***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

234,784 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good Lord. 2004!?! How did I get so old?
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
ChipFTAC01 said:

What was the context of that Delucci game? I can't remember. I remember watching it. Was it a down the stretch battling for the division title?

Sadly it shows just how devoid of real "games that meant something for the season" that this franchise really had before 2010.

We spent most of the 2004 season within a few games of first in the (very weak) division (actually getting as high as 4.5 games up in the division in July). This was the year I believe we were all convinced Ryan Drese was the next big analytical diamond in the rough with his ability to induce ground balls.

By mid-September we were 6 games back, basically hitting the low-point of the season with Frankie Francisco throwing a chair into the stands in an eventual loss to the Athletics. I think most put up our gravestone at that point.

But Oakland came to town and we swept them cutting the division lead to 2 with 10 to play. It wasn't just the Dellucci hit -- people forget Brian Jordan hustled his ass down the line to barely beat out a double play grounder that even allowed Dellucci the at-bat.

Texas then lost 5 out of the next 6 (at home) to put a kibosh on the season.

So all-in-all, really fun moment that I think was amplified by a classic Josh Lewin call... But really wasn't all that significant a game.
TV Casualty
AG
I still don't understand why the Rangers got rid of Josh Lewin.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Isn't Francisco the one that Teixeira got in a fight with because he kept getting beaned?
bigcat22
AG
TV Casualty said:

That was a Nolan move.
AggieDPT
AG
Vicente Padilla
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thought that was Vincent Padilla
bigcat22
AG
And speaking of Josh Lewin, since there isn't any baseball right now, he created a YouTube channel of him doing play by play of everyday activities. It's amazing

AgBQ-00
AG
Every time Padilla would plunk Tex it made me smile and chuckle.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think y'all are right. For some reason I got it in my head it was Francisco.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
TV Casualty said:

Because Nolan is an old curmudgeon
AgBQ-00
AG
Today's historic video...Nolan's 5000th. I remember watching on a small 13 inch b/w tv in my bedroom with my friends. Popcorn went everywhere

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
One thing I've always found fascinating is Nolan Ryan's history with Ricky Henderson.

He was Nolan's 5000tb K victim, the next to last out in his 6th no-hitter, and broke Lou Brock's all-time stolen base record the same day as Nolan's 7th no-hitter. Henderson proclaimed himself the greatest player ever that day (if I remember correctly) and Ryan threw his 7th no-no that night.

I remember sitting in the outfield bleacher in Arlington Stadium as a high schooler heckling Henderson whenever the A's were in town. He was pretty good natured about it but I always hated him.
Rossko
AG
Something in the tea leaves is saying there might be an announcement regarding the 2020 season tomorrow or Wednesday by the MLB office.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Rossko said:

Something in the tea leaves is saying there might be an announcement regarding the 2020 season tomorrow or Wednesday by the MLB office.
If they find a way to give me live sports to watch...
Schall 02
AG
[Insert praying hands emoji.]
Proposition Joe
Anything they announce at this point would best case be a "plan" for how they will handle the season IF they can get back on the field by XX date (agreement to play through November, idea of how the shortened schedule would work, etc...)

MLB isn't anywhere close to actually giving a realistic date to get back on the field. NBA will be the leading indicator for sports.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
And in all seriousness, how much more palatable would staying at home be if we could watch baseball? That makes me think they might find a way to make this happen.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
There was a crawl over the weekend on ESPN about playing in empty stadiums and neutral sites. I think they might make it work to give people something to do.
Seven Costanza
AG
Just looking around Baseball Reference trying to find the career spans of players that Nolan Ryan faced. The earliest I could find was Willie Mays, who started playing in 1951 (Ryan faced him in 1968), then Omar Vizquel, who finished playing in 2012 (Ryan faced him in 1993). Can any other player beat a 61-year spread?
Rossko
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Just looking around Baseball Reference trying to find the career spans of players that Nolan Ryan faced. The earliest I could find was Willie Mays, who started playing in 1951 (Ryan faced him in 1968), then Omar Vizquel, who finished playing in 2012 (Ryan faced him in 1993). Can any other player beat a 61-year spread?
What do Rickey Henderson or Julio Franco get?
Seven Costanza
AG
Looks like Jesse Orosco played against, but did not actually face, Willie McCovey (started in 1959) and Albert Pujols (still playing), so that's 61 again.
Seven Costanza
AG
Rossko said:

Seven Costanza said:

What do Rickey Henderson or Julio Franco get?
Henderson played against Jim Kaat (started in 1959) to Pujols (present), so again 61. I don't think Franco will get there.
Proposition Joe
Ranger #007 said:

There was a crawl over the weekend on ESPN about playing in empty stadiums and neutral sites. I think they might make it work to give people something to do.

They are tossing it around, but there's no timetable for anything yet.

Until NBA gives a date for starting back up, don't expect MLB to offer anything but "conversations".
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Baseball is the sport of social distancing. I don't agree that the NBA is the telltale of when sports starts again.
Proposition Joe
Ranger #007 said:

Baseball is the sport of social distancing. I don't agree that the NBA is the telltale of when sports starts again.

Social distancing among the players isn't going to be the issue. Everyone that is on the field/court of play will have been tested and tested again.

I mean, I'm not trying to crush anyone's hopes and you can believe what you want -- but if you're thinking MLB is going to have a specific/realistic timetable on when they are going to return then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Any date they throw-out will be equivalent to Trump's "by Easter" comments -- "it's what we're hoping for, but it's likely not gonna happen".

MLB isn't close.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
My understanding of what I saw is that they're looking at no spectators. I'm in Houston so I'm not going to be out there for opening day. I just want something new to watch. If they can get players on the field and cameras recording,
I'm good.
Proposition Joe
I think it would be great to have MLB to watch while holed up inside.

But it ain't close.

The President just extended social distancing guidelines until April 30th, and that's not an end date -- that's a "we'll see where we are then" date.

Virginia just set a shelter-in-place until June 10th.

It's not like Major League Baseball has some inside info on when this pandemic is going to be manageable that the President doesn't have.

MLB is in a "wait and see" mode, just like everybody else.
AgBQ-00
AG
The day Canseco got an Assist for the other team

Schall 02
AG
Happy would-be Opening Day
Baby Billy
AG
Zero reason why the MLB and PGA Tour can't continue by June 1.... at the very least without fans
Proposition Joe
June 1 may be a possibility, but to say there's zero reason is silly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.