***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,900 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AccidentProne said:

IHIOGA Rendon will be a Ranger in the next few days
This is like Deep Throat "Follow the Money" type information.
Mr Gigem
AG
Single game tickets will be available 2/28
Carlo4
AG
thank you sir!
Mr Gigem
AG
twilly said:

AccidentProne said:

This is like Deep Throat "Follow the Money" type information.
South Platte
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

A one-time All-Star?
I mean, he's a one-time All Star but has also finished in the top 6 of MVP voting 3 of the last 6 seasons, was 11th an additional season, and has two silver sluggers.

He's had a very nice career and should continue to have a very nice career.

I did say earlier I wouldn't expect him to put up 2019 numbers, but he's a darn good player.

I'm sure he'll get overpaid, but that's baseball. Everyone is getting "overpaid."
If he can't duplicate 2019 #'s then he should be a hard pass at $30M.

Rendon Career OPS = .859
Choo Career OPS = .826

Rendon OPS if you take out 2019 = .833

We raise hell about Choo being overpaid . . .

We pay Lynn and Minor $10M - $12M and get nice returns. Their productivity was the only reason we didn't go 60-102 last year. For this money, this guy better be Beltre reincarnated, and Beltre didn't make anywhere near that kind of money.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But this sounds like the same old stupid Rangers tricks.
twilly
AG
Maybe I pulled too old an reference here...

Deep throat was the whistle blower for the Watergate scandal back in the 70's. He leaked out the info that brought down Nixon
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I have reservations too, but if we are going to make a splash, I want this to be it. Nothing is guaranteed (except the contracts) but Rendon is a top 3 (maybe 2) 3rd baseman.

You could also take out the first few years of his career and have better OPS numbers. You can't cherry pick. I wonder if everyone will regress next year if the league goes back to the old baseball.
Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

Could you help us get discounts or recommend the right seats to get?
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I have reservations too, but if we are going to make a splash, I want this to be it. Nothing is guaranteed (except the contracts) but Rendon is a top 3 (maybe 2) 3rd baseman.

You could also take out the first few years of his career and have better OPS numbers. You can't cherry pick. I wonder if everyone will regress next year if the league goes back to the old baseball.
We kinda need a big splash after the last few offseasons.
South Platte
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Well I didn't take out the first couple of years of Choo's OPS numbers either. I was just going off the premise to not expect Rendon's 2019 #'s but his previous seasons.

I'm going to stop arguing about this like it matters. I'll still follow them regardless. But living in Houston, I'm sick of rooting for Boston, NYY, Dodgers, Nats to beat them.

Splash signings mean jack squat. Nationals whiffed on the biggest name last year, were left for dead, and won the WS.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I feel your pain. I'm in League City.
AggieDPT
AG
AccidentProne said:

Poop slap and/or free tickets?
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Some would argue that they won the WS because they lost out on that big free agent signing. I'm not saying that's the case, I have no idea, but it has been discussed among MLB insiders.

Ultimately I'm like you. I would be a terrible GM because of the exorbitant amounts these guys make. At the end of the day, these guys are entertainers and get paid what the market will bear. With these crazy payrolls, I'm not sure how teams make money but they obviously do.

Also, I like the discussion. I'm not trying to shout you down. I agree more with you than you think.
Rossko
AG
Rendon is only overpaid if you compare him to older generations before inflation. He's a top of the market 3B in his prime so you have to pay the price to get that type of talent. Otherwise you become the Rays trading an MVP caliber player for "Renfroe and a damn slapdick prospect."
DannyDuberstein
AG
The key is making that pay count by ensuring it's spent on a guy that produces. It's the Arte Moreno splurges on crap that kill you. I think Rendon is a guy that makes it count.
Mr Gigem
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

AccidentProne said:

Could you help us get discounts or recommend the right seats to get?

I'll have another discount code for everyone
Rossko
AG
Rossko
AG
For those not loving the new uniforms...

https://uni-watch.com/2019/12/05/whats-my-name-rangers-reclaim-identity-with-new-uni-set/
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I read that article last week. That dude has a weird obsession with the Red/Blue team thing.
Grapesoda2525
Rossko said:

Could be boras doing what he does best, driving the price up.

I still think the angels have way too many holes at pitching to actually sign rendon.
Rossko
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Rossko said:

Could be boras doing what he does best, driving the price up.

I still think the angels have way too many holes at pitching to actually sign rendon.
It's looking legit...

Schall 02
AG
I don't think we are grateful enough for AP.
Schall 02
AG
Boo.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/12/11/21012089/mlb-rumors-angels-anthony-rendon-texas-rangers
Mr Gigem
AG
This is ****ing bull***** **** the Angels
Mr Gigem
AG
Sorry everyone
Schall 02
AG
The rich get richer.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Quote:

Angels, Anthony Rendon In "Active Talks"; Rangers Out
December 11th, 2019 at 8:41pm CST By Connor Byrne
8:41pm: The Rangers are out of the race, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.

8:29pm: The Angels are engaged in "active talks" with free-agent third baseman Anthony Rendon, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports. They're "working hard" to sign him, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network, while Rosenthal adds that the Angels are hoping to finalize a deal tonight.

With the Dodgers seemingly drifting from the Rendon race, it may come down to a pair of AL West rivals to sign the longtime Washington superstar. The Rangers remain in the mix, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Jeff Wilson, who notes that they've met with Rendon's agent, Scott Boras, once during the Winter Meetings.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wonder if the Cole deal launched a new level of Arte Moreno insanity. Like 10 years $350-400 mill
Rossko
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
Would not shock me to see 6 for 38
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I guess the next move is Donaldson. Going to be difficult to root for him but I guess I'll try.
Schall 02
AG
Being an Aggies and Rangers lifer is hard.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.