***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,761 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
South Platte
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ed Gelton said:

**** Pillar and **** Donaldson. Don't want either of those ass holes on the Rangers
If they can help us win, I don't care who we sign. I respect the fact that those guys stood up for their teammate, no matter how big of a tool he was. Bautista had been the franchise's best player over the past 20 years. Doesn't mean they can't do the same for us.

And yes, I fully remember Pillar acting like a WWE wrestler during the scrum. The only thing he was missing was the folding chair.
BryanAggie2013
AG
Looks like it's fully funded, are overages going toward non-band student's debts? Would love to help out just not sure how Facebook donations work once the goal is hit!
Mr Gigem
AG
It was fully funded in 6 hours!

It was originally created for her band students, but since it is fully funded, any additional donations we get will go towards other students in her school with the same situation.

Some people have asked about other methods of donating. I can accept Venmo, and any donations I get I will send straight to the Facebook page on your behalf

My username is Josh-Chance-1
BryanAggie2013
AG
Sent! What an awesome cause for her birthday!
Mr Gigem
AG
Thank you so much! Very generous
Rossko
AG
Keep in mind that any Arenado deal could involve Arenado waiving his opt-out so if he is dealt he may not be able to opt out in 2 years. That could be factored in by the acquiring team offering a bigger package in exchange for getting money back or getting a concession like waiving the opt out.

Maikel Franco to the Royals so once less option however small the likelihood.
wbt5845
AG
For my first post back from an involuntary "vacation", thought I'd show y'all how my new seats are coming along.

wbt5845
AG
1974 Ten Cent Beer Night Riot in Cleveland

DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
I have to assume Odor's approach at the plate is exactly what the Rangers want him to do. They must tell him to get at least 3 mighty swings from the heels in every at bat. Even if the pitcher rolls it up there, he's supposed to swing at it.

That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

I have to assume Odor's approach at the plate is exactly what the Rangers want him to do. They must tell him to get at least 3 mighty swings from the heels in every at bat. Even if the pitcher rolls it up there, he's supposed to swing at it.

That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
One would think that a major league hitter would have a "2 strike approach". He definitely doesn't have one tho.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Accident Prone - What's up with the season ticket parking? Still not under my account.
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

Accident Prone - What's up with the season ticket parking? Still not under my account.

Not created in our ticket system yet. I would expect it to be added in January
Doctor51
AG
When do single game tickets go on sale?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Damn this is a good deal

investorAg83
AG
The white Sox have made some stellar moves in the offseason so far.
KT 90
AG

Mr Gigem
AG
Doctor51 said:

When do single game tickets go on sale?

2/28
94chem
investorAg83 said:

The white Sox have made some stellar moves in the offseason so far.

They've been on the rise, even before the Sale and Frazier moves. It was just hard to see last season, because with so much stratification in the AL, the mid-pack teams really had little incentive to win games. CWS, LAA, and Texas were all legit .500 teams last season. None of them cared enough to actually do it.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Sizing up the Castellanos market
Dec. 27: MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi considers the Rangers to be the most prominent team in the Castellanos race, with the Giants, Reds and the Cubs also in the mix.
Texas has filled out its rotation by trading for Corey Kluber and signing Kyle Gibson and Jordan Lyles, but the club swung and missed on Anthony Rendon, losing him to the American League West-rival Angels. As a result, the Rangers are still in the hunt for a bat.
"When you think about what they were able to do there with the pitching side of things, having some pretty low-cost guys that have filled out the rotation there ... now that frees up all the big-time money for the bat," Morosi said on MLB Network's "Hot Stove" program. "They're still pursuing that. And the fact that they did not bring in Rendon I believe has allowed them to make this play for Castellanos."
Castellanos is one of the top free agents remaining on the market, along with third baseman Josh Donaldson and fellow outfielder Marcell Ozuna.
Texas was connected to Donaldson after Rendon signed with the Angels, but it reportedly was unwilling to go to four years for the 34-year-old.
If the Rangers do sign the 27-year-old Castellanos, they could rotate him, Shin-Soo Choo, Joey Gallo and Willie Calhoun at designated hitter and the corner-outfield spots. Castellanos has experience at the hot corner as well, and he reportedly has made it known he's willing to play first base.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Would that fill a hole or just create another problem?

Unless he plays 3B, we have Calhoun, Solak, Choo, Guzman, Gallo, et al.

Being a RH bat, I'd say he fills a hole. He's versatile enough to play 3b/1b/OF/DH, although I don't think he is a plus defender at any of those positions. But we'd be getting him for his bat, and hoping for adequate defense I assume.

I have no idea if we'd try to park him at one position or move him around. Based upon the current roster makeup, I could see us shuffling him between 1b and 3b, with some time at DH as well. i.e. against RH starters put Guzman at 1b and Castellanos at 3b; against LH starts go with Castellanos at 1b and Solak at 3b (or possibly IKF or Santana at 3b as well if Castellanos is at 1b).

I'll have to see if any of the beats have written more on this later tonight or tomorrow, but I haven't seen any potential position speculation should we get him signed.

DallasAg 94
Aggie_3
Pretty quiet here
Quincey P. Morris
AG
About the only piece of notable news lately has been an article saying not to count the Rangers put on Donaldson, but as the runs completely contrary to what has been said on that subject it sounds more like a reporter throwing out some other teams to sound like he knows more than he does.
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

About the only piece of notable news lately has been an article saying not to count the Rangers put on Donaldson, but as the runs completely contrary to what has been said on that subject it sounds more like a reporter throwing out some other teams to sound like he knows more than he does.

Supposedly Donaldson has a four year, $100 million offer on the table (Twins I believe), and Rangers were out on anything beyond three years.

It's been quiet lately, holidays probably have something to do with that. Was a recent article that the Rangers were kicking the tires on a one year deal for Todd Frazier to fill in at 3B. I'd be ok with that, would at least be an upgrade from 2019 and buy some time for Jung/Apostel to see if they continue to progress in the minors and also would provide some RH power (but quite a few strikeouts). Also was a recent article on possibly signing Ozuna (was with St. Louis last year) for the OF. Again he'd be a RH bat, but not really a CF'er which is what we are needing.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just watched Fastball again. Love that documentary. Damned near teared up again at the part about Nolan's last game.

If you haven't seen it, you should.
Schall 02
AG
Agreed 100%
Mr Gigem
AG
How do we feel about Castellanos at 1B and Todd Frazier at 3B?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I like Nicholas Castellanos....hes been a good bat and durable and only 27 YO

I feel like you count on: .285 27 HR and 80 RBIs

Todd Frazier??!?!
Ugh...not a fan...33YO with a really poor average...

KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

How do we feel about Castellanos at 1B and Todd Frazier at 3B?

I'd be good with that, especially if Frazier is a one year deal. There was a TR Sullivan update I saw earlier that mentioned this being a possibility. (can't link right now).

KT 90
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I like Nicholas Castellanos....hes been a good bat and durable and only 27 YO

I feel like you count on: .285 27 HR and 80 RBIs

Todd Frazier??!?!
Ugh...not a fan...33YO with a really poor average...

Frazier on a one year deal is ok. Not optimal, but ok. He's at least a RH bat with power, and an upgrade over IKF. Buys another year for Jung/Apostel to continue to develop in the minors.

Last I saw, Donaldson is now looking for $110M over four years. Yikes, that's getting expensive for the back half of this age 30 years.
AggieDPT
AG
I'm okay with this.gif

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.