***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,863 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wake me up when we are ready to be serious and start competing
Jeff99
Spending 7/245 for Rendon would have been a horrifically bad decision for the Rangers. 6/200 (33 per) was a solid offer. Sometimes you get outbid by a team desperate to spend money. Keep in mind, Jung is probably only two years away. I never really understood why the Rangers were in the bidding for this guy in the first place.

There are certainly a lot of things to take this management group to task over. This seems comparatively minor.

Jeff99
Sure bud.
Rossko
AG
Jeff99 said:

Spending 7/245 for Rendon would have been a horrifically bad decision for the Rangers. 6/200 (33 per) was a solid offer. Sometimes you get outbid by a team desperate to spend money. Keep in mind, Jung is probably only two years away. I never really understood why the Rangers were in the bidding for this guy in the first place.

There are certainly a lot of things to take this management group to task over. This seems comparatively minor.

Rendon brings defense and a strong veteran presence that the team is lacking without Beltre. Rendon is a guy who will hit a ball to the right side to score the runner from 3rd or see a shift and hit the open hole for a knock vs swinging for the fences. He would help change the culture of the team. It's not just about numbers with him.
Jeff99
"Culture of the team" "More than numbers"

Why don't we put a uniform on Rusty Greer and push him back out there? When you're saying stuff like this, you probably don't have much of a point and you're making stuff up.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Rossko
AG
Jeff99 said:

"Culture of the team" "More than numbers"

Why don't we put a uniform on Rusty Greer and push him back out there? When you're saying stuff like this, you probably don't have much of a point and you're making stuff up.
When did Rusty Greer finish top 3 MVP? Sure Jung might be a couple years away but nothing guarantees he will even be good. Rendon is a top 3B in the league now. Saying you don't really understand why they wanted Rendon leads me to believe you don't really watch much baseball.
EastSideAg2002
Time to start scouring the TJ surgery and past their prime vet scrap pile.
Schall 02
AG
Name the last major free agent to sign in DFW. I'll hang up and listen.
DeangeloVickers
AG
It's because they are afraid of the heat

Oh wait
DeangeloVickers
AG
DallasAg 94
dvldog
AG
Schall 02 said:

Name the last major free agent to sign in DFW. I'll hang up and listen.
?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Probably reaching due to time
dvldog
AG
Your point stands, though. To have to go back that far proves it.
Danny Vermin
I, for one, am glad we didn't overpay for Rendon. Way too much money and he would be blocking Jung who I think will be a very good player for us.
Danny Vermin
For all the Astros fans reading our thread, no one in baseball respects your cheating team. There will always be an asterisk next to 2017.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

For all the Astros fans reading our thread, no one in baseball respects your cheating team. There will always be an asterisk next to 2017.
Astro fans have enough to worry about right now. They have no right to laugh at anyone else. Only the stupid ones will try to talk trash.
94chem
$33 million in state income tax. One year of the contract is already gone.
94chem
The state of New York gets $900 every time Gerritt Cole throws a pitch.
South Platte
KT 90 said:

I'd take Cron even if we bench him the entire year. Seems like his lifetime OPS vs. Rangers is like 1.500. Signing him so he can't beat us is good for 3-4 wins right there.
South Platte
Danny Vermin said:

I, for one, am glad we didn't overpay for Rendon. Way too much money and he would be blocking Jung who I think will be a very good player for us.
Yep, 100%. Hopefully Jung is ready for 2021.
South Platte
Rossko said:

Jeff99 said:

Rendon brings defense and a strong veteran presence that the team is lacking without Beltre. Rendon is a guy who will hit a ball to the right side to score the runner from 3rd or see a shift and hit the open hole for a knock vs swinging for the fences. He would help change the culture of the team. It's not just about numbers with him.
Beltre never made more than $18M. He wasn't underpaid.
Schall 02
AG
(1) Jung is a prospect. Suppose he makes it to MLB in 2021, though I think that's overly optimistic. What are you expecting out of a rookie?

