***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,872 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rossko said:

AccidentProne said:

Rossko said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I'm meaning more the contrast. DARK BRIGHT DARK BRIGHT
Do you know how grass works when mowed in different directions? I was 100% against turf but I haven't seen a picture yet that makes the new field look horrible. Let's wait until it's complete and we can see it live or on TV before complaining.
The lines are permanent. No amount of mowing with change the design.

With that said, it isn't completely filled in yet with all the organics. That, and how much they water it, could affect how bright or how dark it looks.
I don't expect anyone to be mowing turf. My comment was geared towards the derisiveness of the contrasting stripes. When you mow real grass in different directions and use the weight behind the mower, you get contrasting stripes. I don't know why anyone is complaining about them.
That's my fault. Shouldn't have used the word mowing. Obviously they aren't going to mow the turf
Proposition Joe
It'll be closed 70%+ of the season.
sburg2007
Turfgrass management is what I do and I have an understanding to why they installed synthetic. That said, it'll never be close enough to Bermuda for my liking. Simply just won't happen for me. Baseball, football, and soccer are meant to be played on grass. The end. With that said, the organization can do whatever they feel is right. It's not my money being spent. I'll still go when I'm given tickets and still not spend any money at outrageously priced concessions. Also, YouTubetv and fox sw parent company are in a pissing contest so I won't be watching on tv either.
Super Aggie 64
AG
YouTube TV dropping FSSW on 2/29. Need to find another service to watch the Rangers, Mavs, and Stars.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
CDowsk09 said:

YouTube TV dropping FSSW on 2/29. Need to find another service to watch the Rangers, Mavs, and Stars.

Well that sucks. Might have to switch off of YouTubeTV.
Jimtim1216
S
Yea, I'm on Youtube TV also, so looks like I'll have to switch. Anyone have any recommendations?
Kyle98
AG
Damn, and I just switched to YTTV when PSVue shut down...
Ken Adams
AG
I'll probably check out a Hulu free trial. I see FSSW listed when I enter my zip (Dallas) on their website.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just read an article that only Hulu and AT&T Now still have the regional channels. They don't have an option to get then without a provider.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PatAg said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I'm excited about the new park. Means my wife and I will be physically able to go to games after May. When we went to summer games day or night in the old park she had at least a week recovery from flare ups due to heat and sun.
Ultimately, thats what it comes down to when im thinking about how I feel about the new stadium
I don't get why people miss the old one.

I mean yeah...... it looked nice, but the weather ruined the fun most of the time. I've never been to a rangers home game in august or September because of the weather. I'm looking forward to going to games in August for the first time ever.
The trick to that was to be in your 20s and drink heavily before the game starts with your friends. THen you dont care about being soaked with sweat by the 2nd inning.
GrapevineAg
AG
I have Sling and YouTubeTV, and I only got YouTube for the Stars games after Sling dropped FSSW. Guess I'll have to try Hulu.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Is MLBTV worth it or will you be blocked out?
sburg2007
You'll be blacked out in Texas, Oklahoma and I believe Louisiana
Schall 02
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Is MLBTV worth it or will you be blocked out?

It is if you live out of market, but you'd likely be blacked out without some gymnastics.
gigem1223
Nice game today for Odor, went 3-3 with a grand slam in the first. Hopefully the work he put in in the offseason gets him back to pre-contract Odor.
bigcat22
AG
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure Odor's slam today was a good thing for him. Spring Training is when most pitchers work on throwing a lot of fastballs and hitting spots, not so much on the chess match of each specific at bat. Similarly, a lot of hitters use this time to work on different things, like driving the ball to the opposite side of the field. I'm worried that if Odor is just going to be sitting on fastball and trying to go
yard every at bat in spring training, he will get overly confident and that approach will carry over to the season and have similar results to last season. Obviously it's early, but just my $.02.
TV Casualty
AG
AccidentProne said:

Also, I heard an interview with JD that we are going to try and keep the roof open more often. The way we would do this is to keep it closed during the day and then open it right before the game starts. That way the seats and the concrete wouldn't have been baking in the heat all day, and that cool air from the AC will continue to circulate even with the roof open.

