***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

234,738 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do like some of their players. Altuve and Springer seem like good guys and I feel bad for Chirinos. Bregman, Cole, and Correa are whiny dbags.

But I hate the Astros. I've held my tongue the entire WS with everyone I know that was rooting for them.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Wish I had a Bryce Harper cam
Flexbone

[We don't let fans of other teams trash up the Astros thread and we aren't going to let you do that to this thread. This is your warning. -Staff]
Grapesoda2525
I might compile a special edition Astros tears post this weekend in this thread.

I'm pretty good at gathering horn tears. It shouldn't be too difficult.
Proposition Joe
Their fanbase can be so oblivious... They were complaining all series long about how biased the commentators were towards Washington and how it seemed like they were rooting for Washington.

It's like they can't wrap their heads around why the media might not be that big a fan of a team that called them a liar regarding the Taubman ordeal... Or that their current 1st Baseman in their last trip to the WS mocked the eyes of an Asian pitcher... Or that they traded for a wife-beater because of "good value".
Aggie_3
Ok back to Rangers topics.

Is it realistic to think the Rangers will be willing to go out and truly try and get Cole and possibly Rendon? I know both are the top free agents but both would fill absolute needs for us that we need on this team.
Mr Gigem
AG
Flexbone getting ready to post on the Rangers thread

Grapesoda2525
Aggie_3 said:

Is it realistic to think the Rangers will be willing to go out and truly try and get Cole and possibly Rendon? I know both are the top free agents but both would fill absolute needs for us that we need on this team.
Not realistic,

Im just hoping we can get some good second tier free agents like maybe Donaldson or moustakas.
Aggie_3
Grapesoda2525 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Not realistic,

Im just hoping we can get some good second tier free agents like maybe Donaldson or moustakas.

If AccidentProne is right about the amount t of money we will have to use on Payroll this year I think it could be. Will JD do it that's another question. I believe they are going to try and attract a top Pitcher this offseason to send a message that the only thing keeping the top from choosing the rangers so many times before was the fact we didn't play indoors in the Texas heat
South Platte
AccidentProne said:

Unreal that Cole never made into that game. What a horrible mistake to not pitch arguably your best pitcher in a high leverage situation
I'm not so sure. Dodgers brought Kershaw into an identical situation and he gives up bombs on back to back pitches to the same spot in the Nationals order It's easy to make this argument, but I'm on the side of leaving Grienke in. If you bring in Cole, it's at the start of an inning, not with runners on base.

To a certain extent, I believe the Nationals were not going to lose this game, no matter who you threw. All postseason they raked when they absolutely had to against the best closer in the game (Hader), Kershaw, Cole, and Verlander. They earned it.
South Platte
Aggie_3 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Not realistic,

If AccidentProne is right about the amount t of money we will have to use on Payroll this year I think it could be. Will JD do it that's another question. I believe they are going to try and attract a top Pitcher this offseason to send a message that the only thing keeping the top from choosing the rangers so many times before was the fact we didn't play indoors in the Texas heat
Or maybe we actually evaluate young talent like we did in 2007 and build our team for less money like Tampa and Oakland, then add in a free agent starter and closer. Spending $175M doesn't guarantee anything.
KT 90
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Not realistic,

Cole isn't even a possibility, imo. He will be on a west coast team. I guess Rendon is possible, but I doubt we go all in on him either. His price was already high, and went up with his playoff performance. I think we offer Donaldson or Moustakas something in the 2 to 3 year range and hopefully Jung will be ready to go and take over third by the end of the contract.

Proposition Joe
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. Last big time true free agent the Rangers inked was Beltre and that was during our "window".
DallasAg 94
bigcat22
AG
KT 90 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Not realistic,

Cole isn't even a possibility, imo. He will be on a west coast team. I guess Rendon is possible, but I doubt we go all in on him either. His price was already high, and went up with his playoff performance. I think we offer Donaldson or Moustakas something in the 2 to 3 year range and hopefully Jung will be ready to go and take over third by the end of the contract.

Agree that there's 0% on signing Cole. He's already on record of saying he wants to go back to the West Cost, no? My guess is that he stays in the AL West and signs with the Angels.

As much as I can't stand the guy, it wouldn't surprise me if we offer Donaldson, he fills an immediate need and fits the profile of temporary players JD likes to sign
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

If Cole goes West Coast... I'm thinking the Dodgers.

They lose to FA:
Rich Hill (SP)
Ryu (SP)
Russell Martin (C)

About $116M committed to 7 players (Kershaw, Justin Turner, Kenley Jansen, Pollock, Joe Kelly, & Kenta Maeda). Option on Jedd Gyorko.

Their rotation next year:
Kershaw (31): 28 GS, 3.30 ERA, 1.043 WHIP, 178.1 IP
Buehler (24): 30 GS, 3.26 ERA, 1.042 WHIP, 182.1 IP <- Serf
Maeda (31): 26 GS, 4.04 ERA, 1.074 WHIP, in 153.2 IP
Stripling (29): 15 GS, 3.47 ERA, 1.147 WHIP in 90.2 IP <- Arb1
Urias (22): 8 GS, 2.49 ERA, 1.079 WHIP in 79.2 IP. <- Arb1

The Dodgers will likely play the trade game this off-season. They have an abundance of prospects and money, and if they find a player they want, they'll have the ability to get them.

