***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,253 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Mike Piazza was a 60th(?) Round pick and a favor to his parents. You never know. But 2nd round? Geez, what the hell are they doing? Maybe they're planning to sign 100 UdFAs fo 20K or whatever it is. Who is making the decisions?
I don't know if Piazza is the poster child we want in finding diamonds in the rough.

Nobody could have predicted who would benefit the most from PEDs.

Say what you will about Piazza and PEDs (I believe he used them) but he's HOF. Many players that MAY have used PEDs and we're in his stratosphere still aren't in the HOF.
TXAggie2011
AG
One of the worst aspects of the steroid era is how many otherwise great players screwed up their legacies
DallasAg 94
Seven Costanza
AG
Oh no, I had no idea that they had changed the draft format this year.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I don't really understand why they did change it for this year. I too have wondered where these draftees are going to go for the next 8/9 months. Maybe if they have a season they'll go to some sort of instructional league.
Schall 02
AG
I presume the change this year has to do with the plan to eviscerate minor league baseball.

Sigh. Not much good news these days.
DallasAg 94
alvtimes
just a coupla days ago, I was excited to get a potential impact player at 14..... fast forward those coupla days....looks like a throw away draft!
Grapesoda2525
alvtimes said:

just a coupla days ago, I was excited to get a potential impact player at 14..... fast forward those coupla days....looks like a throw away draft!
We suck at drafting

We suck at trading our good players for prospects

We suck at enticing free agents to come here.

We suck at developing

Where the **** is the talent going to come from?

This ownership group needs to sell the team.....NOW.
Mr. White
We have Grubes and Morgan in the sound booth.
Blindside05
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

alvtimes said:

We suck at drafting

We suck at trading our good players for prospects

We suck at enticing free agents to come here.

We suck at developing

Where the **** is the talent going to come from?

This ownership group needs to sell the team.....NOW.

I think it's time for a change of scenery for the whole front office
Proposition Joe
The theory that we're pinching pennies because we're going to sell doesn't even really make sense either though... Wasting draft picks doesn't help the value of your franchise.
Trucker 96
Right. That is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Crazy level of short-sightedness, or they are that friggin desperate to save a very short term buck.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Shining example of why I can wait to get out of here. Whenever that may be
Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

Shining example of why I can wait to get out of here. Whenever that may be
We appreciate your hard work for us, but I guess Simpson and Davis managed to screw that up too.

Are we the only MLB team who hasn't refunded peoples money for tickets yet?
Mr Gigem
AG
I've heard that from a lot of people. It does sound like, though, we will be sending out an update to our policy in the next 1-2 weeks. We will have refund options for sure. I just don't know exactly what they are yet.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
What's disgusting is the Arlington taxpayer contributing $500 million to the building of this stadium and then these clowns do an obvious lay-down before game 1
KT 90
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

What's disgusting is the Arlington taxpayer contributing $500 million to the building of this stadium and then these clowns do an obvious lay-down before game 1

I think they have cash flow issues. Stadium not opening due to the shutdown did them in I assume. We low-balled on our draft picks, haven't offered any refunds, signs are pointing that direction. Even if the season starts up, it'll be with no fans (at least at the beginning), so they may still have cash flow issues. If we start making salary dump trades it'll be even more obvious.
Trucker 96
That is what I think as well. New stadium. Didn't open. And they're oil guys who have been taking a beating
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm actually now fully anticipating that we will be at least 50% capacity with fans when games start. We are going to follow Gov. Abbott's guidelines.
KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

I'm actually now fully anticipating that we will be at least 50% capacity with fans when games start. We are going to follow Gov. Abbott's guidelines.
I haven't been following that closely, but haven't the MLB proposals been for no fans, at least at the beginning. I know Gov. Abbot has allowed for pro sports attendance, but if MLB opts for no fans, then Abbott's guidelines don't matter. I'm not sure how many states have opened up as much as Texas has, at least as far as pro sports go. Florida has, maybe some others.

DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
I would think MLB has no authority to overrule the Governor's decision. It sucks that other states have not opened up as much, but that shouldn't matter. MLB doesn't do any revenue sharing except for the postseason.

Maybe teams in states that haven't opened up as much should lobby their Governor to open their state up more.
BMX Bandit
AccidentProne said:

I'm actually now fully anticipating that we will be at least 50% capacity with fans when games start. We are going to follow Gov. Abbott's guidelines.I

I would think MLB has no authority to overrule the Governor's decision. It sucks that other states have not opened up as much, but that shouldn't matter. MLB doesn't do any revenue sharing except for the postseason.

Maybe teams in states that haven't opened up as much should lobby their Governor to open their state up more.
If MLB decides that no teams will have fans, then there is nothing any governor can do about it.

and Abbott said we could have MLB baseball, but his actual order says otherwise "For purposes of this executive order, facilities with retractable roofs are considered indoor facilities, whether the roof is opened or closed;"
TXAggie2011
AG
AccidentProne said:

I'm not sure MLB would have to overrule anything; I'm not aware of any reason the governor has the power to tell someone they have to allow fans inside a stadium.

Governments certainly have health and safety powers that allow them to limit attendance/capacity in a stadium. I'm not sure how that power could go in the opposite direction.
Mr Gigem
AG
BMX Bandit said:

AccidentProne said:

I'm actually now fully anticipating that we will be at least 50% capacity with fans when games start. We are going to follow Gov. Abbott's guidelines.I

If MLB decides that no teams will have fans, then there is nothing any governor can do about it.

and Abbott said we could have MLB baseball, but his actual order says otherwise "For purposes of this executive order, facilities with retractable roofs are considered indoor facilities, whether the roof is opened or closed;"

Very interesting. I actually didn't know that. I'll have to pass that up the ladder
Mr Gigem
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

AccidentProne said:

I'm not sure MLB would have to overrule anything; I'm not aware of any reason the governor has the power to tell someone they have to allow fans inside a stadium.

Governments certainly have health and safety powers that allow them to limit attendance/capacity in a stadium. I'm not sure how that power could go in the opposite direction.
I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight
Trucker 96
Businesses decide how they want to operate within the parameters of what the state allows. So if MLB wants to have no fans in spite of a state willing to allow more, no fans it will be
Mr Gigem
AG
AccidentProne said:

BMX Bandit said:

AccidentProne said:

Very interesting. I actually didn't know that. I'll have to pass that up the ladder
Follow up...

Here is an article from June 3

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/06/03/gov-greg-abbott-says-professional-collegiate-stadiums-in-texas-can-operate-at-50-capacity/

Quote:

"Stadiums, whether it be where the Mavericks play or the Texas Rangers play or the Dallas Cowboys play, will be able to seat [at] 50% capacity," Abbott told KDFW-TV in Dallas late Wednesday.
BMX Bandit
That's my point. Abbot said that, but that's not what his order said.

(I believe by the time it matters, the order will be fixed)
Mr Gigem
AG
BMX Bandit said:

That's my point. Abbot said that, but that's not what his order said.
All I know is I know nothing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.