(2) The income tax differentials aren't as wild as you suggest. Players are taxed for where they play, which I believe means 1 month of the year is in Arizona or Florida (Spring Training), 3 months where your home team is, 3 months on the road in 20 other states, and then not sure how the off-season is treated. Texas' lack of a state income tax isn't such a boon.

(3) I left DFW five+ years ago. I get why no one wants to go there. Part of it, too, is ownership in some respects (Mavs, Cowboys) overshadows the players. For baseball, it's not a baseball town and has no real history of winning.
aggietony2010
AG
Schall 02 said:

(1) Jung is a prospect. Suppose he makes it to MLB in 2021, though I think that's overly optimistic. What are you expecting out of a rookie?

(2) The income tax differentials aren't as wild as you suggest. Players are taxed for where they play, which I believe means 1 month of the year is in Arizona or Florida (Spring Training), 3 months where your home team is, 3 months on the road in 20 other states, and then not sure how the off-season is treated. Texas' lack of a state income tax isn't such a boon.

(3) I left DFW five+ years ago. I get why no one wants to go there. Part of it, too, is ownership in some respects (Mavs, Cowboys) overshadows the players. For baseball, it's not a baseball town and has no real history of winning.

Is that you Josh?
God save the Patriarchy!
DannyDuberstein
AG
You had to expect this would take 6-7 at $35 to get done. Every idiot knew that. What a bunch of smoke blowing bull**** by the rangers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

7/245 for Rendon would have been a horrifically bad decision for the Rangers. 6/200 (33 per) was a solid offer.
The gap on this really isn't that wide. A couple of million per year and one year isn't much of a gap at all. I don't really have heartburn paying corner position players where speed isn't their game anyway through age 35.
94chem
Schall 02 said:

Let's be honest - none of us know what we're talking about:

Jock Tax - Lawyers and CPA win, except for having boring jobs
Schall 02
AG
Pretty sure that says what I said.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, who can resist the long and storied history of Angels baseball.
Carlo4
AG
AggieDPT said:

Oh boy CJ Cron! He may sell literally dozens of jerseys
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Color me underwhelmed. This was posted earlier this morning on MLBTradeRumors. So, we're going to trade Mazara, a lefty with good pop in his bat, for a minor league (same age as Mazara with 4 fewer years of MLB experience) and try to set up a 1B platoon with two lefties. Not to mention a 3rd base/OF option that has played 100 games 4 times in 12 seasons. Either this writer is trolling or the FO is trolling all the fans.

Quote:

Trade Rumors: Rangers, Smith, Lowrie, Blue Jays, Frazier, Cubs
December 12th, 2019 at 5:21am CST By Mark Polishuk
The Athletics aren't the only AL West team interested in Jed Lowrie's services, as the Rangers have been in talks with the Mets about a deal that would send both Lowrie and Dominic Smith to the Lone Star State, The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal reports (subscription required). However, "talks to this point have failed to progress" between the two clubs. It's fair to guess that Smith was the Rangers' real target in these negotiations, as Smith would be the sweetener added to the deal in exchange for the Rangers assuming most or all of the remaining $12MM on Lowrie's contract. New York is reportedly trying to create payroll space by shopping high-priced names like Lowrie or Jeurys Familia to other teams.

Smith is perhaps a bit of a curious fit for the Rangers, given that Texas already has a plethora of left-handed hitting first base/DH/corner outfield types, and only just dealt from that surplus in sending Nomar Mazara to the White Sox. Still, adding a 24-year-old with five seasons of control has obvious value for the Rangers, as Shin-Soo Choo's contract is up after the 2020 campaign, and Ronald Guzman could become expendable in the event of Smith joining the roster. While Lowrie missed virtually all of 2019 due to injury, he also offers more to Texas than just a salary dump if he's able to stay healthy. If Lowrie was able to recapture anything close to his 2017-18 form, he'd represent a good third base answer if the Rangers weren't able to sign Josh Donaldson.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Reports that we're now out on Donaldson because the bidding has gone too high. Another year of utter stupidity on deck.
jtstanley4621
AG
Honestly wouldn't be too upset if we missed out on Donaldson. Do not want to have to bring myself to root for that guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.