Dodgers also have that red-headed Rookie, D. May, as a rotation candidate as well. One of the top prospects. They may roll with the names you listed, plus May to put together their rotation and spend their money elsewhere.

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

bigcat22 said:

Agree that there's 0% on signing Cole. He's already on record of saying he wants to go back to the West Cost, no? My guess is that he stays in the AL West and signs with the Angels.

As much as I can't stand the guy, it wouldn't surprise me if we offer Donaldson, he fills an immediate need and fits the profile of temporary players JD likes to sign
I agree there is little, if any chance the Rangers get Cole. I don't think the Halos are much of a chance, either. They already have $116M tied up in 6 players for 2020. Add a $25M+ guy like Cole and they commit $141M to 7 players with 18 more players to pay.

They had ONE (1) pitcher over 100 IP, and that was 31 yo Trevor Cahill, with 102.1, 5.98 ERA, 1.466 WHIP.

From an innings perspective, Cole gives them a SP they will desperately need in 2020.

Pujols @39, with his 2019 - .244, 23 HR and $29M salary in 131 GP is going to be a huge deficit @40 in 2020.

If Cole goes there... awesome for the Rangers, because they won't have the money to fill many of their other holes. Some people... like Mike Trout and Felix Hernandez, just don't mind losing and being on losing teams.
I don't think 25M does it for Cole. He'll be looking for mid 30's I believe. Somebody will pay him. He was the hottest pitcher in baseball (overall) this past year, and is still in his prime.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

I don't think 25M does it for Cole. He'll be looking for mid 30's I believe. Somebody will pay him. He was the hottest pitcher in baseball (overall) this past year, and is still in his prime.
I agree. That is why I had the "+" in there. I don't have any idea how much above $25M, so I used it as budgetary. $30M? $35M? 5... 6 years? He is 28, right?! Prime years. Does he take a discount for years or location?

He had a hat on after the game last night we with a logo for Scott Boras' organization, there will be no discounts . The west coast teams will pay up, or maybe the Yankees get desperate and throw money at him. He will be cashing in.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Rangers just acquired Wellington Castillo and International pool money from the ChiSox for Jonah McReynolds.

Castillo has had a productive career and shores up the catcher position offensively for Texas.

Also noticed the club has the option on his 2020 contract. I wonder if they will try and move Castillo and this was a way to get more Int'l money.

Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

I agree. That is why I had the "+" in there. I don't have any idea how much above $25M, so I used it as budgetary. $30M? $35M? 5... 6 years? He is 28, right?! Prime years. Does he take a discount for years or location?

He had a hat on after the game last night we with a logo for Scott Boras' organization, there will be no discounts . The west coast teams will pay up, or maybe the Yankees get desperate and throw money at him. He will be cashing in.
By discount... I meant less money per year for additional years. 4X$35M = $140 or 6yrX $30= $180M
Boras math doesn't work that way... he'll say 6x$35=$210. or possibly 7x35=245 is what Scotty boy will be looking for, or more. And they'll get it. Top shelf pitchers are hard to come by, somebody will pay up.

PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Flexbone said:

[We don't let fans of other teams trash up the Astros thread and we aren't going to let you do that to this thread. This is your warning. -Staff]

Can confirm, I sat in timeout for a day after 1 too many posts in the Astros thread lol
Grapesoda2525
lda6339 said:

Flexbone said:

Can confirm, I sat in timeout for a day after 1 too many posts in the Astros thread lol
It's kind of an unspoken rule.

We don't go to their thread and they don't come to ours. Anyone who crosses the line will get ganged up on and have their head kicked in. For instance, look what just happened to Flexbone. Staff will come in after it's over and hand out bans to the people causing trouble.

The trash talk there is where battles are fought. I'm sure everyone reads the opposite teams thread anyway.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

lda6339 said:

Flexbone said:

It's kind of an unspoken rule.

We don't go to their thread and they don't come to ours. Anyone who crosses the line will get ganged up on and have their head kicked in. For instance, look what just happened to Flexbone. Staff will come in after it's over and hand out bans to the people causing trouble.

The trash talk there is where battles are fought. I'm sure everyone reads the opposite teams thread anyway.

I didn't even know it was a rule because I only started posting on the MLB forum in the World Series. I guess as a Cardinals fan my options for posting will be pretty limited next spring lol
AgBQ-00
AG
As long as you post without being a deuch canoe you should be ok. At least on the Ranger thread. We enjoy discussion. But flame posting and general frickery is frowned upon.
Grapesoda2525
AgBQ-00 said:

As long as you post without being a deuch canoe you should be ok. At least on the Ranger thread. We enjoy discussion. But flame posting and general frickery is frowned upon.
I guess other ranger fans think I trash odor too much, but I don't apologize for disliking bad players and wanting to see them replaced or moved. Anything holding us back from winning or competing should be frowned upon when you are at the highest level of competition.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.