***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,597 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the issue with retrofitting a roof was a combination of very high cost and inability to do in one offseason. If I recall, it was estimated to cost $300-400mill or something like that, partly because beyond just building the roof (and supports), there are a lot of complexities and ripple effect of that have to be dealt with too.

Reality is that they realized they could bilk the Arlington taxpayer to pay a significant portion of something shiny and new. Thanks to the taxpayer, the Rangers ownership only has to spring an extra couple of hundred mill compared to adding a roof to the old, and for that extra investment, they get a brand spanking new stadium that I'm sure is designed to handle multi-use (more revenue) better than a 25 year old park with a roof slapped on it.
PatAg
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I think the issue with retrofitting a roof was a combination of very high cost and inability to do in one offseason. If I recall, it was estimated to cost $300-400mill or something like that, partly because beyond just building the roof (and supports), there are a lot of complexities and ripple effect of that have to be dealt with too.

Reality is that they realized they could bilk the Arlington taxpayer to pay a significant portion of something shiny and new. Thanks to the taxpayer, the Rangers ownership only has to spring an extra couple of hundred mill and they get a brand spanking new stadium that I'm sure is designed to handle multi-use (more revenue) better than a 25 year old park with a roof slapped on it.
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2020/06/the-best-documentary-ever-made-about-the-texas-rangers-new-stadium/
hawk1689
AG
I would also guess that the new park is more profitable per seat, ie more suites/premium seating.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I want the artist rendition and not the actual stadium
double aught
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Reality is that they realized they could bilk the Arlington taxpayer to pay a significant portion of something shiny and new. Thanks to the taxpayer, the Rangers ownership only has to spring an extra couple of hundred mill compared to adding a roof to the old, and for that extra investment, they get a brand spanking new stadium that I'm sure is designed to handle multi-use (more revenue) better than a 25 year old park with a roof slapped on it.
I really dislike the idea of tax dollars being used to subsidized ballparks for private teams. But ultimately, if citizens want the money spent that way, I guess I can accept it. The problem with Globe Life Field, though, is the way the team went about it.
  • Taxpayers were told there would be no increase in taxes, which is a gross misrepresentation. The Cowboys Stadium tax was about the be retired, and the ballpark one replaced it. That's a new tax in my book. To say otherwise is like buying a new car when you pay off your old one and acting like it's free because your monthly payment is the same.
  • Team ownership used thinly veiled threats that the team would leave town if the new stadium deal didn't pass, even though there were still eight years on their current lease at the time! The city of Dallas was used as a boogeyman. But in reality, there was almost no chance the team would move there even after those eight years were up. Dallas' sales tax is maxed out, making it highly improbable for the city to be able to produce the hundreds of millions needed to have a chance to lure the team away.

Not to mention the whole thing where the team is allowed to tax ticket sales and other things in order to pay for "their share" of the stadium. They pretty much conned the Arlington tax payers, and they fell for it.

And oh yeah, fake grass!
investorAg83
AG
Regarding your first bullet point and just playing devils advocate...if one is replacing the other, then there isn't an increase in taxes right? It's just the same. Your car analogy works but you'd never say the car was free and no one said the stadium was free; Just that it wouldn't increase your current tax expense. Which it didn't. New tax? Yes. Increase in taxes? No.

Complain about the final product if you want but the financing of the deal was outlined correctly.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I'm clueless on finances of minor league teams... But how do they survive this?!?!
Trucker 96
I think some of them won't. I expect to see a significant reduction of minor league teams at the end of this. I think the scaled down draft was step 1. Those lower levels are pretty bloated with so many rookie league and single A teams. MLB was already talking about reducing the system from 160 teams to 120 teams last fall before all of this mess came along. So I think we'll ultimately see at least that much reduction, and possibly more.
Proposition Joe
AccidentProne said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Proposition Joe said:

Was highly unlikely anyways, but "Opening Day" for this season not going to happen. If there's fans at games, the first game back won't be the "re-scheduled" OD.
Yep. What's the status on refunds? It's already June 18th and we're one month away from the original All Star break.

We should be rolling out a plan in the next week or two. There will be options for refunds

Still crickets from the ticket office.

Not you AP, as I know you don't make these decisions -- but this is absolutely shameful from the higher ups in the ticket office.
Mr Gigem
AG
My understanding is we are sending out an email as soon as the new schedule is released
AgBQ-00
AG
So are players showing up for Spring Training 2.0 tomorrow? Would be great to see some kind of baseball if even just practice this weekend.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
KT 90
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

So are players showing up for Spring Training 2.0 tomorrow? Would be great to see some kind of baseball if even just practice this weekend.

At this point, they could just show a live feed of batting practice on FSSW and people would tune in and watch.
sburg2007
AgBQ-00 said:

Most are already there and stadium on lockdown from outsiders.
TDub
AG
Finally got to tour the new stadium today and I really enjoyed it! Walked by someone working wearing a maroon "12" hat and an Aggie Ring. Was that you accidentprone?
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Does it look better up close?
TDub
AG
Outside not so much but the inside is great. There's some areas that are kinda bland (maybe unfinished) but other than that i like it
double aught
AG
One of the few areas it could improve on the old ballpark is with an open concourse. I assume it has that.
KT 90
AG
Gallo tested positive of COVID19. It's been rumored but confirmed today in this report:

By David Adler @_dadler
20 minutes ago
Joey Gallo has tested positive for COVID-19, the Rangers confirmed Monday.
Gallo is asymptomatic and quarantining at home. The Rangers slugger was first tested on June 27 and received a positive result two days later.
After a follow-up test on June 30 came back negative, Gallo was tested again after 48 hours on July 2, and that test came back positive. Gallo will need to have two negative tests over a 24-hour period before he can return to the team.
Gallo granted permission for the Rangers to release his results.
The 26-year-old hit .253 with 22 home runs, 49 RBIs and a .986 OPS in 70 games last season, making his first career All-Star team before a fractured hamate bone in his right wrist ended his season in late July.

