchises are a complete mess right now.

DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
History suggests that Rendon won't perform to the expectations of the contract. Rendon is a good player, not a great one.There is just too much evidence of players being allowed to hit free agency and then production dropping off after they hit their 30's. The elite players are locked up way before they get close to the open market. I think you'll see the same thing with Gerrit Cole. I'm totally fine with JD staying out of that mess. I know he's a lefty, but I wouldn't mind if they took a shot on Travis Shaw for the right price.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83
AG
That Leclerc quote is no different than this one regarding Walker, lol.

Quote:

The Rangers acquired outfield prospect Steele Walker from Chicago in exchange for Mazara. One day into his tenure with the Rangers organization, Walker has garnered almost as many calls from interested teams as Mazara generated, according to general manager Jon Daniels (via Levi Weaver of The Athletic). However, Daniels added the Rangers do not intend to flip the 23-year-old Walker elsewhere.

Hey guys...come look at how much other teams want the guy we just traded Mazara for!

DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

Fans are already hesitant about this new stadium and there is significant negative feedback about it.
Where are you seeing this? My experience thus far has been fantastic. People are very excited.

If you say "comments on Facebook, Instagram, etc." I will jump through my computer and slap you
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
AccidentProne said:

Quote:

Fans are already hesitant about this new stadium and there is significant negative feedback about it.
Where are you seeing this? My experience thus far has been fantastic. People are very excited.

If you say "comments on Facebook, Instagram, etc." I will jump through my computer and slap you

This board and the 2019 season thread is a decent indicator. I don't think the Rangers needed a new stadium. Sure, the A/C is going to be nice, and where I typically wouldn't go to a Sunday afternoon game in the past, I would be more inclined to go now. The field turf decision is probably going to be a poor one. I'll give it a chance but many players have already said they don't like it. Indoor baseball is too sterile, it's like playing in your livingroom.

I'm not impressed with the new uniforms either. They're ok, but not a selling point to me. I know many fans like the new uniforms and I'm happy they do but that doesn't do it for me.

My perspective is that ownership is trying to sell the fans on the gimmicks, for lack of a better word, but not sell them on the team. I think a lot of fans feel that way right now.
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.