***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,837 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Lots of players to dump
Yes, and as you mentioned we have room for a Rule 5 now . But we also have to make room for any free agent signee's. And Accident Prone has already assured us we are spending, so look for all of those names you listed to be cut soon

KT 90
AG
I'm still thinking he may get traded, but there is this

KT 90
AG
And a Taylor Hearn update who fell off the map after making one Mlb start and getting injured with few updates seemingly on his status

KT 90
AG
And it's the off season, so you gotta believe, right?

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

This better be a decent offseason. The last 3 or 4 have been downright pathetic for us.
DallasAg 94
South Platte
KT 90 said:

Yawn. Can we get more aggressive in developing our own talent?
KT 90
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Rangers signed Kyle Gibson

https://www.mlb.com/news/kyle-gibson-agrees-with-rangers
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Article I saw yesterday said they're still expected to sign another starter and are pushing for Donaldson/Rendon. I don't know why a guy making $10 million a year would have much of an effect on anything.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
$10M for a back-end starter isn't going to burst your free agent budget.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Pretty sure the number being talked about was $185. And again, spending $10 million per isn't going to stop you from grabbing a big free agent. They may not go after one but if they don't it's not going to be because they signed Gibson.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I thought that's what AP was saying a while back. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, that $10 million isn't what's going to stop them from going after a top line free agent regardless.
KT 90
AG
Wrteup on the trade: https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/kyle-gibson-agrees-with-rangers

Seems like a pretty decent deal for a former first round pick, even if he is more of an innings eater. Read here and another article that his lost strength last year will dealing with an illness, so he may be a little better than his numbers indicated last year.

Having another decent SP may also convince one of he third base options that they are serious about upgrading the roster. Article indicates another Sp and 3B are still on the table this Winter. We will see. if nothing else, he'll help save us from overworking the bullpen.

KT 90
AG
Article linked is an interesting read. I don't see two more significant free agent signings, but even one would be good.

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
I'm intrigued by the Villar option at 3B.
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

I'm intrigued by the Villar option at 3B.
Better than the garbage we've been running out there lately.
KT 90
AG
The Villar speed on the bases would be a welcome addition to the lineup, but I just looked it up and he has 54 career games at 3b in the mlb. He's mostly played 2b/SS .
hawk1689
AG
I'd prefer they sign a guy like that or Didi Gregorius to change positions on a show me contract rather than give the market value and term to Rendon or Donaldson.
DallasAg 94
alvtimes
I like the "speculated" trade of Kris Bryant to Rangers the best.... seems to fill multiple holes... RH bat... position of need.... If LH Odor, Guzman or Mazara gets added to deal..... even better.
Grapesoda2525
Alvarado Times said:

I like the "speculated" trade of Kris Bryant to Rangers the best.... seems to fill multiple holes... RH bat... position of need.... If LH Odor, Guzman or Mazara gets added to deal..... even better.
I think odor leaving this team before 2023 is a pipe dream.

I've never seen a professional team try so hard to prop up a mediocre player before.
KT 90
AG
Goody accepts assignment to the Rangers and is on the 40 now. See link for more discussion of the bullpen and the makeup of the 40. Somebody will have to go form the 40 once the Gibson signing becomes official.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/12/2/20991908/texas-rangers-transactions-nick-goody-waiver-claim

Rossko
AG

Moose is out
KT 90
AG
Rossko said:

Moose is out

Yep, so there went the cheaper free agent option at 3B. That leaves Rendon or Donaldson. Or a trade. I'm sure there are some scrub free agent options out there as well.

DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I hope/think the Rangers go out and get Rendon. Solves multiple problems on both offense and defense. It's going to take at least 7/210 but Rendon is a known quantity while our minor leaguers are not. It would also allow the Rangers to have some trade bait to offer for another player at another position.
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

If the Nationals don't retain Rendon, they will sign Donaldson. Pretty simple. For Donaldson, go sign with the reigning World Series Champs where you replace one of the best FAs on a team that will continue to compete, or go to the Rangers where there are lots of question marks.
This is why I am thinking we target Moustakas. He'd be an upgrade that won't break the bank (to the extent of Donaldson/Rendon would) and would likely be more willing to come here. Rendon might be willing to come here since he already has a title, but he will want a boatload of money for 6+ years and I don't think we bite on that one.
I agree.

I'd say go after Moustakas to try to sign him before Rendon and Donaldson sign, in order to not let the market dictate what you do. However, Boras is his agent and Boras will let the dominoes drop from top to bottom and watch the lower teams panic to improve.

Doubt we get Moustakas. He might be cheaper, but will want more years than we likely want to give.

If Jung is 2yrs (2022), then you want a 2 yr commit. Moustakis (31) is likely a 4 yr signing, if he can get it.

Looks like he got his 4yrs.

That signing doesn't signal to me good or bad, by the Rangers, although it affirms to me we aren't going big in FA.

Rendon is the big catch, then Donaldson.

Moustakis was a 30 yr old lefty... that was 2 things against him signing with Texas. We have so many Lefties. We have a number of minor league guys, so a 4 year deal seemed out of reach. Reasonable price though...

The Nats seem to be in for one of the 2. Was Cincy even one of the 5 or 6 teams known to be looking at 3B?

They already have Eugenio Suarez who is a stud at 3B. They will be deploying Moustakis elsewhere on the diamond likely 2B.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah. i think 30 mill for the sure thing is better money spent than 20 on more of a risk. Bargain hunting is one thing. But bargains that aren't really bargains are something else. I think that's how you end up with a Choo vs a Beltre.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.