***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,730 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My day off. I could have walked over there with you.
AgBQ-00
AG
I think it is looking really good
TheAngelFlight
Quote:

Would you guys complaining about the stripes like to revisit your premature opinions now that the field is almost installed?
It still doesn't look natura, even in your photo in which everything looks brighter and distorted due to the glare. There's a particular sheen and particular raked look to artificial stuff and its still evident in all of the photos.

I don't particularly care, but my eyes have revisited the subject and I still see an unnatural looking field.
TheAngelFlight
I'll have the opportunity next week to get a first hand look, as well, so I'll revisit it again at that point.
TheAngelFlight
Its just an unremarkable stadium.

The closest remarkable aspect of the place are the arches in left field, which have a nice ominous, mighty feeling to them in the right light. They lack the intricacy of the old place, but the simplicity perhaps adds to the mighty-ness when viewed from across the park.

Weather aside for a moment, the Ballpark was a very pleasant place to visit even when the baseball was bad because all the little things that caught your eye.

The bas-reliefs on the outside of the park, the intricate reversed-aqueduct arches, Greene's hill and the kids competing for a home run ball, the old-style center field scoreboard complete with the Texas outline, the dramatic split home run porch and the wonder if a guy could jack one to the second deck, the white steel overhangs and matching center field building, the prominence of the red Texas stone, etc...

There's no imagination and there's nothing elegant about the new place.
wbt5845
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

The closest remarkable aspect of the place are the arches in left field, which have a nice ominous, mighty feeling to them in the right light. They lack the intricacy of the old place, but the simplicity perhaps adds to the mighty-ness when viewed from across the park.

Weather aside for a moment, the Ballpark was a very pleasant place to visit even when the baseball was bad because all the little things that caught your eye.

The bas-reliefs on the outside of the park, the intricate reversed-aqueduct arches, Greene's hill and the kids competing for a home run ball, the old-style center field scoreboard complete with the Texas outline, the dramatic split home run porch and the wonder if a guy could jack one to the second deck, the white steel overhangs and matching center field building, the prominence of the red Texas stone, etc...

Thankfully, it's a baseball stadium - not an art museum.
Grapesoda2525
TheAngelFlight said:

The one big flaw in your analysis is you could never put the weather aside.

Weather was always a factor at the old park. We had rain outs, we had games where it felt like the temperature was 110 degrees.

People just don't understand how many fans stayed away because of the Texas heat.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Looks like Santana will be our primary CF.

At the end of the day, you want your best players in the lineup, and playing with the most amount of certainty.

Good move.

I had a hard time seeing Solak being the primary CF, at least at the start of the season. He's been an infielder and corner outfielder up to this point, he would be too raw defensively to put in CF on a daily basis. Maybe he can grow into the spot with more time. Still would like to see him get some fairly regular at bats though, he looked good during his late season audition. Between 1B-2b-of-dh hopefully we can get that done.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

The one big flaw in your analysis is you could never put the weather aside.

Weather was always a factor at the old park. We had rain outs, we had games where it felt like the temperature was 110 degrees.

People just don't understand how many fans stayed away because of the Texas heat.
And the flaw in your analysis is as follows: Building a stadium with a roof doesn't preclude doing the rest of it well.
Trucker 96
AccidentProne said:

Some of y'all are impossible. It's a shame
It's a travesty that they didn't try to mimic the decor of the temple across the street. It's a beauty and that could have been easily done.
Mr Gigem
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

AccidentProne said:

Some of y'all are impossible. It's a shame
It's a travesty that they didn't try to mimic the decor of the temple across the street. It's a beauty and that could have been easily done.
There are literally areas inside Globe Life Field that pay homage to the old ballpark
Proposition Joe
Yup... The stadium was beautiful if the weather was perfect.

On most days it was "ok, lets hurry this pitching change along I'm starting to stick to my seat", or "do we want to drive in from Plano with a 50% chance of rain tonight?".

I think they could have done a lot better job with the park... But at the end of the day I'll take the air-conditioning. Glad we have it, but I certainly don't think it's a stadium to brag about where-as the last one was.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Yup... The stadium was beautiful if the weather was perfect.

On most days it was "ok, lets hurry this pitching change along I'm starting to stick to my seat", or "do we want to drive in from Plano with a 50% chance of rain tonight?".

