***** Official 2019/2020 Texas Rangers Off Season Thread *****

238,904 Views | 2466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggie_3
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sburg2007 said:

Yes those clowns are still blocking out games.
That **** needs to end ASAP
sburg2007
It's idiotic because they're killing themselves. Folks in middle America that have no local teams will have upwards of SIX clubs blacked out. It's asinine to bend over to these cable providers the way they do.
double aught
AG
Legal Custodian said:

On the opposite spectrum, this looks pretty bad ass

Yes, that is a pretty great view through the window.
CampingAg
AG
Toured the park today with my buddy who's a die-hard Astros fan. He kept talking about how sharp it looked, and on the way home said it was better than Minute Maid (Disclaimer: nothing against Minute Maid. I really like that park).

My thoughts: Looks goofy from the sky, looks better from ground level (especially the north side by Texas Live), looks best on the inside. Speakeasy was really neat. Probably the only time in my life I'll be in there.

I also learned that you are allowed to move the roof once per game? I thought it couldn't move once the game started. If this is the case, will we see the roof open up in the 7th or 8th inning in the summertime? Let us enjoy some outdoor baseball while the AC lingers around to keep things from being unbearable? I think Minute Maid used to do that when they first opened.
Grapesoda2525
CampingAg said:

Toured the park today with my buddy who's a die-hard Astros fan. He kept talking about how sharp it looked, and on the way home said it was better than Minute Maid (Disclaimer: nothing against Minute Maid. I really like that park).

My thoughts: Looks goofy from the sky, looks better from ground level (especially the north side by Texas Live), looks best on the inside. Speakeasy was really neat. Probably the only time in my life I'll be in there.

I also learned that you are allowed to move the roof once per game? I thought it couldn't move once the game started. If this is the case, will we see the roof open up in the 7th or 8th inning in the summertime? Let us enjoy some outdoor baseball while the AC lingers around to keep things from being unbearable? I think Minute Maid used to do that when they first opened.
I don't like the idea of them constantly moving the roof back and forth.

I wish they would just leave it shut completely from the end of may until the beginning of September.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm sure the roof will be closed 90+% of the time, just like it is at Jerry World, Mmp and Reliant.
CampingAg
AG
Yeah I'm sure it will be. But I think it'd be nice to watch the last two innings under the night sky.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It'll cost them too much to open the roof for 2 innings!
TXAggie2011
AG
You've always been so dramatic about the heat.

I think there are plenty of summer Texas evenings where the temperatures are just fine after the sun starts to set.
Grapesoda2525
TXAggie2011 said:

You've always been so dramatic about the heat.

I think there are plenty of summer Texas evenings where the temperatures are just fine after the sun starts to set.
Well..

The whole point of this ballparks existence is because the team screwed up by building the other park outside and people *****ed about that for 20+ years.

The people want air conditioning dammit and I say give them a huge freaking dose of it.
TV Casualty
AG
You would think that they could open it up on nights where it somewhere around 80 degrees.

I bet though that the first time they open it up and they get a few complaints from season ticket holders the roof will stay shut pretty much all the time.
_lefraud_
AG
The Rangers organization has made it very clear they don't give two ****s about season ticket holders over the past 4 months.
Proposition Joe
Yeah season ticket holders have little to no say.

As far as the roof - it will be closed the vast majority of the time as others have said. The team wouldn't have got the votes had they pitched an all-indoor stadium though.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Curious how those dimensions are going to play out. Anything in the vicinity of center is going to take a poke, but the alleys are a sizeable chunk shorter and down the line is a bit shorter too.
Proposition Joe
Rangers finally send 2020 info out to season ticket holders. No mention of refunds, 5% "credit" towards merch/tickets/food... and you have to designate that beforehand, so of course once they know where people plan on applying this credit they can markup those categories for 2021 accordingly.

So in short, the Rangers just will hold people's money during a pandemic for what amounts to 12 months (after they were already holding it for around 8 months from initial deposit/payment to what would have been 2020 opening day).

What a rotten organization.
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Rangers finally send 2020 info out to season ticket holders. No mention of refunds, 5% "credit" towards merch/tickets/food... and you have to designate that beforehand, so of course once they know where people plan on applying this credit they can markup those categories for 2021 accordingly.

So in short, the Rangers just will hold people's money during a pandemic for what amounts to 12 months (after they were already holding it for around 8 months from initial deposit/payment to what would have been 2020 opening day).

What a rotten organization.

A sales representative will be calling you to answer any questions you may have, including information on refunds, and to discuss the 2020 and 2021 baseball seasons. Again, we appreciate your partnership with the Texas Rangers Baseball Club and wish you and yours good health and safety during these times.

Edit: unless you have premium seats with a multi-year contract. Then that is a different story

Proposition Joe
I stand corrected. Still don't like them not mentioning anything in the email. Why make people jump through hoops when no other organization did?

Is this going to be one of those "we'll see if we can get it approved" like the paper mentioned?
Mr Gigem
AG
If you have non-premium seats, you have options for refunds. Just mark in the questionnaire that you don't want to roll the money over and it should end the survey immediately. Then that will prompt your rep to contact you
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't know how all the clubs are handling this, but the Nationals up here in DC posted their policies over 2 months ago, online in clear language for the world to see. https://www.mlb.com/nationals/schedule/updates

Short version: Automatic 100% credit for any games missed plus 50% credit, with options for refunds.

