***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

242,001 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
MLBTR just posted:

Quote:

The Rangers missed the playoffs for the third straight year in 2019, but with a new ballpark set to open next season, it appears they're serious about returning to contention immediately. The Rangers gave right-handed starter Kyle Gibson a three-year, $30MM guarantee last week, though that deal could pale in comparison to the highest award they dole out this winter. The club's in pursuit of the best free-agent position player on the market in third baseman Anthony Rendon, as it met with him and agent Scott Boras in Houston on Sunday, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. The Rangers haven't made a contract offer yet, per Grant, but "several executives" have indicated they're the favorites to sign him, Bob Nightengale of USA Today sports tweets.

They also have us still in pursuit of Wheeler even if we sign Rendon.
KT 90
KT 90
AG
But I have a hard time seeing both Rendon and Wheeler. One of those would be nice though.
KT 90
AG

Grapesoda2525
Sounds like Rendon is 1A and Wheeler is a distant, but still very important 1B
Grapesoda2525
Rossko
AG
Rendon hitting 3 hole to open the new park would be exciting. Maybe Jung can learn 1B over the next two years.
Mr Gigem
AG
I don't understand why there's someone on this board who insists the payroll will be capped at $160million. Unless you work in the front office and have direct knowledge of what ownership plans to spend, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Bringing in big name free agents can open a lot of doors in regards to revenue streams that would make increasing the payroll actually makes sense.

Why don't we just let this play out and see what happens.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm pretty sure the $500 million they secured from the city of Arlington was to build the new stadium. That's in addition to the $700+ million they secured from the bank. Non of that should have been allocated towards increasing payroll. There are other monies for that
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Wonder what this is about.
Mr Gigem
AG
Uni unveiling tomorrow
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AccidentProne said:

Uni unveiling tomorrow

I was wondering if that was coming. Too bad. It's interesting to change things up a bit, but I really like the current iteration.
PatAg
AG
AccidentProne said:

Uni unveiling tomorrow
tell me there is something with a baby blue or sky blue in it
Danny Vermin
The baby blue is so fantastic and reminds me of my childhood .
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just hope they don't go the Marlins or Diamondbacks route.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

MLBTR has Wheeler bids currently at 5yr $20M per. This is one of the reasons I'm cynical. JD loses either way. Would he give 5 yrs to Wheeler? A 29 yr old RHP who has been subject to injuries? That is a losing bid long-term, which is why a team like CWS is rumored to be in the mix.

Rendon is rumored to be at the highest annual salary of a player, which likely means fewer years than some of the recent big contracts. 29. More likely a .300/25HR guy and not the .319, 34 HR guy. $35M for 7 years?!

I could see Wheeler @ 4yr/$20M... at the top end... and Rendon @ 4yrs/$30M... maybe... but whomever signs those guys for the longer number of years, is likely either looking at a short window to plug a missing piece and can afford a bad contract (Dodgers and Rendon), or looking to sign a guy to appease fans (CWS and Wheeler) with no real plan to build a sustained winner.

JD likely walks away from those bets and in doing so, annoys fans like me because so much was said about what they would do in the offseason. Not signing would be the right thing to do (like letting Darvish go), and JD would be able to justify a lower payroll... but this game was all so predictable.

JD was at his best when we had little idea what he was working in, and it came out if the blue.
I'd pay Rendon whatever it takes. 162 games of ****y 3rd base is enough for me.

We've also had a huge problem with first base over the years. We really haven't had a good one since Mark teixera. Why can't we just sign Rendon for 7 years and move Jung to first if need be?
Mr Gigem
AG
You sure like to speculate. I like your analysis most of the time, but this is getting annoying. You have no idea what's going to happen, but you just assume the worst. It's annoying. Stop
Grapesoda2525
AccidentProne said:

You sure like to speculate. I like your analysis most of the time, but this is getting annoying. You have no idea what's going to happen, but you just assume the worst. It's annoying. Stop
I don't mind him. He spends too much time defending odor, although I guess the same could be said that I spend too much time attacking odor.

I just want players to have to earn their playing time and coaches to play the best player available. Odor didn't really give woodward a reason to play him most of last year given how awful he was.
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Rendon is rumored to be at the highest annual salary of a player, which likely means fewer years than some of the recent big contracts. 29. More likely a .300/25HR guy and not the .319, 34 HR guy. $35M for 7 years?!

I could see Wheeler @ 4yr/$20M... at the top end... and Rendon @ 4yrs/$30M... maybe... but whomever signs those guys for the longer number of years, is likely either looking at a short window to plug a missing piece and can afford a bad contract (Dodgers and Rendon), or looking to sign a guy to appease fans (CWS and Wheeler) with no real plan to build a sustained winner.
Rendon is in the middle of his prime. The only reason to think he regresses is pessimism. A guy named Beltre showed up to play 3rd at age 32 and that worked out pretty well. I hope we land Rendon because he will be a game changer for at least 4-5 years. I would have no issue giving him a 7 year deal.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Probably for the best at this point. His price is skyrocketing past what seems reasonable.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rendon is in the middle of his prime. The only reason to think he regresses is pessimism. A guy named Beltre showed up to play 3rd at age 32 and that worked out pretty well. I hope we land Rendon because he will be a game changer for at least 4-5 years. I would have no issue giving him a 7 year deal.
As a frequent Rangers poster/Nationals fan, I'll say this:

I would sign Rendon thinking I'll get .300 with 25 homers and take any .320 with 35 homers seasons I get as a special bonus.

He's a great player and .300, 25 home runs you'll take all day long, but last year was definitely a significant step up, offensively, from what he had done in the past.

As far as Adrian Beltre, that obviously worked out for the Rangers. Prior to that, Seattle signed him to a big deal just after he went .334 with 48 home runs with the Dodgers, and posted a nearly identical OPS as Rendon just did. He never got close to that in Seattle. He had to take a pay cut on a 1-year deal with Boston to kind of re-establish himself.

Sign Rendon, hopefully he sustains the MVP level play. Scott Boras is certainly going to have a field day talking up his client's season, though.
Mr Gigem
AG
Baby blue will be a color
AggieDPT
AG
AccidentProne said:

Baby blue will be a color
Mr Gigem
AG
Rangers script on the front
alvtimes
Wheeler to Phillies..... Waiting on JD.
. . .

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm a fan. I had some serious concerns about what they might do.
AggieDPT
AG
Love those unis
hph6203
AG
Powder blues don't look as good as the old ones.
chick79
AG
I like the unis. Thankfully Odor was not one of the models.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.