***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,834 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we are underestimating how devastating this could punishment could actually be

The loss of 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021 can absolutely decimate your team

The potential of corporate sponsors wanting out of their deals because they don't want to associate with dirty organizations

The loss of season ticket holders

Other teams not wanting to deal with them in trades

Free agents avoiding them

This has the potential to snowball wildly out of control
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

I love the "oh noes we just lost the architect of our World Series run".

Yes, the guy who came up with such out-of-the-box thinking as "lets be historically bad for a really long time so we can be good afterward".

Luhnow really isn't that smart to be honest.

Especially if it was his idea to tank so egregiously that the tv networks quit showing Astro games while they were losing what 110-115 games a year on purpose?

Any joker can nail the draft when you have the top overall pick every single year for 5 years in a row.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Do you think that will happen? I think they'll be fine for the first year or two, since they have a stacked roster and will be winning plenty of games. But ongoing it may catch up with them.

Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

I think we are underestimating how devastating this could punishment could actually be

The loss of 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021 can absolutely decimate your team

The potential of corporate sponsors wanting out of their deals because they don't want to associate with dirty organizations

They deserve it. All of it.

The organization clearly had a "win at all cost, take no prisoners" mentality. Is it ok to want to win? Definitely, but they violated the integrity of the game by outwardly tanking worse than any other team in sports history. The MLB had EXTENSIVE evidence. That sleazy ****er Cora is going to get his soon, but he also has ties to the Astros.

This whole thing is dirty, nasty, and corrupt. They are getting what's coming to them tho.
Proposition Joe
AccidentProne said:

None of that is going to happen.

The two biggest hits from this will be:

A) The draft pick losses hurting them a bit in 2021/2022, but that likely lines up with their window being closed and rebuilding, so doesn't hurt any championship aspirations.

B) Possibly losing out on some top coaching or front office talent due to ownership not standing behind their guys.
aggietony2010
AG
AccidentProne said:

Lunhow and Hinch FIRED. WOW

I've got to wonder if there was a little back room dealing. MLB saying, hey we want them out of baseball and want you to have a little chance to look like you want to clean up your organization. We'll suspend them a season, and you can use that as an excuse to fire them.
PatAg
AG
Rossko said:

PatAg said:

I am pretty sure none of us would actually care at all if we were in the Astros position.
Why couldn't Nelson Cruz play back 20 ft
You can always win another WS, can't erase a history of cheating. No thanks on wanting to trade places with the asstrolls.
Can you? It's not as straight forward as you make it, imo. Personally, I would never cheat...but I'm also just a fan.
jtstanley4621
AG
aggietony2010 said:

AccidentProne said:

Lunhow and Hinch FIRED. WOW

I've got to wonder if there was a little back room dealing. MLB saying, hey we want them out of baseball and want you to have a little chance to look like you want to clean up your organization. We'll suspend them a season, and you can use that as an excuse to fire them.
But they're going to look for their next GM candidate.... internally? Yeah that'll show you're past it!

Quite the 1-2 punch if you're a Houston sports fan today. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase.
aggietony2010
AG
Lol. I missed that tidbit. Nevermind.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I'd rather Nelson Cruz in the outfield than asterik
Cromagnum
AG

[This thread is for Rangers fans and not rivalry posts. There is your only warning. -Staff]
twilly
AG
There will be some loss in season tickets regardless this year due to cutbacks at O&G companies.
Schall 02
AG
Meanwhile, Denver talk radio this morning suggests now more likely than not that Arenado is traded, with the Cards and Rangers the principal suitors.
hawk1689
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Especially if it was his idea to tank so egregiously that the tv networks quit showing Astro games while they were losing what 110-115 games a year on purpose?