I think they could have done a lot better job with the park... But at the end of the day I'll take the air-conditioning. Glad we have it, but I certainly don't think it's a stadium to brag about where-as the last one was.
Even the hardcore old ballpark loyalists have to admit the first hour or so of nearly every game was impacted because of the weather.
TheAngelFlight
Grapesoda2525 said:

Even the hardcore old ballpark loyalists have to admit the first hour or so of nearly every game was impacted because of the weather.
You seem to have gotten yourself deeply stuck in a false dichotomy where the choices are play in a unique open-air ballpark or play in a generic roofed ballpark.
GrapevineAg
AG
Baseball has always been impacted by the weather, and it gives the game variety and depth; playing indoors makes it more sterile. The impact on attendance from eliminating the elements remains to be seen - it's a $1.1B gamble and I hope they're right.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Houston area is losing FSSW on YouTube TV after all. Guess I get to move to Hulu TV later this month.
CTL
AG
Looks like they removed the Bengie & Neftali statue today. Must be moving it to a different side of the stadium?
DeangeloVickers
AG
There is a reason all four teams in TX and Florida have indoor stadiums
investorAg83
AG
I swear this thread is getting worse than the offseason Aggie football threads. The first game in the new stadium can't get here soon enough.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Promotion schedule was published last night. Single game tickets go on sale this morning
aggietony2010
AG
investorAg83 said:

I swear this thread is getting worse than the offseason Aggie football threads. The first game in the new stadium can't get here soon enough.

You think it will end then? Once we play in the new stadium, some player (Ranger or opponent) will make a comment about the turf not quite being like grass and the season thread will look like peak off-season despite it being April.
Mr Gigem
AG
AccidentProne said:

Promotion schedule was published last night. Single game tickets go on sale this morning
The coupon code will be active Monday. Code is just texags
wbt5845
AG
For those who say the park is cold and antiseptic or doesn't pay homage to the old park...

You haven't even stepped foot into the place yet. As AP said - there are straight up homages to the old park throughout the new one. And there are all sorts of new little details that are unique. Did you know there's a rocking chair section in upper left field? Did you know there are still All You Can Eat seats in upper right field? Did you know there are wider seats throughout the park to make everyone more comfortable? Yes, the park has more sections geared towards the rich people because it HAS to - the club builds itself into a competitive disadvantage doing otherwise. Does the roof look like a warehouse roof? Yes - but no one can see that from within the park.

This is my last post on the matter. Those who want to groan and complain are just whiners who will will whine no matter what. And the whiners disappeared from June to September at the old joint while I sweated my ass off out there with all sorts of architectural gems baking about me. Just remember that when you whine here about the new stadium, we no longer will reply to you - just chuckle and ignore you because you're just showing ignorance.
Proposition Joe
So if you don't love it, you're a whiner?
TDub
AG
JUST GOT MY TICKETS TO THE 2ND GAME. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOO
AgBQ-00
AG
Just got tickets for Friday apr 3rd. Really excited. Have never used the ballpark app before. How long does it normally take for tickets to show up in the "wallet"
GrapevineAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

For those who say the park is cold and antiseptic or doesn't pay homage to the old park...

You haven't even stepped foot into the place yet. As AP said - there are straight up homages to the old park throughout the new one. And there are all sorts of new little details that are unique. Did you know there's a rocking chair section in upper left field? Did you know there are still All You Can Eat seats in upper right field? Did you know there are wider seats throughout the park to make everyone more comfortable? Yes, the park has more sections geared towards the rich people because it HAS to - the club builds itself into a competitive disadvantage doing otherwise. Does the roof look like a warehouse roof? Yes - but no one can see that from within the park.

This is my last post on the matter. Those who want to groan and complain are just whiners who will will whine no matter what. And the whiners disappeared from June to September at the old joint while I sweated my ass off out there with all sorts of architectural gems baking about me. Just remember that when you whine here about the new stadium, we no longer will reply to you - just chuckle and ignore you because you're just showing ignorance.
Is the wind blowing out to left field today? Is the outfield still damp from the rain earlier? Will they play two tomorrow to make up for the rain out? You can decorate the new park all you want, but an indoor stadium is more "antiseptic" because it eliminates those elements from the game. Part of my enjoyment of going to a game is to sit outside under a blue sky with a beer in my hand and relax and watch grown men play a boy's game. If none of that matters to you, fine. If you'd rather trade some parts of the game to be more comfortable, fine. But don't call me ignorant because I think the game will be missing some things. I will go to a few games this year to see what it's like, but having been to games in domes and convertible stadiums in the past, my expectations are low. I hope I'm impressed and surprised.
TDub
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
They have the roof open today, and it looks so majestic with the sun shining down on the field
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
PatAg
AG
Hopefully they can find a way to have it open as much as possible throughout the year. Like someone else said, I'm waiting til I see it in person, or at least finished, before I truly judge it.
The one thing to me that stands out as looking off, is just something about the color combination of the seat/concrete, but that could be because the stone is brand new and will naturally darken.
TXAggie2011
AG
wbt5845 said:

Don't hurt yourself there, Tootsie. You won't be able to go to opening day.
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

Hopefully they can find a way to have it open as much as possible throughout the year. Like someone else said, I'm waiting til I see it in person, or at least finished, before I truly judge it.
The one thing to me that stands out as looking off, is just something about the color combination of the seat/concrete, but that could be because the stone is brand new and will naturally darken.
Should be closed every day June - early September.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.