And, whether you're a current season ticket holder or not, you want to buy a 2021 plan, they're giving 50% credits if you buy by October 1.
Mr Gigem
AG
Sounds like a great deal for a team, despite just winning a World Series, is still struggling to get more season ticket holders.

Looking at their current season ticket prices, a 50% credit is potentially a massive payout.

Also, is that just for NEW buyers? Or does that also apply to current season ticket holders?
TXAggie2011
AG
Sorry, yes, that's for new buyers only. Obviously trying to get some cash flow and drawing in some new ticket holders. I think its a pretty good deal.
Proposition Joe
Nats had one of the best of all the MLB teams from what I read.

Most teams offered 10-15%, all of them back in May or early June.

Late July and 5% is kind of a slap in the face.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

I stand corrected. Still don't like them not mentioning anything in the email. Why make people jump through hoops when no other organization did?

Is this going to be one of those "we'll see if we can get it approved" like the paper mentioned?
Don't forget supposedly one of the reasons they sat on people's money for so long is that they kept citing an outdated policy from the governor several months ago that the state of Texas allows big crowds of 50% capacity. Obviously, they never bothered to ask Governor Abbott for clarification ( or an update) as the status of the pandemic had changed in Texas since he stated said policy.

They had no regard for Ranger fans health and were hoping Abbott forgot to update the policy so that they can fill half of the stadium. It should seem obvious with the pandemic getting worse that fans wouldn't be allowed.

*******s.

Proposition Joe
The reason they held the money had little to do with hoping they could fill half the stadium. Reduced capacity was going to require new seating manifests, so your 2020 season ticket specific location would play little role in where you would sit for the reduced capacity games.

Add to that, teams have known since late March that the possibility of playing an 81 game home schedule, reduced capacity or not, was simply not going to happen - that's why you saw other teams start refunding at least partially in March/April/May... They understood that this was a crisis and holding people's money wasn't the right thing to do.

Highly questionable morals from whomever is in charge of the ticket office.
Trucker 96
Ray Davis and Bob Simpson have been taking a decent bath in the oil market, and pretty clear somewhere along the way they've skewed to running this team where watching the pennies is first and foremost. So I think the delay and stingy credit approach is purely from the fact that they need the $$$. I feel like we are reliving the Tom Hicks era. Enthusiasm and spending early on. Then after some years passed and partly thanks to troubles in the rest of the portfolio, the organization starts getting the squeeze. And obviously, this turned out to be a terrible year to have built a new stadium.
Trucker 96
Big picture, I'm really hoping these guys put the team on the market soon. Hard to do during the pandemic, but I'm hoping they see a chance to cash out once things stabilize in the next year or two. The stadium and how much was funded by taxpayers should provide the opportunity to walk away with a very tidy profit.
Grapesoda2525
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Big picture, I'm really hoping these guys put the team on the market soon. Hard to do during the pandemic, but I'm hoping they see a chance to cash out once things stabilize in the next year or two. The stadium and how much was funded by taxpayers should provide the opportunity to walk away with a very tidy profit.
They really should.

They seem to want to run the rangers like we're Tampa bay or Oakland. Unfortunately, our scouts and our front office aren't as smart as those 2 teams and we can't seem to put together good teams from scratch at all or with a shoe string budget.
PatAg
AG
Maybe it gives Cuban another chance to buy. He said before he fully moved on, but I doubt he would expect it to be back on the market soon (if it did happen)
duck79
AG
So are they holding you to a certain retention percentage? I understand why the calls have to go thru the reps but man I assume it is going to suck answering calls the next 2-3 weeks.
Mr Gigem
AG
Not that I'm aware of. I think there's an understanding that it is a very challenging time and there's an expectation we do our best to retain accounts.

The good news is one of the refund options is to only have 80% of your money refunded and to leave to 20% on file to retain your seats for 2021.
Proposition Joe
This should have been offered out of the gate in June. Most people are more than willing to stay comitted for 2021, but to leave us twisting in the wind for so long probably netted you less renewals.

When you have a lot of people's money for events not taking place, commhnication is key.
Dallasag02
AG
PatAg said:

Maybe it gives Cuban another chance to buy. He said before he fully moved on, but I doubt he would expect it to be back on the market soon (if it did happen)

I doubt he's interested now. I think his interest was closely tied to building a new ballpark on the south side of downtown. I think it was in large part a real estate deal for him.
Mr Gigem
AG
I doubt it nets us less renewals. I've not had much negative feedback, and the fact that we are actually offering refund options definitely helps. Although I do agree that we probably should have offered this much sooner

However...I will say that we had planned to send this email out about 45 days ago but the commissioners office was dragging their feet on giving us approval
investorAg83
AG
Can we move on from this refund BS? We have a game today!
KT 90
AG
investorAg83 said:

Can we move on from this refund BS? We have a game today!

Is it on tv, or just streaming from the website?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.