Any joker can nail the draft when you have the top overall pick every single year for 5 years in a row.
He screwed it up...twice. Appel and Aiken were both disasters. It ended up hurting us the most though because they ended up getting Bregman with our draft slot.
Proposition Joe
hawk1689 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

He screwed it up...twice. Appel and Aiken were both disasters. It ended up hurting us the most though because they ended up getting Bregman with our draft slot.
Bregman is a ******bag, but he should have been our ******bag!
Cromagnum
AG
Cromagnum said:

[This thread is for Rangers fans and not rivalry posts. There is your only warning. -Staff]

Dang, my bad. I thought I was on the Astros thread and misclicked on mobile I guess.
Grapesoda2525
Gotta love the comments of enraged Astro fans on the Astro threads who say stuff like

" those morons on the Arlington thread are enjoying this"

Oh yeah! If the situation was reversed, I'm sure the Astros would be the first ones to feel bad for us.......NOT.
curry97
AG
AP, please tell us that there will be a Trash Can fan giveaway night during a home series with Houston.
Mr Gigem
AG
curry97 said:

AP, please tell us that there will be a Trash Can fan giveaway night during a home series with Houston.
I'll see what I can do
Rossko
AG
PatAg said:

Rossko said:

PatAg said:

I am pretty sure none of us would actually care at all if we were in the Astros position.
Why couldn't Nelson Cruz play back 20 ft
You can always win another WS, can't erase a history of cheating. No thanks on wanting to trade places with the asstrolls.
Can you? It's not as straight forward as you make it, imo. Personally, I would never cheat...but I'm also just a fan.
Not that it's *easy* to win one, but I'd rather take longer to get one by the books than what they did. I should have said you can always have the chance to win a WS but once a scandal like this happens, it's in the books written with ink.
GrapevineAg
AG
Sorry for a quick derail, but I thought I'd share (what I think are) some cool patches from when I was a kid... 1976-1978 Dr Pepper Jr Texas Rangers. I used to have a fake leather batting glove from then too, but it's long gone now.

KT 90
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Sorry for a quick derail, but I thought I'd share (what I think are) some cool patches from when I was a kid... 1976-1978 Dr Pepper Jr Texas Rangers. I used to have a fake leather batting glove from then too, but it's long gone now.

I remember the Jr. Ranger batting gloves and wristbands! Good stuff. Plus some freebie tickets out in the outfield metal bleachers. Good times.

KT 90
AG
GrapevineAg said:

And the derail is actually good. Let's keep this thread Ranger related. There are other threads from the Astro talk, both off-season and cheatgate related.

DannyDuberstein
AG
This should have been ban for life worthy. And revoking title worthy. Black Sox scandal level of egregiousness in completely ****ting on the integrity of the game.
GrapevineAg
AG
KT 90 said:

I remember the Jr. Ranger batting gloves and wristbands! Good stuff. Plus some freebie tickets out in the outfield metal bleachers. Good times.
I forgot about the wristbands! Ah, the old "drunk tank"... good times indeed. I saw Cecil Fielder hit one out of the park over center or right-center - at the time, I thought it was about as far as a human could hit a baseball.
Rossko
AG
I would love to get Bauer in here for one of his 1 year contracts...

Quincey P. Morris
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This should have been ban for life worthy. And revoking title worthy. Black Sox scandal level of egregiousness in completely ****ting on the integrity of the game.

Yeah, it's not in the ballpark of a scandal involving throwing World Series games.
AgBQ-00
AG
Had a friend that was chosen to throw out the first pitch one time. I got to go with him and his folks to the game. He gave me a ball that the whole team had signed. I really wish I could find that ball. It had Steve Buchelle, Inky, Pete O'Brien, among others.
Aggie_3
Rossko said:

I would love to get Bauer in here for one of his 1 year contracts...

GOLD JERRY!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ranger #007 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, it's not in the ballpark of a scandal involving throwing World Series games.

Both took a big fat dump on the game. One was doing it to win. One to lose. But there is no gray area on this. Just blatant, intentional, egregious cheat job.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They did, but they're not even close in terms of level. Taking money from gamblers is a whole different ball of wax.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Both are in the state of "that is so blatantly wrong and against the spirit of competition that it shouldnt even require a rule" territory. Would be like an NFL team hacking the coach-to-qb headset.
bigcat22
AG
DallasAg 94
CrawlingNo5
AG
So give JD one more year then luhnow becomes available to hire?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.