I hope they do things like that to keep it open as much as possible. I have a feeling though that the first time a season ticket holder complains about the heat that the roof will be closed more often.
AgsWin2011
AG
Don't disagree with your assessment at all but I'd definitely rather him be over confident than scared at the plate.
gigem1223
bigcat22 said:

Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure Odor's slam today was a good thing for him. Spring Training is when most pitchers work on throwing a lot of fastballs and hitting spots, not so much on the chess match of each specific at bat. Similarly, a lot of hitters use this time to work on different things, like driving the ball to the opposite side of the field. I'm worried that if Odor is just going to be sitting on fastball and trying to go
yard every at bat in spring training, he will get overly confident and that approach will carry over to the season and have similar results to last season. Obviously it's early, but just my $.02.

I mean he worked a 3-1 count, of course he's going to expect a fastball and drive it deep. He went 3-3 with 1 homer.
investorAg83
AG
bigcat22 said:

He's played in 3 games and has a hit in each. He lined an outside pitch to left with nobody on base. He's hit a 2 run triple on a ball in the heart of the plate. And every hit yesterday was on pitches over the heart of the plate that he hit out, pulled a double to right and a ground ball up the middle.

I think he's doing just fine so far.
AgsWin2011
AG
I saw the stat yesterday that Odor has the 2nd most home runs by a 2nd baseman since 2016 only behind Brian Dozier (Twins). Granted his average has been sub-par, he's at least producing some runs. If he can bat around .275 this year and maintain the power, it will be a great year for him. If he hovers around .200 I say send him down and let Santana take the starting 2nd base roll until he gets called back up.
Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

If you've followed the rangers consistently over the last five years, you'd know that Odor is probably one of the best performing players in MLB every single spring.

The thing I've noticed about Odor is that he crushes bad pitchers, but he really struggles against decent to good ones. His numbers against the Astros the last few years are non existent.

I wouldn't celebrate anything Odor does this spring or anything Joey gallo, Santana, or Calhoun does either. The spring is all about " getting ready" for those guys. How they do in the next 25 days or so doesn't really matter at all. They will all be on the roster and starting opening day anyways. A lot of their hits will be off guys who will be sacking groceries or fixing cars by late March.

Spring training results only matter for pitchers and hitters trying to make the team or the young / up and coming guys further down in the minor league system.
toucan82
I'm pretty sure Odor would have the same approach regardless of how well it worked during Spring training. Or how well it worked in actual games.
AggieDPT
AG
Whether Odor does well or not, he's going to be criticized. If he hits .400 then it's well he always does well in the spring. If he hits .100 then it's well he sucks and here's more of the same.

He needs to show up this year so why not just be hopeful this is a good sign?
Chipotlemonger
AG
This season just going to be a lot of Odor talk again?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

This season just going to be a lot of Odor talk again?

No kidding. Can we add that to the objection drop down? It's worse than Astro interlopers.
bigcat22
AG
For any card collectors this is a real steal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THREE-PACK-Funny-Novelty-Baseball-Card-Houston-Astros-Trash-Can-Cheating-Scandal-/283793546263
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It was posted on the Nerdery thread that YouTube TV and Sinclair have agreed to keep the regional networks on while they negotiate. There must have been some legit cancellations right out of the box.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
Ffs
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I guess we just need to start flagging them. It's predominantly these two having the same conversation over and over and over.
Trucker 96
Have you two fknuts ever heard of the phrase "agree to disagree"? Clearly not. The amount of time you two have completely wasted trying to convince a brick wall is incredible. I get the feeling you both can be found somewhere on the spectrum
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
No. One. Cares.
My Dad Earl
AG
Good grief.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.