David Adler is a reporter for MLB.com based in New York.
Proposition Joe
No season tickets this year. If fans are allowed, socially distanced seats will be placed on sale to public (with potential season ticket holder presales).
Mr Gigem
AG
where you are seeing this?
AgBQ-00
AG

Schedule is out. Like the spitoon.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Is there a written schedule somewhere yet? The video thing is cute but I'd rather see it laid out.

Good news is based on the Astros schedule they decided to make all games against west coast teams start at 8:10 regardless of location so at least no 9:10 starts.
Mr Gigem
AG

Mr Gigem
AG
Sorry if that's a bad picture. Posting from my phone
Mr Gigem
AG
TEXAS RANGERS SCHEDULED TO PLAY COLORADO ROCKIES
IN FIRST REGULAR SEASON GAME AT GLOBE LIFE FIELD ON FRIDAY, JULY 24
Rangers 60-game schedule features A.L. and N.L. West Division opponents
Rangers and Rockies to play pair of exhibition games in Arlington, July 21-22

Arlington, Texas The Texas Rangers are scheduled to play the Colorado Rockies in the first regular season game ever at the new Globe Life Field on Friday, July 24 in the team's 2020 opener. The complete 2020 60-game schedule was announced today by Major League Baseball.

The Rangers will open the 2020 season with a five-game homestand against N.L. West Division opponents, facing the Rockies on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, July 24, 25, and 26. The club will then host the Arizona Diamondbacks in a two-game series on Tuesday and Wednesday, July 28-29 before going on a six-game, seven-day trip to San Francisco and Oakland.

The Rangers return home on Friday, August 7 for a six-game homestand that features a pair of A.L. West Division foes, the Los Angeles Angels and Seattle Mariners. Texas will be at home for 15 of 23 games between August 7 and 30. The club closes the regular season with a four-game series against the defending A.L. champion Houston Astros, September 24-27 at Globe Life Field.

In the abbreviated 60-game schedule in 2020, the Rangers will play 40 games versus A.L. West Division opponents, 20 at Globe Life Field and 20 on the road. That breaks down to three series and ten total games versus each A.L. West team. Texas will face the five N.L. West Division teams for 20 total contests, 10 at Globe Life Field and 10 on the road. That breaks down to eight total series, four home and four road. The Rangers will host every N.L. West club except San Francisco and will play at each N.L. West park except Los Angeles.

2020 game times were also announced today. For home games against Colorado and Houston, the normal game times will be 7:05 p.m. CT for weekday night games, 6:05 p.m. CT on Saturday, and 1:35 p.m. CT on Sunday. For home games against teams in the Pacific time zone (Arizona, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland, San Diego, Seattle), the normal game times will be 8:05 p.m. CT on weekday nights, 6:05 p.m. CT on Saturday, and 1:35 p.m. CT on Sunday. The club will play several weekday getaway games at 3:05 p.m. CT.

Per agreement with Major League Baseball, the Rangers will play 8:05 p.m. CT weekday night home games versus teams in the Pacific time zone with those clubs starting weekday night home games against Texas at 6:05 p.m. PT/8:05 p.m. CT. Please note that these weekday night game times may be adjusted if fans are allowed to attend 2020 Major League games.

Prior to the start of the regular season, the Rangers and Rockies will play a pair of exhibition games at Globe Life Field on Tuesday and Wednesday, July 21-22 with both contests starting at 7:05 p.m. CT.
_lefraud_
AG
All 10 games vs the Trastros in Sept. I guess that ensures the Rangers will have a shot to make a move late.
Mr Gigem
AG
For those wondering about fans
Quincey P. Morris
AG
8/14 to 8/30 is gonna be brutal. 17 straight games with no off day.
Proposition Joe
It will be standard across the league, including any teams still trying to get fans in the stands.

The only reason the Rangers still haven't announced it is because they are wanting to hold onto the money as long as possible under the guise of "still trying to determine things".

You're good people AP, but the organization is acting incredibly dishonestly.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

It will be standard across the league, including any teams still trying to get fans in the stands.

The only reason the Rangers still haven't announced it is because they are wanting to hold onto the money as long as possible under the guise of "still trying to determine things".

You're good people AP, but the organization is acting incredibly dishonestly.
No doubt about it, the rangers are showing that they don't give a damn about all the people who just helped them get an awesome brand new stadium.

The people of Arlington stepped up to the plate and got it done. Davis and Simpson has repaid these people by taking a giant crap on them during this whole pandemic. The front office has acted very childish throughout the entire thing.

These losers don't care about what's going on in the news right now with the corona virus. They've already forced their employees to come back to the office while other teams have not and they keep citing a very outdated 50% capacity rule for attendance from the governor as the official attendance policy.

Nothing but a complete and total disregard for the financial and personal well being of fans during an unprecedented crisis.
wbt5845
AG
I'm more than a little frustrated right now. i haven't pestered AP cause he can't do anything about it.
Mr Gigem
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

I'm more than a little frustrated right now. i haven't pestered AP cause he can't do anything about it.
But I still can't help but feel like I have personally let you down
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Dude, you've been great to bring us inside information we wouldn't normally have. Thanks again. It's disheartening to hear the lack of professionalism and sincerity at the highest level of the front office of my fav MLB team at
Legal Custodian
AG
I don't understand how this hasn't become more of a local story. I figured the DMN would be all over this, do people really just not care?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.