***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,645 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

AccidentProne said:

I would bet that we have a determination by mid-June if there will be a season at all in 2020. Best case scenario I see is baseball will be played at some point, but there won't be any fans. At that point, we will likely just decide to go ahead and start renewals and people will just roll their money over to 2021
If MLB waits until mid-June to decide, IMO, it will have been too late.

Fans will make their decision long-before mid-June. A mid-June decision means what? July... mid-July for a season opener?

I am making my summer plans right now. My July and August will be decided in weeks... if not days.

If there is no 2020 season... the Rangers are going to have some big problems.
Of course a report came out minutes after I posted this that MLB is hoping to have a plan sent out to the players union by mid-May
DeangeloVickers
AG
What an opportunity for MLB to get eyes on their product... June 15 should be goal
Proposition Joe
The key issue is Rangers still want Opening Day 2020. There's a handful of teams that have conceded March/April/May, but Texas and a few others are still telling people to hold onto their Opening Day ticket for "new Opening Day".

So that's why they are trying to drag it out. If they can get an Opening Day 2020, then you can pitch that to season ticket holders as a reason to not get a refund, keep their tickets and rollover the excess into 2021.

Likewise, many people purchased season tickets because they wanted to be there the first season in the new ballpark. If you allow refunds, and come August or so we are allowed to have fans in the stands and there's a "2020 Opening Day", then suddenly a bit of the shine comes off of that 2021 Opening Day and you're going to have some people decide not to invest in 2021 the money they were willing to invest in 2020. A lot more people if Texas doesn't perform well in the shortened-season.

Since all of this revolves around Opening Day, they should simply split it off from the 2020 season right now and offer the following:

1) Willing to rollover March/April/May into 2021 credits, keep access to 2020 "new" OD - 10% bonus.
2) 100% Refund of March/April/May, no access to "new" OD

If you choose Option 2, you get your money back and if there's games in June/July/August/Sept then you have your remaining season tickets, but that first game back (new OD) is no longer part of your package and you will have to purchase separately.
DallasAg 94
duck79
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

AccidentProne said:

Ownership has funded $800 million and the city of Arlington has funded $500 million, and now there are zero revenues coming in. That makes it tough to just start offering refunds.
I find it hard to believe there is zero revenues. Technically speaking, every STH has provided revenue, and if that is 10K STHs, that's what 40% of the ticket revenue?!

I would find it hard to believe that the Rangers are not collecting (or haven't collected) revenue from advertising and marketing at the stadium. Signage, contracts, etc.

I can tell you that we signed a new sponsorship with the team this year and we have not been asked to make a payment on that yet.
Mr Gigem
AG
Trust me when I say I'm very conflicted with the current direction of this front office. There is extreme greed all the way up the ladder. As a human being, I don't agree with it. As a rep, however, I am basically forced to. I may be moving on soon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's pretty resounding! What a shame for us fans that the organization is like that.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
We all appreciate you here and know that you are just doing your job. We can read through the company line BS when we need to
Schall 02
AG
A friend of a friend is Rockies general counsel. And Denver is spectacular. Just saying...
Trucker 96
Rough time to be tied to ownership in a lot of industries, but especially oil. Between building a new stadium they cant use, the economy in general, and ownership in oil, this is the cluster**** trifecta
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Rough time to be tied to ownership in a lot of industries, but especially oil. Between building a new stadium they cant use, the economy in general, and ownership in oil, this is the cluster**** trifecta
We need new ownership and dare I say a new front office in general.

The Odor cronyism should be unforgivable. He wouldn't start on the vast majority of MLB teams after how badly he played over such a long period of time.

He got lucky that Banny was a meathead and odor was banny's favorite player then last year woodward was the aww shucks nice guy who didn't want to rock the boat.
wbt5845
AG
I feel fairly certain that the issues with Odor can be tied directly back to ownership. It doesn't have anything to do with people "liking" him or loving the fact he punched a guy. I'm sure AP can tell you - this club has no soft fuzzy place in which to pay guys who are not producing.

To wit - the club was still carrying a lot dead money in 2019 - $9 MM to Fielder, $7 MM to Smyly, $3.3 MM to Cabrera, etc - it was well over $30 MM total. I'm thinking the ownership said "we do create any more dead money no no no". To straight up punt on someone as young as Odor - or to pay for him to play for someone else - I'm guessing was the last thing ownership wanted.

So you keep rolling his sorry ass out there, seeing if he can get his mojo back. You weren't going to win a pennant anyway, so why not? And as DallasAg94 has pointed out - there were aspects of his game that were productive.

I can't blame them. But the good news - 2020 only has the $9 MM Fielder money - and this is the last year of him. Odor is $9 MM this year, $12 MM for the next two, and then a club option. I think that's why you saw stories this spring about Odor having to earn his job - the team doesn't HAVE to play him anymore.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

I feel fairly certain that the issues with Odor can be tied directly back to ownership. It doesn't have anything to do with people "liking" him or loving the fact he punched a guy. I'm sure AP can tell you - this club has no soft fuzzy place in which to pay guys who are not producing.

To wit - the club was still carrying a lot dead money in 2019 - $9 MM to Fielder, $7 MM to Smyly, $3.3 MM to Cabrera, etc - it was well over $30 MM total. I'm thinking the ownership said "we do create any more dead money no no no". To straight up punt on someone as young as Odor - or to pay for him to play for someone else - I'm guessing was the last thing ownership wanted.

