***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,829 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Be able" vs MLB choosing to do it is another ballgame
TXAggie2011
AG
The state's checklist says the following.

Quote:

Each professional sports league that desires to reopen must first submit a plan to the Texas Department of State Health Services ("DSHS"). Spectators are allowed for outdoor events, provided that outdoor venues limit the number of spectators to no more than 50% of the normal operating limits of the venue as determined by the facility owner, and indoor venues limit the number of spectators to no more than 50% of the total listed occupancy of the venue. Each plan must incorporate these minimum health protocols to the greatest extent possible. The plan should be submitted to DSHS via email at: coronavirus@dshs.texas.gov.
Note that (1) it says indoor venues can have up to 50% capacity, but (2) its "desire" and "no more" language is indicative of the power to set an upper limit, but not a minimum.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/opentexas.aspx (Under May 31)

If the actual executive order doesn't indicate they can have 50% indoors, then they've got some internal communication problems.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
Based on his tone for some time now, I'd say bet on latter
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I was just reading that the team must pick up 23 NDFAs to account for the 28 picks signed last year. This is apparently according to MLB rules. I would copy and paste but for some reason my phone won't let me.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
MLB isn't going to have fans in some stadiums and no fans in others. Would require an adjustment to the revenue sharing and seeing as how we can't even get the salary issue straightened out, that ain't gonna happen.

People keep thinking that these teams (both collegiate and professional) are going to vary greatly on how they handle attendance and it's highly unlikely that is how it plays out. You're going to see uniform decisions across leagues as well as conferences.
TXAggie2011
AG
The relationship between players and owners is already nearing broken-beyond-repair territory.

Allowing some owners to take in ticket revenue during a crisis while others cannot seems destined to cause a fracture within the owners' relationships, which seems like the last thing MLB needs right now.
Danny Vermin
We're not getting baseball this year. Neither side will budge.
Trucker 96
I really don't see how you say no to an 80-85% offer on 70+ games in empty stadiums. So the union doesn't counter, just says "set the schedule" which would be the 50 game version, then the players file a grievance when the owners do. Bad faith.
hawk1689
AG
Unfortunately, I think you're right. The players just don't seem to understand that the owners would rather lose less money by not playing at all.
Trucker 96
And with the Rangers current ownership and the bills due from the new empty stadium, this team is going to be ****ed for years as far as competing in FA.
Schall 02
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

And with the Rangers current ownership and the bills due from the new empty stadium, this team is going to be f-ed for years as far as competing in FA.

At least they'll finally have a decent excuse.
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

And with the Rangers current ownership and the bills due from the new empty stadium, this team is going to be ****ed for years as far as competing in FA.
Not getting Rendon was the last straw for me.

This front office blows.
Trucker 96
I feel like we've time traveled back to the Tom Hicks era.
Grapesoda2525
I'm starting to think that the unthinkable will happen.

In 2023, the rangers will renew odors team option when every other team in MLB would decline it. They will say how much of a leader he is, how good of a guy he is, and he's doing everything the organization asks of him despite hitting below the Mendoza line for most of the contract.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm starting to think that the unthinkable will happen.

In 2023, the rangers will renew odors team option when every other team in MLB would decline it. They will say how much of a leader he is, how good of a guy he is, and he's doing everything the organization asks of him despite hitting below the Mendoza line for most of the contract.
CV19, Police Brutality, Riots, Election 2020, Social Distancing, Freedoms trampled, Constitution being destroyed, Anarchists running freely ...

Odor... no 2020... not 2021... not 2022... but 2023 is what is troubling you? The Rangers just drafted players that most sports writers have never heard of and in a limited draft of 5 players. And even with the Rangers current plight, you biggest fear is Odor's option in 3 years gets picked up.

It isn't healthy. Legit. you should seek counseling. I'm not sure what he did to you, but I could never gain pleasuring in cheering the demise of player for 4 years, when we may not even get baseball this year.

There's nothing to talk about on this forum right now.

The draft stunk. Our owners are penny pinching jerks who won't give anyone their money back during a pandemic.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

There's nothing to talk about on this forum right now.

The draft stunk. Our owners are penny pinching jerks who won't give anyone their money back during a pandemic.
You missed that their 2nd Rd pick. The main one nobody has heard of, has agreed to sign and forego Duke University.

Might be worth spending time on that.
He's going to be a bust anyway
DallasAg 94
J.P. 03
AG
Oh boy. You want to REALLY hate the ownership group even more than you do now? Watch them try to deflect attention away from their finances and terrible offseason by entertaining this gem from Buster Olney:

Quote:

Given the current context in this country, with so much of its history under reexamination, it will be interesting to see if the owners of the Texas Rangers will be pressured to consider a change.

Buried at the bottom of this article:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29302203/how-astros-luhnow-mindset-ruining-mlb
TXAggie2011
AG
on the point of the main article...

If the owners do choose to follow the "Lunhow" model (manipulate service time, avoid free agent signings, etc.) then the entire grand bargain underpinning the CBA falls apart and we're going to have a proper work stoppage sometime in the future. This current situation will seem tame.

There's nothing in the MLB set-up for the players if they can't make it to free agency, and when they manage to do so, they don't get paid. Doesn't even matter if a contract is guaranteed if the owner won't offer you the money in the first place.
Schall 02
AG
I remember looking on espndeportes when I was at A&M circa 2001/02 to practice Spanish and recoiling at how they translated Texas Rangers. It was something like the maradauers or terrorists or something none too flattering. Apparently stuck with me.
Rossko
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Oh boy. You want to REALLY hate the ownership group even more than you do now? Watch them try to deflect attention away from their finances and terrible offseason by entertaining this gem from Buster Olney:

Quote:

Given the current context in this country, with so much of its history under reexamination, it will be interesting to see if the owners of the Texas Rangers will be pressured to consider a change.

Buried at the bottom of this article:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29302203/how-astros-luhnow-mindset-ruining-mlb
Waiting for the article claiming Oklahoma should change their mascot due to the term originating from people rushing to take land for free after the government pushed Native Americans to reservations.
BMX Bandit
Change the name of the state first. Redskin or redman is offensive.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Have we discussed how the removal of the Texas Rangers statue at Love Field may potentially lead to a call to change the name of the Texas Rangers baseball team name?
Trucker 96
I don't think here but the "will we have baseball this year?" thread mentioned it. Lunacy.
Mr Gigem
AG
I agree. I understand that the original Texas Rangers support slavery and white supremacy over blacks, but that is not how they operate today. So I tend to disagree with the removal of the statue, and I don't think it should be viewed in the same light as something like the Washington Redskins.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
The Texas nickname promotes racism and hatred towards Indians. Now do some other teams. How about Atlanta or Cleveland? Boston and Cincinnati offend me because their nicknames promote Communism. The Angels and Padres clearly promote Christianity and we must have separation of church and state. The Athletic's connote jocks who have oppressed dweebs, nerds, and outcasts since the dawn of time.

See how easy and ridiculous this is?
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.