So you keep rolling his sorry ass out there, seeing if he can get his mojo back. You weren't going to win a pennant anyway, so why not? And as DallasAg94 has pointed out - there were aspects of his game that were productive.

I can't blame them. But the good news - 2020 only has the $9 MM Fielder money - and this is the last year of him. Odor is $9 MM this year, $12 MM for the next two, and then a club option. I think that's why you saw stories this spring about Odor having to earn his job - the team doesn't HAVE to play him anymore.
It might come as a shock to dallasag, but I think if you polled the rangers fan base, most of them would want h8, to be benched or moved to another team.

Ranger fans in general don't want to see him out there every single day. It's an embarrassment.

Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

It just killed me to see a guy at the highest level babied and protected by a team at the highest level of the game.

Most people in the real world have to work very hard and actually be productive to keep their jobs. Ive accepted that he's getting paid no matter what, I just didn't want to see that joker out there every game.
TV Casualty
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

It just killed me to see a guy at the highest level babied and protected by a team at the highest level of the game.

Most people in the real world have to work very hard and actually be productive to keep their jobs. Ive accepted that he's getting paid no matter what, I just didn't want to see that joker out there every game.

Once he was given that contract it was all over. He was always going to be given a lot of rope after that.
Grapesoda2525
TV Casualty said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

Once he was given that contract it was all over. He was always going to be given a lot of rope after that.
I honestly don't think I've seen a professional athlete been given more rope than odor has been given. Anywhere.

The guy was statistically the worst regular player in mlb several of the last few seasons.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rougned Odor is the result of a bargain hunting philosophy.

You jump aggressively on a young guy because you're too afraid he'll become sort of expensive, sometimes you get a Rougned Odor.

Often, teams eventually move the contract or move the player into a lesser role, but when you're actively keeping the payroll lower, $7 to 12 million a year becomes "too expensive" to platoon.
DallasAg 94
toucan82
I've missed Odor talk so much
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I honestly don't think I've seen a professional athlete been given more rope than odor has been given. Anywhere.

The guy was statistically the worst regular player in mlb several of the last few seasons.
Kinda hard to say that about a guy with a WAR of 0.0 in 2019.

He certainly under performed and wasn't worth what he was paid. But worst in MLB?

haha - lowest WAR in MLB last year was Lewis Brinson, followed by Ian Desmond. Colorado paid Ian Desmond $15 MM to be much worse. Does Jon Daniels get kudos for letting that guy go?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Oh look. It's the same debate. Again.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Kinda hard to say that about a guy with a WAR of 0.0 in 2019.

He certainly under performed and wasn't worth what he was paid. But worst in MLB?

haha - lowest WAR in MLB last year was Lewis Brinson, followed by Ian Desmond. Colorado paid Ian Desmond $15 MM to be much worse. Does Jon Daniels get kudos for letting that guy go?

Umm, those are both former Rangers. Is it good that we let them both go, or bad that they were both at one time key members of the organization that have fallen on hard times? I'm going with good
wbt5845
AG
Brinson was traded pretty early on - he's still very young so maybe he'll be a player. We did get some forgettable play from Jonathan Lucroy for him, though.

I suppose I should stop trying to explain the economics behind Odor's playing time. Some people here are simply incapable of understanding it. It makes a lot more sense, to some, to just assume he's someone's favorite and they are willing to lessen the team's chances of winning just because they like seeing him out there. That seems a lot more logical.
option short side
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

We need new ownership and dare I say a new front office in general.

The Odor cronyism should be unforgivable. He wouldn't start on the vast majority of MLB teams after how badly he played over such a long period of time.

He got lucky that Banny was a meathead and odor was banny's favorite player then last year woodward was the aww shucks nice guy who didn't want to rock the boat.
I'm not really an odor fan but seriously, what has he done to you?
PatAg
AG
He's the same guy that overreacts during a game, and from game to game. Emotions rule his world.

I would love to play poker against him, he would tilt himself off the face of the Earth on his first bad beat.
Schall 02
AG
MLB finalizing proposal to begin 2020 season in early July - Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/05/09/mlb-2020-regular-season-early-july-coronavirus-proposal-80-games
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
I'm fairly certain most season ticket holders know exactly what the broadcast product is like. Any realization that the TV broadcast is an adequate (or better) replacement was starting to happen before Covid.

But yes the fear that this may speed up the transition is why most teams (baseball and otherwise) are offering incentives to keep the season ticket money with the team until 2021 -- yeah the token interest percentage is nice, but in the end they know that they are going to have less season ticket holders if they count on people "renewing again".
Trucker 96
No fans is better than no baseball. The longer it's away completely, the more you risk the fringe fan finding better things to do and never coming back - losing ratings that drive tv revenue and eventual ticket sales. The STH will be back
wbt5845
AG
MLB owners approve proposal going to players union. Season starts around July 4th. 81 games, so I ought to have 21 regular season games in my 1/2 season ticket package.

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/ap-source-mlb-owners-approve-plan-to-start-season-around-july-4th/507-1730a01b-c6c5-4918-b2ca-669cffa2157d
Quincey P. Morris
AG
You're assuming that it starts with fans and that they don't limit the number of fans when they do start having them.
wbt5845
AG
Ranger #007 said:

You're assuming that it starts with fans and that they don't limit the number of fans when they do start having them.
Yes, I am.

Yes. I am.
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Got a couple cards in the mail today. Swapped them in for some cards in my Rangers and Nolan displays.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.